The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Give me a legitimate reason to NOT have a LFD tool.

EvilTrollGuy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is what most people do when they use the fully automated cross server lfg system.
Do you have a source for "most people" or is that just speculation?

I've pugged a lot of dungeons, and most of them are partial groups with pugs filling in the holes rather than situations where everyone is from a different server. And that doesn't even count the people who run lfd groups in full guild groups, since I'd never get put in with a group that's already full.

Personally I suspect that the majority group up in guild and just use the tool for the badges; that's what most of my guildies did.

Note: I am not claiming to know much about Bioware or how they work, I'm new to the game.

That said, the major issue that LFD creates is a faster rate of content going obsolete. If Bioware wants to implement a cross-server LFD system, the fastest method of getting the most people into dungeons possible, then they have to realize that new dungeons are going to be done by the bulk of their players on day 1. RNG and the inability of many players to get in on patch day is the only thing that keeps the content rolling for up to a week before raids are the only thing left to do.

WoW in particular tried to counteract this by putting limits on their badge system so players would be required to wait a few weeks to get all of the vendor-bought gear that badges offered. It was successful in keeping people running them on a consistent basis longer. I, personally, found it tedious because I'm not a fan of dailies. That is to say, I don't mind running the same dungeons off and on in order to get gear, but I hate having the pressure of a weekly point cap driving me to do them over and over in order to meet that cap before reset.

TL;DR: If Bioware implements X-server LFD, they need to be ready to pump out a lot of content because dungeons will age much more rapidly.

I've pugged a lot of dungeons, and most of them are partial groups with pugs filling in the holes rather than situations where everyone is from a different server. And that doesn't even count the people who run lfd groups in full guild groups, since I'd never get put in with a group that's already full.

Personally I suspect that the majority group up in guild and just use the tool for the badges; that's what most of my guildies did.

he's lost credibility. He didnt think before he posted that it would be better for server-only groups because it takes an hour to find tanks/healers across 10million+ subs.

Of course...this was over a year ago so it was probably closer to 12mil subs.

So in 12mil subs it took him an hour to find tank/heals, but withou LFD he would have been able to find a group in a much shorter amount of time! Makes complete logical sense to me :(

(...)

You are not taking into account that you have to form those guilds somehow and meet the right people somewhere. This is not WoW with everyone knowing each other.

And yeah most people will use LFD. You don't need a source or speculation to know that if you give people more easily obtainable carrot they will go for it not looking back.

Edited by vandana_

he's lost credibility. He didnt think before he posted that it would be better for server-only groups because it takes an hour to find tanks/healers across 10million+ subs.

Of course...this was over a year ago so it was probably closer to 12mil subs.

So in 12mil subs it took him an hour to find tank/heals, but withou LFD he would have been able to find a group in a much shorter amount of time! Makes complete logical sense to me :(

Hahahahahahaha. The WoW LFG system pools the entire subscriber base. Good one.

ferroz you seem quite hostile in your responses.
How so?

When a statement like pointing out that there's another side of the coin is logically going to happen especially with someone with an opposing point of view.
Yes, we know you have a different opinion. We'd like to see if you have any actual valid reason to not add it. Having a different opinion isn't a valid reason.

I get it you want a fully automated cross server LFG system badly.
Actually, I don't care all that much; I'm highly in favor of choice. I'll use it when it's added; it'll probably renew my interest in running flashpoints (which are totally pointless for me at the moment)

That still does not make the points I stated invalid.
The reasons you stated are subjective and are in favor of enforcing a lack of choice, which makes them invalid.

Hahahahahahaha. The WoW LFG system pools the entire subscriber base. Good one.

Finally!

So lets look at this again since you're apparently responding again:

You are correct in that it is not the entire server-base - however I am guessing you last played when battlegroups determined where you were pulling from.

Now - LFD pulls from all of the US servers. Where a majority of players play.

Lets assume for a second it is still pulling from a set BG.

If your BG, multiple servers, was taking 50 minutes to form a group.

Again I ask - Why would it take you LESS TIME to find a tank/heals within the much smaller group of your single-server where tanks/heals are likely to be in high demand?

You are not taking into account that you have to form those guilds somehow and meet the right people somewhere. This is not WoW with everyone knowing each other.
So? LFD, whether single server or cross server is a valid way of meeting people. With the right tools it's even a good way to recruit for a guild.

And yeah most people will use LFD. You don't need a source or speculation to know that if you give people more easily obtainable carrot they will go for it not looking back.
So... you're taking up a position where you claim that know you are in a tiny minority and somehow think you should be allowed to impose your opinion on the vast majority?

Are you serious?

Dude you cant type a sentence to look for a grp, common people.

ONE SENTENCE IN TRADE /2

The average age is 27-35 you might not want to make assumption. This isnt kids world

*can't

*group

*come on

*isn't

Not to mention the lack of correct punctuation.

I award 0 troll stars out of 10.

For all of you who are asking for combat logs, new ui features, dual spec, a working AH, dungeon finder, legacy system, hi res textures, camera options, macros, transferable keybinds, ETC. please try to keep in mind, the people your deaing with have been trying to fix global cooldowns for 1 year of beta and 6 week of release and about 7 different patches, and every patch they put in trying to fix GCD breaks somthing else. Requiring them to take the servers down 1-2 days after maintenance to unbreak what the fixed. I for 1 just want them to stop trying to fix anything so that my gaming experience stops going from bad to worse weekly. Dont add anything dont patch anything im happy with this game the way it is, as half a game. You should not feel like failures BW just because everquest had working GCDs, macros, and a combat log at release in 1999. BABY STEPS no pressure.

The reasons you stated are subjective and are in favor of enforcing a lack of choice, which makes them invalid.

To refresh your memory and shorten my post these were my points.

• The inability to add new friends from the people you do interact with while running the event. You can't add friends from another server in SW:TOR and party with them at a later date.
  • Does not support finding groups for heroic quests. Players on another server can't help you here.
  • There are active players of all level ranges actively leveling.
  • No evidence to validate a cross server system. Saying it was tried in World of Warcraft does not say anything about SW:TOR.
  • A non automated system does not mean a player has to spam General Chat.

For all of you who are asking for combat logs, new ui features, dual spec, a working AH, dungeon finder, legacy system, hi res textures, camera options, macros, transferable keybinds, ETC. please try to keep in mind, the people your deaing with have been trying to fix global cooldowns for 1 year of beta and 6 week of release and about 7 different patches, and every patch they put in trying to fix GCD breaks somthing else. Requiring them to take the servers down 1-2 days after maintenance to unbreak what the fixed. I for 1 just want them to stop trying to fix anything so that my gaming experience stops going from bad to worse weekly. Dont add anything dont patch anything im happy with this game the way it is, as half a game. You should not feel like failures BW just because everquest had working GCDs, macros, and a combat log at release in 1999. BABY STEPS no pressure.

L the f-ing OL especial to the last sentence

• The inability to add new friends from the people you do interact with while running the event. You can't add friends from another server in SW:TOR and party with them at a later date.
  • Does not support finding groups for heroic quests. Players on another server can't help you here.
  • There are active players of all level ranges actively leveling.
  • No evidence to validate a cross server system. Saying it was tried in World of Warcraft does not say anything about SW:TOR.
  • A non automated system does not mean a player has to spam General Chat.

I see you are now leaving out it took you 50 minutes to find groups with LFD.

You are learning my Padawan.

Next Step - a non-automated system does not mean a player HAS to spam General Chat.

So - we're going to use logic and our combined experience with MMO's again.

I am sure like me you have played lots and lots of mmo's over the years.

So between the 2 of us we've likely played UO, M59, NWN, Eq, EQ2, DAOC, AC, GW, WoW, Warhammer, LOTRO, The Realms, uhm other ones I cant think of right now.

On all of those games without LFD's.....how did most people go about looking for a group.

ahhhhh....I can see it in your eyes....realization....the obviousness that people DO and WILL spam chat with LFG groups if there is no LFD....the way they CURRENTLY do right this second in SWTOR at all levels.

Your training is complete.

it pools them at the region level.

he seems to have abandoned the issues of how long it takes to find a group with LFD.

In his defense I believe it was Feb of last year when he last played WoW so he has no idea of the improvements to the system and likely played when BG's were the norm.

It still does not explain why not having an LFD and pulling from a larger pool of people would somehow decrease the time it would take to find a group/

[*]The inability to add new friends from the people you do interact with while running the event. You can't add friends from another server in SW:TOR and party with them at a later date.

False statement. In EQ, nearly a decade ago, I could add cross server friends. In wow, I can currently add cross server friends and group with them; they're making this even more accessible in the near future with their battle tag system.

At best: this is speculation, that they won't add any cross server tools.

[*]Does not support finding groups for heroic quests. Players on another server can't help you here.
Pure speculation, stated as if it were fact. The entire game is instanced as it is, there's no reason to assume that they can't make it work for heroics as well. The cross server lfg tool hasn't been added, so there's no way to know whether it will support doing heroics or not.

Even if you're correct, it's not actually a reason to not add the tool.

[*]There are active players of all level ranges actively leveling.

[*]No evidence to validate a cross server system. Saying it was tried in World of Warcraft does not say anything about SW:TOR.

[*]A non automated system does not mean a player has to spam General Chat.

None of these are, in any way, an objective reason to not add it. They are certainly reasons why you think it's not necessary, but the fact that you think it's not necessary is a purely subjective reason to not add it.

Did you want to try and come up with some valid reasons to not add it?

Edited by ferroz

With the amount of ridiculous questions I see on this forum about how to do this or that, or I can't beat this class boss ... I have to wonder if all the people worried about rampaging douchebags didn't cause their own problems by just being bad players. I tanked LFDs all the time in WoW and never once had a problem. I've actually seen more people in TOR need roll on stuff they shouldn't use themselves to give it to companions then I ever saw "ninjas" in WoW.

Does not support finding groups for heroic quests. Players on another server can't help you here.

Who says it needs to? These are off fleet, i group with those doing them at the moment i am doing it.

Most of the "problem" is being forced to stand in fleet for hours spamming.

x-server is ********.

A LFG tool for just a single server would help A LOT. Why do i need to sit like a dork in fleet just to get into a fp group. I could be doing stuff on other planets, pvp or whatever and just get into fps using the lfg tool instead.

We do not need x-server. Just merge servers so population is decent in every instance. Like it SHOULD BE!

Edited by Narblazu

x-server is ********.

A LFG tool for just a single server would help A LOT. Why do i need to sit like a dork in fleet just to get into a fp group. I could be doing stuff on other planets, pvp or whatever and just get into fps using the lfg tool instead.

We do not need x-server. Just merge servers so population is decent in every instance. Like it SHOULD BE!

They tried a server only LFD system in Rift and it failed horribly. I never once got a queue. There just weren't enough healers and tanks on one server to fill the groups.