The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

8/8/25 DPS Build

Healfezza

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsMZfhMbdGhM.1

So I just specced into this build and am looking forward to trying it out. I forgo the top of the Pyro Tree to basically grab the 9% aim and 6% flame burst damage. I figure since flame burst is a good filler the extra damage is nice and that the 9% aim is a good addition to our build for overall damage and the increase in critical hit.

Any thoughts? My biggest question is where to put the 2 points, in Infrared Censors, Degauss or Gyroscoptic Alignment Jets.

After a good session of PvP and PvE I can say that this spec does actually rock. Managed to post some good results. In a Civil War where my team was getting dismantled I managed to post 240k damage, 3kills. Closest Republic was 180k and closest ally was 80k... Talk about horrible. Then in Huttball I posted 407k where closest was 220k. All in all the build put out alot of sustained DPS by upping the damage on all attacks across the board instead of using Thermal Detonator. For reference I have only 8% expertise atm with 2 Champ pieces so things can only get better if I am mopping the floor now.

I use a similiar spec for pve ops,

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsMM0MZbIbbdGhM.1

4/12/25 - High energy pyro

Pros:

- Much better heat management compared to pyro.

- Better flame burst/incendiary dmg from high energy cyclinder

- Way more railshots than full pyro due to more flame burst spam with better heat management.

Cons:

- Changing target requires using incendiary missile again.

- Really kitable in PvP though you can make a pvp variation.

- Does still rely on luck to get railshot back but you can spam alot.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010zZMsMMRrckZbIbbdh.1

You gain mobility but lose dmg

I use a similiar spec for pve ops,

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsMM0MZbIbbdGhM.1

4/12/25 - High energy pyro

Pros:

- Much better heat management compared to pyro.

- Better flame burst/incendiary dmg from high energy cyclinder

- Way more railshots than full pyro due to more flame burst spam with better heat management.

Cons:

- Changing target requires using incendiary missile again.

- Really kitable in PvP though you can make a pvp variation.

- Does still rely on luck to get railshot back but you can spam alot.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010zZMsMMRrckZbIbbdh.1

You gain mobility but lose dmg

Between superheated gas and Firebug I cannot see High Energy Cylinder outdamaging Combustable Gas Cylinder. Heat management is pretty easy in my build which focuses on Flame Burst to open up Rail Shot (Incidiary Missle is optional depending on the situation) and exploit the heat savings on free Rail Shots. Not to mention each Flame Burst refreshs CGS and gives you the first tick instantly acting as if you had +200-800 damage depending on crit.

I tried this build last night in our Nightmare EV, which was a recommendation from sithwarrior.com

9/6/27: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfhrbzGhMM.1

Math wise, from what they were stating is 2 in Burnout exceeds the damage from 2 in Hot Iron. Especially when you have frenzy /enrage mechanics in place. For example, last phase SOA is entirely under 30% so you would have maximum benefit (for the two points you have in it)

I was pleasantly pleased with the build. (I typically just use IM when TD is off cooldown otherwise it's FB / RS / RP Spamming). I used to always run TD builds so like Mind Traps was a bit to get used to doing less damage but otherwise I am probably sticking with this for PvE at least. (I can't give up TD in PvP..)

Edited by exphryl

I tried this build last night in our Nightmare EV, which was a recommendation from sithwarrior.com

9/6/27: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfhrbzGhMM.1

Math wise, from what they were stating is 2 in Burnout exceeds the damage from 2 in Hot Iron. Especially when you have frenzy /enrage mechanics in place. For example, last phase SOA is entirely under 30% so you would have maximum benefit (for the two points you have in it)

I was pleasantly pleased with the build. (I typically just use IM when TD is off cooldown otherwise it's FB / RS / RP Spamming). I used to always run TD builds so like Mind Traps was a bit to get used to doing less damage but otherwise I am probably sticking with this for PvE at least. (I can't give up TD in PvP..)

I could see how Burnout could out DPS Hot Iron in ops considering the length of the fights allowing for a long period of time below 30%, definatly a similar build. For PvP I would say Hot Iron is likely better.

I am wondering why you cling to Thermal Detonator so much, really I can't see how DPS numbers would go up that much from having it considering its heat cost and it doesn't proc Railshot. It might allow better short duration burst but in the long run I see using TD as losing out to FB/RP/RS spam.

I am wondering why you cling to Thermal Detonator so much, really I can't see how DPS numbers would go up that much from having it considering its heat cost and it doesn't proc Railshot. It might allow better short duration burst but in the long run I see using TD as losing out to FB/RP/RS spam.

My TD's can crit 5k+, even post surge nerf (Long as I use Power trinket/power Adrenal).

So in PvP I like to focus the healers and other key targets in matches to win. It's a preference. (In the previous post I mean Thermal Override on Cooldown, not TD when using IM since that build obviously didnt' have TD in PvE).

Plus, in a 2v1 Situation, being able to quickly take out one of the targets and focus on the other helps keep me alive.

I usually play selectively, get in, kill a target, get out, rinse/repeat. Operative type playstyle without the stealth and all.

In PvE I found I only ever used TD on SOA Mind Traps, or G4's Stun Droids so i don't miss it in that setting.

Edited by exphryl

I use 8/8/25 as a PvE dps. In the absence of any damage parser, and until someone can somehow prove me wrong logically, I find this spec to be the max. sustained dps in PvE for a powertech.

While TD is nice, it certainly is not worth the extra points to reach in terms of sustained damage. I see a 31 pyro be more suited for PvP.

Burnout, again much more useful in PvP. In a raid I would much rather do more dps from the 100%-30% vs. the last 30%.

So basically you are trading TD and Burnout for 9% aim, a harder hitting RS and FB (which are your bread and butter). I'd say that is an excellent trade for PvE.

I use 8/8/25 as a PvE dps. In the absence of any damage parser, and until someone can somehow prove me wrong logically, I find this spec to be the max. sustained dps in PvE for a powertech.

While TD is nice, it certainly is not worth the extra points to reach in terms of sustained damage. I see a 31 pyro be more suited for PvP.

Burnout, again much more useful in PvP. In a raid I would much rather do more dps from the 100%-30% vs. the last 30%.

So basically you are trading TD and Burnout for 9% aim, a harder hitting RS and FB (which are your bread and butter). I'd say that is an excellent trade for PvE.

In 16 mans bosses should have 0 armor, so you can have TD and 9% aim

In 16 mans bosses should have 0 armor, so you can have TD and 9% aim

First of all I will stop playing the game before I am forced to do a 16man raid that an 8man can do. Less headaches, less drama, much easier to schedule, in general no pugs, less ear piercing yells over vent, less under geared people that others need to compensate for, easier trash to deal with, less buggy bosses to deal with. I mean why in the world would any guild run 16man instead of 2x 8man is beyond me. Hec I even think 8man HM is easier than 16man normal.

Second, assuming you manage to get a boss to 0 armor? I would still take 9% aim (which translate to consistent higher dps on EVERY ability including railshot) + better flame burst over TD.

Edited by Agooz

First of all I will stop playing the game before I am forced to do a 16man raid that an 8man can do. Less headaches, less drama, much easier to schedule, in general no pugs, less ear piercing yells over vent, less under geared people that others need to compensate for, easier trash to deal with, less buggy bosses to deal with. I mean why in the world would any guild run 16man instead of 2x 8man is beyond me. Hec I even think 8man HM is easier than 16man normal.

Second, assuming you manage to get a boss to 0 armor? I would still take 9% aim (which translate to consistent higher dps on EVERY ability including railshot) + better flame burst over TD.

Well some people play the game for more of a challenge, some people play for gear. I find the challenge more fun.

next point, if the bosses armor is zero, railshot will still hit for the same weather or not you have 60% more armor pen, Thermal det will hit for more than rail shot. All you would do in the rotation would be replacing one flame burst for one thermal detonator. If you are going with the flame burst procs railshot and thats a heat reduction, that is offset by automated defenses. The guaranteed damage of a 0 armor Thermal det > flame burst + 30% chance to proc. Yes if you proc rail shot, flame burst is better but if don't, TD is way better.

I've seen 7k+ thermal det crits in raids.

heres the build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMZfhrbzGhrs.1

You still have 9% aim, so you would have 9% aim on thermal det also...

Edited by Eroex

im using 4/6/30 atm. And was wondering wouldnt it be worth to spend the extra point to get the last skill in Pyro as the dmg of about 1.2k skill would outdo just an extra 2% here and there? Been playing Sheid tech to lv 48 so just tried pyro and was actually real nice dmg.

Well some people play the game for more of a challenge, some people play for gear. I find the challenge more fun.

next point, if the bosses armor is zero, railshot will still hit for the same weather or not you have 60% more armor pen, Thermal det will hit for more than rail shot. All you would do in the rotation would be replacing one flame burst for one thermal detonator. If you are going with the flame burst procs railshot and thats a heat reduction, that is offset by automated defenses. The guaranteed damage of a 0 armor Thermal det > flame burst + 30% chance to proc. Yes if you proc rail shot, flame burst is better but if don't, TD is way better.

I've seen 7k+ thermal det crits in raids.

heres the build

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMZfhrbzGhrs.1

You still have 9% aim, so you would have 9% aim on thermal det also...

First of all, I appreciate your maturity in making your point and I apologize if I sounded any less. However I disagree with your point about a "challenge". You can run Hard Mode and Nightmare Ops for challenge. 16 man are not intended to be challenging, otherwise the rewards would have reflected it. I am not trying to persuade you or others not to run 16man. If you enjoy it, then by all means.

Second, from all the posts that I have read, what you are claiming about 0 armor has not been proven in any way. In fact there are many testers saying that you cant. Those who started the claim are only basing it by seeing the different debuff icons showing on the boss.

Regardless let us assume that it has been proven without a doubt, can you honestly say that the debuffs will automatically be applied from the first sec and continue the entire fight? many bosses have phases, other times you need to run from them, or need to focus dps on other things beside the boss. Debuffs needs to be reapplied (which translates into dps lost by wasting cooldowns on these debuff abilites).

Finally why would you run with a spec that is geared for max DPS only under one condition, and that is if/when a boss has 0 armor? As far as I can tell, people are spending the majority of their PvE time doing Dailies and HM FPs.

Edited by Agooz

First of all, I appreciate your maturity in making your point and I apologize if I sounded any less. However I disagree with your point about a "challenge". You can run Hard Mode and Nightmare Ops for challenge. 16 man are not intended to be challenging, otherwise the rewards would have reflected it. I am not trying to persuade you or others not to run 16man. If you enjoy it, then by all means.

Second, from all the posts that I have read, what you are claiming about 0 armor has not been proven in any way. In fact there are many testers saying that you cant. Those who started the claim are only basing it by seeing the different debuff icons showing on the boss.

Regardless let us assume that it has been proven without a doubt, can you honestly say that the debuffs will automatically be applied from the first sec and continue the entire fight? many bosses have phases, other times you need to run from them, or need to focus dps on other things beside the boss. Debuffs needs to be reapplied (which translates into dps lost by wasting cooldowns on these debuff abilites).

Finally why would you run with a spec that is geared for max DPS only under one condition, and that is if/when a boss has 0 armor? As far as I can tell, people are spending the majority of their PvE time doing Dailies and HM FPs.

We don't run normal mode so I never base anything off of that. Normal mode is a complete waste of time after the first week of running it you can be fully geared in columi in 1 week though FPs and the one operation. After that its kinda pointless to go back to try and get 1 or 2 pieces of gear that will be upgraded in hardmode or nightmare.

We have tested it, our mercs, snipers, and sorcs have noticed a consistent damage increase the closer we get the boss to zero armor. Their gear didn't change only the number of debuffs on the boss. There is a very noticeable difference between 1 and 5 debuffs on the target.

Mercs apply the debuff with their main attack, juggernauts apply their debuff with an ability that adds rage and is in their rotation for the most part, snipers apply their debuff in one 1 very low cost shot that lasts 45 seconds. The debuff is nearly always on the target. Even if one of them falls off you still have the 30% armor pen from pyro spec.

Debuffs needs to be reapplied (which translates into dps lost by wasting cooldowns on these debuff abilites).

I'm going to be frank.

This part right here almost made me not reply based on how ignorant it sounded.

Edited by Eroex

We don't run normal mode so I never base anything off of that. Normal mode is a complete waste of time after the first week of running it you can be fully geared in columi in 1 week though FPs and the one operation. After that its kinda pointless to go back to try and get 1 or 2 pieces of gear that will be upgraded in hardmode or nightmare.

ok this part forced me to reply. show me 10 people turning 50fresh, and I am willing to bet that maybe 1 or when all the stars align, 2 at best will have 4-5 columi pieces in a week. Either that or all the people I run with or have on my list are extremely unlucky. Can it happen? of course. But does it always? no way. Hec I know people whose companions have more columi than themselves.

We have tested it, our mercs, snipers, and sorcs have noticed a consistent damage increase the closer we get the boss to zero armor. Their gear didn't change only the number of debuffs on the boss. There is a very noticeable difference between 1 and 5 debuffs on the target.

How is that conclusive that the boss is at 0 armor? Did I say the debuffs dont apply? where is your evidence that they are additives and ultimately leading to Zero armor? It is pure speculations on how they stack.

You only run 16man HM? ok then, you certainly are more advanced than I am. If and when I "only" run 16man HMs, I might consider your suggestion (and of course the 0 armor thing becomes a non-issue).

Edited by Agooz

This is my spec OP, which I dubbed "Deep burn" and yeah it's pretty solid. To those saying why not take TD, the thing is TD requires 2 wasted points in not very good talents to get to it which makes it 3 points for TD which only deals maybe 2k more than FB and doesn't proc railshot and causes heat problems, much better to get 9% aim or 3% crit.

ok this part forced me to reply. show me 10 people turning 50fresh, and I am willing to bet that maybe 1 or when all the stars align, 2 at best will have 4-5 columi pieces in a week. Either that or all the people I run with or have on my list are extremely unlucky. Can it happen? of course. But does it always? no way. Hec I know people whose companions have more columi than themselves.

Hard mode flashpoints drop the same gear as normal operations, in 1 week running them you can have a full set of gear. I did it on my main and alt. In 1 week i had 4/5 columi with most of the off set pieces. Its more than enough to start doing hardmodes. If you want to go back for 1 piece of gear, go for it I just find it a waste because in the coming weeks you'll fill those missing pieces with rakata. But if you have time left over in the raid week after clearing hardmodes, go for it.

How is that conclusive that the boss is at 0 armor? Did I say the debuffs dont apply? where is your evidence that they are additives and ultimately leading to Zero armor? It is pure speculations on how they stack.

You only run 16man HM? ok then, you certainly are more advanced than I am. If and when I "only" run 16man HMs, I might consider your suggestion (and of course the 0 armor thing becomes a non-issue).

We only run 16 man nightmare modes. Others, I'll assume you'll think these more credible, have tested the debuffs stacking also.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Marksman-Sniper-Compendium?pid=10971#pid10971

Edited by Eroex

I been 4-6-31 most of the time, with my aim in pvp gear going up to 1600+ now I start to experiement with 8-6-27 and must say im not negativly supriced. It stil have ok burst and thesubstained dmg is heavy. Its a bit weaker in my opinion in down guarded healers but al others melt down and you can still get those healers down. Regulary see 5k+ crits on railshoots.

Regarding Pve rading dmg most theorycrafting and sims runned show as I understadn that 27/28 pyro is the top dmg spec.

I try avoid owercap my secondary satst for pvp and pve and feel I give a better punch now.

Soft caps secondary stats ( source: http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/ )

Crit Rating: ~400

Expertise: ~550

Power: N/A, scales linearly

Surge Rating: ~200