Pyrotech Mercenary with High Velocity Cylinder

vimm

I cant see doing this. The damage that your CGS does over a period of time is pretty darn high. If you don't believe me, just go into a warzone and accidently turn it off. As a Pyro, Railshot is your most important attack and its usable only against stunned targets or those taking periodic damage. Factor in that it resets the timer for you CGS DOT and you are really missing out on way more damage potential than you may think your gaining with the additional penetration the other set is giving you. Also, those dots are elemental damage and do more damage vs targets than your normal attacks (due to armor rating).

such a setup only works for powertech and vanguard who go assault and forgoe the dot cell for ion. they trade off increased armor (protection vs. kinetic and energy) for a snare

but for them, their ion cell applies the missing dot. you would have to rely on an expensive ability from pyrotech just so you could rail shot. i see it beeing too hard on heat

Ehhh well you *could*, and use incendiary to keep the burn on. I wouldn't in pvp for sure, you'd miss the snare too much. In PVE I'd use support and supercharge rather than the armor pen if I wasn't using the flame proc gas.

Yes, I've been using Incendiary Missle for the DoT for Rail Shot, and the heat management is tougher, but with 35% armor penetration, everything spikes harder.

Sorry, I meant to mention, this is with regards to PvP specifcally.

Edited by vimm

........ your entire tree revolves around you having a dot up on the target to deal extra damage, if your gonna use HVC then why not just be an arsenal merc instead?

Quite simple really, I do not enjoy Arsenal. I don't mind Barrage and Heatseeker Missles, but Tracer Missile puts me to sleep. Also, I can use Incendiary Missle for the DoT, rememer.

Quite simple really, I do not enjoy Arsenal. I don't mind Barrage and Heatseeker Missles, but Tracer Missile puts me to sleep. Also, I can use Incendiary Missle for the DoT, rememer.

that is definitely fair,

for me the TM auto shot (until something else is up that has priority) gives me time in pvp to look around, pick my next target, assess if i am in the right place, where to go next... time for situational awareness. In pve I am the DPS caller in raid, when lightning spawns on SOA I call out the effected players, I call adds when they pop... if the game was only "hit attacks for optimum damage" i would need more complex rotations.

in the end situational awareness for me is higher than any other game i have played, probably because of the ease of the BH priority list, it is nice actually, lack of mobility is my only gripe with the class (even no interrupts does not bother me much).

the whole 1v1 thing is a joke, no game will ever be balanced 1v1 so i really dont care.

such a setup only works for powertech and vanguard who go assault and forgoe the dot cell for ion. they trade off increased armor (protection vs. kinetic and energy) for a snare

but for them, their ion cell applies the missing dot. you would have to rely on an expensive ability from pyrotech just so you could rail shot. i see it beeing too hard on heat

It's an even worse idea for PTs since they can force the CGC proc with every flame burst ensuring perma 50% snare + DoT.

that is definitely fair,

for me the TM auto shot (until something else is up that has priority) gives me time in pvp to look around, pick my next target, assess if i am in the right place, where to go next... time for situational awareness. In pve I am the DPS caller in raid, when lightning spawns on SOA I call out the effected players, I call adds when they pop... if the game was only "hit attacks for optimum damage" i would need more complex rotations.

in the end situational awareness for me is higher than any other game i have played, probably because of the ease of the BH priority list, it is nice actually, lack of mobility is my only gripe with the class (even no interrupts does not bother me much).

the whole 1v1 thing is a joke, no game will ever be balanced 1v1 so i really dont care.

Yes, I really appreciate the mobility of the pyro tree.

so you want to be a gimped arsenal merc thats in a pyrotech tree? like seriously? your basically saying "Im a rich bastard but I'd rather live in poverty" it just doesnt make sense, you can do it, but it doesnt make sense. your damage will be crap compared to others due to the the wasted amount of talent points you've put into pyrotech

so you want to be a gimped arsenal merc thats in a pyrotech tree? like seriously? your basically saying "Im a rich bastard but I'd rather live in poverty" it just doesnt make sense, you can do it, but it doesnt make sense. your damage will be crap compared to others due to the the wasted amount of talent points you've put into pyrotech

No, you misunderstand entirely. None of the points would be wasted at all, and no, I don't want to be an Arsenal Mercenary, lol. I'm talking about using the Pyrotech tree, with the 35% armor penetration. Again, I'd be missing out on the DoT from Combustible Gas Cylinder, as well as the 2 second slow you gain from that proceedural effect - though you obviously wouldn't pick up the snare box in said case.

Explain to me how exchanging a 4 second DoT for 35% armor penetration is gimped, without being so narrow-sighted and forming irrelevant analogies. You still have Incendiary Missle, as well as all other benefits from the Pyrotech tree.

No, you misunderstand entirely. None of the points would be wasted at all, and no, I don't want to be an Arsenal Mercenary, lol. I'm talking about using the Pyrotech tree, with the 35% armor penetration. Again, I'd be missing out on the DoT from Combustible Gas Cylinder, as well as the 2 second slow you gain from that proceedural effect - though you obviously wouldn't pick up the snare box in said case.

Explain to me how exchanging a 4 second DoT for 35% armor penetration is gimped, without being so narrow-sighted and forming irrelevant analogies. You still have Incendiary Missle, as well as all other benefits from the Pyrotech tree.

But I don't get a four second DoT...!

Honestly, I'm thinking the DoT would out damage the Armor Penetration, especially in the Burnout range. I also think having to rely on IM would be limiting.

Side note: Why not just try it?

for 1. armor does not reduce your elemental damage, it only reduces energy and kenetic damage, so if you were using combustion gas cylinder, you got all that elemental damage ignoring 100% of their armor already

2. how the hell are you gonna get further into pyro tree without getting any of the combustion gas cylinder talents? by getting alacrity? inferred sensors? gyroscopic alignment jets? really? your gonna waste talents into those just to avoid the combustion gas cylinder talents?

honestly your really arent thinking through this at all just to avoid playing a set way that works

Honestly, I'm thinking the DoT would out damage the Armor Penetration, especially in the Burnout range. I also think having to rely on IM would be limiting.

Why do you assume I haven't tried it? I asked for people's thoughts about it, as I'm indecisive. Am I in the wrong place for that?

for 1. armor does not reduce your elemental damage, it only reduces energy and kenetic damage, so if you were using combustion gas cylinder, you got all that elemental damage ignoring 100% of their armor already

2. how the hell are you gonna get further into pyro tree without getting any of the combustion gas cylinder talents? by getting alacrity? inferred sensors? gyroscopic alignment jets? really? your gonna waste talents into those just to avoid the combustion gas cylinder talents?

honestly your really arent thinking through this at all just to avoid playing a set way that works

No, I still get the boxes that give me benefits from attacking players who are burning.

Here is the template - I'm not sure why this is upsetting people so much, lol.

35% Armor Penetration in exchange for the Combustible Gas Cylinder DoT and a 2 second snare upon a proc.

Thoughts?

The Pryo Tree evloves around CGC. It's kinda stupid not to use the CGC since you gain not only damage but an extra 6% for it to go off.

I can't imagine not having my Rapid Shots snare people. It's a beautiful option on the run, and having it baked in to everything is just incredible. My first 50 was a Pyro Powertech, and having it guaranteed on Flame Burst was so much better... but it's still great.

In terms of damage, you might do SLIGHTLY more in a vacuum given the fact that everything but IM would see a DPS boost... but how much DPS are you losing due to being outranged when you wouldn't? Or due to wasting a few second getting IM up when you realize you can't Rail Shot when it comes off cooldown?

Being able to reliably chain our burst is critical as Pyro in PVP.

It does, that's why I said don't do it. Plus, with the entire pyro tree centering around your target being on fire, or you setting your target on fire, why would you take away the matches?

It's silly and fail, but some people have to find out the hard way. OP, in stead of arguing with eveyrone aobut how great you think it should be in theory... go give it a try please.