Unoffical Cross-Server is coming to town thread

Touchbass

UO had small communities within the sandbox, DAoC communities were server wide, they had to be if you were on the underpopulated side(Midgard-Gawaine FTW!). DAoC had some of the best features of any MMO to date but the UI is so clunky last time I tried it's unplayable compared to WoW and ToR. I'd die for UO or DAoC to update the original game mechanics with updated graphics and UI, I'd pay for both and drop both WoW and ToR if they were reasonably playable. Warhammer should have been DAoC 2 but while fun it had too many issues, did have great PvP battlegrounds though IMO.

I'm really enjoying the back and forth here, good arguements from both sides.

I WOULD TOO. I'd go back to UO in a heart beat if they did that and excluded Trammel :D.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most nerdrage moments in my history were pre-Tram UO. Was so much fun! Losing my Silver Double Axe of Vanquishing to a mob I couldn't get back to still pains me :(

I still feel UO had the best way of leveling the playing field, if the enemy can loot your stuff you leave the good stuff behind for guild dungeon runs etc...

For me Cross Server FP isn't a problem, cross server PvP I absolutely hate, it killed WoW for me PvPing and made it completely dull and uninteresting. I'm not against having it for FP but it wouldn't bother me if they didn't put it in either. I like to have the same people fighting against me, form a rivalry etc....

Very interesting, so far I thought cross server PvP wasn't an issue at all.

Pre-WoW games were either sandbox (SWG, EVE) or quite hard in terms of time-consumption. This made them less casual friendly (no logging in for an hour or two and running 2-3 instances), and therefore less popular, but much more community-oriented. Not saying that was better (was bad for people who were time-poor), but everything was community-dependent. There was no badge system -- there were only item drops. Heck in Everquest the dungeons were not instanced, so you had groups competing for mob spawns in dungeons. There were some mobs that only spawned once every 24 hours, and had needed gear drops and so on. It was just completely different.

Post-WoW it became more oriented towards "getting things done in an hour or two", which made it more friendly to more people (hence the explosion in player populations in MMORPGs), but also made the community increasingly "optional" and, for many players, outright disliked outside their guilds (references to other players as "pubbies", turning off chat other than guild chat and so on).

Neither is better or worse, each has pluses and minuses, but there is no going back to the old way. The new way is here to stay. And the new way isn't about community, it's about a manageable gaming session for the average player who has limited time. This is why LFD/LFR is popular -- it's much more efficient. And that makes sense, because the "cost" to community is overblown --> WoW really didn't have a great "community", or much of a community to speak of at all, prior to LFD, so the concern about community is mostly misplaced. All it does is make pugging easier and more anonymous and for the average player, trying to make a bit of progress with limited time to play, it's a big advantage over any system that is more time consuming or "community"-dependent.

This guy is my hero. Alas how many will read his post entirely? Edited by Ethern

In the dev. Q&A on Feb 10th Dual Spec got confirmed and now an interview with Stephen Reid has just confirmed they are looking into a cross server flash point finder which is huge considering they said they didn't like the notion originally.

http://toroz.com.au/2012/02/stephen-reid-qa-summary-transcript/

Who won? Who is next? You decide!

EDIT: For people skeptical or lazy

Simon – Any plans for an LFG tool?

SR: Definitely being looked at including cross-server Flashpoint tool. Definitely wanting to do.

EDIT 2: The above is not "word for word" and there is a podcast that you can listen to and the LFD part comes around 26:10. Under no way or form does he say LFD Is coming cross server but he confirms that they are in fact looking at it which is HUGE from their previous stance.

problem is if you actually listen to the podcast and what he says He does not say a x server LFD is comming but he just confirms they are looking at improving the LFG system and has a throw away line that a x server system was looked at.

I agree with this post except that EQ wasn't the only MMO that had a community beside MUDDs. Ultima Online had a huge community and so did Final Fantasy XI. I am pretty sure DAoC had one too. Honestly, WoW had a community back in Vanilla and even early-mid stages of TBC.

Of all the MMORPGs that I've played since 1999, IMO, DAoC had BY FAR the best community (I played on Percival/Guinevere/Nimue, the RP servers).

I found WoW's community to be good in closed beta, but starting from day one of launch... it turned to complete garbage. Especially on Argent Dawn, because every time (and it was frequent) certain PvP servers went down, the most immature players from those servers would invade AD simply to give RPers grief and be complete ********. The lack of a decent community was one of the main reasons I quit that game less than a year in and never looked back.

As for a x-server LFG being added, it's something that I'd personally never use. I'd much prefer a LFG system similar to DDO's being implemented here.

Edited by Skylarke

problem is if you actually listen to the podcast and what he says He does not say a x server LFD is comming but he just confirms they are looking at improving the LFG system and has a throw away line that a x server system was looked at.

That's why I made my second edit, I don't want to mislead people. I think it's fair to say that it's a proposal on the table of ideas, which is a lot better then the old stance

Of all the MMORPGs that I've played since 1999, IMO, DAoC had BY FAR the best community (I played on Percival/Guinevere/Nimue, the RP servers).

I found WoW's community to be good in closed beta, but starting from day one of launch... it turned to complete garbage. Especially on Argent Dawn, because every time (and it was frequent) certain PvP servers went down, the most immature players from those servers would invade AD simply to give RPers grief and be complete ********. The lack of a decent community was one of the main reasons I quit that game less than a year in and never looked back.

As for a x-server LFG being added, it's something that I'd personally never use. I'd much prefer a LFG system similar to DDO's being implemented here.

Well DaoC was a niche game for a very small player base. Ofc big games in terms of subs gets different kinda community on it. Where can you find millions of nerds beeing polite to each others? No where and EA /BW aint catering for those old MMO vets, they rather take WoW player base hence they made direct copy of it and are now adding rest of its features into the game.

On my server I had never had a problem finding a group for some flashpoint. I didnt just run the flashpoints 'until i got my gear' if i were doing HMs it was for fun/money/gear/friends gear. I do not really ever do HMs anymore but if one of my friends has an alt and needs a run I will help them and never had trouble finding dps tank or heals.

Not suggesting that some servers do have trouble, but I am saying that a LFG seems like it will not benefit my server and may possible hurt it.

On my server I had never had a problem finding a group for some flashpoint. I didnt just run the flashpoints 'until i got my gear' if i were doing HMs it was for fun/money/gear/friends gear. I do not really ever do HMs anymore but if one of my friends has an alt and needs a run I will help them and never had trouble finding dps tank or heals.

Not suggesting that some servers do have trouble, but I am saying that a LFG seems like it will not benefit my server and may possible hurt it.

Although it might help a lot of players on your server that aint in same position as you.

U should cancel already cause it is coming so why bother to pay till that.

Because there is still a probability that it will be implemented as same server LFG and not xserver.

Going out on a limb and assuming you are ok with constant posts in LFG chat like:

1. "GOGOGOGO" to the tank as he/she waits for 2secs for a cd to finish before pulling

2. "healz u sux cuz u let me die" as you stand in burning lava and are 1shot by a cc'd mob you attacked

3. Incessant posts of Recount to validate your self-worth

4. Racial/homophobic/sexist/....ist comments

None of which will be eliminated without xserver, but at least the ability to slowly ostracize people who behave poorly will.

The key difference is that the game will likely be over much sooner for you than someone who wants to build repoire with their fellow players in any mmo. This is exactly why WoW wont die. That game had a long enough period of time that people were "roughing it" w/o a cross server auto grouping tool that it established a playerbase who had built repoire with one another thus making the game more satisfying. A portion of those people remain loyal to WoW for that exclusive reason as some leave and others find themselves adopted by these established groups as they join the game.

As I said before, no mmo developer will ever make a game that playing it stays satisfying for any length of time based on content alone. Its the people we play with that keep us playing.

I played wow and i have no idea what you're describing as every person i encountered in wow (with very slight exceptions) was a jerk for little or no reason to everyone both before and after the lfg tool was implemented.

If anything the lfg tool made me stick around an extra expansion til they tried to resell me vanilla wow

Bottom line is that BW is a business with stock holders. A lot of money was put into this game, and as of right now, they are still in the negative. With low server populations, unbalanced factions, and many other things, people are unsubbing. Those stock holders want their money.

Anyone worried about "community" should make a thread saying how when they do eventually make this happen, they should transfer everyone who wants to, to new servers that do not have dual-specs, LFG finder, and x-server grouping. I bet those servers would be pretty empty.

I do believe that they could program the LFG finder to make it check your server prior to checking other servers.

I really don't understand the opposition for LFG. If you don't like it, don't use it. You can still get groups the "old" way if you prefer.

I welcome the LFG tool, as today I almost never get to do a FP in the time I have available to play and a lot of content I don't get to see.

I much prefer going to an instance with a bad group than not going at all.

Edited by Sunblade

I really don't understand the opposition for LFG. If you don't like it, don't use it. You can still get groups the "old" way if you prefer.

I welcome the LFG tool, as today I almost never get to do a FP in the time I have available to play and a lot of content I don't get to see.

They'll tell you it effects them too, even though they claim they have no problem getting groups now.

It's simple to understand. The opposition, and you can notice it by reading all anti LFG posts, is fed by fear. Fear is not rational, and that's the reason why you see a lot of far fetched so called arguments to deny the tool.

The truth is that apart from a few guilders, who at best constitutes less than 10% of the TOR's population, everyone is struggling for finding a group for a specific group content.

Anti LFD people say because some are lazy or antisocial - any far fetched argument I told you- but the truth is that even non lazy and social people are affected and suffering.

It is not an issue which has is origin due to the players. It's more due to the structure of the game: sharding, planets segregation, level discrepancies, different schedules and log hours, etc.

As long as this structure will remain, a cross server LFG tool will be needed, and even on high population servers.

At this point you realize that the opposition is ridiculous, because fed by fear, and conveying selfishness. You have a vocal minority who does not struggle to find groups and that denies that same benefit to the rest of the TOR's population.

Needless to say things need to change.

Edited by Ethern

Most people were ******es anyways before and after the x_lfd so that jerk causing argument has no salt. Now the big issue is that power games get "screwed over" by the change, they are no longer kings of the server and can't run things. Under the old system in WoW those who played 4-5 every day or at least 5 times a week+ sessions would network and monopolize the servers Tanks & DPS making it impossible for the average joe to get into a group in a reasonable amount of time. Your seeing something similar happening now in SWTOR as I've seen "LF 1 tank, must be geared for X". It's really a destructive atmosphere for most gamers.

in the dev. Q&a on feb 10th dual spec got confirmed and now an interview with stephen reid has just confirmed they are looking into a cross server flash point finder which is huge considering they said they didn't like the notion originally.

http://toroz.com.au/2012/02/stephen-reid-qa-summary-transcript/

who won? Who is next? You decide!

Edit: For people skeptical or lazy

simon – any plans for an lfg tool?

Sr: Definitely being looked at including cross-server flashpoint tool. Definitely wanting to do.

edit 2: The above is not "word for word" and there is a podcast that you can listen to and the lfd part comes around 26:10. Under no way or form does he say lfd is coming cross server but he confirms that they are in fact looking at it which is huge from their previous stance.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!