Qyzen Fess Weapon Issues

Alzyrian

Hmmm well I'll be watching this thread carefully for equipping tips.

Please keep them coming. I only bought yesterday, so not at the point in the story where I pick up Qyzen just yet. Maybe tonight though after work.

Don't freak out about the whole Fess thing. Mine's still mostly using stuff I got on the 3rd World (no spoilers ^^), which I finished at level 23 iirc. I'm now 28, just finishing up the 4th World and we can still 'solo' anything that isn't a group mission (called heroics, they come in 2 players recommended and 4 players recommended varieties) and can even do the 2+'s if It's late and I can't find anyone else. Takes ages but it'd totally doable if you must.

Anyone who tells you his upgrade tree is broken is right, it needs fixing, it's unbalanced. Anyone who tells you he's useless is not right, you'll do just fine with him, he's still a good tank.

/tiphat

Edited by underbridge

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some techblades on Nar Shadda that are around the early 20s with aim on them. But the upside of Qyzen only using techblades is that he can use str stat gear pretty much just as well. It is not as well rounded a stat for him as aim but when most of your attacks are melee it doesn't matter much. Edited by VikingGamer

the companion you get after hoth has identical abilities to fess but uses a rifle

that is however 40 levels of fess if you go that route. i prob wouldnt, i'd use dps companions for everything but elites/champions/3+ strong packs

Fess really needs to have an orange blade made available. I have searched high and low from 1 - 50 and found nothing for him which relegates him to a backseat. If I need a tank I will use the Ranged dude for the simple fact I can fully upgrade him and he uses weapons that are easily accessible.

That said, I dropped Fess as soon as I got Theran for the simple fact a healer helps me alot more than a tank who cannot hold anything because he will always be subpar to the threat I generate from FULLY upgraded weaponary.

You'll start finding techblade gear in quest rewards on Nar Shadda and Tatooine. I think I've upgraded his weapon about three times now and just got to Alderaan. There is still a lack of techblade upgrades from vendors, especially moddable orange versions; but at least you won't be stuck using a level 10 weapon forever.

And fix the codex so it does not say that he uses vibroswords...

Yeah, I bought him a Vibrosword with commendations because the damn codex says that he can use them. Too bad I can't get the commendations back... I just spent them on vendor trash.

Well, this would explain why the three techblades I put on the GTN disappeared so quickly. I have a guild mate who is Armstech, he made me a purple one plus three critted techblades.

If you don't have a handy guildie with Armstech, like it's been mentioned here there are vendors that sell them. Although, it seems that the one who DID sell it on Taris has been deactivated for some odd reason.

My guild is on Sith Wyrm, I'll push my guild mate to make some more and post them up on the GTN. Qyzen kicks so much arse with his new one, he sometimes kills them before I have a chance to set off my second attack!

PLEASE FIX THIS! Sheesh! :confused:

I just bought him a bunch of strength gear because it says AIM is for RANGED WEAPONS only.

This is very very poor design, to be kind.

Also, in the AH when I select Heavy Armor and "Can be equipped by QF" none of the heavy armor comes up. When I do the same search as "Equip all", then all of the heavy armor comes up but in red (unequippable) for QF. If I buy a piece of heavy armor that says QF can not equip it - when I give it to QF he can equip it just fine. *boggled*

Edited by SageJapan

PLEASE FIX THIS! Sheesh! :confused:

I just bought him a bunch of strength gear because it says AIM is for RANGED WEAPONS only.

This is very very poor design, to be kind.

Also, in the AH when I select Heavy Armor and "Can be equipped by QF" none of the heavy armor comes up. When I do the same search as "Equip all", then all of the heavy armor comes up but in red (unequippable) for QF. If I buy a piece of heavy armor that says QF can not equip it - when I give it to QF he can equip it just fine. *boggled*

This is not a bug. His codex clearly states that Aim and Endurance are his stats.

The function of stats are unique to each class. e.g.: A Sage uses Willpower to improve healing abilities, while a smuggler would use Cunning to achieve the same thing.

When you hover over Qyzen's Aim stat it tells you that it affects Melee and Tech abilities.

As for the AH, the "Can be equipped by QF" option is, I believe, only going to show armour that is specifically only worn by him. Like the quest items you can receive that has his name on them.

Aim: This stat is only used for range weapons.

Fix that. Not everyone knows to look at the Codex to know what stats your companions use. Many people look at the stat descriptions instead. Simplify.

You can't apologize for poor game design, unfortunately.

And as I said, stats do different things for different classes.

If you press C, then select Qyzen. Hover the mouse over Aim and it will mention melee and tech.

Your wrong Ardwan. Using STR gear improves his stats just as much as AIM gear does. Either the companion is not working as designed or they need to update the help for him such as the codex and the hover over his stats.

Your wrong Ardwan. Using STR gear improves his stats just as much as AIM gear does. Either the companion is not working as designed or they need to update the help for him such as the codex and the hover over his stats.

No it doesn't.

When checking Qyzen's stats:

Strength:

Melee Damage Bonus

Melee Critical Chance

Aim:

Ranged Damage Bonus

Melee Damage Bonus

Melee Critical Chance

Ranged Critical Chance

Tech Damage Bonus

Tech Critical Chance

And here I was cursing the game for Qy-Z's quest rewards granting Aim instead of Strength. Why on earth did BIOWARE make this change in combat tactics for Qy-Z?

As much as I like him, I have noticed how he generally gets his scaled head beat in in the late levels of Nar Shardar and Tatooine. I have done my best to keep his equipstuff consistant with the challanges we face together. Theran does seem to hold his own in the few fights I've used him in, damn ol' Qy-Z wont like it when Theran takes his place in the field. He's a warrior after all, deserves to be in the thick of things. :(

Really? It's hardly a huge issue you just buy or receive as mission reward a new weapon for him on each planet.

Yes, I am level 40 now and used Fezz exclusively as tank-companion (he tanks, I DPS). You get upgrades for his weapon every 2 planets on your class quest.

Every quest where it is available, I always pick the equipment for him and he tanks nicely.

The only thing I ever bought for him was one earpiece (made his implants myself).

I have been following this thread and do agree that it is difficult to find better weapons for Qyzen. I found on the GTN a blade for him that was an improvement over the initial weapon when I was on Coruscant. I am now working Taris with him and have begun to discover armor that is character specific for him and the droid that came with my ship (can't remember his name, but no one see's him as a companion).

So I will have to see, but most people are right that unless either a Guildmate has your back in terms of Weapon for Qyzen or you get luck on the GTN on your server. You will have to just wait and see.