The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

I cancelled my account today because I'm unable to find enough guild mates, friends or people online with any interest in running FP's or any group content.

I used the LFG tool in WoW every day to run dungeons and heroics, I found it met my need for gameplay in a 2 hour timeblock. I rarely ran into loot, social, or group issues that continue to get mentioned here. Actually it opened up more content and a more diverse player base than I had been accustomed to. Which in turn enhanced my gameplay and allowed me to stay a member of the community for a greater period of time. In other words, it was fun and I enjoyed the unique challenges that came with unique random groups. Not just the same 4 or 5 guild mates running through the same content like you have now is SWTOR.

SWTOR has a great deal of improvements and enhancements to make before I or any of my friends even begin to think about coming back.

That is very important and I had forgotten about it until I read your post.

LFD drops you into random groups. 1 tank of a random type. 1 healer of a random type. 2 DPS of a random type.

I played a healer in WoW. I really did enjoy bouncing into a mixed composition group and seeing what happened. I remember once I got this tank who was so good and so well geared he didn't take damage. I asked him to remove some armor so I'd have something to do. He did. That was a great moment in gaming that I'd never have had if not for the X-LFG tool.

Sometimes I got into groups with bads. Not underperforming players, but idiots who would behave badly. We usually kicked and replaced them, but sometimes if the rest of the group was good enough we'd 3-man it. That was fun, too, and brought a challenge when sometimes there wouldn't have been one otherwise. Of course with pets here, the same scenario might not be as challenging.

After playing SWTOR I have no desire to go back to WoW, but I think the longer I have to go without a quick, easy way to get a group, the more likely I am to cancel my subscription here. :(

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love how everything works fine on one server, but when you enable cross server suddenly theres an imbalance in classes and half the people are trolls and afk'ers. Like they just pop up when you enable cross server queues.

I agree with this. The amount of whining and horrible behavoir from the WoW community after lfd and lfr were implemented was intolerable. If such a thing goes live in swtor I will be immensly dissapointed and just move on to another game.

This is my feeling as well. I love WoW and would almost certainly still be playing that game if I didn't have to put up with so many obnoxious people. After two years of LFG, my server became totally dysfunctional. I found another server that seemed friendlier, and in less than a year that server was just like the other one. It was the people, not the game, that caused me to quit. If the GMs had been willing to whip out the ban stick occasionally, things might've played out differently. Instead they seemed to ignore or even condone offensive behavior, which caused the player base to skew increasingly nasty.

To the guy who claims only 1% of random queues were problematic: I imagine you're fudging the statistics to support your own position. If not, count yourself lucky. From my experience, it was more like 10% hostile and 20% incompetent (i.e., multiple wipes). I guess 30% bad may sound okay if you're desperate to run flashpoints, but keep in mind that the other 70% weren't exactly great either, since most people couldn't even be bothered to type 'Hi' before they started pulling. The bad experiences also tended to be far more memorable.

I'm going to tell the LFG people what I wish someone had told me three years ago: stop complaining and join a guild. Even on my stinky light-pop server, there are three guilds actively recruiting for all levels. I ran through almost every flashpoint at the correct level because I had a guild. I'm running hard modes 3-5 days a week now because I have a guild. If you have decent social skills and are willing to play a tank or healer, it's actually very easy to find groups for flashpoints (not so much for heroics; nobody wants to do those). If you don't have social skills, why are you playing an MMO?

The LFG will create more problems than it solves.

I cancelled my account today because I'm unable to find enough guild mates, friends or people online with any interest in running FP's or any group content.

I used the LFG tool in WoW every day to run dungeons and heroics, I found it met my need for gameplay in a 2 hour timeblock. I rarely ran into loot, social, or group issues that continue to get mentioned here. Actually it opened up more content and a more diverse player base than I had been accustomed to. Which in turn enhanced my gameplay and allowed me to stay a member of the community for a greater period of time. In other words, it was fun and I enjoyed the unique challenges that came with unique random groups. Not just the same 4 or 5 guild mates running through the same content like you have now is SWTOR.

SWTOR has a great deal of improvements and enhancements to make before I or any of my friends even begin to think about coming back.

I get it. You can't play the game how you want andyou have left. Not every game has to be for everyone. I think that merging servers and implementing a *same server* lfd tool would be a good thing to do, and encourage people to be a community. However, I feel that a cross server lfd does nothing to improve a mmo game. If there is a way to group with specific people that you meet and interact with across server again if you so choose, a "friends list", then fine, I say bringit on. But I think that if there are 10-20 servers constantly low pop, there needs to be merges first, before BW starts with cross server tools.

This is my feeling as well. I love WoW and would almost certainly still be playing that game if I didn't have to put up with so many obnoxious people. After two years of LFG, my server became totally dysfunctional. I found another server that seemed friendlier, and in less than a year that server was just like the other one. It was the people, not the game, that caused me to quit. If the GMs had been willing to whip out the ban stick occasionally, things might've played out differently. Instead they seemed to ignore or even condone offensive behavior, which caused the player base to skew increasingly nasty.

To the guy who claims only 1% of random queues were problematic: I imagine you're fudging the statistics to support your own position. If not, count yourself lucky. From my experience, it was more like 10% hostile and 20% incompetent (i.e., multiple wipes). I guess 30% bad may sound okay if you're desperate to run flashpoints, but keep in mind that the other 70% weren't exactly great either, since most people couldn't even be bothered to type 'Hi' before they started pulling. The bad experiences also tended to be far more memorable.

I'm going to tell the LFG people what I wish someone had told me three years ago: stop complaining and join a guild. Even on my stinky light-pop server, there are three guilds actively recruiting for all levels. I ran through almost every flashpoint at the correct level because I had a guild. I'm running hard modes 3-5 days a week now because I have a guild. If you have decent social skills and are willing to play a tank or healer, it's actually very easy to find groups for flashpoints (not so much for heroics; nobody wants to do those). If you don't have social skillsEDIT:And willing to play a tank or healer by your admission, why are you playing an MMO?

That doesn't work, if the X-LFD is such a problem then why don't you take your own advice and join a guild? No reason to knock one of the most success tools in MMORPG history because you don't like it

Edited by Touchbass

Also the ludricous gear requirements to run HM's (you can't find a group for normal instances, tyvm gear ladder system) are insane as everyone wants "quick easy HM, be geared plz".

I wanted to point out that it's pretty easy to get geared for hard modes. You just need to run 1-2 weeks worth of daily quests on Ilum and Belsavis, so you can upgrade the armoring/mods/enhancements in your orange gear and purchase one Rakata earpiece or implant. If you stalk the GTN, you'll probably find crafted pieces or drops that will take you the rest of the way. My guild has crafted epic bracers and belts, since those are the only difficult pieces to find in orange gear. I wouldn't bother running the level 50 normals at all until release 1.2 because many of the bosses currently drop green gear. You're not likely to get many upgrades there.

Fully upgraded orange gear will in most cases have better stats than the Tionese gear, since the tier gear prioritizes endurance over your primary stat, although you may still want to buy two pieces of that to get the set bonus.

I get it. You can't play the game how you want andyou have left. Not every game has to be for everyone. I think that merging servers and implementing a *same server* lfd tool would be a good thing to do, and encourage people to be a community. However, I feel that a cross server lfd does nothing to improve a mmo game. If there is a way to group with specific people that you meet and interact with across server again if you so choose, a "friends list", then fine, I say bringit on. But I think that if there are 10-20 servers constantly low pop, there needs to be merges first, before BW starts with cross server tools.

You need to stop expecting a server merge. EA owns BioWare. EA is a publicly traded company. If they merge servers, they are, to the investing community, admitting "defeat". Their stock price will be impacted.

You are far more likely to see x-lfd than a server merge as the earlier action.

That doesn't work, if the X-LFD is such a problem then why don't you take your own advice and join a guild? No reason to knock one of the most success tools in MMORPG history because you don't like it

I think I stated 3 times that I did join a guild, and it worked. I have queues whenever I want them.

I think I also stated that my objection to an x-lfg tool is that it poisons the player base whether I use it or not.

As far as it being "one of the most success tools in MMORPG history" ask yourself why this game is full of WoW refugees. Almost everyone in my guild came here from WoW.

I use LFD several times a week in Rift, and have for many months.

It works fine, and I've not experienced any of the poor behavior people experienced in WoW.

I'm not sure why WoW seems to have had such an amazingly bad community.

It's sad that it did.

You need to stop expecting a server merge. EA owns BioWare. EA is a publicly traded company. If they merge servers, they are, to the investing community, admitting "defeat". Their stock price will be impacted.

You are far more likely to see x-lfd than a server merge as the earlier action.

I understand that the modern mmo gamer has no time to play games but plays them anyway while whinging about the lack of time.

Seriously. If you cba to make friends and contacts in a game designed around social interaction go play a single player game. Please stop trying to turn mmos into solo games?

Not trying to be rude, but if you don't have time to do something while others do, it seems unfair to request the whole game be changed for you- and anyways, its not the same game you wanted to play once it's sped up and made accessable to the whole spectrum, is it?

I will mention chess...played by many, not played by many. If you like the game, you play it. I haven't heard too many people complain that they don't have time or brainpower to play chess so the game has to be changed so they can enjoy it too...

Edited by Kaititiro

I think I stated 3 times that I did join a guild, and it worked. I have queues whenever I want them.

I think I also stated that my objection to an x-lfg tool is that it poisons the player base whether I use it or not.

As far as it being "one of the most success tools in MMORPG history" ask yourself why this game is full of WoW refugees. Almost everyone in my guild came here from WoW.

Well, I will admit that I'm an ex-wow player. and proud of it. *that I quit that crappy game*

But I, Like a good many people left wow because of a terrible expansion and poorly implemented revamped class system.

I actually enjoyed my gaming time more with a lfg tool then i did before, and I played from the last year of classic all the way 4 months into cataclysm, Then I moved to rift and then to swtor.

Over the course of time it has become abundantly apparent that since it's implementation in world of warcraft the LFG-Tool has become an expected norm. Imagine trying to drive a car with out wheels, you wouldn't get vary far. The LFG-Tool is revolutionary in its function, It allows people who wouldn't have normally had the opportunity to step into a hardmode flashpoint the chance at experiencing the game.

I DID my time in wow classic, I don't want to face another mmo where the only way to play the content is to change factions, join a massive guild, and put up with the abuse and extortion that went on in those days. You know perhaps I'd like to enjoy my 15$/month investment AND down content.

When the LFG tool first released I think I poo'ed myself at how fast i could get into a group as a tank or as a healer. I cant imagine how many people on my own server I've helped in their progression simply by running heroics with them in the LFG-que long after i was fully geared. I got to make friends on other servers, meet people I wouldn't have other wise, learn a few tricks i wouldn't have otherwise.

I find that most of the anti-lfg Roderic is based solely on antisocial agenda's or to prevent progressions of independent players and smaller guilds from getting world and server firsts.

A LFG tool is a great idea, and a much needed one at that. The game seems wanting with out one.

Cross-server queues sound great in theory. In fact, I was a huge proponent of them in WoW because I thought it would help me get more gear in less time. Six months later it became a lesson in be careful what you wish for.

Frankly I don't understand why everyone thinks bioware would copy a LFD design without addressing its shortcomings. At any rate your worst case scenario is certainly better than spamming for 2h, not finding anyone and just giving up.

And what the hell are you supposed to do meanwhile? Sit in fleet because theres no official global channel? Yes, the game forcing me to sit with my arms crossed at fleet because I want to find a group for 2h makes for a terribad gaming experience.

LFD or cross server LFD in "slumbering" servers would centainly help, despite all its possible problems. I can think of a way or two to easily ameliorate the situations you described, and no, its not votekick.

Edited by sensiblepoast

Hmm? Last time I checked we weren't getting one of these things.

Getting it for PvP

NOT getting it for PvE, which will be single server LFG.

I have no clue why this dead horse is still being flogged.

Edited by Andryah

Getting it for PvP

NOT getting it for PvE, which will be single server LFG.

I have no clue why this dead horse is still being flogged.

Cause it needs to have the parameters build first like in WoW through the use of X-PvP. Next will come X-LFD. More people want X-LFD then those who don't want it :p

I'm going to tell the LFG people what I wish someone had told me three years ago: stop complaining and join a guild. Even on my stinky light-pop server, there are three guilds actively recruiting for all levels. I ran through almost every flashpoint at the correct level because I had a guild. I'm running hard modes 3-5 days a week now because I have a guild. If you have decent social skills and are willing to play a tank or healer, it's actually very easy to find groups for flashpoints (not so much for heroics; nobody wants to do those). If you don't have social skills, why are you playing an MMO?

People have different experiences, and as you yourself pointed out, remember the bad more so than the good.

In WoW, I rarely had a bad LFG experience. And I used the LFG all the time, even though I had a great guild that competes for server first hard mode kills. In fact I found my guild through a group in LFG.

Why did I use LFG?

Because there are plenty of times I'd want do group content that my guildies were not on or available. Times when I was on at odd hours, times when I logged on just after a group started, times when I was leveling an alt.

Saying players shouldn't have the option of being able to fill a group or make a group with other players from all servers that all want to do the same content because you had bad experiences is just being selfish.

As to your idea that everyone should join the perfect guild where everyone logs on at the same time all wanting to do the same thing in perfect groups of four, Fantasyland is that way ------>

Edited by DawnAskham

I agree with this. The amount of whining and horrible behavoir from the WoW community after lfd and lfr were implemented was intolerable. If such a thing goes live in swtor I will be immensly dissapointed and just move on to another game.

LMFAO it will happen here it is just a matter of time..

Oh and good luck finding a game WITHOUT a cross server lfg system!

I fully support a cross-server LFG system. In fact, I think they should have had that in the game from release.

I waited for years for WoW to get one, then as soon as they did, I left to come to this game without one :(

Cause it needs to have the parameters build first like in WoW through the use of X-PvP. Next will come X-LFD. More people want X-LFD then those who don't want it :p

Nonsense.

Bioware has already said they are concerned about the negative community impacts on servers from cross server LFG for PvE, so no cross server LFG for PvE.

I'm sure they will revisit it in the future, but for now no cross server LFG.

LMFAO it will happen here it is just a matter of time..

Oh and good luck finding a game WITHOUT a cross server lfg system!

When everything goes free to play pay to win, you might wish you didn' t ignore the writing on the wall. You can play farmville now, not sure why everything has to be the same thing with different graphics.

Nonsense.

Bioware has already said they are concerned about the negative community impacts on servers from cross server LFG for PvE, so no cross server LFG for PvE.

I'm sure they will revisit it in the future, but for now no cross server LFG.

Actually in a recent interview they did state that cross server was some thing that was on the table and being looked at.

Way back they said that they didnt want to do cross server pvp ether. But you see now they are already putting that in game.

Every game is coming out with cross server lfg systems. its just a matter of time before BW does also!