Do you find GN system too expensive?

Dirtylobster

On my server (quite low pop) it is VERY hard to sell stuff at GN even at recommended value.

It rarely sell meaning you are unlikely to break even when creating stuff.

If you got something rare it is madness to put it out for say 500 000 because you cannot afford the fee if it is not sold! (Say for example orange belt and wrist with mad drop rate)

Would it not be better to lower the "taxes" and by that increase money flow?

I used the auction house in another big game that we do not mention and that did not cost an arm and a leg when putting out stuff for sale... In fact that system was quite nice compared.

Discuss (if you actually use GN, otherwise please refrain from posting!)

Well I haven't figured out the ratio between sell value & length of auction but I only put things up for 1 day anyway, for this its 13%.

The commission on a sale is 3%.

So if I put up a stack of 20 Mandalorian Iron at 9k each (180kcr) the deposit would be 23,400cr. If it sells (and they do on my sever at that price) I will get my 180kcr plus my deposit less the 3% commision (5,400cr).

End result 174,600cr (8,730cr each).

If you end the auction early you lose the deposit anyway so its only ever worth doing if you have put something up with a drastically low price and the deposit is lesser of two evils.

If you don't sell you get everything back including your full deposit.

If the commision is an effective moneysink as it affects those that can afford it based on their ability to earn.

The deposit is a fairly effective brake on massive inflation by discouraging people from putting up ludicrous prices on rare highly sought after items.

I don't think people are having fear of using the GN...They don't seem to understand proper prices for things to sell.

On my server, and your economy is going to most likely be different, I see things like Rank 22 Enhancements and Mods for 40-60k...Not sure why anyone in their right mind would pay these amounts, when they can get them from the dailies. And these aren't the less common Enhancements, I am talking Advanced Might Enhancement 22s and such. :confused:

Secondly, people just use the auto-price feature of the GN...Which puts everything at 450% of the vendor-sale value. Sorry, but anything that isn't a level 48-50 purple isn't worth more than 10k. I lol all the time when I see level 15 purples priced higher than level 45 blues... :D

And as far as the deposit goes, I have done the math, and I cannot recall a listing that didn't "charge" more than 1 credit for the fee mentioned in the in-game mail you get stating "Your item was bought..." Unless I am missing something here, it always seems to be a 1 credit loss for successful sales...

The deposit is a fairly effective brake on massive inflation by discouraging people from putting up ludicrous prices on rare highly sought after items.

Loosing the deposit if it does not sell, would even do that job better!

My experience.

Greens don't sell. Greens (and better) drop like flies or can be purchased from NPC's. Greens are the new white. They're vendor trash.

Blues and purples sell relatively well at default price. I'll put anything I find blue or purple up for sale at the default price for 2-4 days. Maybe it'll sell, maybe it won't.

RE'd blue and purple crafted stuff sells pretty well. By my guesstimate, increasing default price by ~50% is usually around 100% profit over cost of mats (from missions), and sells at just about the right speed. (purple & crits go for more) Obviously if it's selling too fast you can raise prices, selling too slow you can lower them. And of course dependant on competition on your server.

My experience.

Greens don't sell. Greens (and better) drop like flies or can be purchased from NPC's. Greens are the new white. They're vendor trash.

Blues and purples sell relatively well at default price. I'll put anything I find blue or purple up for sale at the default price for 2-4 days. Maybe it'll sell, maybe it won't.

RE'd blue and purple crafted stuff sells pretty well. By my guesstimate, increasing default price by ~50% is usually around 100% profit over cost of mats (from missions), and sells at just about the right speed. (purple & crits go for more) Obviously if it's selling too fast you can raise prices, selling too slow you can lower them. And of course dependant on competition on your server.

I do more-or-less the same : grey, white & green are all vendor trash for me too. Blues and purple are put up at default prices. If they don't sell during the week, I put thel up again atthe weekend. It's rare that I get purple or blues back on monday.

Crafted items are a whooole different story, ofcourse :)

You could always sell really expensive items over general chat on the fleet.

Don't encourage this garbage. If you're going to so something along these lines, do it in the trade chat. I don't need someone spamming LTS crap in general.

I don't seem to have the problems everybody else does with the GTN. I put up every green that drops which I don't need for a companion or myself, and I figure I sell at least 30% of them in short order. The others sell after a few 2-day posting cycles, or if I have higher-level stuff to sell which will make more money I just vendor them. Some stuff I always vendor, like the assault cannons that have Cunning on them. Blues usually go in no time flat. I always use the default prices. I'm not rolling in credits, but I was able to buy L2 Speeder training and three new speeders as soon as I dinged 40.

On my server (quite low pop) it is VERY hard to sell stuff at GN even at recommended value.

It rarely sell meaning you are unlikely to break even when creating stuff.

If you got something rare it is madness to put it out for say 500 000 because you cannot afford the fee if it is not sold! (Say for example orange belt and wrist with mad drop rate)

Would it not be better to lower the "taxes" and by that increase money flow?

I used the auction house in another big game that we do not mention and that did not cost an arm and a leg when putting out stuff for sale... In fact that system was quite nice compared.

Discuss (if you actually use GN, otherwise please refrain from posting!)

First of all, you put up a deposit when you put something on the GTN. If it doesn't sell at the end of the duration you specify, you get that deposit back. If it does sell, the GTN gets a 'cut', which is basically just money taken out of the system. TBH I'm not 100% sold on the fees system, but it's not horribly bad. It's certainly better than that other big game that we will not mention. You don't actually LOSE money from not selling items, it's just held in escrow for you until the item sells... or doesn't.

On my server, and your economy is going to most likely be different, I see things like Rank 22 Enhancements and Mods for 40-60k...Not sure why anyone in their right mind would pay these amounts, when they can get them from the dailies. And these aren't the less common Enhancements, I am talking Advanced Might Enhancement 22s and such. :confused:

Because those mods use 4 pieces of mandalorian iron (plus other mats) which sells easily for 8k-9k per piece of iron.

They can also be used at level 49. So, if you purchased them, you actually can use them for quite some time.

The people that sell them for the default price of 14175 are LOSING at a miniimum 20k credits.

I always look at three things when selling a blue or purple item.

• Lower level items of same qualities sale price
  • Same item sale price.
  • Higher level item sale price.

To break it down even further than that, if I am selling a level 25 blue I look at things between level 20 and 30.

If a blue level 23 item is selling for 5,000 credits, the same item is selling for 6,300 credits, and a blue level 27 item is selling for 7,000 credits, I'll sell my item for 6,000 credits.

This system works great for low to mid level items, but isn't particularly valuable for higher level items. I won't dive into selling higher level items on the GTN, because that is an entirely different beast, but with the steps I detailed above, I always see a huge gain in credits and rarely notice the loss accumulated by the sales tax.

There is no fee if your item expires.

When you list your item, the GTN takes a deposit roughly equal to 15% of your listing price. This is a good thing, in my opinion. It puts some of the seller's credits in the game. If they feel they have a truly valuable item, they will tie up their money to list it.

The really cool part of this is that it prevents sellers from listing trash at extremely high prices. Well, it prevents financially challenged sellers from doing that, anyway.

Anyway, if your item fails to sell, the GTN returns your item and 100% of the deposit you posted.

If your item sells, the GTN sends you your asking price + the listing fee - the commission, which seems to be right around 5% of your asking price. So the mail that you get for sold items contains 110% of your asking price, roughly.

I think the fees and math behind the GTN is brilliant. Limiting it to sales only (instead of auctions) means buyers get what they want when they want it. Keeping the listing fee a (high) percentage of the asking price limits tomfoolery. It's beautiful.

Now if only the search interface enabled me to search for what I truly wanted only - like Light armor, purple or better quality, level 49-50, with a Willpower buff > Endurance buff, for example.

Now if only the search interface enabled me to search for what I truly wanted only - like Light armor, purple or better quality, level 49-50, with a Willpower buff > Endurance buff, for example.

Same here, PLUS another query field so you can search by slot: Head, chest, off-hand, etc.

There is one greater purpose to the proc 13% deposit you place on items. BW/EA noticed things like WoW's economy where ppl corner the market by buying up ALL competitions items lower than their price. They then resell it at their price at lesser profit on that item but they single handed control the prices and profits of said items on their server.

Note 2nd tactic is if competitions places item very close to their price for long period and goes offline or isnt a AH junkie they will cancel all their items and undercut just alittle the competitions so they make all the sales and still decent profit.

SWTOR with high deposit being lost on relisting has eliminated effectiveness of profitability of people trying to control the 'market'.

Yes granted there will be those that have great influence as they are the major contributor to server's supply of X item. But then that's just normal economy and the market itself can still overcome even 1 major contributor trying to control prices.

Maybe it's just my server... but green items always seem to sell relatively well. I'd estimate that 80% of my green items sell on the GTN. I don't vendor them unless they expire.

There's always somebody looking to upgrade their companions. And while leveling up, it's really not worth it to purchase blue/purple items for companions that will quickly outgrow it.