The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Abilities I can remove form my hotbars?

Boonah

Hi all,

I'm playing Powertech and am having a lot of fun. i do ok in pvp and am always popular in pve! everyone loves a tank right?

Anyway, i start to struggle with keybinds at about 20. So im looking to start losing useless abilities.

for example i think flame burst and missile blast deliver poor damage for the heat they generate.

What abilities do you think i can get rid of? are there abilities you dont use yourself?

any help is welcome. as i really need to control how many binds i have.

Thanks in advance

Ah im getting confused, its flame sweep i think isnt very good.

i just use the following keys

1,2,3,4,5,q,e,r,t,f,c,x,t

mouse buttons x6 - that gives me 19 in total.

after that my brain starts to get addled. hence why im trying to lose some abilities. All abilities such as cylinders or buffs i have on a side bar and click prior to combat.

Edited by Boonah

I can't really recommend any abilities to get rid of as I use almost all of them even Missle Blast. Missile Blast makes a nice rescue ability when trying to prevent groups of people from activating an objective.

I can however recommend a few extra keybindings but Im not sure if that will help you.

shift + 1, 2, 3, 4

Shift + W,A,S,D,E,Q

Don't know if you already have that setup but none of those keys are hard to activate while still fighting. You may have slight delays in movement or may accidentally activate them until you get use to it.

Shift + W is particularly useful for "charge" abilities. I would have Rocket Jump on it but I got so use to Rocket Fist being on it that I just switching to ctrl + w for Rocket Jump.

Shift + A is my Neural Dart and Shift + S is my Kolto Overload. Shift + D is Oil Slick. All of these abilities besides Rocket Fist are used in specific situations and thus lower the amount of times I actually have to use them.

Again I don't know if this will even help you as you said you get overloaded by additional keybinds but I recommend trying to get use to it. The only ability I don't regularly use is the Heroic Moment. Other than the buffs and canisters obviously.

Good luck.

You can drop shoulder slam completely.

Missile blast can go for most people too, not worth the heat. Has its uses in pvp to finish peple and in solo pve for the knockdown on weak.

Flame sweep can go if you aren't tanking.

Stealth scan can go if you don't pvp.

You might get away with unbinding Unload and just clicking it.

Not worth using when tanking cause of the pushback when you get hit and generally not used often as pyro.

When (if) macros come in then you'll free up keybinds as well. TSO will be auto macroed to the expensive abilities and you will be able to put explosive fuel, damage trinket and stim on one key.

Flame Sweep is amazing in pvp. Specifically in Void Star and has its uses in Civil War and some minor uses in Hutt Ball. Especially if it is talented stacking 4% damage debuffs on everyone around you is very nice plus the ability to just chain AoE everyone from capping a point. I am sure there are many a team frustrated by me just standing by the door while they try and cap it spamming Flame Sweep.

But it really is personal preference I suppose.

I guess flame sweep and missile blast can do the same job of interrupting, missible blast is probably better as its from range.

Thanks for the Shift + W tip - just changed charge to that and its easy to adapt to

Flame Sweep is amazing in pvp. Specifically in Void Star and has its uses in Civil War and some minor uses in Hutt Ball. Especially if it is talented stacking 4% damage debuffs on everyone around you is very nice plus the ability to just chain AoE everyone from capping a point. I am sure there are many a team frustrated by me just standing by the door while they try and cap it spamming Flame Sweep.

But it really is personal preference I suppose.

Flame sweep is better if you are fully tank specced.

Otherwise you are probably better just dotting everyone with IM (since dots interupt), or for an aoe interupt use missile blast for the range.

I have it bound but it only finds real use as something to spam when you are about to die to a bunch of people.

Find ten awesome keybinds that work for you personally. Dont copy anyone, do you. After that, use the same binds with shift and then control. Youve got 30 keybinds right there.

Any game that requires 30 key binds has way too many abilities. Any player that requires 30 key binds needs to learn their class better.

Any game that requires 30 key binds has way too many abilities. Any player that requires 30 key binds needs to learn their class better.

To this day I don't get why people can't grasp the idea of user-friendliness. It's not "dumbing down" the experience; it just makes the experience more intuitive so the difficulty can lie in the process as opposed to in the toolset.

I'd like if combat was actually difficult and required intelligent use and synergy of 10 abilities over having to micromanage 30 different cooldowns just to beat down a monster with 5x my HP pool.

Thanks for putting your post out there. It sucks being alone on a given stance.

Edited by Mapex

How the hell does using every single ability at your disposal make you a worse player? That makes absolutely zero sense.

edit: I should say that I use a solid 32 combat keybinds including stims/relics/hutball/sprint. Here's a pic: http://i.imgur.com/ZD57D.jpg

Edited by Umpire

since it sounds like you use esdf to move dont forget that you have 'g' and 't' right next to those buttons.

i personally do 1-6, shift 1-6, Q, A, Z, W, G, T, and shift+Q, shift+A, Shift+Z, shift+W, shift+G, shift+T.

For mount and other things I'll use ` and ~ and shift+` and shift+~

Mouse buttons (only 3) I have synced to health stims (1 pvp, 1 pve) and the expertise stim (for pvp) and each button is also sync'd with shift for various grenades (cybertech so I have an AoE fire grenade, a 4 sec stun grenade and a 15% slower movement speed grenade.

So i use about 30 total.

I don't hot key shoulder slam and I don't hot key unload. Maybe I'm playing my class wrong, but I just never use Unload when I'm tanking or pvping preferring to keep a moving.

If flame sweep isn't talented and you're just using it to interrupt people capping a point/bombing a door, you could take that off your bar to click. Maybe flame burst too.

When I've played other games that required one or two additional buttons I would key up alt+1-6. But needing that many just isn't necessary most times.

It takes a lot of practice using this many key bindings. 5 years of the same key bind set up in other MMO's has my muscle memory so commited when I play a WSAD game I am thrown off pretty bad.

EDIT: Forgot to mention relics/huttball are included in my bindings

Edited by Waterostrich

How the hell does using every single ability at your disposal make you a worse player? That makes absolutely zero sense.

edit: I should say that I use a solid 32 combat keybinds including stims/relics/hutball/sprint. Here's a pic: http://i.imgur.com/ZD57D.jpg

Although people seem to epeen the amount of keybinds they use....I think your heading that way in this post....you need to look at most user friendly design. The honest answer is that less is better. Every key bound just isnt needed and doesnt actually make you better over anyone else. Well done though 32 is AWESOME! :)

fact of the matter is some classes can do amazingly well with just 3 keys bound. why bind 30? It makes u feel pro? I think someone has some serious inferiority issues if they are competing with the internet over keybinds. try save the Whales or something :)

Same old ******** from clickers defending their play style. No you cant react as fast with the mouse as people who bind their keys, is viable but it is not as good you dont have to defend it.

Even i was a clicker at start but after 10 years of MMOing you learn to maximize your play style making you and your char as one. It takes time but it will get better and it is just ignorant to not want to be able to learn something new.

It is like driving a car with one hand, sure it works but not as good as with two hands.

(oh sorry guess most here is americans and dont use the sticks to change gear so maby it was a bad exempel.)

Although people seem to epeen the amount of keybinds they use....I think your heading that way in this post....you need to look at most user friendly design. The honest answer is that less is better. Every key bound just isnt needed and doesnt actually make you better over anyone else. Well done though 32 is AWESOME! :)

fact of the matter is some classes can do amazingly well with just 3 keys bound. why bind 30? It makes u feel pro? I think someone has some serious inferiority issues if they are competing with the internet over keybinds. try save the Whales or something :)

Not epeen at all, just tryin to help people out. 32 keybinds is kinda how it works. I have some silly things keybounded just for convenience (stims/mounts) but I didn't count those when I said 32. The thing with these games (mmos) is that your abilities are all very situational. Thats what makes these games interesting; there are tons of abilities and tons of counters. I don't mean to come off arrogant in any sense of the word but if you're looking for less abilities this might not be the genre for you :\

Edited by Umpire

Flame sweep has its places in PVP, too, not just tanking. It's good for disrupting multiple people from claiming objectives, and he did make it clear that he PVPs.

I'd just like to ask something about this. It was my impression that Flame Sweep did *not* interrupt people from planting bombs. Or is it the tick damage from being on fire that interrupts?

you are definately behind the 8 ball if you're a clicker. you will never i repeat never be as good as a player as a clicker than someone who has abilities key bound.

i dont care what you say, you will never be as good and be able to react as fast. if you want to maximize your playing ability you need to give up on clicking and start keybinding. it is not hard. i know some of you old dogs dont like new tricks but you will be at a dissadvatage if you dont start keybinding.

I'd just like to ask something about this. It was my impression that Flame Sweep did *not* interrupt people from planting bombs. Or is it the tick damage from being on fire that interrupts?

As someone who has held a door solo while waiting for respawns, it definitely interrupts.

The only ability that I don't have bound is shoulder slam, because it is effing worthless.