In Biowares Perfect World Only Range Gets Invites

DarthNorik

So Bioware has stated they want all DPS to do the same amount of damage. That's perfectly fine if every class has the exact same amount of survivability and utility. And ofcourse if the mechanics of an encounter are balanced for melee and ranged classes.

Sadly, that is not the case. Currently the only melee DPS that should get an invite to an OPS is a marauder/sentinel thanks to the great utility they bring. I'm a pretty patient guy Bioware, if you just say your aware of this issue and plan on giving more utility or damage to glass cannons such as assassins/shadows, and more sustained damage to operatives/scoundrels, then I will be more than content. But as it is I see no reason why every DPS sans 1 marauder/sentinel is not a sniper/gunslinger, mercenary/commando, or sorcerer/sage.

Edited by DarthNorik

I have had several instances where a group wants dps, we get into the instance and they see that Im not a full tank (maurader) and they boot me out of the group!!

maurader should be dishing out way more DPS, since their medium armor makes them squishy. Things are unabalanced and yes range is ruler of this game right now, and it makes me really hesitate to play any pvp, which is all thats left once you are 50. Very close to unsubbing, this isnt a threat, but a choice.

So Bioware has stated they want all DPS to do the same amount of damage. That's perfectly fine if every class has the exact same amount of survivability and utility. And ofcourse if the mechanics of an encounter are balanced for melee and ranged classes.

Sadly, that is not the case. Currently the only melee DPS that should get an invite to an OPS is a marauder/sentinel thanks to the great utility they bring. I'm a pretty patient guy Bioware, if you just say your aware of this issue and plan on giving more utility or damage to glass cannons such as assassins/shadows, and more sustained damage to operatives/scoundrels, then I will be more than content. But as it is I see no reason why every DPS sans 1 marauder/sentinel is not a sniper/gunslinger, mercenary/commando, or sorcerer/sage.

Well, at least those two classes can currently tank/heal. So, you still have a valid reason into a group. If the Marauder/Sentinel didn't have some type of advantage, they'd never get an invite.

Well, at least those two classes can currently tank/heal. So, you still have a valid reason into a group. If the Marauder/Sentinel didn't have some type of advantage, they'd never get an invite.

You don't invite a melee operative to heal anyone. They can't even help offheal without crippling their DPS. It's too slow and too expensive.

You don't invite a melee operative to heal anyone. They can't even help offheal without crippling their DPS. It's too slow and too expensive.

I guess he means those classes assassins, operatives have trees that make them Operation viable. Like the assassin can go tank and an operative can go healer in order to get a spot in a group.

I guess he means those classes assassins, operatives have trees that make them Operation viable. Like the assassin can go tank and an operative can go healer in order to get a spot in a group.

And that's a bogus argument. If you need a healer, you need a healer. If you need a DPS, you need a DPS. Marauders don't WANT to be able to tank, or they wouldn't have rolled marauders, so it's no penalty that they can't. It's like an operative complaining that he can't tank. Senseless.

And that's a bogus argument. If you need a healer, you need a healer. If you need a DPS, you need a DPS. Marauders don't WANT to be able to tank, or they wouldn't have rolled marauders, so it's no penalty that they can't. It's like an operative complaining that he can't tank. Senseless.

I know, which is why Bioware needs to change this. Melee DPS is not valued right now and I think all melee DPS besides powertechs/vanguards need a buff in either damage or utility.

I know, which is why Bioware needs to change this. Melee DPS is not valued right now and I think all melee DPS besides powertechs/vanguards need a buff in either damage or utility.

Or Bioware needs to quit being stupid and stop making operations/flashpoint bosses with lots of PBAE damage.

Sentinel has a fair bit of utility but I wouldn't say it's great. We don't even have a CC or a push. Just a bunch of interrupts, stasis (one of the interrupts which immoblizes us too) and an AOE stun. And Force Leap is only useful as an interrupt if you are watchman spec because otherwise it's got a minimum distance of 10 meters. I can see having sentinel to interrupt being useful but that hardly makes them great. In fact if you have a focus sentinel in your group he will be gimped if you use CC because his main attack and most of his dps is AOE. So he's stuck not using sweep or he has always make sure he's far enough away from the CC'd mob.

Edited by JerokTalram

if you just say your aware of this issue and plan on giving more utility or damage to glass cannons such as assassins/shadows

The other day I was doing Directive 7 as a Balance Shadow and our main tank went down during the first boss rather quickly (a healing error). I immediately switched to Combat Technique, used Mass Mind Control, and continued to tank the rest of it while standing on top of my tank's corpse. I don't seem to have the same issue that you do.

Also, I find the ranged classes to be superior by nature. They have more flexibility, so I prefer them. If you're not getting picked up by groups because of your class, then you need to stop hanging around those ******s anyway.

The other day I was doing Directive 7 as a Balance Shadow and our main tank went down during the first boss rather quickly (a healing error). I immediately switched to Combat Technique, used Mass Mind Control, and continued to tank the rest of it while standing on top of my tank's corpse. I don't seem to have the same issue that you do.

Also, I find the ranged classes to be superior by nature. They have more flexibility, so I prefer them. If you're not getting picked up by groups because of your class, then you need to stop hanging around those ******s anyway.

Thats fine and dandy but that won't fly in an operation. And even that quick tanking was just nerfed for some unknown reason. And no class should be superior, melee is less flexible so it should do more damage to make up for that.

I'm not talking about your DPS. I'm saying that at least you can respec into healing to get into groups. DPS is all the Marauder has.

I'm not talking about your DPS. I'm saying that at least you can respec into healing to get into groups. DPS is all the Marauder has.

Thats true, which I understand why Bioware gave marauders all the nice group utility. Now they just need to fix the rest of the melee classes.

funny how op healing is just as out classed healing ,as it is as a melee dps.

Most new MMOs dont get balance right till they have been out for a year and by then a new expansion is out and its messed up all over again. BW does have a handful with this game. At least with 100% mirrored classes it could take them less time.

accept they aren't 100% mirrored and no other mmo that I have played anyway is so ranged focused. Just tell the truth, BW didn't think things through! There, wasn't so hard.

WOW: Ranged DPS preferred always... How many times did you see LFG no DPS Warriors, Rettadins, and especially Rogues.

Rift: Melee DPS is a joketastic AOE fest. Needless to say you're toast if you melee DPS in Rift due to every boss having MEGA AOE damage.

Etc...

Until they figure out a way for melee DPS to not get roflstomped by AOE it'll be this way.

Imagine how I feel...2 50s sent and shadow LOL. I really picked winners! Good news is its easy to level toons. I have my conspiracy theory that this is BW way too limit the number of jedi and sith in the Universe but then they made sorcs and sages so who knows lol.

Bioware tried way too hard to make WoW 2.0... and they got it. WoW has ALWAYS had a problem balancing melee vs. ranged in PvE. Why? Because they have a big donging ***** for PBAOE CC and damage. That makes melees less desirable. Since if WoW did it, Bioware has to do it, Bioware always has a huge woody for PBAOE CC and damage. Next expansion we're going to have pandas.

Yes this game is completely biased on Ranged DPS, if you'll notice in Kragga's Palace, Bonethrasher is best done with Ranged DPS on the edges killing him all at once rather than all the melee's getting swiped and damaged at the same time while trying to keep up with his random agro. Then there's the puzzle fight a few bosses later where if a Melee DPS walks into range of hitting the probes they take major dmg. Also on that fight Ranged DPS is much easier to hit the boss from the ledges. SOA is also another part of it, since they can easily hit up the Mind Traps while melee have to run to them. So you HAVE to have a heavy Ranged DPS raid to do them efficiently. Its soooo stupid and annoying and very biased.

Players should be able to play as they wish and not be forced into a specific role just because that is the only way for them to get a group.