The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Left Handed Gamers Unite!

rangerlump

So this question goes out to all Lefties (right brain thinkers out there).

If you are not left handed please hit the "Back" button... kkthx.

Since we are screwed by not having access to the Razer Naga, that most hardcore MMO players use (screw razer for not making a lefty), what are your solutions?

My keyboard real estate is maxed. I find myself reaching farther and farther as I level up because I have no room.

I heard some mention of a Razer mouse called the Deathadder (that they made some lefty versions of), but havent tried it myself.

What are your solutions?

Since we are screwed by not having access to the Razer Naga, that most hardcore MMO players use (screw razer for not making a lefty), what are your solutions?

My keyboard real estate is maxed. I find myself reaching farther and farther as I level up because I have no room.

I heard some mention of a Razer mouse called the Deathadder (that they made some lefty versions of), but havent tried it myself.

What are your solutions?

How about:

Learn to use the mouse with your right hand? Im left handed - I write left handed, throw left handed, eat/drink left handed - the list goes on. When I use the computer however, I use it just like the vast majority of people. WASD/Keyboard using my left hand, and mouse in my right.

Ive never understood the need to switch this up for any reason aside from folks who have an actual physical disability. The only reason i can figure is that some left handers think/thought it would be "trendy" to complain and start using the mouse reversed when they first learned how to operate a computer and now they feel that all software should cater to them.

Im sorry - this just irks me (a minor pet peeve of mine). An analogy I'll use (pertaining to drivers in the US): This is like telling a car manufacturer that they need to allow you to drive from the passenger side of the vehicle so you can use your left hand to control the stick shift because you're unwilling to teach yourself how to use your right hand for that function like the rest of the populous.

Edited by DigitalNikos

What are your solutions?

Just to let you know as the first responce to this says learn to use your right hand to control the mouse and to be honest most left handers that I know and probably I don't know use their right hand when it comes to computers so I am sorry you have little people who will agree with you.

Erm, because I'm far more precise using the mouse in my left hand than i ever would be using my right hand, regardless of practice. It's not a case of just being awkward for the sake of it.

I'm a lefty and the one time I tried using the mouse in my left hand I was much worse with it. It is about getting used to it. The entire time I've used computers I've always used the mouse in my right hand.

Off topic:

My sister on the other hand (also lefty) was the opposite, and back when we had a shared family computer it was really annoying having to switch the mouse around each time.

How about:

Learn to use the mouse with your right hand? Im left handed - I write left handed, throw left handed, eat/drink left handed - the list goes on. When I use the computer however, I use it just like the vast majority of people. WASD/Keyboard using my left hand, and mouse in my right.

Ive never understood the need to switch this up for any reason aside from folks who have an actual physical disability. The only reason i can figure is that some left handers think/thought it would be "trendy" to complain and start using the mouse reversed when they first learned how to operate a computer and now they feel that all software should cater to them.

Im sorry - this just irks me (a minor pet peeve of mine). An analogy I'll use (pertaining to drivers in the US): This is like telling a car manufacturer that they need to allow you to drive from the passenger side of the vehicle so you can use your left hand to control the stick shift because you're unwilling to teach yourself how to use your right hand for that function like the rest of the populous.

Totally agree with this. Short of missing your right arm, there's no reason you can't quickly learn to use a mouse ambidextrously.

How about:

pretty much this. I'm in the same boat, i do everything left handed except my computer stuff.

Totally agree with this. Short of missing your right arm, there's no reason you can't quickly learn to use a mouse ambidextrously.

It's not missing, so much as useless. :p

Anyway, OP:

Buy a razer lachesis, they're not shaped either direction so they're good for either hand. They have 6 extra buttons, rather than the naga's 12.

However I get extra mileage by using the 6 buttons, as well as mouse wheel forward/back. I then use the same binds with ctrl and alt modifiers to increase the amount bound on the mouse.

Edited by Loreki

I'm right handed (sorry) but have used a Razer nostromos and thought it could work wonders for lefties. You could assign the mouse directions to the d-pad and the directional keys to the other assignable keys. Just a thought.

I just make do with mouse in left hand and wasd for the right. I've messed around with putting the mouse in my right hand as I have had to use the right for various tasks over the years out of necessity, but it just felt very awkward and lacked precision.

I encourage any righties out there to switch to the left hand and see how that feels, lol.

I use the mouse with my right hand, am running a Saitek Cyborg Setup ( Mouse, Keyboard, Control Pad, so have all movement and some hotkeys bound to the control pad, by my left hand, mouse and targeting/primary attack for rage/force generation on the mouse, keyboard for typing etc etc etc.

works superfine

Edited by Nightingale

I just make do with mouse in left hand and wasd for the right. I've messed around with putting the mouse in my right hand as I have had to use the right for various tasks over the years out of necessity, but it just felt very awkward and lacked precision.

I encourage any righties out there to switch to the left hand and see how that feels, lol.

precision isn't needed for MMOs ;)

Developed the habit of playing over cross (mouse in the left hand while having it right of the keyboard thanks to a short cable) for playing ego-shooters,myself.

But an MMO?

where by default the mouse is just for camera turning

while you are required to play hotkey piono with your left?

• 1 year later...
How about:

Seriously?? Have you tried it? Put your mouse in your other hand and trying playing with it. It's like writing for me, there's no accuracy at all. As much as we would love to fit in with most people and be right handed for some of us it's difficult and no amount of training yourself will work, trust me i've tried!

How about:

Sounds like your closer to ambidextrous than most people, I'm right-handed (sorry) and I would struggle using the computer with left-handed stuff, and I would say your extremely lucky to be able to do this.

I have done this a few times over the past years.

In fact, I'm a kind of "middle person", being able to do a few things with my left side and others with my right side.

Maybe I should try using the mouse with my left hand again. That'd be fun. ;)

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I've had to learn to be ambidextrous in the past due to an injury. It is tough when you need to apply skill, like throwing a ball correctly, writing, and now using computer hardware. But I can do it. I make a point to test my motor skills (albeit not frequently) to make sure I haven't 'unlearned' anything- but it is a lot like learning to ride a bike, you can always pick it up again. I agree, there would be a market for left-hand users, but you would be doing yourselves a favor in teaching yourself how to do things with your off-hand. Or, if you break your hand- you won't have a choice.