How is the AH interface bad?

ZDProletariat

the interface is alright, it's the fact you cannot use the search field unless you first use the pulldown menu's.

and you cannot place bids on anything, so it's not an actual "auction" hall. it is simply a message board with "buy it" or "don't buy it".

and what the other's above said about searching for specific gear slots like "boots'.

Edited by Gilbara

It has no search function, no way to type (or even better, click) on an item and run a search for it to see if it's available and what price it is going for.

Instead you must enter in all kinds of information about the item you are looking for which you may not even know (such as what gathering profession it is related to).

For a view of what a good Trade Network looks like, see WoW. I hate WoW fanbois with a passion (one of the reasons I left that game, in fact), but you have to admit that their interface is polished to perfection.

The search function for the AH is really terrible.

This.

If i want to search only for chest pieces, light armour, blue or better or even for things with a specific name, it's a major hassle and in some cases can't be done. What if I want to find only gloves that have a "+ die to Imperial scum" buff on them? Can't find that either (let alone something real like just +willpower/str/end etc").

Too much work to get the results you're looking for.

Tell you what - next time you go to buy something online (from Amazon for example), count the number of actions you make that you can't do on the GTN.

The apparent level of tech is decades ahead of us, but they can't even run a basic shopping mall?

LOL

and you cannot place bids on anything, so it's not an actual "auction" hall. it is simply a message board with "buy it" or "don't buy it".

I'm actually fine with this. I never bid on things in AHs in other games, only buyout. When the auction is 2 days, there's no point committing my funds to MAYBE buy something that I'll outlevel before the auction is over.

The lack of Search by Slot is a big problem though.

Edited by VorpalK

For a view of what a good Trade Network looks like, see WoW. I hate WoW fanbois with a passion (one of the reasons I left that game, in fact), but you have to admit that their interface is polished to perfection.

I wouldn't go that far.

Their stock interface is very nice and I would love a lot of the stuff from the basic AH UI to come here.

But for it to be perfection?

I wouldn't need all the mods I do to make buying and selling a lot easier.

My main gripes:

* no free text search (at least not prior to categorization... but I usually don't know which category I want )

* no by-slot organization (boots vs chest)

* filtering by rarity does not rank orange/moddable gear separately, which means finding all of the moddable gear available requires scanning thru every... single... page...

It's not awful, and is certainly adequate and usable. But it's far from impressive or even particularly good.

I keep hearing people whine about it. What's your problem, exactly? Please explain it to somebody who hasn't had a problem with it at all.

They need to add the ability to search by stats and also search by piece. I don't want to wade through a bunch of STR items or even AIM Chest, boots, gloves when I'm specifically looking for an AIM helm.

I wouldn't go that far.

Their stock interface is very nice and I would love a lot of the stuff from the basic AH UI to come here.

But for it to be perfection?

I wouldn't need all the mods I do to make buying and selling a lot easier.

And that there's the point.

Having thousands of people creating add-ons gets you where you want to be WAY more effectively than giving some overworked in-house programming team yet another low-priority job.

WoW without add-ons is nothing special really, but with add-ons it becomes your personally-tailored interface.

I have to agree with pretty much all the complaints about the lackluster (or in some cases, nonexistant) search features on the AH.

Oddly enough, the single thing I find the MOST annoying is that after I finally make all the required selections to find the giant list of armor items (as an example), then start paging through to see if I can find a decent pair of boots (or whatever), if a companion comes back from a mission, IT BOOTS ME OUT OF THE AH. So I get to enter it all over again.

Papa

Scenario 1

Imagine you're a level 25ish player and just got yourself a nice drop, and want to see how many of them are up on the GTN, and how much you might be able to get for one compared to vendoring it. It's called a "Battle Instructor Leggings", and is a level 25 orange item.

Can you go to a GTN terminal and type in "Battle Instructor Leggings" to find them? No.

Fine, so you look at the item again, determine that it's an Armor, but picking that in the interface still doesn't let you search it by name. If you enter the subtype Medium Armor, then proceed to the next option, you'll find that there are grey/white/green/blue/pink/purple settings for Rarity, but no orange. Huh?

It turns out that unless you already have a fairly thorough understanding of the game mechanics, you actually can't find what you're looking for (the item is blue because its Armoring slot mod is blue). Situations like this constitute a huge failure case for a large number of potential GTN users. It shouldn't take a level 50 character and 100 hours of gameplay to AH a simple drop without fear of getting ripped off.

Yes, you can get around the issue above by selecting Any then searching. You could probably figure it out, and so could I, but that doesn't make it a good design. The interface feels about as usable as Yahoo! circa 1995, back when the site was trying to organize itself like the phone book yellow pages.

Scenario 2

Now let's look at a max level player who's looking for some nice companion gifts. There isn't even a category for those, much less one sub-sorted by gift level or type (luxury, courting, and so on). They're all lumped under Miscellaneous, with no filtering available except by item name. So if you don't already know what the Rank 5 blue Trophy companion gift is called off the top of your head... be ready to spend a while searching.

Side note

Then there's stack splitting, not technically part of the GTN, but a basic necessity for any crafting material sales. I can't think of any other interface in modern gaming that requires you to hold shift and rightdrag the cursor out of the current inventory cell (the item itself doesn't even move) before offering you the split stack dialog. Half the people reading this probably just learned something new - it's that obscure.

I agree we need to go deeper (chest heavy armor instead of ALL heavy armor). And maybe a direct search. Other than that I love this AH.

One thing this AH does that I LOVE (now that it is working) is the usable by drop down. Not only will it cap the levels for you, but it will give you a list of items that only the select person can wear.

It's badly needs sort by slot (chest, legs, etc)

It also needs to sort items by their base color/rarity type, not by their mods. For example, if you're only looking for orange (moddable) armor, it's actually listed by rarity based on the mods it has in it. Blue-level mods will list it under Blue, for example. It wouldn't be so bad if you could also sort by type, but if you're looking for orange belts you'll have to go through every single page in the listings unless you happen to know the name of the item you are looking for.

It's not streamlined at all for search/criteria/sorting, for one thing.

I wish I had pictures of the EQ2 market UI. Probably one of the better ones out there that I can remember off the top of my head.

Edited by Scar

I keep hearing people whine about it. What's your problem, exactly? Please explain it to somebody who hasn't had a problem with it at all.

Someone doesn't understand how a table of contents, nor an index works and why such a thing would be valuable.

steps to find a specific item at the GTN in SWTOR:

1) click dropdown list category and find the category

2) click category

3) click dropdown list subcategory and find subcategory

4) click subcategory

5) click search

6) click searchbox

7) type part of name

8) [enter] or click search

/sarcasm on

9) realize that you choosed the wrong subcategory

10) start over from point 3)

/sarcam off

steps to find something at 'standard' mmo auctionhouses/trade functionality/onlineshops

1) click searchbox

2) type part of name

3) [enter] or click search

I'd say the biggest problem is not having armor separated into categories pertaining to type. It's so frustrating having to sift through 1,000 useless Aim/End helms to find the Cun/End greaves I was looking for. I also think the default pricing needs to be set to check/calculate the average price of whatever item you're selling and set it there so people have a jump off point..right now I think people are used to that other game doing that and so just leave really expensive items at 4395 or whatever arbitrary number the GTN pukes up.

Very difficult to find a piece of armor. Searching through chest pieces to find boots etc..

No option to search for orange gear separate from blue gear

The usable by feature doesn't work or do anything useful

The search box by name doesn't work unless you use the drop down menus.

Because of the previous flaw, sometimes it is nearly impossible to find an item you are looking for because you can't figure out what category it is in especially if that item may not even be for sale! (is it in here? no.. ok how about here? no... hmm here? no... does it even exist? am I just getting the category wrong?)

Selling items is difficult because you have to alternate between searching and selling to find other items of similarly priced items. While other games are no better, addons were available that added this functionality.

The reset button is too close to the search button which sometimes results in me clearing my search accidentally

Almost impossible to find items based off stats. For example try to find an implant or earpiece with relevant stats considering you do not know the name of it. All of them are grouped together. On my server there was 20 pages of epic implants and none of which were the right stats for my companion. Switching to blues made the problem worse.

Completely unsure of its automatic pricing scheme. I would like to know how it decides to suggest a buyout price.

Pretty sure that pricing scheme doesn't work on some items. For example mission discoveries have the same name despite having different crafting skill levels.

I could keep going...

I'm actually fine with this. I never bid on things in AHs in other games, only buyout. When the auction is 2 days, there's no point committing my funds to MAYBE buy something that I'll outlevel before the auction is over.

The lack of Search by Slot is a big problem though.

I always find it funny when people say things like these. "I never do pvp, but Im fine with the latest changes to pvp." Its really silly and ignorant.