Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested this and you are completely wrong.

It flashes whether the ability is usable or not. As a rage using class, just because the ability is off GCD does NOT mean it is usable.

No you didn't test this. It works exactly like that for every ability on my character. Not sure what you are trying to pull by saying that, but at least for my smuggler that is exactly how it works.

The only thing that needs changing now is the brightness of the flash. Not a big issue for me, but i can completely understand how it would be an issue for others.

Edited by Deyjarl

Sign! The new system is a nightmare for my sith warrior play style... Being not able predict my next possible abilities has ruined the whole class for me. Great Job BW! :(

Yeah, this.

It seems that BW does not get that we need to be able to tell if a skill is available or not regardless of the GCD. Or, in other words, the GCD cooldown is NOT the same as a skill cooldown/range/pre-req not met.

The GCD indicator should be a completely separate and very subtle thing. If a skill is not available due to the GCD, I don't really care. I care to see when the GCD is up in a general sense, but not per-skill. The GCD indicator should be barely noticeable.

The GCD indicator is almost ALWAYS on; it should be the LEAST dominant visual effect, not the MOST dominant one.

Yes, it is at least possible to tell if a reactive skill is available (it becomes slightly less dim and the keybind gets lighter) even while on GCD, and likewise the long-term CDs are possible to distinguish but only OVER TIME (by comparing the rate of their progress bar to the rate of the GCD progress bar).

But neither of these things are easy to do quickly or in my peripheral vision when there is a giant white GCD flash going off on every single button every 1.5s.

Edited by nezroy

give us useless crap that noone wanted and is worse then it was before, and people should moan.

I'm much better with it than without it,

The one going I do want to actually be able to keep my awareness on the combat would be proc notifications in a more obvious and hard to miss fashion, sucks to always have to keep my eyes on the bottom of the screen... You know what I mean if you play an assassin (deception).

As a Shadow using a more energy-like resource, I've got a good feel for my abilities. However, I've got a ton of cooldowns to manage, and the GCD effect adds some unnecessary difficulty.

How? If you can use it, it flashes, if you can't it doesn't.

yeah, don't get how people are having trouble understanding this.

1) It is mis-timed, the flash actually occurs after the GCD is up.

2) This still doesn't address the issue of situational-use abilities, if you have to wait until after the animation passes and the dark overlay is removed, you are losing damage/healing potential. Not to mentioned that it is likely you already hit another key and by the time the GCD comes back around, you'll have missed the window of opportunity to use that ability, leaving you spamming a key that is unusable, having lost more damage/healing potential, etc.

1. The flash itself is giving people problems/headaches

2. Since so many abilities flash at the same time it's hard to use peripheral vision and instead you have to focus on more things at once

3. We want to know BEFORE the GCD is up what will be available, not after

4. More time-sensitive abilities may get missed because of the overlay

Get rid of the flash and don't fade abilities that aren't on their own CD. Simple.

Edited by ptwonline

Flashing lights at the edge of the screen -> bad idea.

The action should be happening in the middle of the screen, if you get what I mean.

Two black layers with different opacity covering the ability, how hard can it be.

People don't want anything flashy, except their sabers and blaster bolts, and maybe some missiles and flamethrower, and force shields.

Not flashing UI...

I'm just laughing my *** off, how hard can it be?

No you didn't test this. It works exactly like that for every ability on my character. Not sure what you are trying to pull by saying that, but at least for my smuggler that is exactly how it works.

The only thing that needs changing now is the brightness of the flash. Not a big issue for me, but i can completely understand how it would be an issue for others.

Every single skill flashes when global cool down finishes. That means 2 full bars of skills flash at me every few seconds. You need to realise not everyone plays the same class. It works different for others.

I'm much better with it than without it,

The one going I do want to actually be able to keep my awareness on the combat would be proc notifications in a more obvious and hard to miss fashion, sucks to always have to keep my eyes on the bottom of the screen... You know what I mean if you play an assassin (deception).

we can only hope... its weird how some classes procs have clear indication... like Sorcs flash red when they can use their big blast thing, but others get nothing.

If you are waiting to see whether a skill flashes or not when the GCD is up, you are "doing it wrong" (that's a joke, btw, nothing personal, I'm just alluding to the reality that we all have different play styles).

In other words, those of us who are complaining want to know if a skill is going to be available BEFORE the GCD is up. I need to know what button I'm going to be hitting next. I can't be waiting for the GCD to finish before seeing what flashes and what doesn't to decide what button to push.

Right now, the GCD effect is so dominant that it is nearly impossible to figure out which skills are going to be available post-GCD based on the very subtle visual cues currently ascribed to other specific conditions. Namely, reactive skills being available or not, and long CD skills still being hard to distinguish from just regular old GCD skills. (EDIT: to clarify... both of those have visual cues, but the visual cues are much harder to distinguish among the flashing GCD spam, when in reality they are the MORE important cues).

Edited by nezroy

I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said before, just want to add my voice to the numbers in the hopes of changes. Yes, there were some issues before this change, but it's ridiculously less playable now.

On some classes, I don't mind so much, but for my tanking it's a complete nightmare. I don't have whatever kind of mind it takes to instinctively remember exactly how much rage every ability is going to cost in a splitsecond, so having the ones that I have enough rage for lit up is massively important, now everything is concealed behind a silvery glow.

I don't like to whine about early stage implimentation issues, and this is the first time I've been driven to complain on the forums, but this is really stupid, and makes my play much more uncomfortable for no really good reason.

This is awfull....!

The the effect is messing up my ability to see

if my abilities are cooled down or not!

all dimmed out is making me blindly hit abilities.

Bioware why did you mess with this, it wasnt broken.

I never post on here but this was needed.

Bioware...please put it back. gees

I honestly preferred the what it was in the launch build...it just needed more contrast, or " darked out things in cool down needed to be darker)

how it is now is actually throwing me off really bad, and yeah as a Sentinel I literally live or die horridly by the cool downs.

1. The flash itself is giving people problems/headaches

2. Since so many abilities flash at the same time it's hard to use peripheral vision and instead you have to focus on more things at once

3. We want to know BEFORE the GCD is up what will be available, not after

4. More time-sensitive abilities may get missed because of the overlay

Get rid of the flash and don't fade abilities that aren't on their own CD. Simple.

- This. (Especially #3)