The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Give me a legitimate reason to NOT have a LFD tool.

EvilTrollGuy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW was fine prior to LFG and WoW was fine post LFG. In fact WoW still has and has had more than 10,000,000 people playing the game for over 2 years. Consider that, 10,000,000 who are playing the game.

WoW has lost 2,000,000 subs throughout Cata but that isn't 100% solely because of LFG/LFR. Cata was a horrible xpac and people just got tired of playing the same game for years and years and years.

ZOMG but no one ventures out of the cities and just clicks a button? Most people who are playing are level capped, there is no reason really outside of LoreMaster to leave the cities. If you go on servers like Blackrock, Illidan, Tich and watch trade chat there are huge amounts of people looking for localized groups. So the community didn't just shrivel up and blow away into nothingness as some would claim, it's still VERY MUCH THERE and 10,000,000 people says it's still doing well.

Again, LFG is and will always be a 100% OPTIONAL tool. You can still do the same things with your guild and friends that you're doing now. "New players" are still going to try and find guilds. What's really great is that people are going to have to waste their time spamming general chat for long periods of time on lower population servers.

Server mergers aren't really a good solution because then you run the very high risk of name problems and then you have to decide - who keeps and who doesn't. Names are kind of important things to people.

This is a lot harder to do if people just click away and end up in a party with a bunch of people they can't even communicate with at a later time.
ofc

becourse all those people want to play game, have fun, not waste time for nothing and then you realize that only tiny amount of people want to play like you stated, and ofcourse it become hard to this people to find each other

you will be pawns for greater good, deal with it

and second, you think that ypu can force people to play game like you by making artificial problems? force them? in game? nope, any chance

And the counter argument is, "you're better off finding a guild and when you're not able to do things with a guild then tools like this are available to you so that you are not wasting your time".

Furthermore, at least on my server the only time people talk is when there is a wipe. Other than that it's get in, get it done and move on. Frankly, I'm pretty darn OK with that. You may not be but that's you and again all this stuff is OPTIONAL.

A guild and new friends are 2 different things. Unless you're saying I shouldn't have friends outside my guild? Or that I should wait for them to join my guild to become friends with them? What if they're already in a different guild? you're either ducking or ignoring the point I made.

I wonder how do you make friends in the game? Do you just whisper a random person and just strike up a conversation? The majority of people who have someone on their friends list added them after a flashpoint or warzone run. Something happened or the level of skill, mentality or just coolness a person displayed during the event caused you to strike up a conversation with them. Low and behold a friendship is formed.

I can now contact them concerning running other flashpoints and warzones, crafting, general game knowledge or just shooting the breeze. So I ask you how can I expand my group of friends if I encounter a bunch of people from other servers that I can't even talk to later. Do we have a means of communicating with players from other servers? Do we have means to inviting players from other servers into a group to do shared content? Nope. So please explain to me how I'll be expanding my circle of friends?

ofc

becourse all those people want to play game, have fun, not waste time for nothing and then you realize that only tiny amount of people want to play like you stated, and ofcourse it become hard to this people to find each other

you will be pawns for greater good, deal with it

and second, you think that ypu can force people to play game like you by making artificial problems? force them? in game? nope, any chance

How many posts you see about how this game does not feel like an MMO and feels like a single player game and you say making friends and COMMUNICATING with OTHER players unimportant?

Edited by DarthKhaos

WoW was fine prior to LFG and WoW was fine post LFG. In fact WoW still has and has had more than 10,000,000 people playing the game for over 2 years. Consider that, 10,000,000 who are playing the game.

WoW has lost 2,000,000 subs throughout Cata but that isn't 100% solely because of LFG/LFR. Cata was a horrible xpac and people just got tired of playing the same game for years and years and years.

ZOMG but no one ventures out of the cities and just clicks a button? Most people who are playing are level capped, there is no reason really outside of LoreMaster to leave the cities. If you go on servers like Blackrock, Illidan, Tich and watch trade chat there are huge amounts of people looking for localized groups. So the community didn't just shrivel up and blow away into nothingness as some would claim, it's still VERY MUCH THERE and 10,000,000 people says it's still doing well.

Again, LFG is and will always be a 100% OPTIONAL tool. You can still do the same things with your guild and friends that you're doing now. "New players" are still going to try and find guilds. What's really great is that people are going to have to waste their time spamming general chat for long periods of time on lower population servers.

Server mergers aren't really a good solution because then you run the very high risk of name problems and then you have to decide - who keeps and who doesn't. Names are kind of important things to people.

You know, we get it. We know there are benefits to the system. But there are negatives too. I can recognize both and still have an opinion that aligns a certain way. But choosing a side and trying to play off the negatives as not negative, doesn't help your argument.

the WOW LFG tool gets some stick it doesnt deserve. the lack of communication , get in and grind it out dont say a word attitude comes from easy farm level content that has no pauses in and people have to do daily to get the gear they want for raiding.

honestly i see the same behaviour here in flashpoint

A guild and new friends are 2 different things. Unless you're saying I shouldn't have friends outside my guild? Or that I should wait for them to join my guild to become friends with them? What if they're already in a different guild? you're either ducking or ignoring the point I made.

I wonder how do you make friends in the game? Do you just whisper a random person and just strike up a conversation? The majority of people who have someone on their friends list added them after a flashpoint or warzone run. Something happened or the level of skill, mentality or just coolness a person displayed during the event caused you to strike up a conversation with them. Low and behold a friendship is formed.

I can now contact them concerning running other flashpoints and warzones, crafting, general game knowledge or just shooting the breeze. So I ask you how can I expand my group of friends if I encounter a bunch of people from other servers that I can't even talk to later. Do we have a means of communicating with players from other servers? Do we have means to inviting players from other servers into a group to do shared content? Nope. So please explain to me how I'll be expanding my circle of friends?

I don't go into games to "make a bunch of friends" but that's just how I like to play. If I find a guild and I have with competent people who like end-game, I'm there to do what I've been asked to do and that's how I find enjoyment. Just because it's an MMO doesn't automatically mean that everyone is there for the same reason.

Again, with optional tools you can still spam general/whisper people at your leisure and get them to do things with you. I personally do not like doing this and find it to be a HUGE waste of my time.

I guess maybe I just don't see how a tool like LFG suddenly stops you from spamming general chat, whispering to people and the like and that suddenly magically you'll never find another player on your server whom isn't in your guild to ever chat with.

As long as the unrepentant ninja looter ispanolfw doesn't use the x-server LFD, I'll be happy (won't have to worry about her noob looting!)

Hehe yeah, It's funny to see her so suddenly concerned about the others in her group ;)

Back on topic ..

As I stated in the other LFD thread open now. I don't think it was the tool being implimented that hurt WoW, but rather it was all the dumbing down and cookie cutter changes that were made during cata and 4.3 that was the real culprit.

The tool itself actually increased the number of players taking part in content that was either too intimidating or was too exclusive due to thier lack of a gear score or knowlege of the instance.

I can agree that in some cases it may decrease the pool for those who prefer the traditional methods. But I don't think we have to worry about community in a game that really has none.

the WOW LFG tool gets some stick it doesnt deserve. the lack of communication , get in and grind it out dont say a word attitude comes from easy farm level content that has no pauses in and people have to do daily to get the gear they want for raiding.

honestly i see the same behaviour here in flashpoint

I don't know In flashpoints like Black Talon, Esseles, Foundry and others with more conversation options there's quite a bit of chit chat going on. That's what I love about these flashpoints as opposed to the trash > boss > trash > boss model of other game instances and some of the more straight forward ones in this game.

Hehe yeah, It's funny to see her so suddenly concerned about the others in her group ;)

Back on topic ..

As I stated in the other LFD thread open now. I don't think it was the tool being implimented that hurt WoW, but rather it was all the dumbing down and cookie cutter changes that were made during cata and 4.3 that was the real culprit.

The tool itself actually increased the number of players taking part in content that was either too intimidating or was too exclusive due to thier lack of a gear score or knowlege of the instance.

I can agree that in some cases it may decrease the pool for those who prefer the traditional methods. But I don't think we have to worry about community in a game that really has none.

Aren't the two related? You said they didn't do it before and by doing it with the tool it needed to be dumbed down to accommodate for them.

Edited by DarthKhaos

ofc

you nothing but tiny amount of players, deal with it

we won't forget you sacrifice for the sake of all other players

You could go back and read and notice I don't care either way if it comes or not. You could also try to actually make an argument instead of claiming an unverified majority.

How many posts you see about how this game does not feel like an MMO and feels like a single player game and you say making friends and COMMUNICATING with OTHER players unimportant?
yes

your "make friends" stuff have nothing to do with miltiplayer, deal with it

i can play and have fun with players that not my friend and never be, and have no problem at all, i completed several hm FP already, all ppl was not mi "friends" i joined via lfg spam an no problem, exept FP they far to easy, laughable

I don't know In flashpoints like Black Talon, Esseles, Foundry and others with more conversation options there's quite a bit of chit chat going on. That's what I love about these flashpoints
and i HATE this

if i want to talk there general and guild, FP is not chat room…

Edited by navarh

yes

your "make friends" stuff have nothing to do with miltiplayer, deal with it

i can play and have fun with players that not my friend and never be, and have no problem at all, i completed several hm FP already, all ppl was not mi "friends" i joined via lfg spam an no problem, exept FP they far to easy, laughable

1. I feel sad for you.
  2. Who said I like or agree with the LFG spam in General Chat?

I don't go into games to "make a bunch of friends" but that's just how I like to play. If I find a guild and I have with competent people who like end-game, I'm there to do what I've been asked to do and that's how I find enjoyment. Just because it's an MMO doesn't automatically mean that everyone is there for the same reason.

Again, with optional tools you can still spam general/whisper people at your leisure and get them to do things with you. I personally do not like doing this and find it to be a HUGE waste of my time.

I guess maybe I just don't see how a tool like LFG suddenly stops you from spamming general chat, whispering to people and the like and that suddenly magically you'll never find another player on your server whom isn't in your guild to ever chat with.

See, the problem is you're looking at the wrong aspect of what it would bring. No it doesn't stop you from doing that. It reduces the amount of people, sometimes drastically, that you can spam to or whisper. So while it does help some people get groups more easily, it also hinders others due to helping those others not have to do those things.

And again, I don't care if it comes or doesn't come, but I can still see the pros AND cons of it. I don't have to agree, nor do you, on any given aspect, but at least I can easily understand both sides.

I don't say something like "I guess I just don't see" I MAKE myself see both sides, and it's rather simple. I don't let my personal view interfere when I look at it.

After a few days, and reading this entire thread, i think i changed my mind...

This game should have cross server lfg.

Its a cookie cutter "feature" in a cookie cutter MMO.

The community in this game will never really happen, with almost everything taking place in instances. The open world has little to no impact on the game, your decisions have no impact on the world. Its another, go chase the gear game, with little else to offer.

Basic pvp, basic pve. Very little open world content.

bleh.

I don't know In flashpoints like Black Talon, Esseles, Foundry and others with more conversation options there's quite a bit of chit chat going on. That's what I love about these flashpoints as opposed to the trash > boss > trash > boss model of other game instances and some of the more straight forward ones in this game.

It depends on the make-up of the group. Sometimes you get this, and sometimes the only "chit chat" is "SPACEBAR! SPACEBAR! SPACEBAR!"

Aren't the two related? You said they didn't do it before and by doing it with the tool it needed to be dumbed down to accommodate for them.

No, I'm saying they could have implimented the tool without all the changes and they'd have been better off IMO.

Edited by Grecanis

It depends on the make-up of the group. Sometimes you get this, and sometimes the only "chit chat" is "SPACEBAR! SPACEBAR! SPACEBAR!"

Haha I like to not spacebar and say "Well i hit spacebar" It's so funny seeing them panic and get worked up for a little while then resign to their faith and a nice bit of smack talk starts up.

No, I'm saying they could have implimented the tool without all the changes and they'd have been better off IMO.

You're saying they'e not related? Please clarify.

Edited by DarthKhaos

Haha I like to not spacebar and say "Well i hit spacebar" It's so funny seeing them panic and get worked up for a little while then resign to their faith and a nice bit of smack talk starts up.

lol that's a good one, I'll have to try that :)

Honestly, I mainly like watching the cutscenes in flashpoints because it gives me time to smoke a couple bowls. (!)

Dude 10k internet points for you. You hit that nail squarely on it's head.

The nay-sayers seem to pine for a "Golden Age" of mmos, where (apparently) there was a thing called a "community".

Spoiler alert: that was then, this is now and now (ie; the 21st century) people want convenience. I'm willing to bet none of the nay-sayers grow their own vegetables or butcher their own meat. Why? Because it's frankly too damned inconvenient. Join the rest of us in the 21st century and embrace a LFD tool. And if you don't want to use it? News flash: you don't have to.

LFD tools are the way it is now. The vast majority of us dont want another job - we want a game.

You couldn't be more wrong; not only is it true that there used to be a greater sense of community, but your very premise is the foundation for repeated awful releases.

So your experience on 1 server gives you the power to say that it isn't true? Wow you're arrogant. I have played on dozens of servers both US and EU in my WoW career, trust me, I have better experience in this than you do.
He's suggesting that a strong community can survive it.

Obviously it will be implemented because it's a valuable tool for uber-casuals/noobs, and TOR is 100% targeted towards uber-casuals/noobs.

Perhaps. It could also of been done as a precursor to the LFG. We'll never know.
That's possible; hard to tell, seeing as the WoW live team never lived up to the bar set by it's alpha/beta team, outside of raiding. Edited by Ansultares

Know what I find funny? Most of the so called nay-sayers are not against a fully automated tool. They are against a cross server one. The pro group is quick to jump and say it didn't work in WoW so don't bother. Who knows you implement a server only in SW:TOR and it works fine. I think jumping the gun to a cross server is premature.