Complete failure on talent trees.

DigitalDreamz

So just going around Torhead and looking at each classes trees, messing around and trying different builds it's apparent that some talents are beyond useless and others are so damn boring that putting in points is very underwhelming.

Go to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc and try some yourself. Leveling has always been fun because not only do you get new skills but also new points to uncover new power in your tree. Not here though.

Here are some examples:

Bounty Hunter (PowerTech):

Power Armor: Reduces all damage taken by 2%.

...and that's it. LOL a whopping 2%! Four years of development time and you have this...:(

Intimidation: Increases damage done by all fire effects by 2% per point. (3 points max)

Rail Loaders: Increases damage done by Rail Shot by 2% per point. (3 points max)

Steely Resolve: Increases Aim by 3%. (3 points max).

Rebraced Armor: Increase armor rating by 8%. (2 points max)

Every class and all their trees have this. It couldn't be more bland, boring and unimaginative. Why didn't you go all out with these talents? It's 2012, there are plenty of MMOs who have this structure why'd you decide to use it and make it even MORE boring? Your talent trees can be summed up as such:

Reduces/increases by 'x' percent (with the occasional) cannot be triggered more than once every 'y' seconds.

Are you guys seriously not that creative? Can you not come up, in four years mind you with fun, interesting and exciting talents? How about:

Power Armor: Upon taking damage has a chance to reflect an attack directly back at the attacker.

Intimidation: If a target engulfed with your fire effect comes within 5 meters of a friendly target, the friendly target will become engulfed in your fire effect.

This just screams awesome, fun and original. Not hard to come up with this stuff. I'm doing it while eating Cheetos with my other hand. Here another one for you:

Rail Loaders: If your Rail Shot crits it'll disarm the target for 2 seconds.

This can be done with every class. Basically what I'm saying is these talent trees are about as inspiring as a dead moth. Every class could have had that "Whoa that's bada**!" But instead we are left with this percentage based bland gray tree. Did you really think that the VOs were going to be enough to carry your title? I think you're going to be sadly mistaken. If you ever get another shot at MMOs due try to learn from your mistakes.

lol boring talents? you obviously don't raid or tank 2% damage reduction or 3% - 8% boosts on some skills over 20 minutes of pvp adds up and even longer over a raid night.

they aren't going to give you "IMMOLATION OF ELDER GODS WRATH" each talent tree tier sorry. i'm sorry you're unhappy with the way the trees are laid out because you want something named "awesomeness tier 1" for each thing.

oh and yes i play a bounty hunter :p

From the sounds of it, the only thing that would make you happy would be to have your skills/abilities come from the talent tree, which wouldnt really allow for customization at all.

I can't really think of any other alternative.

AND I think every class already does gain a few abilities this way.

I think they are fine, unless you want to go with a totally different system, closer to fallout. Devs probably considered different ways to do it. This way is fine.

Furthermore,... yeah... extended durations on abilities, .. +2% ect on damage,.. all those things are exciting enough for me.

All those talents have been done before, actually done into the ground. With talents like that why have talents at all? Just give us those passive numbers because as so many have pointed out they are obviously essential but nothing 'fun' about them.

Sheeesh some of you guys are pretty weird. You find 2% increases fun?!

So just going around Torhead and looking at each classes trees, messing around and trying different builds it's apparent that some talents are beyond useless and others are so damn boring that putting in points is very underwhelming.

Go to http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc and try some yourself. Leveling has always been fun because not only do you get new skills but also new points to uncover new power in your tree. Not here though.

Here are some examples:

Bounty Hunter (PowerTech):

Power Armor: Reduces all damage taken by 2%.

...and that's it. LOL a whopping 2%! Four years of development time and you have this...:(

Intimidation: Increases damage done by all fire effects by 2% per point. (3 points max)

Rail Loaders: Increases damage done by Rail Shot by 2% per point. (3 points max)

Steely Resolve: Increases Aim by 3%. (3 points max).

Rebraced Armor: Increase armor rating by 8%. (2 points max)

Every class and all their trees have this. It couldn't be more bland, boring and unimaginative. Why didn't you go all out with these talents? It's 2012, there are plenty of MMOs who have this structure why'd you decide to use it and make it even MORE boring? Your talent trees can be summed up as such:

Reduces/increases by 'x' percent (with the occasional) cannot be triggered more than once every 'y' seconds.

Are you guys seriously not that creative? Can you not come up, in four years mind you with fun, interesting and exciting talents? How about:

Power Armor: Upon taking damage has a chance to reflect an attack directly back at the attacker.

Intimidation: If a target engulfed with your fire effect comes within 5 meters of a friendly target, the friendly target will become engulfed in your fire effect.

This just screams awesome, fun and original. Not hard to come up with this stuff. I'm doing it while eating Cheetos with my other hand. Here another one for you:

Rail Loaders: If your Rail Shot crits it'll disarm the target for 2 seconds.

This can be done with every class. Basically what I'm saying is these talent trees are about as inspiring as a dead moth. Every class could have had that "Whoa that's bada**!" But instead we are left with this percentage based bland gray tree. Did you really think that the VOs were going to be enough to carry your title? I think you're going to be sadly mistaken. If you ever get another shot at MMOs due try to learn from your mistakes.

great post!

lolololol

I'm guessing you never saw the old talent trees for WoW....especially if you think those are useless talents.

All those talents have been done before, actually done into the ground. With talents like that why have talents at all? Just give us those passive numbers because as so many have pointed out they are obviously essential but nothing 'fun' about them.

Talent trees aren't supposed to be big boosts or splashy, they give small passive benefits that help you play and customize your characters abilities.

Edited by terminova

Those talents have to be incremental changes as otherwise people would complain that they are underpowered because they can't pick all talents. The incremental talents are basically optionals that help overall.

While it would be good to enforce choice & consequence by making each talent individually important, it is pretty obvious these days that the average player doesn't want to take responsibility for their own choices. Just look at all the Adv class reset complaints.

I am guessing you just want talents that will allow you to steamroll everything without taking any damage. Guess this isn't the game for you then.

You guessed wrong. Do us all a favor and next time stay away from guessing. I'd like talents that are somewhat fun to look forward to putting points in no matter what class.

I've herd this argument before from a guy called Ghostcrawler, you'd like him he's a dev on a fun little game with pandas in it that's going to have the talent trees you'd prefer.