Bioware lead writer leaving (sort off)

Angedechu

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/00056563-le-scenariste-de-mass-effect-quitte-bioware.htm

Its in French, but what it says, mosty, is that the lead writer of Bioware for 12 years left, but for keeping his writing careeer.

Honestly, I wish him the best of luck. His novels are not perfect, but he care about what he write (which can't be said for a lot of SW EU novels. I'm not looking at you, Karen Traviss, cause I consider your novels as basically *** **** themed SW)

Also, well, if you love creating stories and if you are good at it (it's the case), without any question, books are a better medium than videogames.

Edited by Notannos
using gay in a derogatory way

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here it is in engrish: http://drewkarpyshyn.com/c/?p=369

I promised big news for this update, so I better deliver. But like the showman I am I’ll save it until the very end.

First, I’m going to hit you with the link for Mass Effect 3′s cool new demo. As many of you probably know, I wasn’t on the ME3 team – I’ve been working on SWTOR for the past three years. In fact, I left midway through ME2, turning the reins over to my co-lead Mac Walters. So for the first time I’m getting to approach the ME franchise as a fan, rather than a developer. Kind of a neat feeling.

Next, I’m going to lay out some more details for my upcoming convention schedule. I’ve already mentioned that I’ll be appearing at Celebration VI in Orlando this August; we’re still working on what panels and appearances I’ll be doing. I’m also going to be appearing at A-Kon in Dallas, June 1-3 – should have more details soon. And I’ve got a couple other appearances in the works; hopefully I can share the details next update.

You might think I’m doing more events and cons this year than usual, and you’d be right. (You’re so smart. You know, if you thought that.) So why am I doing so many cons and events this year? Well, I finally have the time in my schedule… which brings me to my BIG NEWS.

I just got back from Vegas. Now, I don’t really need an excuse to go to Vegas, but this time I had a good reason. You see, I was celebrating a major life milestone. As of last week, I have officially retired from BioWare. (I’ll give all you gamers a second to let that sink in. Just to be clear, the parting was completely amicable, and 100% my decision.)

For the past twelve years I’ve had the privilege to work at one of the best companies in the video game industry, side by side with the most talented and incredible group of people I’ve ever had the good fortune to know. I’ve enjoyed my time at BioWare immensely, but it’s time for me to move on.

I’m leaving to focus more time and energy on my novels and other non-video game related projects. But even though I’ll no longer be working on games for BioWare, I’m not going to be severing all ties with them. Many of my closest friends still work at the company, and I’m also in the process of writing the next Star Wars: The Old Republic novel, though I can’t say too much about it yet.

During my time at BioWare I worked on a number of beloved and award winning titles. I’m proud of everything we accomplished, and I know going forward that BioWare will continue to live up to its well deserved reputation for making the best story driven games in the industry. The story and dialog in any BioWare game is the result of an entire team of writers working together, and I often felt I received an excessive amount of the credit for the games we created. The Dragon Age games and the continued success of the Mass Effect series after my departure make it pretty clear that BioWare can get along just fine without me, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the games as a fan rather than from the other side of the fence. (I alluded to this earlier when I was talking about ME3. That’s a little writer’s trick called foreshadowing.)

I realize some of you may be shocked by this announcement. Maybe even disappointed. (And others simply won’t care. But it’s my website, so I’m going to ramble on.) My identity has been closely tied with BioWare ever since I crawled into the public eye, and I know it’s a risk to move away from my comfort zone. However, I feel that’s an essential step for every creative artist to take at some point. It keeps us fresh, it keeps us energized.

Even if you are someone who is going to miss my contributions to the video game world, I hope you’ll be somewhat mollified by the fact that I’m going to have more time for novels, screenplays and other projects. (Like finally finishing Children of Fire, the first novel in my original fantasy series, which I’ve been perpetually working on for almost a decade.)

I’ll always have fond memories of BioWare, and a great appreciation for everything it meant to me. But my future is wide open, and I can’t wait to see what’s in store. (Plus, now I’ll have more time for golf.)

Drew

So at some point we'll get a game that doesn't focus on a hero who goes through a journey of self realization and unites a world/galaxy of aliens/people/races to combat a faceless villain?

Perhaps. One could hope that they add some diversity to their storylines. Maybe new blood (if they hire anyone) will inject the much-needed novelty

So at some point we'll get a game that doesn't focus on a hero who goes through a journey of self realization and unites a world/galaxy of aliens/people/races to combat a faceless villain?

It's because a game about someone facing his raging death stick addiction and finding a job at a landspeeder dealership and putting his kid to star college would be a bit boring.

I mean, let's be honest : how the plot in a videogame can't involve ''kill stuff ?''

Edited by Angedechu

I also noticed a pretty common theme through Drew's Old republic books... though Revan threw me a little at the end. Still they were an enjoyable read, and without him participating in story line for future expansions of SWTOR, that worries me a bit.

Those trying to make an issue out of this announcement are being outright silly. The only thing you can read in to this announcement is that he wants to try something else for a while. People explore new opportunities all the time. He was with BioWare for 12 years.

Humans are not meant to be static creatures. This is true in just about every aspect of our lives.

All the best to him.

This won't be the last time a BW employee moves on during the life-span of this game. It's pretty routine when you have something called a career.

I do wonder how they are going to write the plot in Bioware next big project....Generals 2.

We all known how Command and Conquer games have nuanced factions.

We all remember how the GLA plot was a carefully woven tale about modern religious radicalism.

You just described The Heroes Journey, which has been used for great storytelling in everything from Star Wars (original movie) to The Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, and Lion King.

It even goes back as far as Homer's Odyssey.

Edited by DarthDemens

Honestly, I wonder if the leaving was not related to Revan rather, how to say, casual dispatching.

Unlikely.

DK would have been heavily involved with that story, if only to avoid contradictions with the novel.

Assuming he's got some sort of hidden motive (and I doubt he does), my best guess would be that it was some sort of protest over a direction EA or LucasArts wanted the story to go that he wasn't comfortable with.

Frankly, I see nothing sinister in the fact that an accomplished author would want to focus on his novels, especially since he's been talking about putting out an original series for several years. It's far more likely that he merely wishes to spend what time and creative energy he has on Children of Fire (he was hoping to have it out in 2007/2008, so its been a long delay).

You just described The Heroes Journey, which has been used for great storytelling in everything from Star Wars (original movie) to The Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, and Lion King.

It even goes back as far as Homer's Odyssey.

And if you read further instead of just paraphrasing one part you'll see why its been criticized. Also commercial success doesn't necessarily equate to good writing. Using that logic Transformers which also shares the same monomyth qualities would be considered great storytelling as well?

I'll be honest I always thought Drew's stories were to water downed, not enough grit and edge to them... His Stories seemed more aimed at 12 year olds then people in there 20's-30's who are reading and playing the games... Feels like he missed his target audience..

I'm really hoping they get some new writers who are good at making more darker themed stories, ones less corny and make there stories more edgier..

Because right now the stories feel a bit to corny and fluffy.... might be why so many are disappointed in a lot of the story arcs.... It's like to much Return of the Jedi Ewok story telling and not enough of Empire Strikes Back I'm your father who just cut off your hand..

If you know what I mean..

Edited by Monoth

How it's a sinking ship ? He did the only part of the game that no one question...

realy ? what he did to Revan story? everyone taht loved the kotors ( most people) hate him for what he did to Revan in his novel and in the game. So i would say that not everything he writes is gold. Somethings are though. first mass effect, baldurs gate, jade empire etc.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2012/00056563-le-scenariste-de-mass-effect-quitte-bioware.htm

Its in French, but what it says, mosty, is that the lead writer of Bioware for 12 years left, but for keeping his writing careeer.

Honestly, I wish him the best of luck. His novels are not perfect, but he care about what he write (which can't be said for a lot of SW EU novels. I'm not looking at you, Karen Traviss, cause I consider your novels as basically *** **** themed SW)

Also, well, if you love creating stories and if you are good at it (it's the case), without any question, books are a better medium than videogames.

That last part is mere opinion. I enjoy writing stories and reading, but that doesn't beat a well presented story in a game that is accompanied by nice graphics, the right music and a host of other factors. it's literally the difference between reading about it, and being in it.

That last part is mere opinion. I enjoy writing stories and reading, but that doesn't beat a well presented story in a game that is accompanied by nice graphics, the right music and a host of other factors. it's literally the difference between reading about it, and being in it.

That whole part is mere opinion.

Games prompt certain perceptions that dampen imagination; the imagery, sounds, dialogue inflection, etc are all provided and are much more limiting than are printed words on a page.

And if you read further instead of just paraphrasing one part you'll see why its been criticized. Also commercial success doesn't necessarily equate to good writing. Using that logic Transformers which also shares the same monomyth qualities would be considered great storytelling as well?

You said nothing about his storytelling, just criticized the base form of his stories.

Yes, storytelling counts for a fair bit, but the layout itself is a highly successful base, by both commercial and survivability of a story. Most of the 'classics' follow this same pattern.

Personally, I enjoy his storytelling as well. He did an excellent job with KOTOR, ME, and the Bane novels. I haven't read the Revan novel, but I expect it would live up to his usual standard.