The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech 50 PVP Video: 4/6/31 All-Out DPS Spec

taugrimtaugrim

Watch the video:

| on my blog

Please note the footage is from a Vanguard character, but as Powertech and Vanguard are mirrors the information in this video is applicable to players of either class.

Copy of the description for the video provided below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This video covers the 4/6/31 “all-out” DPS PVP spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhMbdGGMs.1

This spec synergizes around the strong offensive capabilities of the Pyrotech tree, in particular the mechanics for Rail Shot and Elemental damage.

I queued solo for the Alderaan match in the video as a 52 Valor Rank Vanguard with 8 pieces of Champion gear.

For more information about Powertech PVP, please refer to my free in-depth Guide. To see me PVP’ing live, check out my TwitchTV channel. My stream features real-time commentary – and to the extent possible interaction with the Chat Room.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Few things:

- You mention "Don't attack tanks if you can'.

One thing about Pyro is, it doesn't matter *who* you attack. They only seperating factor is a bit of HP. They *all* die relatively within good speed and time.

- Energy Rebounder but no Degauss...

Not understanding the mindset there. Pyros are very very squishy, Snares are *VERY* deadly to us. If we can't get away from some classes if we are low nothing will save us unless we kill them first. No reason why in a PvP build you wouldn't take an ability to negate that (in my opinion). Perhaps you have a reason for this.

Otherwise not to be "to negative" but it felt more of a "This is some pvp tips in a video while I play pyro video" rather then a build video.

Edited by exphryl

Few things:

One thing about Pyro is, it doesn't matter *who* you attack. They only seperating factor is a bit of HP. They *all* die relatively within good speed and time.

Not understanding the mindset there. Pyros are very very squishy, Snares are *VERY* deadly to us. If we can't get away from some classes if we are low nothing will save us unless we kill them first. No reason why in a PvP build you wouldn't take an ability to negate that (in my opinion). Perhaps you have a reason for this.

Otherwise not to be "to negative" but it felt more of a "This is some pvp tips in a video while I play pyro video" rather then a build video.

Yes, but you really want to be using your energy shield whenever it's up, and you are in (what looks like) a fight that is going to be 12s+. The Degauss is just going to be too rare to use 2 points in it, rather then upping your overall damage/crit chance.

To Taugrim, I don't see why you would have a 3% on Rail Shot, instead of another 2% of all fire effects, unless I'm understanding fire effects wrong (I thought it was 2% to all fire damage, which would be great for CGC, IM, and FB). If you could explain that, it's the only thing I'm confused about (the only thing I can figure, is that you use RS more often, and the 3% bonus damage to that actually comes out higher then the 2% bonus to CGC/IM/FB since they are weaker and used less).

I'm also curious if you've started use this spec. I haven't been able to watch your stream as of late, due to being too busy in game really. Last I knew you were happily running your Iron First spec.

Few things:

Pyros are very very squishy, Snares are *VERY* deadly to us. If we can't get away from some classes if we are low nothing will save us unless we kill them first. No reason why in a PvP build you wouldn't take an ability to negate that (in my opinion). Perhaps you have a reason for this.

i have the same concern,

snare is very annoy to pryo.

Yes, but you really want to be using your energy shield whenever it's up, and you are in (what looks like) a fight that is going to be 12s+. The Degauss is just going to be too rare to use 2 points in it, rather then upping your overall damage/crit chance.

Yea that's the main thing. I want to bubble when I need the mitigation, not wait til I have a root / snare and need the mitigation.

To Taugrim, I don't see why you would have a 3% on Rail Shot, instead of another 2% of all fire effects, unless I'm understanding fire effects wrong (I thought it was 2% to all fire damage, which would be great for CGC, IM, and FB).

Yep that is a valid swap for points. I've wondered if that would be better given the extent of Elemental damage for the spec.

I'm also curious if you've started use this spec. I haven't been able to watch your stream as of late, due to being too busy in game really. Last I knew you were happily running your Iron First spec.

When I dinged 50, I tried multiple high Pyrotech builds. So the footage was from over 2 weeks ago. At that time I ran dozens of Warzones with various high Pyro specs.

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

Yes, as I said in the video, we have heavy Elemental damage that bypasses armor.

That being said, some tanks spec for mitigation talents and/or have bubbles such as Guardian/Juggernaut.

i have the same concern,

snare is very annoy to pryo.

If you run with degauss even just for a few games you will see that it is, id even go as far to say 100% useless.

The talent forces you to use pretty much your only defense cooldown as a snare removal, which you usually do when youre running away, so you are hoping you dont get hit anymore. If you do get hit, you just get snared again, making degauss useless, if you don't get hit you waste your energy shield.

You are welcome to try it out, but it is a waste of 2 talent points that would be much better in other places.

If you run with degauss even just for a few games you will see that it is, id even go as far to say 100% useless.

I agree fully. When your shield cd comes up so fast due to your other talent, just use it to stop the beating.

Normally, you can kill your target before your really regret getting stuck there.

Snares hurt you differently, depending if you are solo, or queueing with a friend.

Few things you should include:

-Flame Burst kiting. Even though we are technically melee, we can utilize the guarantee snare and 10m Flame Burst to kite other melees. Very worth it since our defense is pretty weak.

-You can use Grappling Hook offensively against tank/healer combo. Just yank the healer out of guard range and instant gib him with cds.

-The best burst combo you can pull off is TD > FB > RS. Flame Burst applies CGC which will instantly deal damage upon application. RS will refresh and apply CGC first tick again. TD explodes as RS hit the target. It's better than opening up with IM against targets within 10m range. So if you get lucky and everything crits. With cds, it'll be around ~13k damage in 3 gcds: 4.5k RS and TD, 2k FB, and 1k CGC tick x2 (the damage is averaged and based on my current gears against decent geared targets). With this kind of opening burst, you can wreck anything including tanks. Just use stuns intelligently to stop him from using def cds. Most will be caught in suprise, and it'll be too late for them to use the cds.

Yep pretty much the build I use, except I do actually like Deguass especially with Energy Rebounder.

I haven't had too much proper with getting buttjumped on by any ops or assassins in a while.

When I do reach level 50 I might reconsider but I still think I would more likely get killed by being outnumbered and slowed rather that getting hit by a suprise attack.

You obviously want to save energy shield for migation but you are gonna to need a lot of migation if you are slowed and unable to get away.

In 1 vs 1 fights snares are that bad, but being slowed when three people are attacking you usually means a quick death.

Edited by The_Beastwood

The best burst combo you can pull off is TD > FB > RS.

Yeah. This is a video showing a very quick full burst potential of pyro (Note: I fat fingered and did not FB but RP'd in this but it didn't matter since I got all crits. Just so people who may be curious of what this spec is capable of can see)

I agree fully. When your shield cd comes up so fast due to your other talent, just use it to stop the beating.

Problem is, least from my PvP Experience (since i'm always Pyro last few weeks in PvP) is times I would use my shield, for damage reduction, is few and far between. Normally in a 1v1 Situation I am far enough ahead where it won't matter. The times I *DO* need it is when I feel I am going to die, this usually happens with the snares so that's when I use it. Large Groups are chaotic and it's just a temporary band-aid before you die anyways to get a flame sweep or two in. (I feel at least)

Assuming you have 4 piece eliminator set, you should make a carolina parakeet video with your current gear level.

He was using Combat Tech before, unless he got super lucky with RNG and got more tokens.

I have a full BM Eliminator Set, I am opting though these last few days to run 4 piece Columi Combat Tech for the added endurance, aim, and 8% railshot damage(I lost 2.5% expertise from the gear switch out so came out ahead in that ability). I'm liking this a lot more so far. (I have a high crit so the 15% loss doesn't hurt me to much as I still get many many crit rail shots)

Do you find Carbonize works well with the full DPS spec?

Carbonize will be used a lot. Whether it is to group people up for flame thrower, or to try to create some distance between you and the target. Remember, Pyros are very very squishy as a DPS Class. Anything that can potentially save us is important, that short stun, very important.

That being said, some tanks spec for mitigation talents and/or have bubbles such as Guardian/Juggernaut.

I guess it's just a playstyle preference than. I attack whoever I see first normally in my routes I take in the Warzones (Yes, I have routes. I take the same path at the start of huttball 100% of the time..heh)

Edited by exphryl

Carbonize will be used a lot. Whether it is to group people up for flame thrower, or to try to create some distance between you and the target. Remember, Pyros are very very squishy as a DPS Class. Anything that can potentially save us is important, that short stun, very important.

Does Carbonize replace Flash Bang or are they both useful?

Thanks

Does Carbonize replace Flash Bang or are they both useful?

Thanks

Flash Bang breaks on damage if i recall, where as Carbonize is a full stun.

So both useful :) I feel at least in different situations.

Edited by exphryl

Few things:

Actually it does matter a little. Rail shot being our main burst and it is both ranged and kinetic damage. Now with the armor ignore the armor doesnt matter much but is still there but the main point is rail shot is subject to every form of shielding and defense. So unless your accuracy stacked to hell chances are that tank is going to be reducing its damage by a chunk 20-30% of the time or just completely avoiding it 20-30% of the time. This puts you at a distinct disadvantage

Few things you should include:

-Flame Burst kiting. Even though we are technically melee, we can utilize the guarantee snare and 10m Flame Burst to kite other melees. Very worth it since our defense is pretty weak.

Yes, I mention that in the video:

-You can use Grappling Hook offensively against tank/healer combo. Just yank the healer out of guard range and instant gib him with cds.

-The best burst combo you can pull off is TD > FB > RS. Flame Burst applies CGC which will instantly deal damage upon application. RS will refresh and apply CGC first tick again. TD explodes as RS hit the target. It's better than opening up with IM against targets within 10m range. So if you get lucky and everything crits. With cds, it'll be around ~13k damage in 3 gcds: 4.5k RS and TD, 2k FB, and 1k CGC tick x2 (the damage is averaged and based on my current gears against decent geared targets). With this kind of opening burst, you can wreck anything including tanks. Just use stuns intelligently to stop him from using def cds. Most will be caught in suprise, and it'll be too late for them to use the cds.

Great stuff.

Degauss is...annoying. The issue is, as mentioned, your choice is to use the shield for mitigation or save it for a snare break.

Now in a 1v1 situation, sure that may be more useful, but honestly 1v1 isn't that important in the first place, usually it's a chaotic fight going on where where there is AoE flying around and ranged attackers off to the side blasting at you as well, in these cases Degauss isn't worth it, you don't want to save your shield, you want to use it as often as you can.

If your trying to escape it may save you but most attackers will be able to reapply the snare anyway and even without the snare we have the movement of a turtle, if they really want you dead they are going to catch up to you.

Sometimes Degauss helps, but more often than not it just doesn't, compare this to Rapid Venting or Infrared Sensors, both of which I would hate to loose, Rapid Venting allows me to pour out burst more often on demand, and Sensors helps against stealth classes and gives some passive protection.

Now, that I've actually watched the video...

For me the easiest way for me to know rail shot has reset is to listen for the "laugh".

Course that doesn't work to well if your not listening to SWTOR sound effects.

It's always nice to see someone making use of all the abilities at their disposal.

I like the fact that you make use of Vanguard Flame thrower, so many people underestimate that ability in pvp.

Also I like the trooper pvp armor better then the BH pvp armor :(

Now, that I've actually watched the video...

For me the easiest way for me to know rail shot has reset is to listen for the "laugh".

I actually am fond of the new lighting system for hotkeys with 1.1.2. It makes it a lot easier then trying to look for the icon or a sound. Very noticeable when things reset.

Was kind of weird seeing it when I logged in today though. But I like it.

Edited by exphryl