Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

THIS. Yes I 100% agree. Logged in tonight to find a feature that to me seemed like it did not need fixing, suddenly looking horrible. Totally distracting, and definitely on my wish list for 'rollback'. Found myself looking more at my action bar than at the action itself and thinking.. urrrrgh, i hate this!

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, you can't. I half want to make a video with me spamming my buff, just to show you that all my abilities look like the exact same greyed out white bordered thing when the GCD is active, regardless of whether I can use the ability or not.

And I can make a video showing that skills not available because I don't have the resource, or target, or on cool down, aren't flashing, its only those available that are. Lying doesn't help your cause at all.

Is this the ideal solution from BW? No. Could be a lot better.

Edited by Deyjarl

THIS. Yes I 100% agree. Logged in tonight to find a feature that to me seemed like it did not need fixing, suddenly looking horrible. Totally distracting, and definitely on my wish list for 'rollback'. Found myself looking more at my action bar than at the action itself and thinking.. urrrrgh, i hate this!

I dont think we will get a rollback anytime this week. Im guessing we are all going to have to deal with it until next weeks maintenance :(

this is going to be the worst week ever

So, I haven't gotten to see any of this for myself yet, but I'm getting the impression that most of the forum rage is stemming from the community's insistance that SWTOR not have holidays, and here goes BioWare implementing the Christmas UI patch... in February.

Yes?

I dont think we will get a rollback anytime this week. Im guessing we are all going to have to deal with it until next weeks maintenance :(

this is going to be the worst week ever

if its causing people to get as dizzy as i am they need to do it tonight at the latest.

So, I haven't gotten to see any of this for myself yet, but I'm getting the impression that most of the forum rage is stemming from the community's insistance that SWTOR not have holidays, and here goes BioWare implementing the Christmas UI patch... in February.

Yes?

if christmas was a rave.... then yes

And this is EXACTLY why trying to be an effing unique snowflake and reinventing things that just WORK in other mmo's in order to just be different is what ? a failure..

I have no idea why they do not just :

Gray out an ability on cooldown and super impose a counter over the icon

As have been suggested plenty of times in the PTS forums as well.

And I can make a video showing that skills not available because I don't have the resource, or target, or on cool down, aren't flashing, its only those available that are. Lying doesn't help your cause at all.

Is this the ideal solution from BW? No. Could be a lot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiVvUFBCBlw

Pay close attention to slot #8, you can see the number is red almost the entire time, yet flashes after every GCD swing.

If you're going to call someone a liar, make sure you actually know what you're talking about.

So what exactly was wrong with the way it was on beta? I don't see what the problem is with having abilities get greyed out and then turning on. This new seizure inducing UI is ridiculous. Please stop trying to improve on what works and start fixing the things that don't work, you are making the game worse.

I thought the last cooldown visual change was unnecessary. This one was from left field, totally awful. I got used to the last one, I won't do it again. I have to eyeball ranges between myself and targets now, which is incredibly difficult in a serious pvp situation where everyone is moving and AoE is a distinct possibility. That flashing nonsense every global is distracting and just altogether counterproductive. I pray this and other issues are resolved soon, as I don't see a future for the game as it is. :/

I agree with you all. Please for the love of god give us a hotfix to at LEAST turn this crap off. Its SO distracting. Hell. I cant even see if any of my other ablitites are off cool down or what cause they are being white washed with this crappy new animation. Who is the monkey that tested this and approved for the patch. They need a swift kick in the you know what.

The changes to the UI GCD animation is nauseating, distracting, and managed to give me a blinding headache within 30 minutes of game play.

I personally find this a game breaking issue. Please offer the option to opt out, or tone down, or revert to the old style animation.

Every single skill flashes when global cool down finishes.

No they do not. Every skill that is available flashes. Yes that is a lot of skills but it is not every skill for every character.

Yes this needs to be fixed. But using misinformation about it isn't the way to go about it. There are plenty of reasons to change it without having to resort to that.

Edited by Deyjarl

No they do not. Every skill that is available flashes. Yes that is a lot of skills but it is not every skill.

Yes this needs to be fixed. But using misinformation about it isn't the way to go about it. There are plenty of reasons to change it without having to resort to that.

Syylara (page 89) has already posted a video that disproves your rebuke. Gotta keep up with the thread, dude...

Edited by nezroy

It's amazing now.

Now we actually have to use the force to figure out when our abilities are ready to go.

lol not only on the surface, but someone actually posted that they had "a feel" for when to use their abilities.

No they do not. Every skill that is available flashes. Yes that is a lot of skills but it is not every skill.

I linked a video that shows abilities not ready to fire flashing, so get your facts straight.

Someone has already posted a video that disproves your rebuke. Gotta keep up with the thread, dude...

On some characters if they have every skill available. Perhaps. But not on all. If I have skills on cool down they don't flash. If I have skills that require a certain resource, they don't flash.

While I appreciate the attempt to make it more obvious which spells were on cooldown, I feel the new effects are just making it harder to see which abilities are available. The flashing and washout effects obscure the visibility of the abilities, and the flashing occurs after it has come off cooldown (making it difficult to react quickly as you cannot quite tell if it is available or just part of the GCD flashing).

All that was needed was to add a dark blue or reddish tinge to the abilities which were on cooldown, as the old GCD effect was sufficient and didn't obscure vision.

Is anyone else not liking the new effect?

Couldn't have put it better myself, the new cooldown is irritating, and I find it looks like the whole bar is greyed out when powers are available.

As i'm playing it tonight i've got a rage bar with plenty of units on it to use, no mobs in range ro sight .. all abilities are lit up. I turn a corner, target a mob, all the abilities go dim, and yet while dim, i can use said abilities such as assault, vicious slash etc. The CD visibility is far too distracting as it is.. i know which abilities were usable, and i knew i had the rage to perform them, but this ui is no longer actually displaying a true reflection of what is actually usable.

I support the idea of either giving us options in preferences to enable/disable cd/gcd view options, or roll this back.. and soon.

I've NEVER had cause to post about a patch change, but this one, I totally did not like.