Bioware, Your New UI Is Causing Me To Be Sick. Literally.

StrikeOfLight

okay so after seeing people complaining about these "flashes" all day i was expecting some type of anime seizure inducing stuff. when i actually logged on and saw what it was i started laughing, i couldn't help it, these claims seem pretty absurd. now the other complaints i will have to agree with but really? this is giving you nausea and headaches? and the flashy spells and everything else in the game before was just fine? doesn't seem reasonable

I thought the same way. I called BS on a guildie saying it made him have headaches at first too when I logged on after patch (for first time). 20 minutes later, I believed him because it did the same or worse to me.

This is what I think is going on:

Although the flashes aren't too bright, the "flashing" UI lies directly on all fields of one's peripheral vision except the top. Peripheral vision disruptions like this are notorious for causing a motion sickness effect, which in turn cause migraines, dizziness, and nausea. Seizures, too, I would expect.

Dozens and dozens of people, (myself included), are getting headaches, feeling dizzy, and nauseated since last patch.

Logic would dictate that the UI is the cause. (Unless the game is so bad people are becoming ALLERGIC to it...)

Not sure what more to tell you to help clarify what is going on. :o

Edited by StrikeOfLight

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL I just think its hilarious that no matter what Bioware does, people are going to complain about it. Not that Im 100% happy with it, I think it just needs to be a more subtle pulsing instead of a flash.

We are not complaining because we want to troll Bioware, i suffer of motion sickness and i can't play this game no matter how much i want to.

And by reading forums i understand i'm not the only one, all we ask is the possibility to go back to the previus UI which was fine...something like an option that lets you choose if you want the flashing lights or not.

This game, right now, is making people sick. Something must be done.

Yeah they are the 1s left playing the game, others that don't like are probably not online to answer :p

Except on my server Niman EU, it was mentioned and chat was suddenly filled with Bioware HATE.

No one in Belsavis liked the new cooldown at all.

I myself dislike it.

RESULTS OF TESTING WORK-AROUNDS

~So far I find that sunglasses work, but then I can't see anything and it makes the GCD that much harder to see.

~I was able to mess with the resolution, forcing the UI to be tiny. That helps a lot too, but same problem: Can't read or see what is going on as well.

~Placing the computer further away had a difference I think. Less UI flashing in the peripheral vision really does seem to make a difference.

~Placing several layers of plastic-wrap, (Yes, I actually did this and feel stupid), over the flashing action bars and dimming it down barely enough to see but not enough to be clueless worked. Worse than sunglasses though, and I would be ashamed to be anywhere near ANYONE with my laptop looking like that.

~Dimming down the gamma/brightness. Didn't seem to do anything for me.

That's all I've got. :(

Amazing.

No matter how legitimate the concerns are, no matter how unpleasant it makes people fill.

.. There are still people going "it's fine for me, there's no problem". Is this really what the world has come to? Absolutely zero empathy whatsoever? Are we this incapable of understanding that a group of people have been barred from the game because of one single thing causing them actual physical pain?

Truly amazing.

For what it's worth, I see no reason to doubt the people who are experiencing this, and neither should Bioware. MMOs are about options anyway, so at the very least get a toggle to have it on or off and leave the players to decide which they prefer.

Amazing.

No matter how legitimate the concerns are, no matter how unpleasant it makes people fill.

.. There are still people going "it's fine for me, there's no problem". Is this really what the world has come to? Absolutely zero empathy whatsoever? Are we this incapable of understanding that a group of people have been barred from the game because of one single thing causing them actual physical pain?

Truly amazing.

For what it's worth, I see no reason to doubt the people who are experiencing this, and neither should Bioware. MMOs are about options anyway, so at the very least get a toggle to have it on or off and leave the players to decide which they prefer.

Witch is truly amazing is all the crap you can see in this forums.

Yesterday, reading in work, all the post of headaches, sick, epilectip... I was very curious. So I gone home, try the game, and conmfirm my suspices... most of the people writing in this forums are just plain idiots.

Headaches, sickness? Where are you playint this game? In a 20-years-old CRT monitor, a green phosphous one?

Maybe some of you need to adjust your gamma levels, contrast, brillance... but no, isn't that. That doesn't justify all the alegations.

When I started the MMORPG years ago, the most fantastic thing was the community (I never tired WoW, of course). Sense, education... was not perfect, but very nice.

Now, this game is runied precisely for the community.

I can't beleive the sick thing, seriously. I can understand that some people could not be confortable, or just plan don't like. That, I cand compehend and respect. But, headaches? Sick? Well, if you have some kind of mental of phisical problem, then ok, but that's another kind of problem.

So, at the end of day, I can't really understand the people here. Now I really think that if BW wants to try to save this game, the first thing to do is completely close this forums.

Amazing.

.. There are still people going "it's fine for me, there's no problem". .

dude, people are saying they get nauseous and migraines. i showed a friend today the game and played for an hour, he watched and didn't understand at all what could cause that.

there is only a brief white color on the skills when the GCD ends. it doesn't flash the entire screen, and is barely noticeable.

my friend as well as I cannot fathom how any one could get remotely sick from that.

i think it is all major exaggeration by people stirring things up who hate the GCD for "other" reasons.

no jokes, i cannot fathom how this could make anyone ill

dude, people are saying they get nauseous and migraines. i showed a friend today the game and played for an hour, he watched and didn't understand at all what could cause that.

there is only a brief white color on the skills when the GCD ends. it doesn't flash the entire screen, and is barely noticeable.

my friend as well as I cannot fathom how any one could get remotely sick from that.

i think it is all major exaggeration by people stirring things up who hate the GCD for "other" reasons.

It gave me a headache. Playing a melee and hammering skills out with a 27 inch monitor was horrible. I had flickering on every side of my vision, except the top. Left, right, and bottom. Not to mention, you still can't tell when your abilities are about to come off cooldown by glancing, it looks empty.

Added by the fact that ALL skills are grayed out when executing abilities quickly as melee, I used to just glance quickly and see a skill highlighted because I had enough rage. It was simpler than me counting rage on my bar.

Just because it doesn't happen to you - doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

10 minutes using Google....??? Yeah, several thousand of us got together to form this coalition.....

I'm not one of those experiencing problems, however, when something involves visual stimuli and lights, it is very possible people are getting sick.

It will affect nothing beyond solving the problem by adding in a little Preference option that turns off the new UI. Anyone who's complaining about that being "Ridiculous" should take a step back and just consider what they would think if it was them experiencing this issue and people were talking about it like it's a lie. Take 5 minutes to think about times you had something happening but noone around you acknowledged it happening because "They didn't have that problem." bloody near a guarantee everyone's had it happen.

I don't buy it that this is making people sick. I think it's more along the lines of QQ we don't like the change QQ so we are just going to make **** up. I think the new effect looks really slick and I hope they keep it around.

*sigh*

If you can think of a way for me to prove that it is, please let me know and I will do it.

I'm at a loss for words. I'm no liar. I spent so much time on this thread it is RIDICULOUS, and I did it because I'm trying to help the other people having the same issues as me because it really isn't pleasant at all.

What more do you want. What more can I say. Tell me.

Edited by StrikeOfLight

I'm not one of those experiencing problems, however, when something involves visual stimuli and lights, it is very possible people are getting sick.

It will affect nothing beyond solving the problem by adding in a little Preference option that turns off the new UI. Anyone who's complaining about that being "Ridiculous" should take a step back and just consider what they would think if it was them experiencing this issue and people were talking about it like it's a lie. Take 5 minutes to think about times you had something happening but noone around you acknowledged it happening because "They didn't have that problem." bloody near a guarantee everyone's had it happen.

You have gained a lot of respect from me, sir. Thank you. You are a good man, and you are a dying breed in this world.

You have my friendship.

What more do you want. What more can I say. Tell me.

I think the blogpost deal with your signature getting removed might get people to take you seriously, no idea though :D

10 minutes using Google....??? Yeah, several thousand of us got together to form this coalition.....

Saying you have even a thousand just from the forum posts is pretty laughable.