You actually call this pvp?

thefixx

I think to the younglings who their first game was wow, this is a great pvp game. Like crappy modern warfare and bad company and any other lame excuse of pvp.

Pvp doesn't mean player vs player in the real pvp community. Pvp is a bigger definition.

True pvp is risk vs reward.

The risk is on death you lose something.. loot off your backpack or person. You can't just rez with full health, full gear and come running back into a fight better off than when you go killed. Reward is taking those items for yourself, reward is being able to control a star system for your faction, reward is having higher resources for your faction if you are winning. What reward do we get for grinding out 3 boring as hell warzones? you get almost the same valor, comms, creds and xp for losing.

The best thing is for one side to just huddle up on the side and let the other side win, this would end the game faster and in turn grind less to get the lame comms to get the lame battlemaster armor, only to wear that in the same lame warzones.. No one even has a clue. What are you putting in all the time to win? battlemaster gear? hahaha. This game is so lame, you can go into a warzone with all green armor and still get comms and valor, why spend hard time, temper and b.s. grinding out battlemaster gear? is this the end game product everyone is after?

This game has sucked from the beginning. I'm stunned that bioware has anything to do with Daoc which is a real pvp game, rvr, guild's actually meant something and being part of a good guild meant something. Guilds could build cities and halls, shops and walls for protection and have those cities attacked. This game is all about pve and the sooner you people realize that the better off you'll be. Bioware is going to do the same thing wow did, through a few bones to the pvp community, say we really are looking out for our pvp community blah blah blah, keep the carrot in front of the face, soak out mths of subscriptions lying that the pvp content is coming, when really, all these servers should be pve, cuz there is zero difference, except gankfest while questing..

So that is bioware's definition of pvp.. gankfest while questing, cuz all the rest of this horse pucky you can get on pve servers.

Edited by thefixx

Guilds could build cities and halls, shops and walls for protection and have those cities attacked.

While I agree that SWTOR PvP leaves a lot to be desired, this statement is simply false (unless DAoC changed massively in later years).

You could capture keeps, yes, but not build them, nor destroy them (unless you count doors opening as "destroyed"). Shops and so on were introduced in player housing, but that existed solely in PvE areas near capitols. Nor could you build walls.

Sounds more like AoC/Darkfall from the building keeps and walls business.

I actually readed up to Daoc.

How dare you say not to compare to other games like WoW, etc. when you compare it to another game yourself?

This isn't Dark age of old game.

The PvP right now as many good stuff in it as well as a lot of things to fix.

The only perfect game is the one you dream off and it's far from perfect for everyone else.

It hasn't been 2 months since the game came out. And they have made pretty good fixes already.

They are still slow on many little fixes but at least they have their attention on the PvP more then the PvE. Just to see how EV is still buggish as hell.

Pvp doesn't mean player vs player in the real pvp community. Pvp is a bigger definition.

The risk is on death you lose something.. loot off your backpack or person. You can't just rez with full health, full gear and come running back into a fight better off than when you go killed. Reward is taking those items for yourself, reward is being able to control a star system for your faction, reward is having higher resources for your faction if you are winning. What reward do we get for grinding out 3 boring as hell warzones? you get almost the same valor, comms, creds and xp for losing.

this could work...

If Negative Reinforcement worked.

PROTIP- IT DOESN'T.

I think to the younglings who their first game was wow, this is a great pvp game. Like crappy modern warfare and bad company and any other lame excuse of pvp.

The best thing is for one side to just huddle up on the side and let the other side win, this would end the game faster and in turn grind less to get the lame comms to get the lame battlemaster armor, only to wear that in the same lame warzones.. No one even has a clue. What are you putting in all the time to win? battlemaster gear? hahaha. This game is so lame, you can go into a warzone with all green armor and still get comms and valor, why spend hard time, temper and b.s. grinding out battlemaster gear? is this the end game product everyone is after?

This game has sucked from the beginning. I'm stunned that bioware has anything to do with Daoc which is a real pvp game, rvr, guild's actually meant something and being part of a good guild meant something. Guilds could build cities and halls, shops and walls for protection and have those cities attacked. This game is all about pve and the sooner you people realize that the better off you'll be. Bioware is going to do the same thing wow did, through a few bones to the pvp community, say we really are looking out for our pvp community blah blah blah, keep the carrot in front of the face, soak out mths of subscriptions lying that the pvp content is coming, when really, all these servers should be pve, cuz there is zero difference, except gankfest while questing..

So that is bioware's definition of pvp.. gankfest while questing, cuz all the rest of this horse pucky you can get on pve servers.

hmmmmmmm

Well it ain't gonna happen.

However I could live with simple open world PvP as an alternative to warzones and camp-rep-base-or-camp-crates Ilum.

But in order to do that we need much higher population, better balance between imp/reb faction and possibly a reason to go to some planets other than Ilum at 50.

Imp and Rep Fleet are ok on PvE servers, but on PvP servers it pretty much means you have no reason to go to any planet other than Ilum post 50.

Unless you're going after a world boss.

It would help immensely if they could merge servers and allow faction switching in some form (to balance population, 5:1 imp/rep ratio isn't going to fix itself) and to implement some better community building tools such as chat bubbles, cross faction communication and so on.. I played quite a few mmorpgs before SWTOR and this is the first time (well actually no, that crappy DCUO was the first) I don't feel like I'm part of a community in game..

There are names in warzone etc, but that's it.

It's boring, because it feels like I'm playing a single player game or a coop game when I'm grouped with my friends.

I remember SWG where we (Eclipse server) had the best community, rebels and imps would organize player events, wars and so on.. and you would get to know other folks at the starport etc, then perhaps head out to grind together or w/e.

Hell even a crippled game like Vanguard with all its flaws had a better community than this: I was on the FFA PvP server and it was a blast while it lasted, despite all the bugs/exploits and the poor way SOE handled the game (like they usually do).

For open world PvP, there are two things that are easy to implement, add spice to it, yet don't piss the more casual gamers off:

-PvP rating, although we already have Valor. No tangible rewards other than a visible rating or titles.

Open world PvP rating could eventually lead to infamy and player bounties in the future (just saying :D )

-Money loss: they'd have to allow us to deposit money in the bank first, of course.. then the system could be something like if you die, you lose x% (10% perhaps) of the CASH money you're carrying at the time (so not the banked money).

Nice and easy, would give some reward for killing yet it's not as severe on the person dying as losing equipment and if you make sure to deposit your money in the bank often, you would lose nothing or next to nothing.

HOWEVER, before they do any of the above, they would have to allows us to release to fleet or release to bind upon death (with a cooldown, to prevent people from using it as a form of instatravel).

That's because nobody like to be ganked over and over and there should be a way out for when you just don't have the numbers to fight or such.

Well.. PvP where you loose equipment upon death means 2 things. Less people pvp`ing, and ganking groups... and lead to pvp dying out. Howyou get peiople txing somthing out? By making it non-risky of losing their ingame progress, and making the playing fun.

OP is simply incorrect.

Systems where you loose stuff upon death only work for games where the Equipment easily replaceable, like go back to trader get new Blaster, done. The Game "Neocron" tried to do PvP the ways to loose stuff, and it failed miserably.. they amended it by putting Stuff in limited "unlootable" Inventory Stots. sand still failed.

Would people play BF3, if you loose a weapon every time you die, no.

Well.. PvP where you loose equipment upon death means 2 things. Less people pvp`ing, and ganking groups... and lead to pvp dying out. Howyou get peiople txing somthing out? By making it non-risky of losing their ingame progress, and making the playing fun.

OP is simply incorrect.

Systems where you loose stuff upon death only work for games where the Equipment easily replaceable, like go back to trader get new Blaster, done. The Game "Neocron" tried to do PvP the ways to loose stuff, and it failed miserably.. they amended it by putting Stuff in limited "unlootable" Inventory Stots. sand still failed.

Would people play BF3, if you loose a weapon every time you die, no.

This!

Reminds me of AoC where the top guilds simply ganked the **** out of the newbie areas.

All that silly supie dupie open world PvP with looting encourages is that those players who played from the beginning and a lot have a massive advantage over the more casual player who is not playing since release and the gap widens with every death.

well, news flash: EQ1 originally let you loot corpses of pvp players you killed. Raid loot went bye bye. People got so bent out of shape devs curtailed it to one loot item. they still went berserk. Thus ended looting.

Suggesting we go back to the 90's for a proven failed pvp feature is like asking Ford to make the Pinto again.

/lol

so OP, you want pvp to be under a system that has been proven more than once to be unsuccessful?

if it ever happened, I would join your server specifically to revel in your tears as a large group of enemies camps you and steals your ****

over

and over

and over

and over

and over again

why? because tears from the people complaining about the very same systems they wanted make the best soup

I feel ya OP. The thing is, they just don't make those games anymore. No risk/penalties in PvP = more subscribers, which means more money. I've watched risk/penalties slowly fade away over the years, while MMO's grow in popularity. Pretty soon they'll start giving XP for getting killed in PvP as a consolation prize. **** changes, and I miss the old days, but sadly it's one of those "Get used to it or stop playing" things. I'm not going to give in to mini-game PvP matches being the main event over world PvP though. I'll stick it out for a bit and see what happens.

PvP just means "player vs player" and the term is far older than the games you listed, they just put an additional factor onto it, defined what pvp was in their games. It does not make it the only valid definition.

I mean, if you claim to being that older experienced person, then by now you should have realized this? I mean, it does'nt take any real education in the etymology of the term "PvP" to figure out what its meaning is.

This is good pvp for a themepark pve game where gear is much more important than skill and equipment would never drop or break on death.

Games with open world and/or large scale equipment drops/breaks (or even just degrades) do not have such a huge contribution of effectiveness come from equipment, and equipment tends to not be quite so difficult to replace, and the really rare stuff is more for prestige of having it more than it being so much more effective than the common stuff.

Personally i prefer games where equipment is not as important to a characters effectiveness as it is in these eq clones but, they dont seem to make mmos like that anymore.