Legacy system frustration

Voultaire

Hey all, I did a search on the forums for Dev posts, also did a google search in hopes to find some (ANY) kind of information about the legacy system but alas there is none! I listened to interviews, read dev posts and all I have read/heard was "it will suprise you, or it will add some more character creation options to your alts"

What I dont understand is how such a huge feature of the game is supposably only a month away and we havent even seen a glimpse of it, how it works, what REALLY does. I say that because I would like to make an alt but the Legacy system obviously is holding me back as I dont know what it offers. Am I missing something or can someone on the forums direct me to the right place to see information on this Legacy system?

I agree with the OP.

Now I don't care what new abilities the system brings. I will either find them of use when I get them or I wont and that doesn't effect me in the slightest.

But from day one of the legacy the best part of 2 months ago when I read Character creation options in the tool tip what does this mean? Character creation is unfortunately some what lacking in TOR with so many choices being human or near human and so many of the options being to add scars or jewellery while the face is very much preset.

Now will the devs be bringing in new species, new cosmetics or new options that will be unavailable to existining characters? And if so what will they be? I don't think there are many people that want to get to level 50 and run dailies to then find it was mostly a waste cause new options have become available which require them to restart and go through it all over again. Equally much like the Same gender romances will require a reroll if you want to experience them as they wont be added retroactively will the legacy bring aspects into the story that cause you played as a found you wont experience now?

Now it isn't that long away, we know it was being worked on before launch but didn't make the cut and with the increase in XP required above 20th level we can be sure that the road map has been laid out for what you get. And somewhere along the line it was deemed too easy to hit 21st and up so more grinding is required to warrant whatever it offers. Yet there seems to be a lack of any communication from the devs as to what they mean by Character creation options. And while there is a general lack of information they shouldn't be hiding character creation options. There are few enough in ToR as it is and any additonal species and the like should be rolled out ASAP not hidden away.

How can you be frustrated by something that doesn't exist?

That would be like being frustrated over teleportation or traveling at the speed of light.

Hey, I'm totally frustrated that I can't teleport. I could get a lot more sleep in if I didn't have to drive.

it's sad that i think you seriously thought that was a valid rebuttal to the OP...

Fair enough, on a serious note...

Its in development. They flat out tell you that. Its on the Legacy page. Think of it as kind of a beta test. The real question should be: "Should they have made it available to the players at such an early stage?"

My answer would be: absolutely; considering they do grant a reward for wanting to achieve a legacy, that is the legacy name. Granted, its not much, but at the end of the day you are complaining about having more features with zero negative impact...

I'm frustrated too but it certainly hasn't stopped me from making alts. Could you elaborate more on why you're waiting? I find it to be a good time to make alts and level them up if/when your main reaches max level. They'll give you legacy points and you get to experience the other storylines. That's my goal, but not everyone likes the same stuff so just wondering what's holding you back.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see in some other posts about it that people are thinking it could make race/class combos change or the perks would make leveling alts easier. :o I... seriously doubt they'll add new races but I've been wrong plenty before. I figured it would just be some additional skills that you can unlock in a legacy tree for all your characters, or other creation options like more hair colors/styles. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised if they offer much more than that. =)

Edited by SimplyKupo

I'm frustrated too but it certainly hasn't stopped me from making alts. Could you elaborate more on why you're waiting? I find it to be a good time to make alts and level them up if/when your main reaches max level. They'll give you legacy points and you get to experience the other storylines. That's my goal, but not everyone likes the same stuff so just wondering what's holding you back.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see in some other posts about it that people are thinking it could make race/class combos change or the perks would make leveling alts easier. :o I... seriously doubt they'll add new races but I've been wrong plenty before. I figured it would just be some additional skills that you can unlock in a legacy tree for all your characters, or other creation options like more hair colors/styles. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised if they offer much more than that. =)

If they hadn't said Character Creation options I don't think people would have hoped for new species added to the game. And I agree I don't think it would be the smart thing to do, new species should be added as soon as they can be and open to everyone.

But a fair bit of concern has been raised over the lack of choice in the species available with most the options being human, human with metal attachments, grey bald human, green tatooed human, bling human etc you get the idea. So there is a hope that the devs have taken this on board and those character creation options will be more species. After all legacy level 10 to get a new scar or the ability to play a blue human as a Jedi Knight is unlikely to make it either worth while or popular.

Are a lot of people going to be very disappointed when the character creation option turns out to be just that and all the hope for something decent is dashed. Sure. And after the disappointment of the CE story and the Security Key Story and the CE droid pet turning out to be a pointless grenade BW don't have an amazing track record of not doing the bare minimum.

I feel frustrated, im holding back on making alts because I dont want to make any and then find out a new race is made playable so I would have to re roll. And if new races arent made playable....well...missed opportunity and sure wont earn this game any points with me.

I hope they give us more details on what this is all about soon.

My problem with this lack of information is that I don't want to level an alt, only to have new races unlocked later on. I know I'm not the only one biding their time for this reason.

^This.

I finally broke down and made another alt, but I'm going to be sore if it turns out I missed out on good CC options.

How can you be frustrated by something that doesn't exist?

That would be like being frustrated over teleportation or traveling at the speed of light.

Dude, i get pissed basically everyday... that I am not currently living on the moon... EVERY day.

Also my experience with legacy:

Herpde derp, oh cool Star Wars I'll give it a shot, never read a thing about it. O hey legacy name well my characters name is Manifoldgodhead and I love that tag so name it Manifoldgodhead.... SWTOR: You are now named

"Manifoldgodhead Manifoldgodhead the Revanite"

*** I didn't know it was going to be displayed... its a last name?? for ALL my characters?? *** now they all have this ridiculous last name /facepalm i am a *********** idiot.

If they hadn't said Character Creation options I don't think people would have hoped for new species added to the game. And I agree I don't think it would be the smart thing to do, new species should be added as soon as they can be and open to everyone.

But a fair bit of concern has been raised over the lack of choice in the species available with most the options being human, human with metal attachments, grey bald human, green tatooed human, bling human etc you get the idea. So there is a hope that the devs have taken this on board and those character creation options will be more species. After all legacy level 10 to get a new scar or the ability to play a blue human as a Jedi Knight is unlikely to make it either worth while or popular.

Are a lot of people going to be very disappointed when the character creation option turns out to be just that and all the hope for something decent is dashed. Sure. And after the disappointment of the CE story and the Security Key Story and the CE droid pet turning out to be a pointless grenade BW don't have an amazing track record of not doing the bare minimum.

Yea "character customization" options, or "creation" or whatever still doesn't lead me to think new species. I was also disappointed on not being able to play a less humanoid race but this is just the beginning of the game. There will be patches and expansions and I feel like a lot of the community is forgetting that. It's supposed to be entertainment that evolves and grows with you and your characters. *sigh* I totally agree with you that if/when new races become available they should be available to everyone, so I think a lot of people will be disappointed with the legacy system if they got their hopes up like this, lol.

What I'm curious most about is... do you automatically get the perks with each legacy level you gain or is it like a skill tree you spend the points in, picking and choosing what you want? Time will tell!

EDIT: And of course, I know you were exaggerating but I like to think scar options and stuff of that sort would be lower level releases. Either way, when my main hits 50 I will be leveling my alts. I made them so I could be sure to have their names and I want the additional legacy points. Mostly, I just want to experience all the different storylines and don't feel like waiting around to do so.

Edited by SimplyKupo