U.S Players on Swiftsure, how the upcoming server transfers will effect us.

AZTECHNOLOGY

So I don't know if this has been answered, but amongst my Aussie buddies, they are claiming they are receiving free server Transfers to the new Oceanic server on release. My Question is what happens to those of us that are U.S players on the Swiftsure, especially those with multiple characters. Are we stuck upon the Titanic of a server, slowly sinking as the population seeps away to the oceanic servers? or will we also get the option of transfers to other servers? Edited by AZTECHNOLOGY
Title error

I didn't read anything about transfers being limited to players from the red zone, so I think anyone who wants to xfer over will be able to do so. I hope that's the case anyway, i'm a late night PST player. And prefer to play on oceanic servers, and it'd be kinda nice to transfer my 50 sorcerer to a PvE server as well. Seeing as I have no interest in playing nothing but huttball.

No one should be getting server transfers until everyone gets server transfers. If Oceanic players chose to buy and play the game prior to the Oceanic release that's on them. Let them start over on a new server like any of us would have to do if we wanted to change servers.

No one should be getting server transfers until everyone gets server transfers. If Oceanic players chose to buy and play the game prior to the Oceanic release that's on them. Let them start over on a new server like any of us would have to do if we wanted to change servers.

Did you ever think they are using this as their test basis on how smooth the xfers go?

No... didn't think you did.

So I don't know if this has been answered, but amongst my Aussie buddies, they are claiming they are receiving free server Transfers to the new Oceanic server on release. My Question is what happens to those of us that are U.S players on the Swiftsure, especially those with multiple characters. Are we stuck upon the Titanic of a server, slowly sinking as the population seeps away to the oceanic servers? or will we also get the option of transfers to other servers?

Probably the same thing that happened to Blackrock when they opened proper Oceanic servers in WoW - it died... oh wait.. :rolleyes:

Did you ever think they are using this as their test basis on how smooth the xfers go?

No... didn't think you did.

Testing how "smooth" server transfers go? Please define "smooth" in the context of server transfers. Ambiguous words like "smooth" are the bastion of people who have no idea what they're talking about but want to sound like they do.

So I don't know if this has been answered, but amongst my Aussie buddies, they are claiming they are receiving free server Transfers to the new Oceanic server on release. My Question is what happens to those of us that are U.S players on the Swiftsure, especially those with multiple characters. Are we stuck upon the Titanic of a server, slowly sinking as the population seeps away to the oceanic servers? or will we also get the option of transfers to other servers?

Edit:

Was too lazy to look :) Its good for them and does bode well for you transfering to a new server yourself pretty soon.

Edited by spoonguy

Since some of you guys are lazy:

http://www.swtor.com/news/news-article/20120214

"Players who have already begun their journey will also have a limited-time opportunity to migrate their characters from their current servers to Asia Pacific servers after the launch on March 1st, giving them the chance to take advantage of the decreased network latency by playing on a regional server. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details."

It was on the front page.

Edited by iheartnyc

Testing how "smooth" server transfers go? Please define "smooth" in the context of server transfers. Ambiguous words like "smooth" are the bastion of people who have no idea what they're talking about but want to sound like they do.

well I'm assuming he's talking about related issues to server transfers that could crop up, cargo hold items getting lost/duped/glitched, Legacy trasfer testing(really important if they introduce general cfers later{what happens if some1 already has a legacy on both servers}), poeple coming to same server from differing servers with same name. Quest log transfering properly; heck you could make a 5 page list on the potential hangups xfers can get into. A limited test via EST to Oceanic can give BW some lead time on issues they miss in first pass.

On a related note to xfers and the issues that could crop up; Would it not be a great idea to let the test sever accept char xfers? great way to iron out issues without aggroing the paid for content; while simultaneously adding the bonus of getting more 50's on the test. Or does that make too much sence?

Edited by BMBender

"Players who have already begun their journey will also have a limited-time opportunity to migrate their characters from their current servers to Asia Pacific servers after the launch on March 1st, giving them the chance to take advantage of the decreased network latency by playing on a regional server. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details."

We're all lazy its a computer game forum ... it's required. :p

How about those of us on ultra dead server RIGHTNOW?

You guys have it easy already.

Our all time high on the IMPERIAL FLEET was 52 players. Normal prime time peak at around 38 people and thats not even the worst because our Rep friends have it even worse sitting just below 30 during prime time.

well I'm assuming he's talking about related issues to server transfers that could crop up, cargo hold items getting lost/duped/glitched, Legacy trasfer testing(really important if they introduce general cfers later{what happens if some1 already has a legacy on both servers}), poeple coming to same server from differing servers with same name. Quest log transfering properly; heck you could make a 5 page list on the potential hangups xfers can get into. A limited test via EST to Oceanic can give BW some lead time on issues they miss in first pass.

On a related note to xfers and the issues that could crop up; Would it not be a great idea to let the test sever accept char xfers? great way to iron out issues and adding the bonus of getting more 50's on the test. Or does that make too much sence?

Most of those things would need to be tested extensively prior to implementing them in a live situation. They'd essentially have to be 100% before it would even be thinkable. And I don't mean 100% like normal BioWare patches that tend to break at least as much as they fix. Things like legacy name duplication would simply have to be decided by BioWare. You'd either have to allow for duplicate legacy names or force the transferring character to change legacy names upon arrival if their current name is taken. You couldn't just throw people with identical legacy names together and see what happens.

I could completely see allowing test transfers from live severs to the PTS. Not actual transfers mind you, more like making a duplicate of your character and transferring it. That makes perfect sense. Testing character transfers from a live server to a live server would be a terrible idea. If there were problems it would be a PR nightmare for BioWare.

Most of those things would need to be tested extensively prior to implementing them in a live situation. They'd essentially have to be 100% before it would even be thinkable. And I don't mean 100% like normal BioWare patches that tend to break at least as much as they fix. Things like legacy name duplication would simply have to be decided by BioWare. You'd either have to allow for duplicate legacy names or force the transferring character to change legacy names upon arrival if their current name is taken. You couldn't just throw people with identical legacy names together and see what happens.

I could completely see allowing test transfers from live severs to the PTS. Not actual transfers mind you, more like making a duplicate of your character and transferring it. That makes perfect sense. Testing character transfers from a live server to a live server would be a terrible idea. If there were problems it would be a PR nightmare for BioWare.

Anyone who thinks a brand new feature like complicated xfers will be 100% just from testing in house / out of house is either niave or.....

yea I mainly responded as an avenue to campain for a test server xfer, I AM SICK and tired of beta testing lvl 50 content every patch on live once a week. Maybe if we ever get enough 50's on test some of these borked patches will stop...maybe

I recently re-rolled on JJT, which is apparently an unofficial Oceanic PvE server. It's very convenient for me as an East Coast player because I play at off-peak hours. I'm worried that losing the Oceanic players will kill server pops during off-peak hours. Hopefully this happens in late March, because my subscription will have nearly expired.

I'd love the option to transfer over to Oceanic, though they've made it clear that they'll only be offering transfers to select players.

Edited by Ansultares

yea I mainly responded as an avenue to campain for a test server xfer, I AM SICK and tired of beta testing lvl 50 content every patch on live once a week. Maybe if we ever get enough 50's on test some of these borked patches will stop...maybe

I can't recall the MMO off the top of my head, but I know I played one where standard procedure was to copy your character to the test server and use that to test changes. I want to say it was City of Heroes, but I could be wrong. If TOR implemented something like that it would allow people to test how upcoming changes would actually impact their character at or around their live character level.

"Players in these countries who currently have or have had an active Star Wars: The Old Republic account prior to February 28, 2012 will have the opportunity to request a free character transfer for a limited time to an Asia Pacific server after the launch on March 1, 2012. All players who qualify for a character transfer will be notified in early March with more details."

Source: http://www.swtor.com/news/press-release/20120214

This indicates that if you are from Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong or Singapore, you will be getting a free character transfer. No other player outside of those areas will get a free character transfer. At least that is what I got out of it.

Also for those complaining what happens when all the Oceanic players leave Swiftsure, I say bad luck. I am currently on a server where if I don't get home and quickly finish my PvP Daily within 1-2 hours, I won't get to finish it at all. That is if I'm lucky. You lot on Swiftsure have had it far too easy for too long while the rest of us suffer. I will be keeping an eye on how many people decide to transfer to the Oceanic servers, but I for one hope most do because I'm tired of not being able to PvE or PvP due to this timezone difference.

Edited by Haydos

Yet you knew exactly what i meant...... :cool:

But when all you can resort to is a mistype, means... thats game set and match.

Enjoy the runners up silver star.

I'm used to having to decipher people's poor writing. Don't worry about it. I wasn't aware we were playing tennis though. It's been a while since I've played, but I recall a lot more running and far less typing. And I think you meant runner's. We'd have to have been playing pairs for runners to make sense. I'll just chalk that one up to your underdeveloped writing skills. Thanks for leaving me the silver at any rate. I never have liked the look of gold on me.

Edited by DarthSeidhr

I recently re-rolled on JJT, which is apparently an unofficial Oceanic PvE server. It's very convenient for me as an East Coast player because I play at off-peak hours. I'm worried that losing the Oceanic players will kill server pops during off-peak hours. Hopefully this happens in late March, because my subscription will have nearly expired.

I'd love the option to transfer over to Oceanic, though they've made it clear that they'll only be offering transfers to select players.

I'm the same way. Rolled on one of the unofficial ones because it matches my playtimes better. Hopefully not everyone will transfer. It will make me sad if I'm stuck. I have a complete sent of Imps there so rerolling on a new Oceanic specific one would be pain.

Hopefully they will just open up server transfer to everyone at some point soon. Would be nice. At least we know now that the mechanism for transfering is possible.

Edited by Jalliah

And with that comment you know you will never own or manage a business

You have the option to relocate to Australia before the server transfers hit. The majority of Australians should not have their ability to transfer affected because of a minority group of americans.

At least, that's how our threads go when we don't get to play as much as an equally paying customer due to server maintenance.