Who designs such a flawed targeting toggle and still has a job?..

Barzarel

Serious i can't help but wonder what kind of designer, could possibly come up with current targeting toggling system and still have employment afterwards, never in my days have a seen such a flawed and brain dead system for targeting toggling.

So you ask what wrong with it? Well to state the obvious the 90% the time the targeting toggling targets CC'ed mobs first, what the point designing a system which supposed to make playing more manage-able with several dual taskings, and have same system fights its own design feature, by overwriting its use when it deliberately targets stunned/immobilized/CC'ed enemies first rather than non?

Serious how can this happen, please FIX IT NOW!

EDIT:

Example:

My companion Cryo freeze a target, so i toggle to find a new target to kill after killing my current, like a good boy scout i use toggling especially considering in TOR only 100% other safe way to target some is their feet base, for whatever reason i won't even try speculate on, and pratically every single time the first target showing for me is the one already stunned with cryo freeze, why on earth would i wanna hit this when its CCed, and other mobs are attacking me?

Okay so im sorcerer and get extra unexspected agro from behind so i throw a whirlwind on the strong mob, and target another kill it, then toggle for a new. GUESS WHICH IT PICKS FIRST? Yah its a brilliant game design really.

Edited by Barzarel

Lets not leave out trying to target in PvP jeesh. You can have an enemy dead center and 5 feet away and it will scroll through the whole team before it finally hits the right guy.

Agreed! At least in PVE you have more room for mistakes but, in PVP this targeting screw up cost matches. The Targeting BUG is more of a problem than the stupid CD on the UI!

Please BioWare address this issue.

Edited by whataboutbob

it's hard for the game to guess which target a player would really like to pick (there is no mind reading technology yet)

BUT

if the player cannot understand what the is algorithm (if there even is something except 'return random target') then it's a very bad game design.

many times i have pressed TAB key to mark a target that was next to the one i've killed and something far away (or behind) was selected.

clicking on the targets is also not idea, seems like the hitboxes are way bigger than the actual models - good luck selecing an enemy that is behind another enemy (even if the one in front is very small and you actually see the enemy behind very clearly).

---

this part should be in suggest section most likely, but i'll write it here anyway: i would love for some alternative "smart" tabbing: ctrl+tab would select the enemy with lowest health and maybe shift+tab to select enemies that are hitting me (instead of those that are aggroed on someone else) (the keybinds were just an example)

yes the targeting is very poor and given the huge (just mouse over something and slowly around it to see how huge) the hit box is it can be a real problem. the last thing you need in the heat of a close fight is to find you just broke cc and wiped the group. I think there are probably a few options that could be set to make life easier including implementing raid assist targeting too

Serious i can't help but wonder what kind of designer, could possibly come up with current targeting toggling system and still have employment afterwards, never in my days have a seen such a flawed and brain dead system for targeting toggling.

So you ask what wrong with it? Well to state the obvious the 90% the time the targeting toggling targets CC'ed mobs first, what the point designing a system which supposed to make playing more manage-able with several dual taskings, and have same system fights its own design feature, by overwriting its use when it deliberately targets stunned/immobilized/CC'ed enemies first rather than non?

Serious how can this happen, please FIX IT NOW!

EDIT:

Example:

My companion Cryo freeze a target, so i toggle to find a new target to kill after killing my current, like a good boy scout i use toggling especially considering in TOR only 100% other safe way to target some is their feet base, for whatever reason i won't even try speculate on, and pratically every single time the first target showing for me is the one already stunned with cryo freeze, why on earth would i wanna hit this when its CCed, and other mobs are attacking me?

Okay so im sorcerer and get extra unexspected agro from behind so i throw a whirlwind on the strong mob, and target another kill it, then toggle for a new. GUESS WHICH IT PICKS FIRST? Yah its a brilliant game design really.

Instead of hammering the devs check your targeting keybindings. There is more than one function for targeting, also you could look at what you are trying to hit. That usually helps.

I'd like to know who designed the targeting icon that your mouse cursor turns into. Seriously, it's so hard to click on different enemies that are grouped up. There should be an option to leave your cursor the way it normally is instead of turning into a sniper icon or whatever that's called.

Lets not leave out trying to target in PvP jeesh. You can have an enemy dead center and 5 feet away and it will scroll through the whole team before it finally hits the right guy.

That's a L2P issue. Hotkey "Target nearest enemy", problem solved.

I think that best part of this superfantastic system comes with hitboxes, which are alot bigger than the actual target.Easy to test near mailbox for example,wheres plenty of people,you can only target the first guy and someone who is behind is not targettable because of that magical hitbox aura. Edited by tatarski

Its too bad this thread is nothing but QQ, it could actually adress one issue i could agree with.

Instead its gonna get ignored. What a shame.

True on both counts. I too agree the targeting system needs work. Flaming the designers isn't going to make it happen.