[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I dont understand why this thread has died down?

The character textures may have been revamped, but the rest of the textures are disgraceful.

The textures on old games like KOTR 1 & 2 where better than this.

for instance the fact that most surfaces of rocks, etc look smooth.

The graphics on this game are shocking.

• 2 weeks later...
I am not seeing notable improvement. How can Age of Conan still look better and it is 4 years old? Something needs to be done, I don't have a $3,000.00 computer to play an MMO that looks worse than one 4 years old. I really want to keep playing SWTOR, but there needs to be some effort with the eye candy. I think that considering the precedents set by other MMOs with high res graphics the 'it's an MMO that's why it doesn't have awesome graphics" excuse does not fly in 2012. I sincerely hope EA/Bioware pay attention and revamp the graphics so I don't feel like I'm a slightly vibrant cartoon.:o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wish they used HD textures and dx11 support *some times it gives you the idea of dx8-9 most of the times. Rocks, metals, grass, terrains (not all terrains), look like blury polygons... I also like the mass effect series, character customization and character skin and faces, they could give more options to that to!!! I am a new player, but I love mass effect and I ve seen some things, that mass effect had, in swtor!! I like that..

eg. companions, romance, spaceship, the way companions act... Its very familiar. (at least) And I like it alot...

In other games with open worlds (not mmos though), eg skyrim... I use 4k ress textures from nexus, 8 gigs of them... The game looks fantastic and I have 45-60 fps...

I would gently suggest, to give us more options with the draw distance, Its not only the grass that bugs alot... But also if a player, NPC, etc... Is outside the draw distance, it goes like 10 fps...!!! Have you seen that? It is easyly noticeable with flying objects in the distance. I spend about 5 minutes on planet belsaris, watching a flying alien species circling the area... When it comes inside the draw area, it soooo smooth and nice and the oposite when it goes away. (animation)

Maybe with the new expansion that is comming out soon, they will improve some things.

I know that its not the game engine fault about the textures, as the animation system is brilliant! Also smoke and objects I love the animations in swtor, especially the clothing animations. They gave lots of point to detail!.. But they, restricted it!

I wonder why... because of people who dont have brand new pc? They could give options through the preferences, for those who have better specs and those who dont.

Edited by Oyranos

I wish they used HD textures and dx11 support *some times it gives you the idea of dx8-9 most of the times. Rocks, metals, grass, terrains (not all terrains), look like blury polygons... I also like the mass effect series, character customization and character skin and faces, they could give more options to that to!!! I am a new player, but I love mass effect and I ve seen some things, that mass effect had, in swtor!! I like that..

eg. companions, romance, spaceship, the way companions act... Its very familiar. (at least) And I like it alot...

In other games with open worlds (not mmos though), eg skyrim... I use 4k ress textures from nexus, 8 gigs of them... The game looks fantastic and I have 45-60 fps...

I would gently suggest, to give us more options with the draw distance, Its not only the grass that bugs alot... But also if a player, NPC, etc... Is outside the draw distance, it goes like 10 fps...!!! Have you seen that? It is easyly noticeable with flying objects in the distance.

Also better textures. I am not going to speak about competition,, its something that must be done. After all there is no excuse.. Swtor is a brand new mmo.. Maybe with the new expansion that is comming out soon, they will improve some things.

I know that its not the game engine fault about the textures, as the animation system is brilliant! Also smoke and objects I love the animations in swtor, especially the clothing animations. They gave lots of point to detail!.. But they, restricted it!

I wonder why... because of people who dont have brand new pc? They could give options through the preferences, for those who have better specs and those who dont.

You mean like Rift does? :rolleyes: The only graphic display in the game TOR beats Rift is the up close textures of the player's char's face. The rest, Rift blows TOR out of the water.

Never played rift... And I normally play 1 mmo...Eg.. I played from day 1, world of warcraft... I quitted about 1 year now!!!!!!!! The last couple of years before I quit, I was trying to play, I was extraordinary bored... And I quitted..

Right now, competition is becoming more interesting... I will play swtor and guild wars 2... because gw2 is f2p... And you dont consider subscriptions.... I am not an mmo expert, but I know what I want from an mmo... Trying to find it though!! Either ways.. I am not 50 level yet in swtor and the new expansion is coming up...

Also through suggestions trying to give my ideas for more content, even if its radical... :) mmos need innovations after all..

The keys of star wars are, diplomacy, alliances, war and durty war…. So we need ideas and innovations in these 3 things between players… world events, alliances between players and war… Personaly I dont care about vendors with legendary items.. I dont care about them! I am preparing more ideas soon for the suggestion box, but I wonder, if the developers, ever read them.. lol

ps: new mmos use superior textures from wow-rift-swtor... If someone got new generation graphic cards dx11 and not low end chipsets, but something like gtx570 - 670 - 680... I believe they can run 2 x swtors with 1080p textures at the same time and from the same computer.... The lag spikes that we experience in republic fleet even now with the low textures, etc.. has nothing to do with the textures at all. It is many other things,,, server capacity, internet connection and game development... I may remind you skyrim with so many and huge fps drops in specific spots and areas... But they addressed this problems after few months and now the game runs smooth... it could be something like that also.. the cells of the game world.. (nothing to do with the textures).. And I cannot understand the limitation they did with the draw distanse.. it also reflects the fps in the distant moving characters, the fps in the distant objects/characters drops dramatically..

they have to address (roll back) this things..

Edited by Oyranos

• 9 months later...
With the 'graphical improvements' comment about the upcoming patch release, it looks like we might finally get the HD texture option back!

They didn't go anywhere, they just renamed and reshuffled the options. The current highest texture detail setting is the same as the highest setting from launch.

Adding more graphical bells and whistles seems silly when makeb runs like crap, and the client has a fit with 16man+ content.

Adding more graphical bells and whistles seems silly to me when makeb runs like crap for me, and the client throws me fit with 16man+ content.

Fixed that for ya.

Some of us will very much appreciate the added bells and whistles cos we have the rigs that run the game just fine now and can spare some additional muscle to purty it up.

Fixed that for ya.

Some of us will very much appreciate the added bells and whistles cos we have the rigs that run the game just fine now and can spare some additional muscle to purty it up.

Nice troll. Did you ever participate in Illum open world pvp at launch? I don't think you get what I'm talking about. There are some severe limitations to this engine that go beyond throwing more hardware at it client side.

Edited by Marb

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This isn't an issue any more. Any crappy textures you see, assuming you are running on max settings, are just from the textures being crappy by default.

My trooper armor looks great all the time, etc. (Correction, old high end trooper armor. Not the newer stuff. The newer stuff is an example of lower res textures....)

For some odd reason there can be some really good detailed textured armor and weapons, then a lot a poorly textured armor and weapons they add.

I don't get it.

Edited by mecher

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.