Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I agree. It's really just another customization option in a way and gives us extra choices we didn't have before to tailor the story to our own wishes, and wasn't that one of the selling points of SWTOR? Creating our own epic journey?

That was a way more concise way of putting it. :o

But yes. We're part player and part writer, and that's one of the most enjoyable things about TOR (for me, anyway). Sure, the 'writing' is very rudimentary (resembling a complex Choose Your Own Adventure book more than a writing exercise) but I see this as a great opportunity to add just a little more flexibility to characters that were specifically designed to be evocative.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a point - my suggestion of outside help via George Takei was, as I put it, a "crazy thought". Meaning a long shot, and something to lift the doom-and-gloom attitude that had started to form. It wasn't completely serious.

The last thing that needs to happen is that this whole scenario turns into a battlefield, as has been said before. Because where advocacy groups would support the cause - others would turn against it. That should really be a last resort above all else.

Anyway, there is merit in the ideas of making a wishlist of what people would like to see, and I also see some degree of merit in giving a specific timeframe for BW to give the community some news on the progress of SGRAs. The question is, what is the best path to go forward, and why?

(And before anyone asks why suddenly I have begun posting on this after 80+ pages plus other iterations, I was reading through the Q&A thread and saw that a lot of the posts asked about SGRAs. So continuously asking is getting you followers, of a sort. Besides, I personally believe in equality - and part of me really would like to see my pureblood male Juggernaut have a fling with Quinn.)

Edited by Ravenstormer

cba to read all but now im playing female toon passed few planets with not a signle option to flirt with male npcs while at this stage with my main toon i F-ed and could flirt here and there....

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that male characters get a lot more options for flirting and casual sex than female characters. If you're curious there's a thread about it here.

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that male characters get a lot more options for flirting and casual sex than female characters. If you're curious there's a thread about it here.

*Shrug* Might be a class content thing, but I saw more flirts on my female Smuggler and Agent (alone) than I saw on my Warrior and both Jedi combined.

Edited by Helig

*Shrug* Might be a class content thing, but I saw more flirts on my female Smuggler and Agent (alone) than I saw on my Warrior and both Jedi combined.

Might be class content, yes. I got my JK to 50 and she didn't see much action at all but then she IS a Jedi. I gather there are fewer options for them than most classes (though I might be wrong).

To be honest I never got involved in the female-to-male flirt ratio conversation. I just recalled the thread from when I was flicking through the forums a couple of weeks ago.

Might be class content, yes. I got my JK to 50 and she didn't see much action at all but then she IS a Jedi. I gather there are fewer options for them than most classes (though I might be wrong).

To be honest I never got involved in the female-to-male flirt ratio conversation. I just recalled the thread from when I was flicking through the forums a couple of weeks ago.

The Consular seems to be a bit more... relaxed in this regard. The Warrior is, unsurprisingly, quite macho. That said, all abovementioned Force-users are male (levelling lady inquisitor, but she isn't very high - can't comment).

But Agents and Smugglers appear to be the most love-hungry class - no matter the gender.

Hello Everyone,

We have recently removed a number of off-topic, inappropriate, and non-constructive posts from this thread.

We would like to remind everyone that due to the volatile nature of real-world politics, morality, and religion, discussions involving these subjects are not appropriate for the forums.

This thread is for discussing the when and how of implementation of same gender romance in Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. Discussion of other subjects such as (but not limited to) the merits of inclusion of same gender romance will be treated as off-topic and removed. If you feel someone is breaking the rules, please do not respond to their post. Please flag the post and the Community Team will investigate.

We greatly appreciate your constructive feedback, positive or negative, and thank you for keeping this thread constructive and respectful.

Edited by Moitteva
reopening thread

But Agents and Smugglers appear to be the most love-hungry class - no matter the gender.

Yeah, my female Agent can flirt with just about any sleaze she runs across.

I've noticed my female BH and Consular are easier to play in that regard (don't have to be as careful when choosing dialog options).

Devs seem to be avoiding this topic like the plague in the Q&A sessions. They'd much rather talk about the implemetation of chat bubbles. (Seriously.)

It's kind of lame that there has been so little dialogue about this topic other than the cookie-cutter PR answer of "eventually". Sounds like a politicians promise to me.

Well, the male Knight gets to make smoochies with that Twi'lek lassie before he even leaves Tython.

It seems female Knights are almost entirely restricted to horrible, horrible Doc (who I'd very much like to lightsaber right in his stupid face).

EDIT: Though - on reflection - Doc doing that obnoxious 'Hey, gorgeous' thing to a male Knight is reason enough all on its own to implement SGRAs. "Hey, handsome, you want fries to go with that shake!" Epic. =D

Edited by LeeArac

(And before anyone asks why suddenly I have begun posting on this after 80+ pages plus other iterations, I was reading through the Q&A thread and saw that a lot of the posts asked about SGRAs. So continuously asking is getting you followers, of a sort. Besides, I personally believe in equality - and part of me really would like to see my pureblood male Juggernaut have a fling with Quinn.)

I was talking to my sister, just home from an excursion to the President's Day sales at the outlet malls with the other women in her Sunday School class (i.e. my sister is a Middle-American Church Lady). Now, my sister's husband is a senior software engineer at a firm that creates flight simulators for aviation schools &c. and he gets in on every MMO Beta he can, and she plays the game with him. They have been married for 23 years, have three kids ages 8 to 16, a cat and a dog. They are both as straight as the shortest distance between any two geometric points. They are Ward & June Cleaver, and they play MMOs.

Just the ones I have actually heard of through them cut a wide swath: WoW, of course (they belonged to the first guild founded on Stormrage), but also CoH, Aion, Age of Conan, LotRO (before it went F2P) and on and on. Generally, if I am playing an MMO, it is because my sister recommended it. I was introduced to SWTOR during my stay with their family over Christmas.

Anyone following these threads will know that I have been talking about same-gender content a lot. It is my Gemini curse - I'm talking and I can't shut up. Now, my sister talks even more avidly so, during our weekly phone visit last night (she is big on family and likes to keep up), it took a while for me to edge the conversation around to SWTOR, [flirt]s and companion romances.

I told her about the September Announcement, I covered the salient points of the issue to date, and mentioned that a larger moeity of my forum activity was going to this topic (she knows I am as gay as an Easter parade, and it has never been an issue). And she said something I felt was extraordinary.

"Well, I might like to see more options, too. You know I only play female characters, but I really do like - oh, what's her name? The first bounty hunter companion who's so smart and sweet?" ("Mako," I interjected, seeing a chance to get my word in while I could) "Yes- her! I would like to see how she would respond to a flirt, and wouldn't mind seeing the romance. Hell, yeah - if that is something BioWare plans to implement, the sooner the better."

I mentioned that I might be sending her the links to a few threads via email, if she cared to say as much on these forums, and we moved on to other topics like the great deals she had found for underwear at the outlet malls.

I am telling all this to illustrate a couple of points:

One, those who think that same-gender content only appeals to the (presumably miniscule) LGBT player base, or to the (potentially much larger) young, straight, male players who want to see two female toons getting it on are, in fact, mistaken. There are all kinds of people - even straight, married, church-attending, minivan-driving moms - who support this content and want to see it implemented.

Two - and bringing it back to the post I have quoted above, we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by keeping this issue visible and talking about it. There are people who have not known anything about BioWare's commitment to same-gender content (my sister does not read forums, so the whole fracas during pre-release escaped her notice) and many of them are supportive.

On the theory that one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar, I think it is important to stay on a positive level. As someone deeply invested in this issue, I also know that can be more easy to say than to do. So, those are my thoughts for Monday afternoon. I'll be back with the Q&A update, shortly.

Edited by Uluain

Devs seem to be avoiding this topic like the plague in the Q&A sessions. They'd much rather talk about the implemetation of chat bubbles. (Seriously.)

Yes. I think most of us have gotten an inkling that they really are not eager to discuss this. Which is why continuing to post to the Community Q&A Thread is important - it is the best way we have to reply and say, "Oh, no - I think you really do want to talk about this. Seriously."

I am not a statistician. I cannot project what percentage of a forum population concerned with Issue X extrapolates to in regards to dollars earned from paid player accounts. But I do know that the Development Team cannot help but notice if the same issue is brought up a lot.

Our numbers slipped a little today - which is expected as most of those who feel strongly about this and know the Q&A thread is there posted early on - and at my latest count, with the thread at 748 posts, 68 respondents have asked for an update on the status of same-gender content. That is approximately 9% of all questions.

(By way of comparison, to choose another topic from one recently thrown in our teeth as one that "really matters to more players", the number of posts regarding Space Combat and those asking about free flight in space generally - combined - is 24, which comes to 3% of all asked).

Good news - this is already eight more respondents than asked about same-gender content last week. 9% is much higher than where we stood when the topic closed last Tuesday.

Bad news - there is still a full day to post, and most of us who have a dog in this fight have said our piece. So, if you have not posted to this week's Community Q&A and want an update on the status of same-gender content, please post.

If you have friends, family, roommates &c. who also play SWTOR and have been making affirming, supportive comments when you go off on this subject, and they have not posted to the Q&A and would post if it means that you may actually shut up about it, please ask them if they would do so.

That's the count for Monday. I have an email to write to my sister.

Edited by Uluain

I am telling all this to illustrate a couple of points:

One, those who think that same-gender content only appeals to the (presumably miniscule) LGBT player base, or to the (potentially much larger) young, straight, male players who want to see two female toons getting it on are, in fact, mistaken. There are all kinds of people - even straight, married, church-attending, minivan-driving moms - who support this content and want to see it implemented.

Two - and bringing it back to the post I have quoted above, we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by keeping this issue visible and talking about it. There are people who have not known anything about BioWare's commitment to same-gender content (my sister does not read forums, so the whole fracas during pre-release escaped her notice) and many of them are supportive.

On the theory that one catches more flies with honey than with vinegar, I think it is important to stay on a positive level. As someone deeply invested in this issue, I also know that can be more easy to say than to do. So, those are my thoughts for Monday afternoon. I'll be back with the Q&A update, shortly.

Exactly. I fit into the larger demographic in point 1 - young, straight and male. But I don't

want SGRAs because I want to see female-on-female action. I would like them to implement them because to me I believe it would enhance the story and make it more realistic. I'm sure my fiancée, if she played, would agree as well for that matter. I mean, as I said I would love to be able to romance Malavai Quinn with my male Juggernaut. Why? Because Quinn, by virtue of the story, looks up to him and the respect is reciprocated by my character. It's a good basis for a relationship, and I would like to develop it further.

And yes, there really is nothing to lose by keeping this issue active. Yes, people are going to be snarky at times. People are going to ignore what you're all saying. But eventually, something will happen and somebody out there will have to take notice. I can't guarantee how long it would take, but given the constructive way you have conducted yourselves throughout this issue, you'll get more supporters like myself who think this is an excellent cause to support.

Anyway, add another post to the Community Q&A. I just edited my original post asking about Community Reps to asking about SGRAs.

Edited by Ravenstormer

I posted in the thread. I'm not going to let this go either, they promised and so must deliver. That is all.

I just saw your post! Woot! Thank you!

And there were two more posts about SGRA's after yours on the same page. I can't thank everyone enough for all the awesome support.

It has made my day. :)

EDIT: Um, or on the very next page after yours! I thought they were on the same page. Maybe something got edited. Whatevs. There are still two more posts following yours, that's the important thing. Well, that, and my need for an eye examination....

Edited by mrcaptainpants

So I've been playing my smuggler (female of course :cool: ) and have, during the class quest

just come across a sith woman who actually propositioned her.

Her words were (as close as I can remember) 'you get me what I want and you can have the pleasure of my company - unless it's something more material you're after'. If THAT's not a come-on I don't know what is (I'm not that much out of practice ;) )

Oh how Captain Cayle wanted to take her up on the offer, or at least flirt back, but of course the game wouldn't let her.

This one instance plus many other documented in this and the previous threads, still make me believe that the bulk of the content is already in place, or was at least worked on before someone put the kibosh on the whole thing (I'm inclined to lean more towards Lucas on this, EA and Bioware Edmonton's history and all that).

Also wanted to say that as for the love-triangle scenarios, some of that is already in game I believe - Kaliyo and Temple with the Imperial Agent for a start make the male pc choose, so some dialogues are pretty much ready. At least some of the ground work is apparently there.

And um, yeah, wanted to say more with more words and all that but it's my bedtiime and the old squishy brain is shutting down:p

Night night guys and gals, keep up the good work while we Brits get some shut-eye:D

actually there is similar a few times with My Sentinel. After shooting down Doc 2,00000000000000000000000000000 times over the time I got him to my point with him at 50 he seems to have learned a lesson, he made some comment about booting kira and rusk and going out and bringing on some Zeltrons and such...was pretty funny.

Exactly. I fit into the larger demographic in point 1 - young, straight and male. But I don't want SGRAs because I want to see female-on-female action. I would like them to implement them because to me I believe it would enhance the story and make it more realistic.

Wholly agreed. If all I wanted was to read a same-gender love story, well, I'm already on the internet, such things are just a click or two away. :D This is about our characters' stories, and having our characters be either straight or asexual is really limiting. It's also part of why I'm pushing for SGRs to be implemented with the current companions, as it doesn't seem right that characters who aren't straight should have to wait so long for a romance.

Anyway, add another post to the Community Q&A. I just edited my original post asking about Community Reps to asking about SGRAs.

I posted in the thread. I'm not going to let this go either, they promised and so must deliver. That is all.

What has four thumbs and is awesome? You guys. :D Thanks for the added support, really appreciate it.

Hurry up and add this crap or i'm gonna cancel i have not played for 2 months because of this junk. i want to use my lightsaber on my girl, if you know what i mean. and for the people who say they don't care about this obviously don't like lesbians or are too busy dressing up there dudes. oh and btw no new toons i want to sex up the one chick, watcher two or the blue twi'lek. tyvm ;)