Power > Surge stacking

Zarthorn

To those that are stomping there feet over surge, fear not.

Power is still a great stat to have.

I just did a quick test on my Scoundrel of the new values 192 surge = 70% crit bonus, throw in underdog and you still have 100% critical on backblast, shoot first, tendon blast and flechette round.

Popping the trinket which puts me up to 411 surge would only give me an extra 9 % bonus.

Then we get to power, still stacking favorably, increases your damage gap across the board and does not DR as heavily as surge does, so I've been popping my adrenal and power trinket together instead for better results.

http://imageshack.us/f/703/screenshot2012021417344.jpg/

That screen shows how much damage increase stacking power gives, it effectively more than doubles my dps for the duration of the stim/trinket stack.

My gear is part champ/cent so obviously still some ways to go on that char but this was just to demonstrate that there is a silver lining to every cloud.....even if that cloud is currently overshadowed by healers now being insanely hard to kill.

To those that are stomping there feet over surge, fear not.

I just did a quick test on my Scoundrel of the new values 192 surge = 70% crit bonus, throw in underdog and you still have 100% critical on backblast, shoot first, tendon blast and flechette round.

Popping the trinket which puts me up to 411 surge would only give me an extra 9 % bonus.

Then we get to power, still stacking favorably, increases your damage gap across the board and does not DR as heavily as surge does, so I've been popping my adrenal and power trinket together instead for better results.

That screen shows how much damage increase stacking power gives, it effectively more than doubles my dps for the duration of the stim/trinket stack.

My gear is part champ/cent so obviously still some ways to go on that char but this was just to demonstrate that there is a silver lining to every cloud.....even if that cloud is currently overshadowed by healers now being insanely hard to kill.

we already know that... too bad all power enhancements comes with either surge/alacrity/accuracy... so we're pretty much forced to stack surge if we want power.

bad itemization is bad

we already know that... too bad all power enhancements comes with either surge/alacrity/accuracy... so we're pretty much forced to stack surge if we want power.

bad itemization is bad

Are you looking at the power amount of the screen or simply ranting?

1100+ power, I have hardly any alacrity or accuracy, when my stims/adrenals drop I still have 400ish power and 192 surge.

Again you should be mix and matching mods to get the most out of it, the surge nerf was done because of everyones laser beam focus on the stat, now you have to spread stats out a little better and think about what works and what doesn't.

Are you looking at the power amount of the screen or simply ranting?

1100+ power, I have hardly any alacrity or accuracy, when my stims/adrenals drop I still have 400ish power and 192 surge.

Again you should be mix and matching mods to get the most out of it, the surge nerf was done because of everyones laser beam focus on the stat, now you have to spread stats out a little better and think about what works and what doesn't.

POWER enhancements have surge, alacrity or accuracy. they come in NO OTHER COMBINATION

POWER mods drop a HUGE amount of your main stat for a piddling amount of power.

it's not the buff you think it is

to those that are stomping there feet over surge, fear not.

I just did a quick test on my scoundrel of the new values 192 surge = 70% crit bonus, throw in underdog and you still have 100% critical on backblast, shoot first, tendon blast and flechette round.

Then we get to power, still stacking favorably, increases your damage gap across the board and does not dr as heavily as surge does, so i've been popping my adrenal and power trinket together instead for better results.

that screen shows how much damage increase stacking power gives, it effectively more than doubles my dps for the duration of the stim/trinket stack.

thank you for posting this!!!!

+1

POWER enhancements have surge, alacrity or accuracy. they come in NO OTHER COMBINATION

POWER mods drop a HUGE amount of your main stat for a piddling amount of power.

it's not the buff you think it is

What are you doing using level 49 purple enh/mods?

You should be looking at ripping mods out of pvp/raid gear (you know level 56 and level 58 mods?) to get the most bang for your buck.

Shop around, pick ones that work for you and not against you, pick a set of armor that you are going to mod up and with any duplicate piece you get from your abudancy of commendations....rip the damn mod out and stick it in yours to patch up weaknesses.

This is half the battle, you need to stop using level 49 purple mods because you are hurting only yourself by trying to exchange your champ mods with them when you should be pulling pieces that are like for like from raid and other pvp sets.

Edited by Zarthorn

thank you for posting this!!!!

+1

He's wrong. But hey you're not the first people trying to compare power to surge when you cannot switch one from the other.

ITT : People failing at reading in game enhancements descriptions.

@Zarthorn : The failure is strong whithin your post.

Edited by Glor_

He's wrong. But hey you're not the first people trying to compare power to surge when you cannot switch one from the other.

@Zarthorn : The failure in your post is strong.

The Stupidity of people on this forum never fails to amaze me.

So you still have to take some surge on your gear, but with sensible gear balancing you can easily get an amount of surge without going too heavily into DR and plenty of power.

But what was the point I was trying to get home that you trolls failed to realise?

You now pop your Power Adrenal with your Power Trinket since they don't DR anywhere near as heavily as surge does now!

Grats you just gave yourself a nice big fat boost of power without "stacking" useless stats.

derp.

What are you doing using level 49 purple enh/mods?

You should be looking at ripping mods out of pvp/raid gear (you know level 56 and level 58 mods?) to get the most bang for your buck.

Shop around, pick ones that work for you and not against you, pick a set of armor that you are going to mod up and with any duplicate piece you get from your abudancy of commendations....rip the damn mod out and stick it in yours to patch up weaknesses.

This is half the battle, you need to stop using level 49 purple mods because you are hurting only yourself by trying to exchange your champ mods with them when you should be pulling pieces that are like for like from raid and other pvp sets.

it's universal, fool. dont talk if you dont have a clue. MODS with power instead of crit have lower MAIN STAT than the same level MOD with crit. ENHANCEMENTS only come in power/alacrity, power/accuracy, power/surge at ALL LEVELS

in my gear, a 350 power adrenal only gives me +70 bonus dmg. doesn't dr that bad he says...

Edited by Corran

it's universal, fool. dont talk if you dont have a clue. MODS with power instead of crit have lower MAIN STAT than the same level MOD with crit. ENHANCEMENTS only come in power/alacrity, power/accuracy, power/surge at ALL LEVELS

in my gear, a 350 power adrenal only gives me +70 bonus dmg. doesn't dr that bad he says...

You do know that power is consistent output right? So power won't be as high of a bonus as surge? Because you know...it's consistent.

@Zarthorn : The failure is strong whithin your post.

Why do you need to switch? You take power/surge.

The difference is how often you will crit and the amount.

It makes less reliance on RNG and more on consistent output. If that's the way you want to go of course.

He's right. You just don't like what he has to say.

The Stupidity of people on this forum never fails to amaze me.

So you still have to take some surge on your gear, but with sensible gear balancing you can easily get an amount of surge without going too heavily into DR and plenty of power.

But what was the point I was trying to get home that you trolls failed to realise?

You now pop your Power Adrenal with your Power Trinket since they don't DR anywhere near as heavily as surge does now!

Grats you just gave yourself a nice big fat boost of power without "stacking" useless stats.

derp.

Lol, i was at 90% crit damage bonus pre-nerf, i was already using power adrenals since like the first week of january. Never even crafted the crit or the surge one :/ Nice attempt at trolling though. I'm obviously not running with crit+surge relics either, it sucks so much.

If you don't want to understand that you CANNOT switch surge for power, since power does not exists as a tertiary stats on enhancements, i really can't help you much more. You're either dumb or in the denial of having made a fail thread.

@Jdnyc : so it's a matter of switching crit for power, not surge for power. Never said anything against that... He's still wrong.

Edited by Glor_

And you do realize that that pretty much proves OP's point, right? Power, force power, and tech power all seem to count the same in terms of increasing your amount of additional damage. For reasons that remain unknown to me, they all seem to scale roughly 4:1 - 5:1 in terms of how much damage they actually add, and about 20 or 25% less ooomph added to heals for additional healing also.

And you do realize that that pretty much proves OP's point, right? Power, force power, and tech power all seem to count the same in terms of increasing your amount of additional damage. For reasons that remain unknown to me, they all seem to scale roughly 4:1 - 5:1 in terms of how much damage they actually add, and about 20 or 25% less ooomph added to heals for additional healing also.

That's about right on the healing part - I'll have to look tonight though for specific percentage.

The downgrade comes from the fact that power isn't RNG. It's supposed to be consistent output.

That's about right on the healing part - I'll have to look tonight though for specific percentage.

The downgrade comes from the fact that power isn't RNG. It's supposed to be consistent output.

Yeah, I think it's consistent. Was like 4:1 for Power and possibly 4.5:1 for Force Power in terms of actual translation to damage increase at very low levels. Something quite close to that. By the poster saying he noticed about 70 increase in dmg from popping a 350 Power adrenal, that tells me that even at 50, from what he observed, yeah it's what other people have observed... pretty linear.

Poor guy is just realizing what other players have been doing for a month. Pointless post.

I've known for a while that power stacks well and it's why I never stacked surge in the first place.

I'd sooner take a clean dps boost to my min/max damage any day of the week over trying to squeeze for crit damage.

One of the biggest complaints of most Scoundrels is that they don't do enough damage outside stealth, this is your own fault for focusing entirely on crit/surge and completely ignoring power.

It's almost like people have forgotten entirely what DPS stands for.....Damage Per Second folks, as a DPS class you should always be looking to increase it and not looking to dump everything into an RNG stat that will leave you gimped outside of it.

Edit: Min/Max > RNG anyone that ever played AO will know how important increasing min/max damage was over going for crits only!

Edited by Zarthorn

I've known for a while that power stacks well and it's why I never stacked surge in the first place.

I'd sooner take a clean dps boost to my min/max damage any day of the week over trying to squeeze for crit damage.

One of the biggest complaints of most Scoundrels is that they don't do enough damage outside stealth, this is your own fault for focusing entirely on crit/surge and completely ignoring power.

It's almost like people have forgotten entirely what DPS stands for.....Damage Per Second folks, as a DPS class you should always be looking to increase it and not looking to dump everything into an RNG stat that will leave you gimped outside of it.

Edit: Min/Max > RNG anyone that ever played AO will know how important increasing min/max damage was over going for crits only!

Yeah, but in a lot of games, my last game was one such game, critical additional damage is considered good as gold because it ignores armor rating either partially or completely. Plus in pvp, especially if your target is being healed, it's burst damage that ultimately leads to dead bodies, the hard to kill ones anyway.

If you want to know how good Power is, use the tooltip damage because it actually reflects what damage you'll be doing (before armor), not the 'bonus damage' part. The coefficients for bonus damage multiplied to attacks is actually quite high.

As one poster pointed out, there are only 3 varities of enhancement that has Power: Power/Surge, Power/Alacrity, and Power/Accuracy. If you don't need accuracy/alacrity, this means you pretty much can only get Power/Surge no matter how bad Surge is. If there is a Power + Crit enhancement it might make sense to use that, but it doesn't actually exist. So you don't really get to stack Power without stacking Surge anyway, if the other two stats are useless to your class.

Yeah, but in a lot of games, my last game was one such game, critical additional damage is considered good as gold because it ignores armor rating either partially or completely. Plus in pvp, especially if your target is being healed, it's burst damage that ultimately leads to dead bodies, the hard to kill ones anyway.

Or you could target the healer and not the one being healed. Interrupt and burn the healer down. Or harass the healer and hope one of your teammates kill the other guy because your attacking the healer.

If you want to know how good Power is, use the tooltip damage because it actually reflects what damage you'll be doing (before armor), not the 'bonus damage' part. The coefficients for bonus damage multiplied to attacks is actually quite high.

As one poster pointed out, there are only 3 varities of enhancement that has Power: Power/Surge, Power/Alacrity, and Power/Accuracy. If you don't need accuracy/alacrity, this means you pretty much can only get Power/Surge no matter how bad Surge is. If there is a Power + Crit enhancement it might make sense to use that, but it doesn't actually exist. So you don't really get to stack Power without stacking Surge anyway, if the other two stats are useless to your class.

The suggestion is to have power/surge over crit/surge I think. At least by me it is.

it's universal, fool. dont talk if you dont have a clue. MODS with power instead of crit have lower MAIN STAT than the same level MOD with crit.

They do not. I'm looking at screenshots of Rakata Force Mystic's Headgear and Rakata Force Mystic's Lower Robe right now, one has 29 End/48 WP/37 Crit, the other has 29 End/48 WP/37 Power. Power and crit are not weighted separately. You're confusing version A mods with base or version B mods.

ENHANCEMENTS only come in power/alacrity, power/accuracy, power/surge at ALL LEVELS

Reflective enhancements provide endurance, shield, power and crit. I'm an Artificer, I make them.