Stop the AIM hate! (Aim based companion? Read this.)

Phydra

I agree with this oversight, and it should be rectified.

I'm not sure, though, that I characterize it as 'unfair'. Unfair implies intention. And like I said, I believe it was an oversight, and not any attempt to screw over AIM melee.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it's unfair to AIM melee.

Simple fix = release patch/fix to allow techblade companions, to use electro staff and/or vibro sword.

Actually, they do look similar.

I don't mind replace the mod of a current custom electro staff or vibro sword with AIM mods.

It seems then that Bounty Hunters had the big end of the stick and get saddled with 2 companions without moddable weapons (Torian and Skadge) Given I use Torian mainly as my DPS, me being a Powertech Tank and thus I bought him a lvl 49 epic Staff.

I would like to see Moddable weapons for him in the future.

There is a willpower saberstaff in HM Kaon thats clearly intended for Jaesa, or any of the other many willpower DPS companions. Its certainly not for assassins who cant use them with their lightsaber charges, so theres no reason they cant throw the rest of us a bone.

I'm not sure why companions need to be equal, to be viable.. As has been stated, you're not doing anything with them that requires them to be the best of the best.

One reason that they need to be equal to other companions is PVP. Otherwise you will be at a disadvantage to their stronger companion.

An easy solution would be to add some techstaffs (and techblades) to the PVP weapons vendor on the fleet.

I agree with this oversight, and it should be rectified.

I'm not sure, though, that I characterize it as 'unfair'. Unfair implies intention. And like I said, I believe it was an oversight, and not any attempt to screw over AIM melee.

Intentional or not the resulting situation is unfair, accidental circumstances can indeed result in unfair conditions.

People actually use the pets at end game? Havent used mine since I stopped grinding Ilum /shrug

And no, I hate the pets and the entire requirement to use them just so my "hero" can survive the usual encounter. We should be moving to removing them or making them unnecessary ... not give them better weapons.

silly OP, for melee companions str = aim since their abilities get equal benefit from them, only their tech only abilities (they have like 1 aoe?) using aim, the rest use aim or str since str = melee stat. so if you did find a moddable weapon you could put in a str hilt just like all the merecenary companions that use cunning end up with aim blasters endgame as only one of their abilities uses cunning and the rest use cunning or aim equally. there should really be a companion guide written by someone somewhere that explains this.

This has been discussed before. You can get crafted tech melee weapons from armscrafting. My aim based companion that isn't on your list, Akaavi Spar is using a level 50 crafted artifact techblade. BW could easily add orange techblades & techstaves and make them take barrels instead of hilts.

silly OP, for melee companions str = aim since their abilities get equal benefit from them, only their tech only abilities (they have like 1 aoe?) using aim, the rest use aim or str since str = melee stat. so if you did find a moddable weapon you could put in a str hilt just like all the merecenary companions that use cunning end up with aim blasters endgame as only one of their abilities uses cunning and the rest use cunning or aim equally. there should really be a companion guide written by someone somewhere that explains this.

Silly you, there are no moddable techblades or techstaves which is exactly the point.

Akaavi Spar. Yes, she could use a strength techblade/staff, but A LOT of what she does comes from her tech abilities. Giving her strength items would not even come close to what aim can do for her.

There are SO many people here who can't see the forest for the trees. Just because companions become less important at 50 and just because you can use companions other than the aim melee ones DOES NOT mean that the scarcity of certain items isn't an issue--it IS an issue. It is an issue that a company like Bioware should be embarrassed of because it was so easy to avoid in the first place, but Bioware insisted on somewhat last minute changes to how stats function, what items characters could use, and they have not yet changed the itemization of the game to match those changes (+shield rating on a shotgun/knife, anyone?).

Edited by Analogy

BW could easily add orange techblades & techstaves and make them take barrels instead of hilts.

Here's hoping they do, in fact, do this. I know, I know, it's kind of silly to have a melee weapons with a barrel. OTOH, isn't it just as silly to use AIM for melee attacks?

This thread makes me sad for two reasons.

First, it confirms that there are no moddable techstaffs. My doubts made me look it up and find this thread.

Secondly, the ignorance of people who think their way of playing an MMO is the only viable (and enjoyable).

I'm using Akaavi Spar as my tank now, because I have Cybertech, Underworld Trading and Scavenging, which makes Corso (UT efficiency bonus) and the Wookie (Cybertech crit bonus and Scavenging efficiency bonus) the perfect crafting duo. So they're often busy with hour-long crafting or gathering missions and not available as active companions. (Even if they were, Akaavi's abilities are preferable over Corso's and I just can't stand the Wookie. I'm sorry, but I can't.)

So I want to be able to equip Akaavi to the same level I can equip my other companions, but I can't. For no apparent reason other than blatant oversight.

Edited by KyaniteD

It is not like it would take a major rewriting of the game to fix this. Simply adding a couple of new items to a vendor or two on each side is all that would needed.

Add an orange level 40 +Aim techstaff to the PVP Weapons Vendor and I would be happy. Perhaps add a non-PVP one to the weapons vendor on Voss or Belsavis. Do the same thing with techblades and you are done.

EDIT: The real questions are "how hard is it to create a new item in the game and place it on a vendor?" (I expect it is the artwork that takes most of the time) and "how important is this compared to other features/bugfixes under development by the people that make items"?

Edited by sjmc

I have utilized Akaavi quite a bit. There is a blue staff on Belsavis as part of the regular missions that gets you by until Ilum's 'Open Communications' daily 4 person Heroic and the pretty good staff for her.

If you armor her up well I find her techniques to be pretty effective. she is not as weapon-reliant as Bowdaar or Risha in my experience. Don't be shy, just be ready to fall back of break line of sight form enemies while she finishes them off and you should do ok. I do have a more mobile 'on your toes' playstyle with Akaavi, but she is my favorite companion even if I have to pull out Guss for the really damaging bosses in a small room.

Havent had much trouble with aim shields myself, especially later on (Balmorra onwards).

They really should add a moddable aim weapon (+needed mods) for these companions affected. Not using them much myself, but would be only fair for those who do.