Been thru Voss 3 times - IT. NEEDS. REBALANCING.

jimmybob

^this...Kiting is important, also interrupt is your friend in this fight. You can gimp his damage output severely with well timed spell interrupts and knock backs.

People don't want advice, they want the game made even easier. :rolleyes:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toughness starts to ramp up on Belsavis and the amount of work you do to get XP also ramps up on this planet and gets worse all the way to Ilum quests.

I find when an NPC is kicking my butt I need to watch their cast abilities to see what they are doing to me or themselves, in almost all cases it comes down to stopping those cast as much as possible to make the fight winnable, regardless of your gear, skills, buffs, and stims.

To be honost I like the "toughness" of the planet as I breeze through the other planets far too quickly because the NPCs have the challanging aspects of watching grass grow most of the time.

Although Voss says 44-47 level range I think most who have issues should try hitting the planet at 47 or 48, you will have an easier time of it. I've seen some folks hit it at 42-44 (I have before on toons in beta) and it's a lot tougher.

The only problem I had with Voss was with the Avatar of Sel-Makor (I think that's what it's called). That mob is just not sorc friendly at all. Constant spamming of force abilities followed by an obligatory deathgrip.

Had to get a friend to help me with that one. Other than that I was at the right level and found it reasonable, not easy.

Yeah, OP, something is off with your tale of woe.

I, too, do all of the quests including bonus missions and bonus series. By doing so I hit 50 on Voss. Corellia and Ilum are pure gravy for my characters. Voss is the planet I ding 50 on. I'm at least 2 to 3 levels above the mobs I am fighting on any planet past Nar Shadaa.

You are missing something.

Hmmm, I've done Voss with a Balance Shadow and a Gunnery Commando recently and I don't recall any particular hard quest elite boss. Found a brickwall on Ilum, for some reason my Jedi Shadow was able to kill Darth Arho easily (must have since I don't recall that fight at all on my Shadow) while my Trooper so far has been totally unable to get rid of him, but I don't honestly recall any major problem in Voss.- Edited by Nightmarer

People don't want advice, they want the game made even easier. :rolleyes:

i don't mind advice. i am past it now anyway, we'll see how hard it is on this toon i'm playing now when i get there. but i never once asked to make the battle easier, i was only pointing out that, that battle was hard for me. making that statement. doesn't result in me asking for the game to be made easier.

and all advice is welcome. its the best reason to come on forums i believe, and and to learn of new features

Do what most of the posters suggest. Get someone to help, breeze through the rest and get to 50 where you can read how there's nothing to do in the game.

It's one thing if the game is designed quest-wise, to teach you how to interrupt, cc, etc. the entire time you're questing. It's another to go through 90% of the game and suddenly get your *** kicked.

Man, this community is fail.

• 1 month later...

Well, i haven't been to Voss yet, but nevertheless I think it's always a good idea to quote Georg when the difficulty topic comes up:

[...]

A few general notes on challenging fights.

One of the most important aspects of higher level fights against elites is to counter their special abilities. You are required to use your interrupting abilities (e.g. Distraction on the Imperial Agent) in these fights to prevent these enemies from gaining the upper hand. In the short term, stuns and ballistic attacks/knockback will also help, but your interrupt abilities have the added benefit of preventing the target from using their special abilities.

Make sure your companion is properly equipped and that their signature abilities are enabled. For example, if you rely on your companion to take the brunt of the beating in a fight, make sure their 'defensive stance' is activated. Turn off their area of effect abilities when you're fighting single enemies - they are not efficient for these fights. You can enable/disable abilities by opening your companion panel (~ by default) and right clicking the ability. The green indicator on an ability tells you if a companion will consider the ability for use in their AI rotation.

Do not underestimate the benefit of stims and relics as short term efforts to turn the tide. Same goes for your 20 minute 'heroic moment' ability (the one that only works with your companion and triggers the music).

This sounds obvious, but make sure that your skill points (k) are distributed and that you've trained primary your abilities to level.

Finally, if all else fails, gaining additional equipment, levels or bringing a friend along to help with a challenging fight can be used to overcome temporary blocks. However, be advised that if you run into constantly very challenging fights, it is a good indication that your equipment might need updating.

All these notes aside, we are looking at difficulty issues constantly. If we find a trend that indicate a certain fight is broken or a specific advanced class has issues, we will act accordingly.

[...]

regards

Georg

Edited by Talahar

I'm Lv 48, and I find some of the gold bosses to be pretty tough on Voss. I'm a DPS and my tank companions tend to get rolled pretty quickly. If I use my other companions I generate all the threat and get rolled.

That being said, it's my first character in my first MMO. I'm willing to accept that it may just be me for the most part.

You are suppose to time when you break from the threat.

So as a dps, you will want to use your med pack first, put up your wards and soak up the damage as good as a tank at that point. Use all your interrupts, and your dps rotation.

Then break from threat with your invis before dying, and then your companion can take some dmg.

When they die your other cool downs should be refreshed such as med pac and wards, if not then use the med pac and use your slow and kite the target until the other timers are cooled down.

Its not easy, but thats the best you can do. If that does not work, then you need to be a higher lvl.

Also other than med pac you are suppose to use stims, adernals, and your relics.

Its not easy to coordinate all of that without practise, and unfortunately swtor does not allow you to practise that unless you are in a FP, or in pvp since if you are on your own the targets are too easy and die quickly before you can practise long rotations, or they are too hard and dying to them makes you have to wait for the respawn and of course the high costs.

Also you can try to kite, or use your environment more. If it is a melee boss, then running around while your companion attacks them is probably the easiest if that works, or if they are ranged try line of sight tactics. The line of sight tactics needs a large enough object to block the targets view.

edit: Also dont forget to use heroic call. and timing the bonus ability you get with that which becomes refreshed, and using that ability first, and then using heroic call.

In the end it becomes a rotation as complicated as it sounds, and there are some situation interrupts or even using the environment as such, but if you want to practice then I would start with perfecting the rotation, and then trying to use the environment more since imo, when you are using the environment you are so familiar with your rotation that you wont be distracted by looking around, kiting etc.

To help with rotations, for me, I wrote it on paper and of course practiced lvling up. So when I started to pvp, using keybinds was not difficult and using the rotations for dmg or other depending on class.

edit:1 So that training driod for 1.2 I hope it is what it is, and we can practice rotations on it. That should also help.

Edited by VegaPhone

Over and over I read posts by players who complain that the game is too easy and that they want a challenge, but when there is an actual hard quest or encounter the cries of "nerf this" go flying around faster than you can blink. I've leveled a Juggernaut, a Sniper, and most recently a Powertech through Voss and each time I did the Gormak Sabotage quest I had to work my tail off to not die from the opening salvo but I beat them, and I wouldn't change a thing about that quest. Use the tools the game gives you instead of begging for wowmode aka easymode gaming where you press a button and you get insta-epics.

My Knight, my Trooper, and my Inquisitor have all encountered the exact same problem on Voss. You can get through the first three-quarters of the planet without much problem. Then

BLAM

Brick wall. Suddenly, violently, you are way, way under powered.

Nah, there's just one quest, the area quest with the 2 strong mobs.

other than that, it's cake.

Played though it with my Defense spec Guardian and Kira, and never had any more problems then anywhere else. The hardest thing I deal with up to 50 was the elite Sith Battlelords on Corellia who were guarding the big guns. Those I had to actually use Doc on.

OP needs to L2P. Don't panic and dont mash buttons randomly. Gear up (go nuts on AH for purples or equip decent mods in your oranges, and use stims EQUAL to your level.

Learn how to put a slow on a "boss, elite strongs" , kite, hide and LOS behind a object. Bounce aggro between your pet and you and combine your health with your pet's to that big healthpool...

Any class in this game can solo champs, you just have to practice and RELLY learn your class, and a little "quest line/class boss is a fart in the universe.

And no you don't stand toe to toe like a wow-nub. Play in pve as you play in PvP.

Learn what abilities and attacks the mobs use and use your brain/spec/abilities/cd/consumables/friends to counter them (as in all pve, fp, Op. Nightmares etc. Instead of running to the forums crying about it.

That is what MMOS are ALL about.

Edited by Druru

They definitely shouldn't nerf quests unless they're also planning to nerf the hard mode flashpoints and operations, because the quests teach you how to play. I've noticed a pattern in my guild where the people who ask for help completing quests tend to perform poorly in end game. The most common problems are:

--they don't know when to interrupt (if there are multiple spells, they interrupt the least damaging one, for example)

--they don't know how to LoS (line of sight will save your butt on many occasions)

--they don't know how to swap aggro with their companion (aggro management is very important in end game)

--they don't know how to kite (there are many occasions when it's good to make sure the thing chasing you can't actually hit you)

--they don't know how to cc, or they break the cc (crowd control is essential in many fights)

--they don't pick the best place to stand and get knocked into other mobs

These are just some of the things I've noticed when people ask me for help, and after we're done I explain how they could've soloed it. Sadly, a lot of people don't want to hear the post mortem; they just wanna press on to the next quest and make all the same mistakes.

This game does have an identity crisis in that it was designed for story people who tend to know very little about raiding, yet the closer you get to end game the more raiding skills are required.

I started voss lvl 48, and I did have a problem with a few mobs, particulary the fire damage ones. I reached lvl 50 before finishing the planet and it was better, though there was still some trouble to be had. I put it down to the fact I am having trouble finding item mods for my lvl, so having to use the commendation ones, which are too low for lvl.

They definitely shouldn't nerf quests unless they're also planning to nerf the hard mode flashpoints and operations, because the quests teach you how to play. I've noticed a pattern in my guild where the people who ask for help completing quests tend to perform poorly in end game. The most common problems are:

--they don't know when to interrupt (if there are multiple spells, they interrupt the least damaging one, for example)

--they don't know how to LoS (line of sight will save your butt on many occasions)

--they don't know how to swap aggro with their companion (aggro management is very important in end game)

--they don't know how to kite (there are many occasions when it's good to make sure the thing chasing you can't actually hit you)

--they don't know how to cc, or they break the cc (crowd control is essential in many fights)

These are just some of the things I've noticed when people ask me for help, and after we're done I explain how they could've soloed it. Sadly, a lot of people don't want to hear the post mortem; they just wanna press on to the next quest and make all the same mistakes.

This game does have an identity crisis in that it was designed for story people who tend to know very little about raiding, yet the closer you get to end game the more raiding skills are required.

This is true, there are some who dont know what to do in some situations. Perhaps you could post a "how to" reply to your examples. I think equipment is another reason. I've found it very hard finding good stuff for my lvl as I've progressed. It doesn't help that about 95% of my loots from lvl10-50 have been completely useless to me. That's something I think they need to address too.

The biggest issue IMO is when class quests are too tough. Everything else is skippable but class quests have to be completed. People that argue that "bad player is bad" do have a point but the issue is when the difficulty spikes differently than previous experience.

My method of play when I'm going up against regular mobs of 3-4 of a similar level I is to just attack and go through a basic rotation as I know I can usually kill them easily. Mobs with Silver I may CC but usually just kill the weak enemy first. Gold mobs need all my attention, interrupts, and CC.

We've all run into issues when Silver mobs act like a Gold Mobs and vice versa. Occasionally there are Gold/Silver mobs that are insanely hard for the level. I personally like it and approach it like a mini boss. My biggest complaint for these mobs is that anything I kill before I die doesn't respawn as that makes it significantly easier. Because of this it makes the fights a lot less fun and I doubt Bioware got much feedback that the fights were too tough as a result. After playing through the game twice I feel - 1) mobs in SWTOR are much more challenging that WoW mobs and 2) Bioware didn't do a good job of making sure all mobs were balanced for their level.

I'm glad they made the game tougher as that is more fun but it required more time investment for balancing and that didn't happen. The worst situations are when a single gold mob is extremely difficult and I've run into this a few times and won through using my Heroic Ability and exploiting a cheese strat like kiting or line of sight.

While I understand the argument that the 1-49 game should teach someone to play, class quests can't be so tough that an average player gets frustrated and quits. While a few people might be happy they leave, the more people that play the game -- the more money Bioware has to make the game better. Anyone who doesn't see this is short sighted.

Edited by Jebei

This.

I had no problem whatsoever on Voss. I will also add to this list. Gear. Keep your mods up to date and this planet is as easy as the rest.