Why SWTOR has more potential than GW2 or WoW

iheartnyc

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Star Wars universe? What's so special about that? Sure the (original) movies were great, but I don't see what's so special about the SW universe in general. It's filled with contradictions and silly things (granted I didn't read the books or anything).

I think "lore" is all about embracing it. I'm not a SW nut by any stretch of the imagination but the Orcs, Elves, Wolves, Wizards, D&D/Tolkien have reached extreme fatigue in my eyes.

I'm actually kinda bummed that people are pitching GW2 has the WoW killer... because it isnt.

GW is something different. Its for people with different tastes. Anyone who is a fan of WoW and thinks GW2 is WoW2, forget it already. Its NOTHING like WoW and there will be no carrots on a stick to go after. Its a game one plays for fun and nothing else.

I love Guild Wars and im gonna play it, but i will admit that im pretty satisfied with SWTOR. If anyone was a WoW killer (aka structured in a way in wich it improves over the WoW end-game formula) This was it. The classes, the raids... all alot more enjoyable on SWTOR than WoW.

GW2 is the type of game you log into to wonder arond for a bit and have fun. It will not give you any goals, you will have to make those yourself, or not.

So yeah, i agree this is the MMORPG with the most potencial and i dont see any other in the horizon that can amaze me this much, even beeing the GW fanboy i am.

Edited by Nemmar

I would definitely give GW2 a go if swtor does not fix combat and a number of other bugs / issues but I am not a pvp player. I am mostly pve. I thought that GW2 was going to be mainly pvp with a little pve thrown in. So if that is true, I am not sure that I and players like me would go over to GW2 even if it offers great combat, less bugs, better fps and none of the swtor graphics issues, and a more open world, etc.

Am I wrong about the direction of GW2? I actually hope so, because it would be something to try if BW does not get it's act together.

Yea thats really not true. There will be huge PVE content. I dare to say there will be even more PVE going on than PvP but we will have to see.

And the combat will be so dynamic, You will not do the same thing on the same boss when you do him again.

See you are just giving your perspective which is subjective...millions of Star Wars fans feel differently.

Meanwhile with this you are presenting a "fact" based on completely made up numbers, you have absolutely no clue how those people feel.

Anyway, even looking past opinion, it's hard to deny that the game doesn't stray far from the typical mold that fantasy MMO's have been using, and that a whole bunch of stuff they had to do doesn't make all that much sense in Star Wars lore (like people shrugging off being hit by a lightsaber repeatedly).

Yea thats really not true. There will be huge PVE content. I dare to say there will be even more PVE going on than PvP but we will have to see.

And the combat will be so dynamic, You will not do the same thing on the same boss when you do him again.

Please dont lie to the guy. Guild Wars was and will still be about the PvP.

There are no dungeons or raids. There are only events wich is a fancy way of doing the same quests over and over.

Edited by Nemmar

I would definitely give GW2 a go if swtor does not fix combat and a number of other bugs / issues but I am not a pvp player. I am mostly pve. I thought that GW2 was going to be mainly pvp with a little pve thrown in. So if that is true, I am not sure that I and players like me would go over to GW2 even if it offers great combat, less bugs, better fps and none of the swtor graphics issues, and a more open world, etc.

Am I wrong about the direction of GW2? I actually hope so, because it would be something to try if BW does not get it's act together.

It's both, PvP consists of 5v5 warzone type battles.

And WvWvW battles in which 3 different servers face-off against each other for 2 weeks constantly.

I'm not much of a PvPer either, but it'll be fun to join a good guild and go jump on WvWvW with a bunch of people and run around fighting the other 2 servers. Seems like chaotic fun.

It's said to have challenging PvE, but again, we'll have to see. It looks like all PvE levelling will be through doing dynamic events and your personal story. No more lame questing which I'm happy for.

lol...

oh man I feel sorry for blind haters.

Stay in this game for all I care, just don't be surprised when everyone leaves for GW2.

You'll come over eventually becuase you won't be able to help yourself.

They're putting the community back in MMO.

I will stay in this game cause it's star wars,as fot other fantasy MMOs..i played wow and dont like it anymore.

Some ppl are di hard fantasy lovers and MMO vets and will go to GW2,i respect that on the other hand.

Tho a lot of ppl playing tor are new to MMO's and playing cause it's SW and will stay here so hell no..not everyone will leave,and BW will fix more and more so i think swtor is here to stay but well see.

I'm actually kinda bummed that people are pitching GW2 has the WoW killer... because it isnt.

GW is something different. Its for people with different tastes. Anyone who is a fan of WoW and thinks GW2 is WoW2, forget it already. Its NOTHING like WoW and there will be no carrots on a stick to go after. Its a game one plays for fun and nothing else.

I love Guild Wars and im gonna play it, but i will admit that im pretty satisfied with SWTOR. If anyone was a WoW killer (aka structured in a way in wich it improves over the WoW end-game formula) This was it. The classes, the raids... all alot more enjoyable on SWTOR than WoW.

GW2 is the type of game you log into to wonder arond for a bit and have fun. It will not give you any goals, you will have to make those yourself, or not.

So yeah, i agree this is the MMORPG with the most potencial and i dont see any other in the horizon that can amaze me this much, even beeing the GW fanboy i am.

I actually disagree. There will be so many carrots that you will not know after which one to go. Or You can choose not to go after any, its up to You.

Daily/Weekly/Monthly achievements, 2500+ world dynamic events, weekly/monthly/annual competitive PvP tournaments, 3 dungeon modes and ofc WvWvW. And gear ofc :p thats a carrot in every game, here too

There are no dungeons or raids. There are only events wich is a fancy way of doing the same quests over and over.

There are Dungeons just no raids; as I said Anet hates loathes and despises progression raiding and the raider mentality.

It's both, PvP consists of 5v5 warzone type battles.

And WvWvW battles in which 3 different servers face-off against each other for 2 weeks constantly.

I'm not much of a PvPer either, but it'll be fun to join a good guild and go jump on WvWvW with a bunch of people and run around fighting the other 2 servers. Seems like chaotic fun.

It's said to have challenging PvE, but again, we'll have to see. It looks like all PvE levelling will be through doing dynamic events and your personal story. No more lame questing which I'm happy for.

Hehe... have you thought about it though? How will you level when theres no events going on? Besides PvP i only see the old mob grinding.

Meanwhile with this you are presenting a "fact" based on completely made up numbers, you have absolutely no clue how those people feel.

Anyway, even looking past opinion, it's hard to deny that the game doesn't stray far from the typical mold that fantasy MMO's have been using, and that a whole bunch of stuff they had to do doesn't make all that much sense in Star Wars lore (like people shrugging off being hit by a lightsaber repeatedly).

Hey Chill out there Elvis...no need to get defensive; I just stated a truism I didn't kick your puppy. :rolleyes:

No Dungeons? wrong.

No Raids? Define raid...up to 100 ppl killing a boss? Imo Raid..so Wrong again.

Quests? Wrong..there will be no quests.

GW2 goes totally different way. Forget about terminologies You know from WoW or whatever. This will be different game with different stuff.

No Dungeons? wrong.

GW2 goes totally different way. Forget about terminologies You know from WoW or whatever. This will be different game with different stuff.

It's not really that different, at least according to game sites like Rockpapershotgun who've played it.

They say it's nice, but it's still the same MMO with just more of the MMO bits hidden.

In the end, it's going to be the same thing as everything else.

It's still got classes, it's still got levels, it's still the same ********.

No Dungeons? wrong.

Okay can you list five negatives about the game? :)

There are Dungeons just no raids; as I said Anet hates loathes and despises progression raiding and the raider mentality.

Didnt know about dungeons... the GW dungeons are nothing like the ones we have on WoW and SWTOR. They were 3 levels or more of trash with traps in the way and a final boss that may drop something. It was hardly stellar design. But if there are, good cause its much needed PvE content.

As for Anet's mentallity i already know it well. Thats why i say GW2 is a game you will play for fun and not for the ultimate goals, since those wont exist. Its at heart a PvP MMORPG, and its good at what it tries to be.

You really shouldnt try to lure the WoW croud to GW2, they will raise hell cause the game is nothing like WoW. The PvE on GW2 is definitly not for WoW fans.

From what I understand you need to complete each dungeon in story-mode before opening it up for explorable mode.

Explorable mode contains 3 different paths in each, all with dynamic content.

Each dungeon has its own weapons and armor sets.

I know there's 3 dungeons at level 80, then one at 75, 65, 55, 45, 35 I believe

No Dungeons? wrong.

So, again: What's this premise of joining two guilds and the purpose?

It's not really that different, at least according to game sites like Rockpapershotgun who've played it.

They say it's nice, but it's still the same MMO with just more of the MMO bits hidden.

In the end, it's going to be the same thing as everything else.

It's still got classes, it's still got levels, it's still the same ********.

It is trying to break away from the trinity which is nice. For the moment though, my eye is on The Secret World and Archeage.

Sure TOR has potential - untapped potential. Even with the horrible single-player approach, there are a lot of things in the game that could obviously be great but are just mediocre. At the rate BW is going, the game should have some meat on its bones in 6-12 months. Maybe check back then, atm it isnt much to speak of.

You also could argue that the reason TOR has more 'potential' than WoW is that WoW has actualized its potential for some time now.

I really like SWTOR, but I don't think SWTOR, WoW or GW2 has much potential.

They're all variations of the same thing. Sure, GW2 is a significant departure, but not THAT far.

Now, TSW (The Secret World) I think has the most potential of any future MMO.

1st: No Levels. This is refreshing. No stupid grind to end game.

Interesting, but at the same time it sounds like it would get old fast. Progression needs to exist in some form.

2nd: No classes. No needed to reroll the flavour of the month, no need to play a defined roll. You build your class from over 500 abilities and can change it at any time.

This changes nothing. Cookie cutters will be formed abd the "flavor of the month" will just be whatever top spec is at the time. Nothing changes here.

3rd: 3 factions. Always more fun.

This isn't really true. Anyone who played Planetside (loved that game btw) knows that the only difference is either 1 faction dominates all due to overpop or 2 factions are even while the 3rd faction just get face rolled from 2 different directions causing that faction to just die. For example everyone in planetside left the TR and moved to either the VS or the NC because of the weapons they got were just overall better, so those that stuck around with TR pretty much just got stomped all the time.

In the end...nothing changes.

From what I understand you need to complete each dungeon in story-mode before opening it up for explorable mode.

Explorable mode contains 3 different paths in each, all with dynamic content.

Each dungeon has its own weapons and armor sets.

I know there's 3 dungeons at level 80, then one at 75, 65, 55, 45, 35 I believe

Right and what they are finding out in testing is folks are doing story mode and not bothering with Explorer mode which is making Anet go What the hell? It has totally monkey wrenched their design and now they are having to go back and rethink.