SSDs [ Solid state Drives]

swiftdh

ok so i was thinking of buying myself a nice new SSD for TOR and my other games and i came across OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS or OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - AGT3-25SAT3-120G i choose that 1 because i dont need alot of space and its in my price range. 3 of the reviews say its a great drive but some people just like to leave fake reviews so i dont always trust them.

unfortunally i have no idea what the differance is between a SSD and a normal HDD except the that SSDs are alot smaller in capacity and more exspensive.

also are the SSD 3.5" like regular 3.5" HDDs so i dont need anything special to fit it into my HAF 932 Case

kinda a 1st time buyer for SSD and just trying to get as much info as possible for it.

sry for the nubness :p

Edited by swiftdh

Don't but SSDs based on price. Quality does play a role with longevity with them and you pay for that quality. Intel makes really good SSDs.

Generally they help load times within games. That does not seem to be the case in SWTOR. I saw improvements in other games, however I still get long load screens whenever I am leaving my ship on a planet.

They are a lot more expensive as they are totally digital and are the biz.

A normal harddrive is a magnetic disk with a needle reader that is just about it, this moves over the disk as it spins to read and write the data,

SSD is totally electronic, your data is stored on essentially writeable RAM , but it isnt lost when the power is switched off.

The above is written by me , who just abhout knows what a SSD is.

Give it another couple of years and the price will be just like a standard HDD is today.

Does anyone know if you still have to defrag an SSD ?

Edited by Urko

ok so i was thinking of buying myself a nice new SSD for TOR and my other games and i came across OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS i choose that 1 because i dont need alot of space and its in my price range. 3 of the reviews say its a great drive but some people just like to leave fake reviews so i dont always trust them.

unfortunally i have no idea what the differance is between a SSD and a normal HDD except the that SSDs are alot smaller in capacity and more exspensive.

also are the SSD 3.5" like regular 3.5" HDDs so i dont need anything special to fit it into my HAF 932 Case

kinda a 1st time buyer for SSD and just trying to get as much info as possible for it.

SSD's don't have any moving parts unlike mechanical HDD's. This allows the read/write operations to go much faster. Fragmentation is also not an issue, since the SSD won't care where something is stored. Also, because SSD's don't have moving parts, they consume less power.

The potential downside is that if you don't have a SSD with garbage collection and an OS with TRIM support (ie Windows 7), the drive will start to bog down because it isn't erasing the blocks that contain old data properly.

My guild leader has a 90GB SSD, and it is telling us how much faster Windows is to boot up: It takes longer for the BIOS to finish than Windows takes to finish loading.

ok so i was thinking of buying myself a nice new SSD for TOR and my other games and i came across OCZ 120GB Vertex 2 SSD 3.5" SATA-II Read = 285MB/s, Write = 275MB/s 50,000 IOPS or OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD - AGT3-25SAT3-120G i choose that 1 because i dont need alot of space and its in my price range. 3 of the reviews say its a great drive but some people just like to leave fake reviews so i dont always trust them.

Be warned, do your homework. OCZ are the WORST on the planet. there are thousands of complaints about them an total stonewalling from OCZ themselves.

best are by miles, Corsair drives. Simply put the Superior to any other SSD.

They are a lot more expensive as they are totally digital and are the biz.

A normal harddrive is a magnetic disk with a needle reader that is just about it, this moves over the disk as it spins to read and write the data,

SSD is totally electronic, your data is stored on essentially writeable RAM , but it isnt lost when the power is switched off.

The above is written by me , who just abhout knows what a SSD is.

Give it another couple of years and the price will be just like a standard HDD is today.

Does anyone know if you still have to defrag an SSD ?

NEVER defrag a SSD. You will ruin it.

Hi there,

I have the OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD you linked and i can tell you that it's mind-blowing fast.

WARNING: Make sure your motherboard supports SATA 3(III), because then you will have 550mb/s read and 500mb/s write instead of 280mb/s read 260mb/s write(on SATA 2). It won't be a problem to use it on Sata 2 but you will lose a lot of performance.

BTW, seeing as you know nothing of SSDs i will simply put it this way: You FPS will not improve, only your loading times. Nothing else. Yes, your windows will load faster(if you install it on the SSD) and everything else you put on it will load very fast but in general you will see no other improvement. :)

Edited by defyyy

Be warned, do your homework. OCZ are the WORST on the planet. there are thousands of complaints about them an total stonewalling from OCZ themselves.

What are you smoking? OCZ makes damn nice ssd drives. I have 1 sata II and 1 sata III ocz ssd and they are blazingly fast and reliable. I get 400+ mb/s writing and reading speeds easily. Can pretty much say that price/quality ratio of ocz drives are better than any other maker.

Hi there,

I have the OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD you linked and i can tell you that it's mind-blowing fast.

WARNING: Make sure your motherboard supports SATA 3(III), because then you will have 550mb/s read and 500mb/s write instead of 280mb/s read 260mb/s write(on SATA 2). It won't be a problem to use it on Sata 2 but you will lose a lot of performance.

BTW, seeing as you know nothing of SSDs i will simply put it this way: You FPS will not improve, only your loading times. Nothing else. Yes, your windows will load faster(if you install it on the SSD) and everything else you put on it will load very fast but in general you will see no other improvement. :)

the motherboard i have is MSI P55-GD85 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard. but the website i got it from doesnt display any info on it and i cant remmber where i put the box etc lol

the motherboard i have is MSI P55-GD85 P55 Socket 1156 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard. but the website i got it from doesnt display any info on it and i cant remmber where i put the box etc lol

SATA 3 ports didn't start getting added to Intel chipsets until the Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155) processors came out. You have a 1st generation Core series processor, so you only have SATA 2. Thankfully, SATA 3 drives are backwards compatible. :)

SATA 3 ports didn't start getting added to Intel chipsets until the Sandy Bridge (LGA 1155) processors came out. You have a 1st generation Core series processor, so you only have SATA 2. Thankfully, SATA 3 drives are backwards compatible. :)

acording to http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1219/1/ & http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/P55-GD85.html

i have

[sATA]

1 x SATA

1 x eSATA/USB combo (back panel)

2 x SATAIII

6 x SATA II

Intel P55 integrated SATA II controller

Intel P55/Marvell SE9128/JMicron 363 integrated SATA II/III controller

JMicron 363 integrated SATA controller

Marvell SE9128 integrated SATA III controller

Up to 3Gb/s

Up to 6Gb/s

so does that mean im able to run sata 3 ?

Edited by swiftdh

Nah, I have had several SSD's over 2+ years now OCZ, Corsair and Intel and they work good, one (out of 5) from OCZ actually did fail but who cares you get a new one from the warranty, assuming you live in a country with reasonable consumer protection.

The failure rates are:

Intel 0,59%

Corsair 2,17%

Crucial 2,25%

Kingston 2,39%

OCZ 2,93%

So while the best is a few percent better than the worst, that's not very significant for most people considering the low rate to start with.

I've done extensive research on these things and just keep a backup on important data and you're golden. For encrypted and non-compressible data I use Corsair Performance Pro model, in my laptop and the ones I've installed for others I use Intel (320 security model), for fastest "compressible" read/write I use OCZ like for games temp stuff and such.

OCZ got very reasonable price/size/performance ratio so I'd recommend the latest Vertex 3 for kick *** disk or maybe Agility if you're cheap. Intel if you're paranoid about losing data.

Nah, I have had several SSD's over 2+ years now OCZ, Corsair and Intel and they work good, one (out of 5) from OCZ actually did fail but who cares you get a new one from the warranty, assuming you live in a country with reasonable consumer protection.

The failure rates are:

Intel 0,59%

Corsair 2,17%

Crucial 2,25%

Kingston 2,39%

OCZ 2,93%

OCZ got very reasonable price/size/performance ratio so I'd recommend the latest Vertex 3 for kick *** disk or maybe Agility if you're cheap. Intel if you're paranoid about losing data.

lol im defo not cheap. but im a jobless student so i gotta go for the best / affortable for me atm.

and there is no " vertex 3 " 3.5" theyre all 2.5" ( which iff im not mistaken is for laptops )

you should use sata 3 SSD OCZ, or check actual speed ratings -- or a caviar black will be just as fast if you go sata 2. IMO 2 caviar blacks stripped will be just about as fast and you will get way more GB/$. just a bit reduced reliabillity.

lol im defo not cheap. but im a jobless student so i gotta go for the best / affortable for me atm.

and there is no " vertex 3 " 3.5" theyre all 2.5" ( which iff im not mistaken is for laptops )

SSDs are generally 2.5", but they also generally come with a mounting bracket/adapter in order to install them in a 3.5" bay.

SSDs are generally 2.5", but they also generally come with a mounting bracket/adapter in order to install them in a 3.5" bay.

ahh makes sence lol.

so after reading everyones posts ( thank you all for your input )

im gonna go with

http://www.ebuyer.com/259774-ocz-120gb-vertex-3-ssd-2-5-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-550mb-s-write-500mb-s-vtx3-25sat3-120g

Edited by swiftdh

What are you smoking? OCZ makes damn nice ssd drives. I have 1 sata II and 1 sata III ocz ssd and they are blazingly fast and reliable. I get 400+ mb/s writing and reading speeds easily. Can pretty much say that price/quality ratio of ocz drives are better than any other maker.

Online reviews do refute that. I did a lot of research before buying mine. And while not every OCZ will be bad, it had one of the highest breakdown percentages of SSDs on the market. I'd rather pay a little more and get a brand that has a much lower chance.

Online reviews do refute that. I did a lot of research before buying mine. And while not every OCZ will be bad, it had one of the highest breakdown percentages of SSDs on the market. I'd rather pay a little more and get a brand that has a much lower chance.

That might be true. But ocz drives do generally have faster transfer rates than same size other brand ssd's. Also as they generally are also cheaper so you can get 2 on raid easily and can forget about data loss. Also ocz drives come with at least 5 year warranty on here so you can easily RMA one if it happens to break for some reason. My older ocz drive is 3+ years old now and no probs at all.