Making The Game Playable

Kdense

I have been a long time player of MMOs and think that SWTOR has some promise but not if certain things aren't fixed relatively quickly. I know some people will say that this is just me wanting things "nerfed to the easy mode' but that's not the case. I just think that some if not all of this will not only help developing the social side of the game but also the 'off the beaten road' aspects of the game. In general I think that this game is sooo focused on the main story line that it's hard to stray off and just explore and enjoy the game world if you need a break from questing. Here are my major complaints with the game at the moment.

1) There are no 'summoning stones' for Flashpoints/Group Questing areas. This is VERY annoying considering how huge the zones are. Even if you do find a group to run these with you end up waiting for 10+ minutes just for your group members to get to you because they are so far away. This often times makes me want to just abandon group quests. It's simply too time consuming to group up AND get everyone where they need to be without it taking forever.

2) While the whole cut scene and 'chose your own adventure' aspect of the game is unique and 'fun' I don't really see the need for long drawn out cut scenes for every single quest. I think that limiting the amount of 'video' for lesser side quests and keeping the cut scenes to main story line quests would make this game seem like less of a chore at points. I was giving it my best effort to actually read/listen to the story line but by level 15 I just couldn't sit through all of it anymore.

3) Because of the in-depth story lines it is sometimes hard to find people to quest/run with that are able to actually participate in the conversations with you. I think that because of this making the convos worth more than 2-4 points for most of them would be nice. It shouldn't be torture to build social points. I ran with someone for an hour yesterday and ended up with almost no social points because we simply didn't have quests with conversation. There should be some points awarded for simply completing quests as a group.

4) Zones and areas are needlessly large. The quests are VERY spread out and moving around is not easy at all. There is lots of time wasted running through areas that are huge with no reason to be so big. This is a similar problem that WoW had but they at least allowed for addons that would help show you efficient routes based on what quests would come after the current ones so you could maximize your travel and in the end they ended up adding more fly points. I do like that your not bound to just one specific binding point of fast travel but it'd be nice if this was a little more useful with a shorter cool down. Either way travel is an issue and the number one reason I throw in the towel and decide to stop playing at the end of the day. Running down the same road to a ridiculously far away place to do a task is not fun... needs to be fixed.

5) Crafting and AH. One of my favorite parts of MMOs is crafting and AH's and the economy. This game kills that. Crafting is not able to be 'power leveled' or even leveled regularly. Taking 3-6 minutes per point is a little stupid. I'm not playing a browser based game here... I'm playing a real time MMO... I don't understand why they made crafting 'real time'.

Also, the AH is too complicated to navigate as a first time user who just wants to browse what's out there. In addition to it's complicated nature I don't like that the deposit scales not with the actual value of the object but with what you're charging for it. This doesn't allow you to test the market and see what people are willing to pay without risking losing a lot of money for really no purpose. As a 7 year player of WoW I can tell you that a lot of what got me through the 'low points' of the game was being able to just play the AH and craft an farm. It allows a nice break from the grind, it's my opinion that this needs to be a more viable game aspect to make swtor successful.

All in all I think that this game has promise but there are MAJOR faults that need to be fixed for long term play-ability. I have yet to cap a toon so I haven't played end game yet but so far I'm wondering if I'll ever get there because I'm getting so sick of running around for pointless questing that makes me watch a 3 minute video everytime I want to turn one in.

Hoping these things will be fixed soon.

Your signature is - odd... :confused:

What is a Jedi Counselor?

And what is a Jedi Tropper?

Jedi Counselor:

noun: A Jedi who;

1. gives counsel; an adviser.

2. is also an attorney.

3. who supervises young people at a super special Jedi summer camp.

Edited by XOrionX

1) Totally agree. Being able to summon group members to a flashpoint or heroic area would be nice.

2) Meh. Spacebar is there if you need it.

3) Social points should be expanded on. It's pretty weak that they only exist in group conversations.

4) It was a little tiring before getting sprint, but I really liked the grand scale of areas and buildings. After sprint, I hardly felt fatigued from traveling, and even less so after getting my speeder.

5) You have this all wrong. I level'd 3 different crew skills to 400 in two days. It's almost too easy! I'm always like 7 levels ahead on the gear I can craft when leveling my alts. You can send crew members out on multiple different missions or have them all be crafting or a mix of the two. You don't even have to run to a forge/anvil or whatever to do this. Hence, you quest while crafting and don't waste fifteen minutes running back to town to make your next set of gear.

As for the GTN, no matter what the deposit is you always get it back unless you cancel the auction. There's nothing stopping you from experimenting. The only time the GTN takes credits is if the item sells, then the GTN takes a cut. You must be missing something because every alt character I have (7 now) makes money on the GTN through crafting, and they're all lower level alts. I can agree that they need to work on the navigation. Shift+click search for items, better organization...I don't like how custom orange gear doesn't have it's own group.

Anyway, some good points in the OP. Hope you have better luck crafting and using the GTN in the future.

@ the OP

You forgot to include... everything that is actually wrong with the game.

You just named things that you personally don't like about the game, but that others do - while neglecting to mention the excessive ammount of features that do not work as intended.

The game has a MASSIVE ammount of problems. Most of them lie with bugs, half baked gameplay, class balance, RNG issues, bs loot drops for classes that aren't even on your faction, a plethora of ridiculous, unacceptable bugs that should have been removed before the game went live, grind based PvP gameplay and on top of all that, a huge lack of standard MMO features that would make the game a lot less painful to play.

Overall, the game is about 10 steps backwards from even classic WoW and EQ1. It's a single player game with a multiplayer function, and should not have been released as early as it was.

I hate to say it but please, "go back to wow".

Edited by Introvertus

While I do not agree with pretty much anything the OP said, I will agree that crew skills is crap. It is crap in the way that I feel like I am not actually doing anything, and I will agree it does have a slight browser-game feel to it.

I tell my npc companion droid to go craft me ear pieces and grenades, he comes back with them and somehow I got better at it? I'm not actually really involved in the process here, I don't even scavange my stuff, my npc does it for me while I run off and then he catches up later.

Compared to other MMO's such as Starwars Galaxies, Warcraft, Everquest ect whos crafting skills made you stop and actually make it, it felt like you are the one doing it and not just ordering someone else to do it. When my warrior in WOW made an epic sword with his blacksmithing I felt a little bit of pride in it because I went and got the ingredients myself, and I went to the forge and hammered it together, I felt involved in the process like it was mine. In TOR I say, hey go make some grenades, my droid does it, then comes back with grenades, involved is the last thing I feel when it comes to TOR crafting skills.