My biggest Advice for New Jedi Knights: DO NOT BE A CLICKER!

AndantePhist

If you are a clicker you have 2 options.

1. Do not play a Jedi Knight (I'll explain why)

2. Start keybinding and mouse turn

Why you should not play a Jedi Knight if you are a clicker.

PVP reasons:

1. Keyboard turning is ineffective in pvp. As a Jedi Knight, you are a melee class, and if you keyboard turn, you literally maneuver like a boat. If a sorc runs right past you, and you keyboard turn, you have make a U TURN like a boat, and the sorc will be way out of melee range. With mouse turning, you can make an INSTANT 180, instead of a U turn, and stay on top of the sorc with no problem.

2. You cannot pop cooldowns as fast, and also you lose dps if you want to taunt/pop cooldowns. There are many abilities jedi knights use that are off global Cooldown. Keybinding allows you to pop defensive CDs like blade barrier while still maintaining dps. It also allows you to taunt while maintaining your damage. Every fraction of a second counts in pvp, popping your blade barrier right before a tracer missile hits you (especially if you are a guardian), can be the difference between victory and defeat.

3. Your damage will suffer. The combination of having to manuveur your character like a boat with keyboard turning, and the delay of mouse clicking means you will not be able to stay on target as easily, and when you are on target, you probably will not utilize the GCD as efficiently. A key to maintaining damage and usefulness, is to be able to fire off an ability EVERY 1.5 seconds while you are in an engagement with no delay.

PVE reasons:

1. Your aggro generation/dps will suffer. If you plan to tank as a guardian, one of the most efficient damage abilities when talented is riposte. However it is off global cooldown, meaning you can fire it off while using other abilities. As a clicker, you will not be able to fire off riposte the moment it's up, and also will not be able to optimally fire riposte off along with your other abilities.

2. Your survivability will suffer. A big part of tanking is firing off your defensive cooldowns precisely when you need them. Having to deal with the delay that comes with clicking, it can mean the difference between a wipe and a clear due to delay, since a boss can kill you in a fraction of a second if you are too slow.

In General

I'm not here to demonize clickers or saying "OMG uninstall if you are a clicker". All I am saying is that Jedi Knights are going to be SUPER underwelming if you click, and are great if you properly keybind efficiently. Also being a clicker in a MMO is equivalent of using a gamepad to play FPSes on the PC. You will get dominated in this game as a clicker when playing a jedi knight, just as you would get dominated if you played Counter Strike or any FPS with a gamepad instead of Mouse+keyboard.

However I do have a problem with Jedi Knights that go to the boards regularly and complain that they can't do anything in PVP and PVE all the time. Imagine someone going into a FPS forum complaining that every gun sucks except for the shotgun and rocket launcher because they use a game pad instead of mouse+keyboard to aim.

For those that believe that clicking is as efficient as keybinding - NO, just no. If you truly believe this, next time you have to write a 20 page paper/report, instead of using a keyboard to type out everything, use one of those keyboard emulators where you have a visual keyboard onscreen and you can "click" every letter to write your paper/report... yeah totally as efficient.

PS. I'm not trying to be elitist... I'm exactly opposite of that. The elitists are those who click and succeed because they are exceptionally skilled thinking "hey if I can click and succeed, anyone can, there is no need to keybind!". All this does is give false impressions to the average player making them think "hey this player succeeded with Jedi Knight by clicking... so I don't need to change either", they end up misled and start to think their class is underpowered or useless once they start failing. I really enjoy the Jedi Knight class especially guardian, I just want people to realize that the reason they are failing might not a class issue but a playstyle issue (for those that say you own everything and everyone by clicking, yeah yeah good for you, you're the top 1% at clicking, we know you're awesome, want a cookie? )

Edited by AndantePhist

Games with the complexity in combat en par with say, AoC, sure.

This is *********** ToR, you can click and top any chart, even WoW was less click-friendly.

All I see is a wall of "DO IT LIKE THIS OR YOU SUCK". I'm tired of those people.

I play guardian, I often top my teams damage charts in PvP (or come very close to doing so), in PvE I rarely allow a teammate to suffer damage if I can help it, I do not miss cooldowns, I fire off skills every 1.5 seconds without fail, I can turn with my mouse and my keyboard and track targets just fine.

I click, deal with it.

Yes, you can be an amazing clicker... but everything you described is on par to that of an average keybinder.

If you keybinded, I would bet you would be amazing.

Also... make note, on PVE servers most people are clickers from what I've seen, and the competition isn't all that great.

It's not uncommon for dps to do 400-700k damage and healers to heal 400-900k healing, tanks getting 300k damage/100k protection at lvl 50 on PVP servers.

Now post me a screenshot where you are top with comparable numbers to what I listed.

Edited by AndantePhist

Yes, you can be an amazing clicker... but everything you described is on par to that of an average keybinder.

Some of the greatest PvPers spread over several games and servers were clickers, and have stated to the lesser mortals from the heavens: "Oh and PS: ignore those tards who say you need to key. You don't."

You're stating opinion as if it is dogma/fact and you have zero to back it up. It would be cute if it wasn't such a common forum-pest.

Some of the greatest PvPers spread over several games and servers were clickers, and have stated to the lesser mortals from the heavens: "Oh and PS: ignore those tards who say you need to key. You don't."

You're stating opinion as if it is dogma/fact and you have zero to back it up. It would be cute if it wasn't such a common forum-pest.

I know countless of friends, clan mates, guild mates that used to be clickers spread across many MMOs.

here is their thoughts when regarding clicking before they started keybinding.

Before

"Clicking is fine, I do fine in pvp."

"I've had no problems, why should I switch?"

After

"Wow... I can't believe I used to click"

I haven't met one person who switched from clicking to keybinding and wanted to go back to clicking once they got used to keybinding.

Sure at first keybinding might actually be not as effective, but once they got proficient with keybinding as they did with clicking, they became better... at every aspect in the game.

Why settle for mediocrity when you have to option to excel.

Your tone is still one of do it this way or don't play JK.

Really, there are several ways in which to play. If it works for you then great. Besides

[somePplLikeYourWay]=/=[NotLikingYourWay=FailJK]

I and my friends mostly to PvE-content, I guess that make PvP content less important for all players. No no, I know that isn't the case, know some people who love PvP and I want all of them to have fun playing. But it was more as a way to show the argument.

*snip*

If you are a clicker you have 2 options.

1. Do not play a Jedi Knight (I'll explain why)

2. Start keybinding and mouse turn

Why you should not play a Jedi Knight if you are a clicker..

*snip*

How about simply throwing out a post with," hey guys, this worked for me. Give it a try, perhaps you like it". It's just such a strange notion to me, thinking that your way is the one and only way to play well. I think you will get more takers with a more encouraging tone, than the current one.

edit: find it even stranger to tell people that they shouldn't play a class unless they do it your way?

Edited by SilentKitty

How the hell do people get by with just clicking? I can understand setting a few things to click but I've always used keybinds.

And keyboard turning is the eternal sign of a baddie. I love running circles around them in PVP. I faced a Tracer Missile spamming Merc who would keyboard turn in PVP today and it was hilarious how bad I dominated him. I don't think I lost 1% HP. :)

Will never understand why A,D are set to turn by default. Its like the Devs want people to be clickers and turners. Its not being elitest its just common sense, i mean your not gona try and hold you fork with your foot at dinner are you? Somethings are just not efficient simple as that, and those things are clickers and turners.

Instead of telling us what we're doing wrong... Show us some Keybinds to use... to me.. you sound like a Hatemailer... and not very helpful.

You cant really "show" keybinds, Its a feel for where the skill is and your finger placement. Unless you have a naga most dont go past the 5 key. Use Alt,Shift, Ctl, R,E,F, and Q as modifier keys.

If you have a naga you can do all that with the added use of 1 to = at your thumb, Its all about muscle memory and feeling the flow of the binds. IE dont have your main attack the farthest from your reach, save that for a long CD or medpack ect, something you will use in a certain encounter.

Movement: sdfc (But don't use them much, use the mouse to turn/move forward)

Strafe: xv I think sf becomes strafe while mouse moving anyway, so never use these.

HotKey bar 1: 123456 and shift+123456

Hotkey bar 2: qwerty and shift+qwerty

h, shift+h, ctrl+h, alt+h : Healing/Stim stuff

a and g (use alt/shift/ctrl version also): On effect skills, Interupts and CC breaker.

space + ctrl/shift is my out of combat heal and vehicle and alt+space (useless keybind since it's hard to press alt+space) as my teleport.

Targeting: Tab + Mouse Buttons for the other modes

I think, I have an alt+w, alt+d things too, considering that alt+some letters is easier to press than shift + 123456 or qwerty I should prolly use it more.

BTW: SWTOR is the first time I've felt like I was short on hotkeys with this setup but I can't for the life of me think of anyway to move my hand to more keys, you need to be near shift,ctrl,alt, maybe someone with insane piano fingers could move one step over to resting the hand on dfgv, but my fingers sure isn't long enough for it.

I think this can be refined even more, since I don't seem to ever press x,v,z, so that would be three more keys at least.

Edited by Miravlix

Instead of telling us what we're doing wrong... Show us some Keybinds to use... to me.. you sound like a Hatemailer... and not very helpful.

Beauty of keybidnds, you can use whatever suits your playstyle.

For me I have Q, E,R, T, S, F, G, Z, X, C, V, B, (Shift+F, R, V, C, 1,2,3,4)

You can even have Alt+w/e key, or ctrl+ w/e key.

There is no guide on how to keybind, you have to experiment and see what works for you.

Will never understand why A,D are set to turn by default. Its like the Devs want people to be clickers and turners. Its not being elitest its just common sense, i mean your not gona try and hold you fork with your foot at dinner are you? Somethings are just not efficient simple as that, and those things are clickers and turners.

You can't have WASD if you leave out A and D. :p

It would really help me a lot if you would replace the word 'click' with 'Smurf'.

Seriously, advice is welcome, but telling new players not to jargon their jargons because of jargon is not really very helpful. Smurf their smurfing smurfs for smurfness sake!

Seriously though... IS there another way to turn around? The 'you are not facing your opponent' thing gets annoying, and your guy sometimes turns on his own, but then the camera doesn't line up with him automatically, and when it gets crowded, half the time I'm not sure which way my dude is actually facing.

You can't really copy keybinds. Figure out something that's comfortable for you and go with that. It'll take a while to get used to but once you get used to it, it's awesome.

The big thing is learning to mouse turn and not keyboard turning. I'd reccomend switching your A and D keys to strafe left and strafe right ASAP. It's amazing how much faster and more efficient you move when you're turning instantly with the mouse.

haha like who?

keybinding is blatantly superior.

I play guardian, I often top my teams damage charts in PvP (or come very close to doing so), in PvE I rarely allow a teammate to suffer damage if I can help it, I do not miss cooldowns, I fire off skills every 1.5 seconds without fail, I can turn with my mouse and my keyboard and track targets just fine.

I click, deal with it.

And you'll never be as good as someone that uses keybinds. It's nothing against you, it's just physics and common sense. You might be an "OK" or "decent/good" player and be a clicker, if you are stretching your clicking to it's absolute limits, but you will never be an extraordinary or amazing player because you are limited by your self imposed handicap.

A one armed man can still kick butt and win a fight, but in the end, when he faces an opponent of similar skill with 2 arms, he is going to lose. To me, clicking is like playing with only 1 hand/arm. Handicap yourself if you want, it's your $15 a month.

Baddy.

I used to be a clicker, until around lvl 15 when a friend helped with my key bindings (group similar abilities together, all AoE same area, all DoT same modifier, defensive all same area etc)

Sniper I have my melee abilities 1-3, all DoT alt+d,e,f, all AoE f,g,t

This helped me get better when initially I was always looking at my skill bars to check which key was for my stun etc.

I would HIGHLY recommend players try it. At least for a few levels just to see the other side of the story.

I'll never click again (except opening my character page :) C is key bound to interrupt)