The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

If you don't want to use a x-server LFG tool don't use it and group with your friends or guild or spam chat for hours, but don't stop the rest of us who work or have families or study or have real social lives from being able to login and queue and get a group at any hour we please. Just to please the %1 and not let people choose to be able to use a x-server tool is just selfish.

How about give people the option to choose?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't want to use a x-server LFG tool don't use it and group with your friends or guild or spam chat for hours, but don't stop the rest of us who work or have families or study or have real social lives from being able to login and queue and get a group at any hour we please. Just to please the %1 and not let people choose to be able to use a x-server tool is just selfish.

How about give people the option to choose?

because these people don't care about what others want nor what's actually best for the game....they only care about what THEY want..and since they don't like it, for whatever reason, none of us should have it

Your last point makes the assumption that the community will be miserable without a cross server fully automated system. That also does not answer how can communicating with players from another server temporary improve your current community. Are the bonds between the server members strengthened? People joining more guilds, making more friends etc on the server increase via this communication? I am curious.

The point is that without a system that enables reasonably quick access to flashpoints, the community will shrink by the number of players who want to spend a lot of their time in flashpoints but feel frustrated because they spend more of their game-time waiting than they do playing.

If the community shrinks, the number of players you can communicate with... shrinks.

We already have fast(ish) access to warzones. The tool assembles groups for us and automatically dumps us into the warzones. BioWare has committed to making that tool cross-server.

So I have some questions:

1) Why isn't the anti-x-server LFG community railing against x-server LFW?

2) If you believe x-server LFG will destroy community, do you also believe x-server LFW will?

3) Why should the PvP community get better / more tools than the PvE community?

Ok during the duration of the flashpoint you can communicate with those few people... Then what? You can't nurture pr strengthen those bonds at a later date unless you leave your current community and join theirs.
No, that's not true.

in wow, you can friend them and do dungeons and even raids* will them. They'll be making this work better in the future as well with the battletag system (which gives people better privacy).

* I think you can do raids now; i think it went in with the same patch that added the Raid finder. If not, it's in the works for the near future.

Your last point makes the assumption that the community will be miserable without a cross server fully automated system.
I think he's making the non-assumption assertion that it is currently miserable without a cross server fully automated system.

That also does not answer how can communicating with players from another server temporary improve your current community.
At that point, my community isn't just my server anymore... it's all the friends I make, whether they're on my server or cross server.

People joining more guilds, making more friends etc on the server increase via this communication? I am curious.
I've seen people talking about this happening in rift; it has a really easy server transfer mechanism (free transfer each week, can move guilds), or did last time I checked.

so... yes.

Edited by ferroz

I guess ats_beowulfe or anyone else didn't have an answer for my question.
I didn't see it actually...

Genuine curiosity. How does a fully automated cross server system allow players to communicate with each other?

you: *queue up in a random pug

you: /party hey they everyone

*everyone completes flashpoint while chatting with each other*

you: /party good run; mind if I add you to my friend's list?

<person.fromAnotherServer>: sure, see ya around

you: /friend <person.fromAnotherServer>

later that week

you: /w fromAnotherServer.person hey <person> how's it goin; wanna run a flashpoint? (based on the sytax for doing a cross server tell in EQ)

person.fromAnotherServer: sure, just gimme a sec

person.fromAnotherServer: ok, ready for invite

you: *right click on his entry in the friends list and click invite*

I mean, obvious answer is obvious.

Also the community in this sense would be considered the server wouldn't it, so how does communicating with another server improve the server community?
No, community means a lot of different things; talking with them strengthen's the game community.

I'd like to point out that cross server LFG does not help with heroic quests.
Why not? The entire world is isntanced. if you're in a party with someone in a different instance, you can jump to their instance. There's nothing that actually prevents bioware from making that work cross server.

because these people don't care about what others want nor what's actually best for the game.
sure they do, they just don't agree with you as to what is best for the game. Edited by ferroz

As great the tool is working in WoW i dont want to see it here.

I love to make dates witzh my friends at the evening to go into hardmodes and i totaly made alot of new friends by looking for groups with people from my realm.

I disliked the faceless nameless not speaking people refusing to join teamspeak rolling on stuff they dont need and leave quick people from the dungeon tool.

For me it was always the "find dumb people who have no friends and want to play an mmo alone" button.

Id rather see server capacitys highly increased and 3-5 servers merdged to make the population hudge per server but meeting people on my server and not crossrealm. (while crossrealm for pvp is ok btw but its also great to talk after the match with friends and foes)

sure they do, they just don't agree with you as to what is best for the game.

you keep telling yourselves the game is better off without it while the population dwindles more and more as people leave in frustration over boredom and not being able to get groups together. Meanwhile wanting to deny something that only keeps people longer because they can go about their business while queue'd up and lose MINIMAL amount of time.

because sitting around Fleet or wherever spamming for a group somehow strengthens the community right? amirite?

I can give you examples, from experience, as to why it's a good thing.

can you give me examples on the contrary? no you can't can you? just hyperbole and false claims....

as I said, WoW's community was always garbage...the LFG tool did nothing to the "community" except make people (like me) play longer because they didn't have to sit around doing NOTHING trying to get a group.

again, it's "I don't want it so no one should have the option" mentality.

So I have some questions:

1) Why isn't the anti-x-server LFG community railing against x-server LFW?

2) If you believe x-server LFG will destroy community, do you also believe x-server LFW will?

3) Why should the PvP community get better / more tools than the PvE community?

1. The discussion was about LFG not LFW if it was I'd of voiced my opionion against it. I loved it in WoW when players had a reputation and seeing them on the opposing team ment something.
    Note on my Shadow I ended up in a Huttball against my guildies and it was crazy fun to talk smack to them while in TS.
  2. In this thread I never said it will destroy the community. I was inquiring as to how it will improve the community due to a statement by another player.
  3. See point one.

Edited by DarthKhaos

As great the tool is working in WoW i dont want to see it here.

I love to make dates witzh my friends at the evening to go into hardmodes and i totaly made alot of new friends by looking for groups with people from my realm.

I disliked the faceless nameless not speaking people refusing to join teamspeak rolling on stuff they dont need and leave quick people from the dungeon tool.

For me it was always the "find dumb people who have no friends and want to play an mmo alone" button.

Id rather see server capacitys highly increased and 3-5 servers merdged to make the population hudge per server but meeting people on my server and not crossrealm. (while crossrealm for pvp is ok btw but its also great to talk after the match with friends and foes)

How would an x-realm tool prevent you from making playdates with your buddies?

What if the button is "find people to game with because my guild and friends aren't on right now or are otherwise engaged and I want to run a flashpoint"?

What if the server technology can't handle triple to quintuple the load they're currently configured for?

Why is x-server OK for PVP but not for PVE?

you keep telling yourselves the game is better off without it while the population dwindles more and more as people leave in frustration over boredom and not being able to get groups together.
What the hell are you talking about...

Try actually reading posts and not posting knee jerk reactions, k?

you: *queue up in a random pug

you: /party hey they everyone

*everyone completes flashpoint while chatting with each other*

you: /party good run; mind if I add you to my friend's list?

<person.fromAnotherServer>: sure, see ya around

you: /friend <person.fromAnotherServer>

later that week

you: /w person.fromAnotherServer hey <person> how's it goin; wanna run a flashpoint? (based on the sytax for doing a cross server tell in EQ)

person.fromAnotherServer: sure, just gimme a sec

person.fromAnotherServer: ok, ready for invite

you: *right click on his entry in the friends list and click invite*

And when will this happen? Please recall how long it took for Blizzard to get this remotely functioning.

What the hell are you talking about...

Try actually reading posts and not posting knee jerk reactions, k?

exactly, you totally circumvent the question I posed. While those for it can give examples from experience...those against it can't.

point. made.

cross-server LFG tool needs to go in. It will only help keep people playing and the community.

besides who cares about if you can cross-server flashpoints? you need a guild to raid and that has to be server only..again..those against it make no sense other than not just not wanting it so no one should have it.

exactly, you totally circumvent the question I posed. While those for it can give examples from experience...those against it can't.

point. made.

cross-server LFG tool needs to go in. It will only help keep people playing and the community.

besides who cares about if you can cross-server flashpoints? you need a guild to raid and that has to be server only..again..those against it make no sense other than not just not wanting it so no one should have it.

You know he's on your side right?

Ok during the duration of the flashpoint you can communicate with those few people... Then what? You can't nurture pr strengthen those bonds at a later date unless you leave your current community and join theirs.

No idea how bad people came up in a communication discussion.

Your last point makes the assumption that the community will be miserable without a cross server fully automated system. That also does not answer how can communicating with players from another server temporary improve your current community. Are the bonds between the server members strengthened? People joining more guilds, making more friends etc on the server increase via this communication? I am curious.

That's all that's needed to communicate cross server, during the time we are grouped. Why do I need to nurture those relationships? Do I get better gear for that? Get more XP?

Its a game, not a community center. I bought the game to play the content, if I wanted to nurture relationships, I would be on Facebook (if I wanted to do it online, anyway, which I don't).

Community is the topic when folks talk about cross server LFG, thus the comment about bad people destroying community, not an ingame tool.

Happy people make for happy communities, inside and out of games. That's why the comment in that regard. You won't enjoy the community of angry, frustrated gamers if they can't enjoy the content of a game they pay to play.

And when will this happen? Please recall how long it took for Blizzard to get this remotely functioning.
EQ had most of that functioning a decade ago...

We're not talking rocket science here...

edit: lets add in

/guildinvite otherserver.playerName

to the mix as part of the ultimate goal as well :cool:

Edited by ferroz

Again, what the hell are you talking about?

Seriously, you don't even have a clue what side of the debate I'm on, and you going to just fly off the handle with a knee jerk reaction like that without bothering to read anything that I've posted?

That's all that's needed to communicate cross server, during the time we are grouped. Why do I need to nurture those relationships? Do I get better gear for that? Get more XP?

Its a game, not a community center. I bought the game to play the content, if I wanted to nurture relationships, I would be on Facebook (if I wanted to do it online, anyway, which I don't).

Community is the topic when folks talk about cross server LFG, thus the comment about bad people destroying community, not an ingame tool.

Happy people make for happy communities, inside and out of games. That's why the comment in that regard. You won't enjoy the community of angry, frustrated gamers if they can't enjoy the content of a game they pay to play.

You have a different view as to what is important in an MMO than I. I like forming and nurturing those bonds. You don't.

Again, what the hell are you talking about?

Seriously, you don't even have a clue what side of the debate I'm on, and you going to just fly off the handle with a knee jerk reaction like that without bothering to read anything that I've posted?

Strong community bonds right there. :)

Suromir meet ferroz.

ferroz here, loves the cross server LFG tool idea. He thinks its a great idea and beats down any opposing views with powerful arguments, sane discourse, and logic. I believe you have a lot of views in common and much to catch up on.

:D

You have a different view as to what is important in an MMO than I. I like forming and nurturing those bonds. You don't.

Maybe so. But aren't your best bonds found in a guild of like minded people? And in that guild, you have the choice of running content with folks you are familiar with and enjoy, but if they aren't available and you have the itch to run a fp, wouldn't it be grand to just click a button, go about your business, and then get grouped to run said fp quickly? Won't happen with the current tool (joke), or with a same server tool, but it will cross server, more often than not.

That's where I am at on this.

I too like forming and nurturing those bonds; I eagerly look forward to the day that I can do so utilizing a full suite of cross server tools.

Strong community bonds right there. :)
Eh, community bonds really have nothing to do with someone who can't be bothered to find out whether a person is, in fact, against the thing that he's defending before he lambasts that personfor being against the thing he's defending. Edited by ferroz

The Group Finder feature we've discussed for the near future is definitely single-server only.

Thank you. Thank you. Please don't let the random ranting of people on the forums change your opinion. What people think they want isn't always what is best for them.

There are certainly problems with low server populations, and these need to be addressed, most likely with transfers and mergers. But thank you from the bottom of my heart for not allowing this cross-server nonsense to sway you.

Oh, let me add, that if I am frustrated with the game because of the inability to group with folks to enjoy the content, then I am probably not going to be logging on anyway, so my ability to grow and nurture relationships online isn't likely to happen as a result (even if that was a major factor for me). Right?

tbh, this game was super while leveling my first character. But end game is so disconnected from that experience I lost interest in that first toon quickly after max. My second toon (opposite faction for various reasons) I finally got bored with around lvl 35+ and tried to just run some fp's... well, you can imagine that frustration... so, any relationships I may have had, ain't growing cause I don't log on much any more because I can't do the things I would like to ingame (run fp's while leveling). shocker... :eek:

Thus, my activist type pursuit for this change in particular. Its a glaring hole for those that want to enjoy leveling in fp's on occasion.

Thank you. Thank you. Please don't let the random ranting of people on the forums change your opinion. What people think they want isn't always what is best for them.

There are certainly problems with low server populations, and these need to be addressed, most likely with transfers and mergers. But thank you from the bottom of my heart for not allowing this cross-server nonsense to sway you.

Here's a clue. They're implementing an LFG tool because the numbers they're seeing from the game show that fewer players than they want to get into flashpoints, are getting into flashpoints.

If the single-server LFG tool doesn't bolster that enough, what do you think happens next?

What do you think happens when people start quitting with exit interview text containing, "waiting for flashpoints is stupid"?