What is the point of a companion gift cooldown?

MadProfStein

probably to discourage people from just making any choices they want and then nullify it all by giving companions gifts as an easy way to go around it.

imo they should take the gifts out of the game and make it all based on your choices.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine how overpowered it would be without the cooldown?

My sith warrior would run around spamming gifts to Vette like a madman on Ilum, the cries for nerfs would be deafening.

Who in the bloody hell would ask for a nerf to spamming gifts to a companion? Am I missing something here?!!?

Also, why don't companion gifts stack? My inv is often overflowing with this junk

No joke. How many personalized fragrances to I have to get....and all take up seperate slots in my inventory, while I'm waiting for the gifts to level up my other 4? Good thing Cedrax takes courting items, too, since Lt. Iresso is maxed.

The whole idea of making someone like you by giving them the -same gift- over and over again is kind of silly. Seriously, why don't they just have gift cards or something, and just put 10k credits on it - I'm sure most of my companions would rather just have the cash.

Yeah, because nothing says "romance" quite like cold, hard cash. :D

So you give your kids 5 gifts at once thereby not making them stop to actually acknowledge what the gift is and thank the person they got it from before tossing it aside tearing into the next one like all kids would? Christmas morning would last 5 mins at your house.

And if it was someones birthday and you shoved all 10 gifts to them and then run off to join a warzone how much affection would you actually get do ya think?

At my house, Christmas is about the kids - even though they are teenagers. They open their presents first....and are expected to say thank you for each gift, blah blah blah. I think this year was the first time one of us (my husband and I) opened one before the kids were finished.

It serves no real purpose other then to annoy the hell out of me when I buy 15 companion gifts and have to spend eight minutes giving them to my companion. That 30 seconds is so trivial it serves absolutely no other purpose..So why does it exist in the first place?

It exist so Bioware gets you to play the game longer and can charge you for it.

This is the problem with the SWTOR community. You all fight about the little details of a system, when the whole thing needs to be revisited and revised. Same thing with the exhaustion zone thread--it's not the mechanics of the exhaustion zone that people need to be fighting to change, it's the linearity, restrictiveness and demanding a more "creative" way to stop you from going to the planet's edge.

So with this, why not demand that companion affection actually MEAN something? Should it not improve your companion's combat skill? How about their chance to crit on recipes? How about unlock special abilities? How about open up quests that allow you to obtain mounts or cosmetic gear? How about unlock more customization options? I mean the list of missing features with companions could go on-and-on.

Who gives a damn about the gifts -- an absolutely pathetic solution to affection gain -- when it won't net you any major returns in the end?

Edited by Traumahawk

It really exists just to piss you off.

Yes it does. And that's why it should stay. Gifts are not meant as the primary way of increasing companions' affection. They are intended only to fix affection damage after some of your (intentional or unintentional) decisions. I would have made this colldown separate for each companion and increased it to 1 day :D

Edited by EternalChild

That would be idiotically short-sighted of them. What was the point of this CD? Tell it I hate it.

Is it? Isn't the reason we level from 1 to 50 instead of just getting everything immediately so we keep playing? Bioware wants our money - but we want our challenges, otherwise, there is no game.

I do not know off-hand how the rewards scale, but I presume one reason is that you, once you made a trillion* Credits, that you buy tons of Tier 1 gifts and max everyone's affection within 10 minutes. Or at least bring it to a ridicilious high level. You are expected tow ork for it with dialog options and then gifts.

*) arbtirary number standing for a high amount of Credits

It comes down to whether you view it as merely a game mechanic or as some semblance of social gift giving. It makes little sense if only viewed as a game mechanic but, if you consider what it represents, it is needed until the companions can serve us with restraining orders. Edited by Matte_Black

The reason: if you could spam gifts without cooldown, you would just spam lvl 1 gifts until it would give no more affection.

than you would spam lvl 2 gifts etc.

there would be no point to the higher tier gifts.

the only reason to use high tier gifts is because it saves you time by giving a big amount of affection.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude comments

The reason: if you could spam gifts without cooldown, you would just spam lvl 1 gifts until it would give no more affection.

than you would spam lvl 2 gifts etc.

there would be no point to the higher tier gifts.

the only reason to use high tier gifts is because it saves you time by giving a big amount of affection.

You can still do that with the cooldown, just not spam it, so what you are saying really dont make sense.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude - quote

You can still do that with the cooldown, just not spam it, so what you are saying really dont make sense.

YOU JUST CONTRADICTED YOURSELF.

you just said:

you can still spam the gifts.

except that you can't spam them.

and that is exactly the point.

you're not supposed to spam them, it's an incentive to use higher tier gifts.

yes YOU CAN use lower tier, but it will take your 30 minutes.

now you understand the point of the cooldown.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude comments

Lol I don't think that's gonna happen.. The cooldown doesn't add any form of immersion.. In fact it takes away from it.. If I wanted to give someone 10 gifts at one time I could..

I wouldn't say "hey happy birthday Bob.. here's one present"... Then awkwardly stare at Bob for 30 seconds until I could give him another.. Another 30 seconds of awkward silence until I give him another present, and so on, and so on...

Would it harm Bob in any way if I overloaded him with presents? Why does he need a present blocking force field to protect him? Are they afraid he is going to get to excited if I give him too much at one time and have a heart attack?

Afraid he's gonna fall under the weight of all your gifts, fall over, get hurt and sue Bioware, that's why there's a cooldown.