New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

I know this complaint doesn't belong here, but oh my god I can't play off of 6fps anymore.

Seriously, 6 fps?

Sounds like bad hardware to me more than anything else.

Try lowering your graphics settings, or keep high settings but turn off bloom and put shadows to low, it should help a lot, if your PC is an old pile of junk though then even this won't do the trick.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't play for more than 10 minutes without the constant flashing making my head hurt and eyes water. I've played MMOs of every type for 15 years, I've dealt with very bad UIs and very good UIs.....

This is a fair-to-bad UI with an utterly HORRIBLE flashing effect that happens every 1.5 seconds. During that 1.5 seconds, I can't tell which of my long term CD abilities are still on cool down. Once the 1.5 seconds stops, I get a nice FLASH and then during that split second before I use another ability, I can take a quick glance at my abilities to see which have come off cool down.

I haven't felt eye-strain like this since law school..... I kid you negative.

When I first started playing this game, I was AMAZED at how inflexible and user-unfriendly the UI was.... I mean wasn't the production capital on this game in the 10s of millions?? Its as if they neglected the UI until the end, and then slapped one together with immovable action bars and placed mini maps and such in places that no other game puts them..... and super-glued them there. This is why I gave it a fair-to-bad rating to begin with.... but I put up with it because the game was decent and I love Star Wars (hey, I saw the original Return of the Jedi in the theatres!!).

For the record, I hate moddable UIs like WoW.... they practically play the game for you. All I want is some movable action bars (more than 4), movable minimap and all other components (quest tracker, group boxes, etc.). Oh, and make it so I can shrink or enlarge their scale..... see I'm not picky!!

Oh yeah, and turn off the BLEEPING holiday light GCD. Sheesh its not hard, go play Rift and just copy what they did with their base UI.

Honestly, the main issue I have with this new UI is being able to tell when a procced ability will be available after the cooldown is up. For example, Powertech's railshot. Before, I could tell railshot was going to be usable before the cooldown was up. Now, I have to wait for the cooldown to finish before being able to tell if my ion gas procced it or not. This is highly inconvenient as now I have to just mash the button everytime the cooldown is up just in case.

They need to make it easy to tell if a procced ability is up even when it is on cooldown again. These abilities have a small window of opportunity of use and forsight is needed. Other than that, I have no issues with the. New UI. My guess would be that the people not having issues with the new UI don't have to worry about procced abilities in their normal rotation.

"Greetings mrpinkii,

I am Protocol Droid G3-X5 of Human-Cyborg Relations...

We do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for contacting us with your feedback and suggestions on graphics of the game after the last patch.

We appreciate the time you took to send us your impressions and ideas, and we can assure you that our Development team is always interested in receiving constructive feedback from our players.

To ensure that your ideas are seen by the right people, we recommend posting them on our Suggestion Box forum at http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349 so that they can be seen by the Development team. While our Developers may not post in every thread created there, they do read the forums on a regular basis, and are constantly looking for feedback from our players.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to see your ideas posted on the Suggestion Box soon.

If you have any questions about this, or encounter any other issues, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid G3-X5 (aka Chris)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service"

This is my e-mail response from submitting a help request in game. Basically what I said is summed up below:

I can't play (combat) because it causes me to get a headache and makes me nauseous.

The cause - the new GCD graphic flashing every couple seconds on all my toolbars.

I'm not exaggerating this.

Also, the abilities in my hotbars are harder to see from the GCD constantly flowing while in combat, but I could get used to it all if the strobe-flashing didn't make me sick.

I would just like that flash turned off or toned down or an option to turn it back so I don't get motion sickness or whatever is happening to me when I play now.

Please do something so I can play again! Thanks!

Okay this is my first post on these forums.

I am a casual player that couldn't give a rip about 99% of the QQ about this game, and so far the developers have done a pretty decent job at fixing problems.

The new cooldown effect, however, is ridiculous. I am unable to play the game without my eyes shifting between the action and the ability bars.

Game interface is for that exactly. It needs to STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF THE GAME and SUPPORT THE PLAYER, not DISTRACT THE PLAYER.

That this change even made it out of development makes me lose much hope for the product design DISCIPLINE that should be supporting SWTOR.

Or enable UI modding.

Problem solved.

HOORAY EVERYONE WINS

Hey I had lofty aspirations for this game too but I'd have to settle with quickfixes given how little confidence I have in this game's "development" team.

Implementing UI modding is gonna be hard as hell if they can eff up simple things like this so hard.

Im sorry but this thread is a joke. Headaches really?????? Granted, launch UI CD animation was the best but seriously it's not that bad. Before was much worse and now headaches?

What else is this community going to complain about. It's really annoying. Just enjoy the game man. Ilum is the worst and were complaining over a change that actually fixed prior UI fix.

I'm sorry but i complained about the FPS issue and found out it was my computer, the UI FIX is better and we still complain like there is nothing wrong with our end. The only way to get rid of this is options and to please everyone and that comes with time.

I'm just too sick to play any more. This isn't going to work. I am really enjoying the game but I just can't play it under these circumstances.

I truly understand the drive to adjust the UI issues, but this is a step in a nauseating (literally) direction.

My biggest issue is that as a Sentinel it's hard for me to tell when the cooldown animation is running which skills I have enough focus to use. If only have four focus and I'm not watching the focus bar that closely, it's near impossible to tell that I can't use Merciless Strike, as an example.

I know the update was to try to help allow players to differentiate between when stuff is on CD and when not. But overall I find that this new animation is more distracting and obtrusive than the previous versions.

I know BioWare is trying to find something that solves the issues for everyone. I don't think this version is the answer.

My suggestion would to be to allow users to select from a couple different options.

Option 1 - The original animation.

Option 2 - The animation before this patch.

Option 3 - This new animation

And so on. That's probably more work, but giving us options to select what we like instead of just trying to wallpaper something for everyone might be best. More customizations options are always a plus.

Im sorry but this thread is a joke. Headaches really?????? Granted, launch UI CD animation was the best but seriously it's not that bad. Before was much worse and now headaches?

What else is this community going to complain about. It's really annoying. Just enjoy the game man. Ilum is the worst and were complaining over a change that actually fixed prior UI fix.

I'm sorry but i complained about the FPS issue and found out it was my computer, the UI FIX is better and we still complain like there is nothing wrong with our end. The only way to get rid of this is options and to please everyone and that comes with time.

15 mins of game now and i am on brink of seizure, head cracking and eyes almost exploding.

Sure, i am gonna enjoy that.

/faceplam

"Greetings mrpinkii,

I am Protocol Droid G3-X5 of Human-Cyborg Relations...

We do apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for contacting us with your feedback and suggestions on graphics of the game after the last patch.

We appreciate the time you took to send us your impressions and ideas, and we can assure you that our Development team is always interested in receiving constructive feedback from our players.

To ensure that your ideas are seen by the right people, we recommend posting them on our Suggestion Box forum at http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=349 so that they can be seen by the Development team. While our Developers may not post in every thread created there, they do read the forums on a regular basis, and are constantly looking for feedback from our players.

Thank you for your understanding, and we hope to see your ideas posted on the Suggestion Box soon.

If you have any questions about this, or encounter any other issues, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Galactic Support is our specialty...

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid G3-X5 (aka Chris)

Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service"

This is my e-mail response from submitting a help request in game. Basically what I said is summed up below:

I can't play (combat) because it causes me to get a headache and makes me nauseous.

The cause - the new GCD graphic flashing every couple seconds on all my toolbars.

I'm not exaggerating this.

Also, the abilities in my hotbars are harder to see from the GCD constantly flowing while in combat, but I could get used to it all if the strobe-flashing didn't make me sick.

I would just like that flash turned off or toned down or an option to turn it back so I don't get motion sickness or whatever is happening to me when I play now.

Please do something so I can play again! Thanks!

Is everyone with this problem supposed to post a suggestion? I saw several in there earlier, but they all seem to have disappeared....? I don't know what to do! Do I wait? Do I post in there? Do I call it quits and cancel my sub? Help!

15 mins of game now and i am on brink of seizure, head cracking and eyes almost exploding.

Sure, i am gonna enjoy that.

/faceplam

Im sorry, i just dont believe your story. 15min really? I can see maybe a hour a two but in that time you would need a break. Everybody would.

Installing updates for ffxi. Back to old school again. I unsubscribed not necessarily because of the bars, which are horrible and non-functioning. But because the lack of response to over 100 pages of complaints and no more than a copy and paste response, because of over 77 pages of problems with warzones and not a post to respond, because of tickets that were open for over 4 days and then closed with no response. Keep ignoring us, i wont be the last. Not everyone will move on but ill be damned if im going to pay someone to flat out ignore me. Had there been a single post that wasnt a copy-paste id be crafting in swtor right now with an active subscription, as it stands im out. I realize its a new game but the horrendous customer service is unacceptable. Peope are literally suffering because of you game and you are too insensitive to so much even acknowledge this. Im out.

aaa ok. I know what it is:

Here

The effect itself is AWESOME and goes with the game very well. But I see what you guys are seeing now. It's not effecting me whatsoever, I think it's cool and shiny :p but here's the problem in this new thing:

Players are getting confused/sick over this because it is not what they were used to for 2 whole months...so they are getting mad with it and it's making them not being able to play the game

or

getting them mentally sick by looking at the global cooldowns. BioWare, good job with the cool new look but it's overdone a little bit. Make it so the backgrounds of the hotbars where the abilities sit do not go TOO grey/fading out but so they are JUST right. THAT'S what is causing all this trouble. Some people have things with their eyes, like astigmatism, or migraines, or anything to that matter, just something as simple as this can cause the retina of the eye to become irritated in the back which sends signals to the brain it can't take that type of torture anymore therefore giving you headaches or making you dizzy.

BioWare, I tell you this, make it so it's not TOO drastic of a change, just because it seems as though the people who ARE complaining won't be playing your game. And you don't want that. This isn't a little thing it seems. It seems like a lot of people have conditions of their eyes/brain that this screws with them.

And is it just me...or do some of the gcd even appear greyed out all the time because of this effect now? For me..ok..I'll admit it. I loved having the way it was because I LOVE timing EXACTLY when my cooldowns and abilities stop so it was great before. But...this is pretty good working, you just have to do one thing: don't have it be so drastic so the white fading backgrounds pop out so much and keep fading THATS whats screwin with people :)

Hope I helped a little :)

A couple things:

First you claim the UI fix is better. Judging from this post many people don't feel that way. I won't bother reiterating the reasons because you clearly didn't bother reading prior posts.

Second, basically you are saying that all the people claiming headaches are liars and that it is all just a giant conspiracy.

The point is many people find the game unplayably in its current state. At least the Ilum problem was isolated to a single area of the game.

Edited by Thesseract

Just submitting my vote. I don't get sick or anything, but I don't care for the new GCD display. I've spent all day trying to get used to it but plain and simple, it makes it more difficult for me to tell the difference between abilities that are on GCD from abilities that are on a timer CD. I used to be able to glance at my hotbar and quickly tell which ability I should be using next and hit it right as the GCD came down. Now I have to stare at the damn thing until the GCD comes down so I know for sure which ability to use.

Another popular MMO used different symbols that would pop over the characters head when a specific ability came available. Ret Paladins from WOW will know what I'm talking about. I'd love to see something like that implemented.

If you read between the lines on the patchnotes it says that "use of drugs is recommended before looking at the new interface, as it may otherwise be impossible to make sense of. This change may also cause severe eye-strain, we are investigating the matter and thank you for your patience while we do so."

/sarcasm

But seriously, i dont usualy complain, but once again, this is horrid and a strain on the eyes for some, myself included to some extent. revert, or give the option to revert to the old CD "system."

Im sorry, i just dont believe your story. 15min really? I can see maybe a hour a two but in that time you would need a break. Everybody would.

People who say things like this very likely have low to no sensitivity to these issues. For those of us that do, it severely hampers our ability to play a lot of games. At least SWTOR was playable initially. It isn't now.

Hey I had lofty aspirations for this game too but I'd have to settle with quickfixes given how little confidence I have in this game's "development" team.

Implementing UI modding is gonna be hard as hell if they can eff up simple things like this so hard.

If they screw up simply opening the code up to be modded, we are in for some serious issues.