Patch Now broke even more.

DarthWalt

SO you roll out yet another patch and bone us even harder now then before. REing has been broke we know this and you have confirmed it. Yesterdays patch seesm to have taken an already buggy and broke system and somehow made it worse then it was.

Atleast pre patch I would get messages saying I have learned the same schem for the 15th time but now nothing not even greens are produsing new schem. I made and RE 25 green implants and got 0 schems. Not even repeates. I then did 15 blues and again nothing. Now I understand these are small #s but this clearly shows there is an issue if you are REing 40 items and getting 0 schem from all that REing.

THese needs to be addressed ASAP. I am not going to sit here and say the crafting system is a total joke I enjoy it but this needes to be fixed cause you already have a good amount of people that think you failed to give them a good crafting system now your giving the rest of us reason to aggree cause its broke and keeps getting worse.

Please stop new content and give up the UI crap and address this issue or atleast give us an ETA on a fix. I hate having a crafting skill that unusable cause its broke, after I lvled it and its mission and gatherig to 400.

Dev Post

The reverse engineering return rate is not currently working as intended. In an upcoming patch, we are improving the reverse engineering rates – especially for the higher-level items. We are also looking into the issue where a player receives "You already know that schematic" instead of learning a new research variation.

Patrick Malott

Systems Designer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Issue is this problem has been going on for a long time now already. And its frustraiting that they put a patch almost every week and nothing to address a % issue. And with every patch it seems to get worse.

I would think but I am not going to claim I know that this would pretty easy to address and patch. Opps the % of REing is too low change that # opps they are still getting the wrong message change this line of code.

I would guess they are doing more than just adjusting the percentages. It's probably more like a code rewrite of how it works. Doing that takes time to not only write, but to test in any meaningful way.

I haven't crafted anything since ~new year's because of how bad the whole system is. I have alts now full of mats for pretty much any profession and am just waiting for 1.2 to see how it all shakes out.

1.2 sounds pretty promising for crafting overall, not just RE. My advice is just settle down and wait a few weeks.

I've got 2 blue recipes since the patch.

Both L49 items. One was barrel with 22 and the other was a L50 techblade.

First blue recipe was 1st try actually. L50 Techblade

2nd Blue recipe was about 7. cunning barrel 22

the 3rd one is 10 tries and counting. aim barrel 22

Going for epix now and the tech blade, counting at 5.

Edited by Ugugg

gtn emails are broke now too. before the patch they used to tell you what sold and to who. now it just says yeah you sold an item. at least they dont disconnect you and lose all the stuff that was in the email now but really you would think that they would check this.

My experiences recently have led me to believe that reverse engineering isn't all that great right now. I also seem to recall GZ posting something about changes to RE in the next major content patch. For now, the only time I'll do it is when I'm grinding skill points and want mats back; never in hopes of an upgrade.

Maybe it just depends on what server you're on because I'm still getting prototype and Artifact grade RE's every day on my Armormech, and it seems to be about the same rate it's been since Early Access.

Either that or RNG just hates you? /shrug

All I know is I really hope people will stop with the QQ because if Bioware waters this down to the point where everyone has all schematics, they will all be worthless.

LOL. As I've said many a time ... yet another patch, yet another post about how RNG whatever is broken. Sooo predictable.

I had really bad luck yesterday with RE, only got two blue and 1 purple schem out of a good amount of RE'ing. Of course all three were high level. I do not in any way think the patch was responsible.

gtn emails are broke now too. before the patch they used to tell you what sold and to who. now it just says yeah you sold an item. at least they dont disconnect you and lose all the stuff that was in the email now but really you would think that they would check this.

That issue has been known for a while. If you put something up for sale prior to patch and sell it after the patch is applied then it won't give you the details on what sold.

I've re'd something like 35 green Vigilant 19s over the past 2 days for an alt, and so far have produced exactly 0 results except for a giant waste of time.

Previous to whatever the hell they did on tues, a lvl 43 green would pop a blue between 8-12 re's, so something is seriously fubar here.

I've re'd something like 35 green Vigilant 19s over the past 2 days for an alt, and so far have produced exactly 0 results except for a giant waste of time.

Previous to whatever the hell they did on tues, a lvl 43 green would pop a blue between 8-12 re's, so something is seriously fubar here.

35 is too small of a sample. While interesting, your observation is statistically meaningless. Just the opposite happened to me last night, I got 5 purple schematics and never RE'd more than 3 blues to get one. This happened with Biochem, Artifice, and Cybertech. It's all up to the RNG gods.

Law of Large Numbers

There is no principle that a small number of observations will converge to the expected value or that a streak of one value will immediately be "balanced" by the others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_large_numbers

Don't be trapped by the Gambler's Fallacy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Edited by Owsley

Another patch, another RE is [more] broken thread. It's not. You're just on an unlucky streak. I successfully RE'd a bunch of stuff last night. (admitedly, all linear RE's which tend to be easier (IME).

That's always been true. When anything put up for sale pre-patch sells post-patch it doesn't tell you what sold in the e-mail. I *suspect* it's some safety measure in case the item database changes or something, but it's still annoying as all heck.

Glad I happened upon this thread, I've been getting frustrated about RE on the mid 40s armor mech items. I'm level 46 Merc and have geared myself as I leveled the whole way. At lower levels it was pretty easy to get purples, almost too easy. In the 30s it became harder to do that but still possible with some extra hours of scavenging grinding. In the 40s I've been leveling (or running out of money due to the 400 -credit fluxes and UWT missions) before I could get many purples. I'd say RE is not great in the the 40s.

Really kind of sick of critical game systems not working as intended.

I mean both the PvP RNG system and the RE systems are critical game systems. Never played an MMO where a patch broke these important systems and wasn't immediately rolled back or hotfixed the next day.

Makes me lose a lot of respect for the devs when these critical systems are not working 2 months into release.

Really kind of sick of critical game systems not working as intended.

I mean both the PvP RNG system and the RE systems are critical game systems. Never played an MMO where a patch broke these important systems and wasn't immediately rolled back or hotfixed the next day.

Makes me lose a lot of respect for the devs when these critical systems are not working 2 months into release.

Which patch is it that RE "broke" on, exactly? Everyone that thinks RE is broken believes it broke on a patch and yet has no idea which. I'd love to have this clarified.

SO you roll out yet another patch and bone us even harder now then before. REing has been broke we know this and you have confirmed it. Yesterdays patch seesm to have taken an already buggy and broke system and somehow made it worse then it was.

Atleast pre patch I would get messages saying I have learned the same schem for the 15th time but now nothing not even greens are produsing new schem. I made and RE 25 green implants and got 0 schems. Not even repeates. I then did 15 blues and again nothing. Now I understand these are small #s but this clearly shows there is an issue if you are REing 40 items and getting 0 schem from all that REing.

THese needs to be addressed ASAP. I am not going to sit here and say the crafting system is a total joke I enjoy it but this needes to be fixed cause you already have a good amount of people that think you failed to give them a good crafting system now your giving the rest of us reason to aggree cause its broke and keeps getting worse.

Please stop new content and give up the UI crap and address this issue or atleast give us an ETA on a fix. I hate having a crafting skill that unusable cause its broke, after I lvled it and its mission and gatherig to 400.

Ok...I dunno Wat the Hell your doin but I get schematics like crazy. Usually after 2-4 reings. So its not broke for me...but I guess it MUST be because your unlucky.

RE is not working as intended at this time. They are working on fixing it but it is obviously not as simple as the percentage being set to the wrong amount. There is a bug in the code that is resulting in a lower than expected rate of RE in some cases.

However. RE is not just not working. RE's are still going through at the lower than intended rate. Your 35 attempts mean nothing beyond bad luck.

If you're unhappy with the lower than intended rate of RE success don't RE until the patch notes state it's fixed and get on the test server when they are testing the fix to give feedback. Personally I haven't found the RE rate to be game breaking. Expensive and sometimes frustrating but not game breaking. If it is for you wait for it to be fixed, It's clearly not just that the success value is set at 2% instead of 5 or 10 or whatever they intend.

Nice of them to start looking into this several months after launch. Nice to know they weren't working on this throughout all those months and years of beta so that we launched with a "working as intended" system.

Good lord, where did they find the devs responsible for crafting in this game?

In the 40s I've been leveling (or running out of money due to the 400 -credit fluxes and UWT missions) before I could get many purples. I'd say RE is not great in the the 40s.

Just as an aside, IIRC the fluxes (and most other vender buyable components) after the grade 1 ones are generally *far* cheaper if you run the missions for them compared to buying them from the vendor. Don't remember how much the better grade 5 flux mission costs to run (think it's less than 2k credits) but it returns something like 24-30+ fluxes, which is obviously WAY less than 400 per.

Where in the patch notes does it say anything about increased RE chance?

RE is the same as it has always been, low chance at discovery. "Not working as intended" doesn't mean broken, it means that BW intended for the instant gratification players to be appeased at any cost and the RE value they decided on initially is not producing that effect.

But dont worry, you will get what you want regardless of what it does to the games economy, you just need to wait for the correct patch. "A" patch is not necessarily "the" patch. But please QQ about the release so I can get back to crafting. Nothing is more powerful than your tears.

Edited by Matty-Wan

Nice of them to start looking into this several months after launch. Nice to know they weren't working on this throughout all those months and years of beta so that we launched with a "working as intended" system.

Good lord, where did they find the devs responsible for crafting in this game?

Depends on what they mean by "working as intended". "Not working as intended" could mean they intended for there to be a 50% success rate, but due to a really complicated math error, the actual odds of success are 5%.

-or-

"Not working as intended" could mean that they intended that a 5% success rate would result in the RE mechanics being a fun & challenging system by which the dedicated crafters would be able to make a uniquish and highly sought after product, while the casual crafters would be left in the dust, however after recieving customer feedback which (for whatever reason) they didn't recieve during the beta period, (and lets face it, my experience with beta testers is they are *far* more interested in getting as far into the "actual game" as possible than testing the various auxilliary features) it appears that the 5% success rate is instead being recieved by the player base as a broken & frustrating system leading to far more anger and disgust than fun.

Now, the quote originates from the Systems Designer, who probably isn't the programmer involved in the actual implementation. To me, that suggests that the latter interpretation is more likely the correct one. It's working as designed, but the design isn't having the intended result. I would have expected a designer to say something along the lines of "it's bugged" or "it isn't working as designed" if the problem was with the actual implementation of the design. Saying it isn't working as intended is firmly taking the blame on himself, or, in other words, the design.

edit: Additionally, the fact that they haven't simply bumped up the success rate rather strongly, to me, suggests that the fix won't be simply bumping up the success rate. I'd guess/hope they're going to be doing something like making it so the more times you RE the more likely your are to succeed. Or possibly making it into some type of an RE skill.

(Now wouldn't THAT be fun... you can pick 3 skills... Gathering, crafting, mission, or RE. If you want improved odds of REing better schematics, you have to either buy your base materials off the GTN or your advanced mats... Or heck, maybe make RE a new craft skill entirely. RE'ers could RE any item, with an almost guaranteed schematic "drop", which they could then sell/give to a crafter.)

Edited by GnatB