Why do Anakin and Padme love each other?

JustTed

If I have to imagine additional scenes to make your story make sense, you're a bad story teller and I'm in the middle of a bad story.

Show, don't tell. It's like Fiction Writing 101.

As it stands, based on what we get on screen, not only does she have absolutely no reason to love him, she had quite a few reasons to throw him into a Jedi asylum.

Girls can like jerks, yeah, but not psycho butchers who talk about fascism favorably.

So your one of those people that need to have everything shown to them, to have it make sense?...You must have no imagination. A movie cannot fit every single little thing, otherwise movies would go on for hours and hours in order to explain something that doesn't really need explaining.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls don't work like this. They're even less prone to work like this after you slaughter an entire village, women and kids included, then cry about it like a baby. Seriously, try it and tell me how much trim you're swimming in afterward. It'll be none.

Your forgetting something. Morals in the star wars universe are crap. The senate allowed a plague to kill millions. The senate allowed people on Naboo to starve. Amidala only cared because those were her own people. Tuskan raiders are not her people. You don't need to look for it, the movies have shown everyone over and over again how horrible people's morals are in this galaxy. Three creatures got killed in the Tatooine bar and everyone in the cantina not only did nothing, they enjoyed it. Pod races that are extremely popular. In huttball everyone is screaming for the contesters to slaughter one another. On Coruscant they had people who would fight to the death unarmed. Smashball was popular throughout the galaxy and it was also violent. Nothing was done about the countless interplanetary wars going on in during that time or during the time of the galactic empire.

Look at the movies its not hard to figure out that people in star wars don't have any morals except a select few. Anakins mother says no one cares about anyone. Sebulba was about to kill Jar Jar Binks simply for bugging him. The Gungans were about to let the Naboo people get destroyed. Seriously do I have to give anymore examples to convince you.

So your one of those people that need to have everything shown to them, to have it make sense?...You must have no imagination.

Dude, it's bad story telling.

"You need to make up your own parts for the plot to make sense." Is this really your point of view?

Anakin's attraction to Padme: After his near-forcible separation from his mother, she was the first female he had any significant contact with. She was a surrogate mother, and he developed one hell of an Oedipal complex.

Padme's attraction to Anakin: No idea. Women are weird. Maybe because he could levitate apples?

It's even more odd in that she is quite a bit older than him, and knew him as a little boy when she was an adult. Even worse as a member of the senate, she's going to be acustomed to men who are intelligent and mature being older.

To choose a little boy I can only think it's because some drive for power in her; you dont become an elected queen midteens and a galactic senator before you are even twenty if you don't have a personal drive for power that's way, way, above and beyond any normal parameter, and Anakin is the most powerful force user ever seen, for him to be into her, maybe it spins her button.

Your forgetting something. Morals in the star wars universe are crap. The senate allowed a plague to kill millions.

Please, we're talking about the films. I don't care what happens in the novelization. The film needs to stand on it's own and make sense on it's own. It doesn't.

It's even more odd in that she is quite a bit older than him, and knew him as a little boy when she was an adult. Even worse as a member of the senate, she's going to be acustomed to men who are intelligent and mature being older.

To choose a little boy I can only think it's because some drive for power in her; you dont become an elected queen midteens and a galactic senator before you are even twenty if you don't have a personal drive for power that's way, way, above and beyond any normal parameter, and Anakin is the most powerful force user ever seen, for him to be into her, maybe it spins her button.

Finally, some sense. Does Padmé strike anyone as the type who'd be writing love letters to prisoners? She's a bright, capable girl, but everything she does where Anakin is concerned is senseless.

Your forgetting something. Morals in the star wars universe are crap.

Let's say I agree with this. What does this have to do with my question?

So, Padmé loves Anakin because she's immoral? That still doesn't answer the question.

Why does she like him?

Hmm, a Young besottled awkward male willing to break all the rules of his religion to be with his girl and a young woman in a high pressure political environment, where she would likely be seen as a child playing at politics, disregarded if not outright belittled by her peers in the senate.

Sounds like to Padame, Annakin, is a convenient source of self esteem...

Let's say I agree with this. What does this have to do with my question?

So, Padmé loves Anakin because she's immoral? That still doesn't answer the question.

Why does she like him?

Because he is strong. He is at least one of the most powerful jedi in the history of their order. He is confident, something I know girls like, he is powerful and can easily protect her, another thing I know they like. He is more human than the other jedis. He is willing to let out his emotions. She knows he trusts her to let out all these emotions. He compliments her when alot of other people probably don't. She knows he actually likes her and is not after power like some senators wanting her might do. He is nice to her, thats another reason. And I don't think slaughtering the Tusken camp did anything to make her think less of him.

Hmm, a Young besottled awkward male willing to break all the rules of his religion to be with his girl and a young woman in a high pressure political environment, where she would likely be seen as a child playing at politics, disregarded if not outright belittled by her peers in the senate.

Sounds like to Padame, Annakin, is a convenient source of self esteem...

What indication do we get at all in the films that Padmé lacks self-esteem? She's a friggin' gorgeous Senator!

Making stuff up doesn't count. There's no reason given on the screen for her feelings. She just has them because the plot requires them.

Writer fiat.

They're too young to have seen the original trilogy first. Thus to them the prequels have always been part of Star Wars instead of being horrible, tacked on vehicles to sell more merch and stroke The Flanneled One's ego.

It's the same reason you see people defending how terribly WoW has mutated and mangled the story from Warcraft 2 & 3.

What?

Sorry you don't like them, but generalizing all the prequel likers to be young and naive to merchandise sales is just silly and wrong.

I am 37 years old, I love the prequels, I certainly think the originals were better, but I love it all as a whole.

I don't see how they are "tacked on", what makes them so? It's a whole three movies.

The Original trilogy was a huge money vehicle. Do you even research anything before posting your opinion.

Han was going to die in the originals, but George stopped it so he can sell more action figures and Han memorabilia.

It's even more odd in that she is quite a bit older than him,

he was 8 or 9 when they met, she was 14. So that is 5 or 6 years difference. My dad's 7 years older than mom, my sis's husband is 7 years older than her. But since its the chick that is older in the relationship it is somehow weird? please.

Finally, some sense. Does Padmé strike anyone as the type who'd be writing love letters to prisoners? She's a bright, capable girl, but everything she does where Anakin is concerned is senseless.

Not unless the prisoner is Revan, or another such powerful figure, it's not a nurturing or fix him type of issue.

What indication do we get at all in the films that Padmé lacks self-esteem? She's a friggin' gorgeous Senator!

Making stuff up doesn't count. There's no reason given on the screen for her feelings. She just has them because the plot requires them.

Even though she is a gorgeous senator I don't think that the other senators would say that she was. Then when Anakin told her she was gorgeous I'm sure she was flattered.

What?

Sorry you don't like them, but generalizing all the prequel likers to be young and naive to merchandise sales is just silly and wrong.

I am 37 years old, I love the prequels, I certainly think the originals were better, but I love it all as a whole.

The prequels are embarrassing.

I don't see how they are "tacked on", what makes them so? It's a whole three movies.

I never said anything about "tacked on" and don't know what you're talking about here.

The Original trilogy was a huge money vehicle. Do you even research anything before posting your opinion.

Han was going to die in the originals, but George stopped it so he can sell more action figures and Han memorabilia.

I know both of these things and never claimed otherwise.

You should read my posts before responding to them. It's why you like the prequels; you don't look at things you don't like to think about, lest they break your precious illusions.

he was 8 or 9 when they met, she was 14. So that is 5 or 6 years difference. My dad's 7 years older than mom, my sis's husband is 7 years older than her. But since its the chick that is older in the relationship it is somehow weird? please.

it's called a double standard... get use to them

Even though she is a gorgeous senator I don't think that the other senators would say that she was. Then when Anakin told her she was gorgeous I'm sure she was flattered.

And this is enough to counter "Hey, I just slaughtered a village. Let's cuddle after I cry."

You don't understand women.