Vannila WoW vs SWTOR

Mortalha

You can't compare vanilla wow to swtor, you can only compare Cata WoW to swtor, why? Because the current market is the only thing that matters.

For example: If I released a cell phone right would you compare it to the first iphone that came out, or the the iphone 4s, regardless if it is my first phone release or not. I bet everyone would compare it with the phones out on the market right now and not from 7 years ago.

If anything swtor should be way better then wow because wow is 7 years old.

so stop comparing things that are from different time. By your logic the Xbox 360 is way better then the PS3 because you can only compare the Xbox 360 to the PS2 because Microsoft has only had 2 system iterations while Sony has had 3 (PS 1, 2, and 3 vs. xbox and xbox 360).

Compare your game, tech, etc to the market and not to the dawn of time.

Edited by samht

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW had night and day.

Weather.

Music all the time.

Critters.

Mobs patrolling.

Lots of crafting materials to farm... consumables. Made you walk in the world. Since herbs for many kind of potions, Felwood consumables in an awsome ambient music etc. You even had fish to get in the RL winter and summer etc

Dungeons... you had to move in the world, travel.. find enemies.

No silly loads.

Well wow didnt had much. But it had immersion with bad graphics but with good colour, music and ambients.

SWTOR got nothing of this in 2012 and it still fails at other "simple" important stuff.... like good coding.

I bet Bioware started to dev this game by making story and maps. Then added the rest.

A sloppy combat system, sloppy world, sloppy weather... sloppy wild life. Sloppy NPC's.

Crap travel system.

This game is inferior to vanilla wow... just got better graphics.

No.. I don't play wow for many years. I'm just comparing 2 diferent vanilla flavours and I think I prefer the original version.

I've never said this before... but... can I have your stuff ?

------------------------------------> Stormwind thatta way

WoW had night and day.

Weather.

Music all the time.

Critters.

Mobs patrolling.

Lots of crafting materials to farm... consumables. Made you walk in the world. Since herbs for many kind of potions, Felwood consumables in an awsome ambient music etc. You even had fish to get in the RL winter and summer etc

No silly loads.

Well wow didnt had much. But it had immersion with bad graphics but with good colour, music and ambients.

SWTOR got nothing of this in 2012 and it still fails at other "simple" important stuff.... like good coding.

I bet Bioware started to dev this game by making story and maps. Then added the rest.

A sloppy combat system, sloppy world, sloppy weather... sloppy wild life. Sloppy NPC's.

Crap travel system.

No.. I don't play wow for many years. I'm just comparing 2 diferent vanilla flavours and I think I prefer the original version.

oh god...

That is 7 years of development, polish, bug fixes and content patches. Oh and 3 expansions.

Of course a game with that much time and money thrown at it will have more then one with less.

WoW 4-5 years of development and has been live for 7 years.

TOR 5 years of development and been live for less then 2 months.

You can't compare vanilla wow to swtor, you can only compare Cata WoW to swtor, why? Because the current market is the only thing that matters.

For example: If I released a cell phone right would you compare it to the first iphone that came out, or the the iphone 4s, regardless if it is my first phone release or not. I bet everyone would compare it with the phones out on the market right now and not from 7 years ago.

so stop comparing things that are from different time. By your logic the Xbox 360 is way better then the PS3 because you can only compare the Xbox 360 to the PS2 because Microsoft has only had 2 system iterations while Sony has had 3 (PS 1, 2, and 3 vs. xbox and xbox 360).

Exactly this.U just cant compare a 2004 game with a 2012 one.Ppl are just dumb and biased.

I play swtor for like 2 weeks now,it's a good and fun game so far,but there are many things that are totally unacceptable.

Exactly this.U just cant compare a 2004 game with a 2012 one.Ppl are just dumb and biased.

I play swtor for like 2 weeks now,it's a good and fun game so far,but there are many things that are totally unacceptable.

It shipped with Onyxia and Molten Core. They were just actually challenging and people had to gear up in dungeons. They weren't cleared by fresh 60s in greens.

true. why ppl say there was only Upper BRS? UBRS was the prequisite for Molten Core.

Ppl were raiding MC before the first month ticked although most guilds didnt finish it untill later, it was harder.

Lets face it, WoW did introduce all these nice things we see in modern games. The genre got stale, that certain. But you shouldnt let your feeling be the judge which game was better at launch, because WoW wasnt.

I remember more bugs like ppl getting stuck or DCed endlessly on Zepellins. Bugs in Dire Maul (Ogre complex?) but you could get drunk in there, was fun.

Basically what wow did best, you could do things like getting drunk, easier to raid enemy cities. fishing (which was cool) and well some minor other innovations. WoW was full of innovations that other games adopted and adapted to their systems.

But no, WoW had much less content at launch, be it questing (which is nowhere close to SWTOR), wazones, and endgame and options.

Actually, people weren't max level a month after release.

And, a month after SWTOR there is absolutely nothing to do, considering PvP is terrible and forming groups for flashpoints and operations is sketchy at best (depending on your server or time of day you can play).

Meh maybe if your not on one of the 50-60 heavy servers during peak hours.

Plus there are a ton of standard servers that fluctuate back and forth beyond that. You have to remember they doubled the max server population about 2 weeks after launch so a full server at launch would be a standard server now. Plus standard is a huge population bracket mid afternoon my server was standard and there were 150 ppl on republic fleet and i had no issues finding a hard mode group. Places like coruscant also had around 100 or so people.

Actually WoW had alot todo in vanilla and it took me longer to actually level up.

I dont really care what people say or think about the matter as it's personal to a certain degree.

But WoW was more open, the world felt more "real" with vast open and connected zones, dungeons in the wild to explore, ambience and wildlife, lots of small cult references (the chef in booty bay from the steven segal movie etc etc).

WoW for me was my first "epic" moment in a mmo, I got drawn in by the charm, the humor and the option (comming from EQ, Anarchy Online and abit of Ultima Online), it was accesible and fun.

As far as end game goes, it didnt have _THAT_ many things to begin with, Molten Core and Onyxia, but it did take some time for the majority to clear those, other then that strat/scholo and BRS was the only other options, but for some reason it didnt matter, we did those, we farmed mats, we did the reputation grind, we where proud of our mounts.

I remeber alot more of my WoW days then of my TOR days, everything from my first deadmines run to our first crossroads raid, I got screenshots from my first view of Ragnaros, wearing a mix of blue gear and green gear, warrior tank, I was actually proud!

This is soemthing I feel TOR lacks, I'm enjoying it, but not the same way.

And I thinkg the comunity has changed, for both WoW and TOR, back then we where more social and toghether with things, the last year in wow was different and in TOR I'm playing with my wife and our two companions (we are level 29 now) and we are doing Mandalorian Raiders without anyone else, practical but it's starting to feel abit like a coop game and not a MMO.

Hopefully things will change and the game will get the depth and imersion to keep us interested! (or else there might be some kung fu panda action later!)

Vanilla WoW had novelty when it came to gameplay, even if it borrowed stuff from other games, they made something different. SWTOR only brought some voiceover (which is obsolete at end-game) and gameplay-wise, it copied the same thing people got tired of in 7 years.

Actually WoW had alot todo in vanilla and it took me longer to actually level up.

I dont really care what people say or think about the matter as it's personal to a certain degree.

But WoW was more open, the world felt more "real" with vast open and connected zones, dungeons in the wild to explore, ambience and wildlife, lots of small cult references (the chef in booty bay from the steven segal movie etc etc).

WoW for me was my first "epic" moment in a mmo, I got drawn in by the charm, the humor and the option (comming from EQ, Anarchy Online and abit of Ultima Online), it was accesible and fun.

As far as end game goes, it didnt have _THAT_ many things to begin with, Molten Core and Onyxia, but it did take some time for the majority to clear those, other then that strat/scholo and BRS was the only other options, but for some reason it didnt matter, we did those, we farmed mats, we did the reputation grind, we where proud of our mounts.

I remeber alot more of my WoW days then of my TOR days, everything from my first deadmines run to our first crossroads raid, I got screenshots from my first view of Ragnaros, wearing a mix of blue gear and green gear, warrior tank, I was actually proud!

This is soemthing I feel TOR lacks, I'm enjoying it, but not the same way.

And I thinkg the comunity has changed, for both WoW and TOR, back then we where more social and toghether with things, the last year in wow was different and in TOR I'm playing with my wife and our two companions (we are level 29 now) and we are doing Mandalorian Raiders without anyone else, practical but it's starting to feel abit like a coop game and not a MMO.

Hopefully things will change and the game will get the depth and imersion to keep us interested! (or else there might be some kung fu panda action later!)

Its easy to make wow feel like a connected world because its all on the same world.

SWTOR for me has:

Fight music that actually kicks in on a boss fight. Subjective fluff but I love it

Branching storyline. Jaesa Wilsaam from SW story. I loved it.

Orange gear. I can actually keep upgrading my gear through armor patches and mods.

Companions. Much better than any pet system I've seen as far as AI and customization.

Guss Tuno. He heals with his Jedi powers.

Dirty kick. Enough said...

A space mini game. Yes, it's a mini-game, not a full-on x-wing simulator. It's a fun mini-game.

SWTOR for me does not have:

Gnomes. Enough said...

Talking cows. Moo, are you happy now?

Trade Chat. global barrens

Completely useless talent trees. hi prot paladins, feral druids, balance druids

QFT

These WoW fanboys are out of control imo. It's like people expect that in a brand new, set-to-be-ever-evolving MMO, everything is going to be EXACTLY they way THEY want it right at release.

Yeah sure, BW probably rushed release a little bit to hit the Xmas market. Whatever. Smart move financially? Probably. Never ending stream of whiners because it isn't a perfect SEVEN YEAR LATER WoW-clone? Get over it. The game JUST came out. Give BW a bloody break and let them work on it. EVERY game has bugs, folks. Move on to the next mission and worry about it later. Your pretty purple or daily commendation isn't going anywhere.

No MMO is ever perfect. Why people assume this one is going to be is beyond me. Vanilla WoW was a damn joke compared to the level BW has attained with this game.

Vanilla WoW had novelty when it came to gameplay, even if it borrowed stuff from other games, they made something different. SWTOR only brought some voiceover (which is obsolete at end-game) and gameplay-wise, it copied the same thing people got tired of in 7 years.

Salut si Noroc! Good call on what going on.

All I can say is WoW was **** in the first year, got good and started failing after the release of WOTLK, then they brought out Cataclysm which was a epic fail and now they announce a shocking looking xpansion called Mists of Panderia with kung-fu Pandas(and im not basing that in the movie, they are actually pandas that use kung-fu) and no explained direction of the xpansion. In fact theres been really no direction since cataclysm its been all ova the show. Ive stuck through WoW in its hardtimes but now blizzard is just taking the piss. One the other hand SWTOR has been out for a Month and a bit and it supersedes all MMO's That have been release By about 10 months so I think they done well to polish the game before release which keeps people involve in game time not downtime and you give this game a year and its gonna take off like you've never seen before

All of that is your opinion, many people couldn't care less about day/night and weather differences and it really doesn't make the quality of the game.

Those are the people who are content to spend every waking moment running laps in the fleet.

Me, I want to see what Tatooine looks like at night.

WoW had night and day.

Weather.

Music all the time.

Critters.

Mobs patrolling.

No silly loads.

Crap travel system.

I dont disagree but lets keep our facts straight:

*wow weather was released over a year after game launch (2006 storms of azeroth patch, game was launched 2004 )

*night and day cycle: Is an contended issue, personally i hate night and day and so does alot of other players while equallymany players want it. Night and day in mmo's has been a fail in every singel mmo other than conans first 20 levels and you have to look to fable or morrowind+ for an actual good night and day cycle, just turning the screen dark and nothing else is pure fail and actually ruins the game more than it adds immersion wise anyway "2am ? ofcourse my fruit store is open!"

*You can adjust your music frequensy in star wars so if you want it constantly you can

*mobs and critters: Both games are extremly similar, they both have about the same number of patrolling mobs and there is enough critters to make sense (never did understand 29394949 squirrels in an area with giant spiders...) In this respect i think both is pretty dam similar OTHER than wow provided us with more yellow patrolling mobs (aka kodos, deer herds etc)

Me, I want to see what Tatooine looks like at night.

Nice!

Down the line, I would like to see that too. Or one MFer of a sandstorm roll in. I'm patient enough that I am content to wait for it to be patched in at a later date.

WoW had night and day.

Weather.

Music all the time.

Critters.

Mobs patrolling.

No silly loads.

Crap travel system.

You must not of been there for wow release, let me some it up for you

WoW had umm...fishing, and I remember a few quest mobs stuck in random trees that had an evade bug, oh yeah and so much down time that they had to actually give out 3-4 days of free game time, oh and don't forget server roll backs and a completely broken economy.

Like I said you must not have been there for wow release.

WoW travel... ahem...

*sings*

I been runnin' through the Barrens,

All the live long day!

Just to pass the time away

*15 minutes pass*

Here you go Mr.Goblin, 25 boar hearts (*note* 1 in 20 drop rate)

<Mr.Goblin> Thank you priest, here is a sword with +2 str on it! Now go get me 50 raptor hearts from that lagoon back where you were 15 minutes ago!

*sings*

All the live long day!

Just to pass the time away

Yeah... travel and questing in vanilla WoW was soooooo much better.

I got a question for all you "open world" whiners... how much of the "open world" in wow do you actually use? I highly doubt you use more then 10-20% of each zone to level up... I can level a character up in WoW to max level in under 4 days total time... I barly use 5% of each zone, infact I know alot of players no longer even use the open world or leveling zones they just que for BG's and Dungeons to level, they do nothing, the zone's in Swtor may seem linear but the truth is you have a reason to travel all thru the zone's and i'd have to say the zone's are as big if not larger then WoW zones

+1000000000 points to you for truth. I'm not a WoW basher and blind SWTOR fanboy but this is a great point. I'd argue the level of immersion in SWTOR is much higher because of the way the questing and progression is setup.