Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

THEY DROPPED THE BALL ON SERVER SIZES and NUMBER OF SERVERS

Mrcheezle

I know rerolling on a high pop server isn't advice a lot of people want to hear, but it is an option for both individuals and guilds.

Hold your horses, they will be adding server transfers, not sure when, hopefully somewhere around the 1.2 patch period.

They need to already add copy character to PTR, half their patches aren't properly tested because of lack of feedback (re toolbar changes).

Edited by Sookster

MMOs always have these problems.

Intense demand early on during release and then a massive drop off a month later. Even successful MMOs lose a large portion of their initial player-base post launch.

The problem is that servers tend to be a more long-term investment with contracts tied to them.

There's no easy solution since they:

A) have to piss off a large amount of players early on with server queues, lags and poor server performance

or

B) they end up with a large number of underpopulated realms shortly after the release month.

If the MMO continues to grow from then onward, option B is always the better choice. But that isn't always the case. On the other hand, empty servers cause people to get bored and spend ages LFG. So that's not ideal either.

Developers need to start planning for this ahead of time in their roll out design. Meaning, they should tie more servers together in naming restrictions from the get go, so they can merge them down later with no issues as the early population shrinks, which it always does. That way, they can have a fat roll out then trim back over time and not have any real set backs.

How is having enough servers for people to play on "dropping the ball"? They have enough at launch, the population drops, they consolidate. Why in the world would it be better to you if they'd had half as many servers with wait queues of 5 hours at launch?

I am having a hell of a time with this issue. The server I play on averages 30 people on the fleet during what I would consider peak hours ... its impossible to get a group or get a steady stream of pvp matches going ...

I have started rolling alts on other servers ... but its about the same everywhere I go ...

The key issue folk are missing here, is how Bioware are going to attract *NEW* players and promote population growth.

Personally, I just cant see how they will achieve it. My sub runs out on Monday and I probably wont be resubbing because the game is poor.

The bugs, yeah - well alot of games have those but its the design flaws that really annoy me.

In addition to that, look at the last 'Community' Q&A - littered again with so many 'its coming in the future' answers.

Regarding pvp, if Bioware werent so lazy and had cross server pvp, 15 min cooldown penalties like other MMOS do for quitters, rankings and brackets, at launch then the game might not already require life support for pvpers.

In a game that holds peoples hands every step of the way, means that players are dependant on Bioware to release new content and this wont happen anywhere near enough times to keep players paying their hard earned cash for 4-6 months whilst they rehash the same old content.

Bioware had a chance to give the MMO genre something different and exciting, outside of 'story' and have now shot themselves in the foot. As for server mergers - will they do this 'soon'? Because if the headlines read in March 'SWTOR to have server mergers this month', amongst the playing masses - rightly or wrongly, the game would be seen as a failure and just wont attract new players.

Edited by DarthMaulUK

They did that because their engine can't handle more than 10 people on the screen at the same time.

during the beta, i'm pretty sure the servers were alot heavier populated. Atleast each zone had huge ammounts of people in them before they got instanced. Dromund kaas was buzzing, but during launch now there were 1/5th of the same population.

I hope they can increase the ammount of people that it can handle.

In this moment i have in fleet only 90 conects, this is patetic

wait what? 90 players on your fleet? And another person mentioned a 100?

Damn you guys must be lucky. Either tons of people are always rerolling, because the most Ive ever seen on a planet is probably coruscant with 20. And quite a few of those are probably higher lvls coming back for a sec to move their story forward.

On our class ships there are hardly anyone in who, on planets themselves and at most Ive seen around 30 players on our fleet and that late at night at times when usually more people come/are online. It's that I'm having fun with the single player content but else I wouldve quite already. When I'll go imp, at the very least I'll pick a heavy server, heck maybe even a very heavy. Even if I have to wait 30 mins or more it will be worth it if I can actually experience the mmo part. And all these names for servers.

Light, standar, heavy, very heavy, it doesn't tell me much.

If a server is very heavy with 1 faction and the other is hardly there, how would I know whether it's a good or bad idea to go there when I want to try out another server.

Just add bloody numbers 4000 rep - 2000 imps or whatever at least that's clear.

Does anyone else agree that Bioware made way too many servers and made their population limit caps too small at launch.

Do we really need 120 N/A servers. (95% of which now have "Light" populations)

I currently play on 2 different N/A "East Coast" servers. Both of which have an average population of less than a dozen people in fleet on any given day prior to noon. Every WZ that finally does pop is out of balance do to a lack of a population.

Long story short.. The game is still new and the server populations are already a huge problem. Sadly its not a problem that is easily fixed. Server merges and name changes will only turn off and lose even more remaining players.

My 2 cents

They made that many servers, because they made a bad game with FPS issues. If they put a decent amount of players onto 1 server it would definitely crash all the clients, but also most likely the servers. They failed in every possible way with this game. That is why it has failed and is already dying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.