What Effect Did Star Wars: The Old Republic’s Launch Have on World of Warcraft?

Chromiie

Doooooooomeeed

I concur. ToR is the future, WoW is going down. I personally left not because it's a bad MMO, I had just seen all it had to offer. As a hardcore PvE raider, every new boss fight was a combination of several boss mechanics from previous bosses. ToR offers a fresh take on raiding. My only complaint is in fact that Ops bosses are more or less tank and spank and HM and NM don't offer new mechanics, just a health/damage increase.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur. ToR is the future, WoW is going down. I personally left not because it's a bad MMO, I had just seen all it had to offer. As a hardcore PvE raider, every new boss fight was a combination of several boss mechanics from previous bosses. ToR offers a fresh take on raiding. My only complaint is in fact that Ops bosses are more or less tank and spank and HM and NM don't offer new mechanics, just a health/damage increase.

My guess is they used this tier for two things:

An introduction to raiding on Normal and Hard Mode Tiers for new players (Normal for the Puggers and Hard Mode for the raiders.) Lets face it. Normal = LFR in WoW and Hard mode = Normal in WoW.

A benchmark for Nightmare and to a lesser extend hard mode that they will begin to follow in tiers after. An MMO will typically take its first tier as a tester to see how they make following tiers, especially when the MMO is trying to bring new players into the fold much like this one did.

Not much difference ....... except mine had a lot better graphics

Except mine was an original concept from Blizzard and not some Jack Black movie or troll attempt. Mine also was the number 1 race asked for by far...Not my fault the thought of rolling a Bear Drinking, Food loving, Pandaren for some reason hurts some kid's manhood...but this isn't the place for that discussion.

I went for the free Diablo 3 deal. Besides, we weren't about to give up on a guild 7 years in the making, with two weekly raids going strong.

On the other hand, I log into wow only to raid these days...the rest of my game time is being taken up by ToR at the moment :)

Not my fault the thought of rolling a Bear Drinking, Food loving, Pandaren for some reason hurts some kid's manhood...but this isn't the place for that discussion.

I love kung fu panda ...... own both movies and my 5 year old has all the toys.

If you have dreams of playing Po ...... by all means go play.

Blizard say WoW makes 1 billion in revenue a year? So how do you get 10mil subs making only 1 billion in a year?

10 billion in revenue ($15 a month x 12 months) is around 5mil subs....ah the asian millions don't contribute much at all?

Ok so TOR's 1.7mil is up againt WoW's 5mil atm. Not a bad result imo :p

Oh yeah Blizzard does not have to pay taxes and wages. Because its run by goblins?

:rolleyes:

Nah, I have dreams of following in Chen's Footsteps and being a Brewmaster.

Oh yeah Blizzard does not have to pay taxes and wages. Because its run by goblins?

It is a known fact that Asian players which constitute most of their subs play by the minute to play also. Keep that in mind.

Edited by Mormack

Except Drunken master was introduced at least 5-6 years before Kung Fu Panda was even released...

So if Blizzard is copying anyone, they're copying themselves.

Honestly they probably dont, they will bank offshore or have some deal with whichever goverment they are registered with so they will pay only a tiny fraction in tax. Only the poor pay taxes.

Honestly they probably dont, they will bank offshore or have some deal with whichever goverment they are registered with so they will pay only a tiny fraction in tax. Only the poor pay taxes.

lets not forget all the charity stuff they do that's tax deductible.

It is a known fact that Asian players which constitute most of their subs play by the minute to play also. Keep that in mind.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of money they make from server transfers, faction changes, the stupid mounts and all other crap you can buy with real money.

I left WoW because the dev team got lazy. 8months to a year for a 7 or 8 boss patch with terrible gear itemization? Complete lack of PvE balance 8 years into the game? A possible Ilvl squish? Hard mode balance that goes easy-easy-easy-easy-medium-medium-BRICK WALL?

The game is a shell of its former self.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of money they make from server transfers, faction changes, the stupid mounts and all other crap you can buy with real money.

I think they point we're all trying to bring across is that there are too many Variables to really be sure one way or another.

I left WoW because the dev team got lazy. 8months to a year for a 7 or 8 boss patch with terrible gear itemization? Complete lack of PvE balance 8 years into the game? A possible Ilvl squish? Hard mode balance that goes easy-easy-easy-easy-medium-medium-BRICK WALL?

The game is a shell of its former self.

I personally hope they do the Squish....It'll be nice to go back to those numbers.

Edited by Mormack

hmm....I fail to understand why as players we should even care about this sort of stuff?

Even the CEO of BW will be looking at the books and saying either that the numbers are good enough to be making a profit soon or bad and people need to get fired.

But whether it is beating WOW is irrelevant, a nice publicity bonus but ultimately they won't be looking to beat WOW.

Why? - another poster already said in this thread. "Invested 7 years in WOW so not going to give up on it". That is the unfortunate and sad attitude of a lot of WOW players. Most have seen and done everything WOW has to offer, they've killed the heroic bosses 50 times over, but because they have invested that much time in the game, they won't leave. They login-raid-logout most of the time..that's it.

Most of these players and ex-players have realised that the time spent isn't invested afterall, it is in fact(as all games are) a waste of time, a release from reality , that's it. But now they are 7 years older, TOR is new, they want to play, but in the back of their heads they know what WOW did for their social lives...i.e. robbed them of it, and they don't want to make the same mistake twice.

A lot of the "I quit" posts, or "I'm going back" posts are indicators of this. They need a reason not to waste any more of their lives, so moaning about petty or unrealistic things and seeking approval from the community gives then exactly that.

But ultimatly, WOW is and has been a freak occurrance, you won't see it's like again, at least not for a long time. The players of WOW will not waste another 7 years on another MMO. They know there is a real world and really have decided they need to meet these things called girls and maybe try and engage one in conversation :)

But, to get back on track, whether WOW losses subs or not to TOR should not really be of concern to TOR players. Your only concern should be is there enough players here so I can play and is there enough money going to EA so they can keep releasing content. If the answer is yes, then whether the figure is 1m or 100m players, you get to keep playing the game and they keep giving you content.

Happy gaming.

P.S. and if you do care about WOW losing subs, then you're on the wrong forum so please leave. Battlenet is that way --->

I have an open WoW account. I think the last time I played myself is more than a year ago and only for a few days (my attention span for that game grew very short over the years).

My son sometimes plays on the account, but the reason it's still open is because I wanted to buy Diablo III and my son wants to try the panda's. Anyway Diablo III will never replace a MMO for me.

1)To repeat myself again, Asians are Human beings, and there are very hardcore guilds in Taiwan and Korea. An Asian sub does count as a sub.

2)I can't help but chuckle each time someone lambast Blizzard creativity on the forum of a licensed game. I mean, let's repeat this slowly. You laugh about Blizzard ripping off of asian movies in a game titled Star Wars ?

Edited by Angedechu

1)To repeat myself again, Asians are Human beings, and there are very hardcore guilds in Taiwan and Korea. An Asian sub does count as a sub.

2)I can't help but chuckle each time someone lambast Blizzard creativity on the forum of a licensed game. I mean, let's repeat this slowly. You laugh about Blizzard ripping off of asian movies in a game titled Star Wars ?

It's no different than people complaining about Wu Kong and saying he was a rip off of fkn Goku from DBZ(which Goku from DBZ was from fkn legends that dated that character by who knows how long). And then the same crap with Ahri being a rip off of Pokemon and Naruto.

I'm sure the list is a heck of a lot longer than that though.