What to do with my commendations?

Spezzzy

Newbie here, I've never used any of my commendations on anything before, and I'm afraid to waste them as they take awhile to collect. I'm level 16 at the moment and feel like my current gear suffices for now, but I will let you tell me if it's up to date with my level and what to spend my commendations on. I'm not sure if I should be saving these for something or spending them as I play, if I should be spending them what should I buy with each of my different ones?

At the moment I have:

17 - Dromund Kaas Commendations

5 - Hutta Commendations

8 - Fleet Commendations

I went ahead and took pictures of my gear on myself and my companion, I also color coordinated them so you don't get confused or skip over anything.

Player:

http://i.imgur.com/Z3MRl.jpg

Companion:

http://i.imgur.com/67AZR.png

Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks for the help.

With the DK coms, buy yourself an orange blaster. They are level 16 and you can keep it updated by changing the mods in it (same with your chest). Also, you might want to look into the odd armor items on the equipment comms vendor.

The Hutta coms will just rot, as there's nothing to buy with only 5, nor anything worth the time to farm more comms

I don't know what all you can buy with the fleet coms, but the vendor for them is on the Fleet, pretty close to the speeder vendor. Just do more space missions to get more of those.

An easy way to get coms is to do the daily heroics on the planet. After you get your stuff taken care of, then switch over to your companion. Once again, she could use a better blaster, and the other armor items that are sold by the DK comms vendor.

Pretty much, I use coms to buy armoring, hilts/barrels, mods and enhancements. Other than that, I will just buy stuff to either sell on the GTN, or the odd item I might need to flush out a full set of orange gear.

Edited by Fhaze

For planet commendations,

just buy some orange gear and use the rest to upgrade the mods on any other orange gear you might have.

Then on each new planet you go to, buy some modifications to upgrade your orange gear to match your level.

Except Hutta (or any starting planet commendations) are useless.

For planet commendations,

just buy some orange gear and use the rest to upgrade the mods on any other orange gear you might have.

Then on each new planet you go to, buy some modifications to upgrade your orange gear to match your level.

Except Hutta (or any starting planet commendations) are useless.

Can you explain what orange gear is? I hear it a lot and was wondering what it meant.

With the DK coms, buy yourself an orange blaster. They are level 16 and you can keep it updated by changing the mods in it (same with your chest). Also, you might want to look into the odd armor items on the equipment comms vendor.

This ^

Buy the blaster from the DK commendation vendor and thank us later. Your damage will be much better.

Orange gear is gear where the name of the item is written in orange text and in your inventory they have orange frame around the slot.

(and in all, when people speak of these colors of the items it means what color is the text that the name of the item is written on and what color frame it has around it when you look inside your inventory)

They practically no stats (apart from very small base rating) when they are empty and the stats are given by the modifications you put inside them. They do have however armor type such as ligh, medium or heavy armor.

Use Ctrl + right click to add and remove mods

Orange armor has 3 slots: armoring, mod and enhancement

Orange weapon has 4 slots: barrel/hilt, color crystal, mod and enhancement

The armoring of and orange armor will set its armor value which is based on the armor rating of the armoring, which is multiplied depending if the orange piece is light, medium or heavy armor.

The mod and enhancement will just add more stats

The barrel or hilt (depending if it is melee or ranged weapon) will damage rating set the weapon damage rating of a weapon

Color crystal will set the color of a lightsaber blade or the bolts your blaster shoots and gives some small stat boost.

If you get an orange item at level 10, you can just keep upgrading it when you level up (between every 2-4 levels) by changing the modifications inside it and you can use it all the way to level 50.

Edited by Eternalnight

This ^

Buy the blaster from the DK commendation vendor and thank us later. Your damage will be much better.

Although, every class gets an orange weapon at some point in their starting planet, and if you had kept that you could just buy new barrel mods and so on to upgrade it to make it just as good as those.

But if you did not keep it, that is no problem since you can buy a new orange weapon too.

I was told that you could trade,at two for one,commendations at the next planet. But have yet to find any vendor who will do this. The tool tip says you can sell them,but to who?

That was removed toward the end of beta. You can no longer uptrade commendations, nor are there any plans for you to be able to do so in the future. Just use 'em on boxes if you have nothing else to do with 'em.

worth for 2 things.

Buying orange gear and weapons.

items to upgrade the mod,armor,barrel,hilt,enhancement and crystal withing the gear you buy.

Keep this up and your toon will have the highest stats possible per lvl and nothing will be an upgrade from other gear as you level.

I was going to post this message on a separate thread, but I read this thread and decided that posting my thoughts as a reply here would suffice. I only hope that someone who can pass these thoughts along to the development department, sees this message. And yes, I know everyone feels that way about everything they post-- but that's the point, if everyone does it, why shouldn't I? :p

I have a bit of a beef about the planetary commendations for the four ORIGIN worlds-- Tython and Ord Mantell for Republic; Korriban and Hutta for Empire. The Specialty goods vendors for these worlds each sell a chest piece for the two relevant classes for each world; Tython and Korriban sell a medium armor chest piece with strength, and a light armor one with willpower, while Ord Mantell and Hutta sell a heavy with aim, and a medium with cunning.

Each of these chest pieces cost eight commendations from the appropriate world.

I've taken new toons to level 10 and the appropriate faction fleet on a number of servers almost as if testing this, and it seems to hold up nine times out of ten. By the time I finish the planet and go to the fleet, even having done the heroic missions for those worlds... by the time I leave the origin world, how many commendations from that world do I Have?

You guessed it... EXACTLY seven. ONE short of the eight needed to buy one of those blue grade chest pieces.

Am I the only one who's asking, what's wrong with this picture?

Getting to that seven seems so easy-- and then you can farm and farm and farm on the origin world and that last commendations, the eighth, absolutely REFUSES to drop.

I GET it already, the chest piece is only good for a couple more levels. I GET it, I'll replace it so fast I'll hardly miss it. I KNOW this, I UNDERSTAND this, and hell, I even agree with it.

But WHY do we always have to leave our origin worlds with EXACTLY --seven-- commendations, only one commendation shy of that token item we'll replace so quickly? What's the point of it? And since Bioware has decided to permanently scrap any means of trading commendations or even vendoring them for a small handful of credits... why not just remove the Hutta, Korriban, Ord Mantell and Tython commendations from the game altogether? Why not remove them from our currency? Let commendations start to be acquired at the capital worlds-- Dromund Kaas and Coruscant-- where we can buy items with real value.

If I could ask one favor of BioWare: get rid of origin world commendations and let them start accruing only once we reach our capital worlds and beyond. The "Specialty Items" for origin worlds and the means of getting them has no point and I doubt many people would miss them if they were removed. At Coruscant and Dromund Kaas they take on real meaning.

You guessed it... EXACTLY seven. ONE short of the eight needed to buy one of those blue grade chest pieces.

Am I the only one who's asking, what's wrong with this picture?

But WHY do we always have to leave our origin worlds with EXACTLY --seven-- commendations, only one commendation shy of that token item we'll replace so quickly?

Nope, you are the only one asking ... I've never had this problem at all. Remember that some quests give the option of commendations or something else. A lot of the time I *won't* choose the commendations because I know I only need 8, and having any more is a waste. If I was to take the commendation route then I'd have around 12-15 commendations by the time I'm done with a starting planet.

So I think maybe you aren't completing the planet as thoroughly as you think? Or you're never taking the option of commendations?

But as you say, the item you get doesn't last very long - especially if you then go and run the first flashpoint!

I did like the look of both the smuggler and JK commendation items though, shame I couldn't wear them for longer.