Too Many Abilities?

creechuur

Seriously, I have never played an MMO (or any game) that gave me so many damn abilities. By the time your character is in the mid-30's you have 2 action bars filled. I have no idea where I'm gonna put the rest of the abilities I get as I level up! And its not like there are any throwaway ones...you pretty much find a use for every ability, its ridiculous! I'm afraid to spend points on talents that unlock new abilities, I don't even have room for the ones I get by leveling up!

I thought it was just Bounty Hunters so I rolled a Juggernaut, but now I'm in the mid-30's and the problem is cropping up again. I get some sick new ability and either have to 1) bind it to some hard to reach hotkey or 2) replace a current power with the new one, which leaves me hitting the wrong damn hotkey for an hour or so until I'm used to the new layout.

I may be in the minority here, but you could get rid of about 4-5 abilities per class and still have a lot of variety.

I have bound quickslot 3 to down arrow and first quickslot to up arrow, simply press down arrow, activate an ability then switch to top. Simple. I keep my main abilities on the top quicklot. We DONT need to get rid of abilities. Edited by reaperkeepet

I wouldn't mind all the abilities if we were given some more actions bars - especially if we were able to customize them!

I play a Vanguard and an Operative, and I haven't found it to be much of an issue on the former. The Op though... I'm going to conjecture that all the healing ACs have it way worse here!

Seriously, I have never played an MMO (or any game) that gave me so many damn abilities. By the time your character is in the mid-30's you have 2 action bars filled. I have no idea where I'm gonna put the rest of the abilities I get as I level up! And its not like there are any throwaway ones...you pretty much find a use for every ability, its ridiculous! I'm afraid to spend points on talents that unlock new abilities, I don't even have room for the ones I get by leveling up!

I thought it was just Bounty Hunters so I rolled a Juggernaut, but now I'm in the mid-30's and the problem is cropping up again. I get some sick new ability and either have to 1) bind it to some hard to reach hotkey or 2) replace a current power with the new one, which leaves me hitting the wrong damn hotkey for an hour or so until I'm used to the new layout.

I may be in the minority here, but you could get rid of about 4-5 abilities per class and still have a lot of variety.

What? Thats not even many abilities. There are mmo's with way more buttons to push than this. And you have 4 rows of 12 slots that you can use. I am using 3 rows atm as a lvl 50 and have no probs of managing them. Just sort the bars the way you can access them nicely.

For example i have all my most often used soilla on 1 row. Counters or triggered on seconds. Buffs and rarely used abilities on one etc. And you can bind all 48 quickslots for a key.

I've stated this before, but I agree there are too many abilities. @ the poster who thinks only clickers will dislike lots of abilities, I keybind most stuff and find it annoying to run out of reachable keys. I think forcing players to use modifiers like Ctrl and Alt is bad game design.

A game can have an interesting, flexible and skillful pvp without hundreds of abilities. Additional skills don't give you more options, it just gives you slightly different flavours of the same options, which hardly improves tactical gameplay.

in eq2 i had 4 hotbars (thats 10 slots each) filled with spells and abilities. this game is fine please please please dont nerf the amount. rather, change the amount of open toolbars on the bottom or better yet, allow full UI customization... Edited by duritz

I've stated this before, but I agree there are too many abilities. @ the poster who thinks only clickers will dislike lots of abilities, I keybind most stuff and find it annoying to run out of reachable keys. I think forcing players to use modifiers like Ctrl and Alt is bad game design.

A game can have an interesting, flexible and skillful pvp without hundreds of abilities. Additional skills don't give you more options, it just gives you slightly different flavours of the same options, which hardly improves tactical gameplay.

A lot of folks have gaming keyboards with G-Keys and such, plus mouses with 50 bindable buttons :p

What class do you play that you have more than 48 abilities that need to be bound?

Looking at the BH on Torhead, there are 73 TOTAL abilities. 19 of them are PT only, 23 of them are Merc only. About a dozen of them are proficiency: X, like blaster pistol or heavy armor. In the end, what the hell don't you have room for and what the hell is on your bars?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. These are complaints from Bads who can't figure out how to play a game with more than 6 buttons. Try playing a WHM from FFXI. Here's the ability list.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/White_Mage_Spell_List

Edited by Lokiliesmith

EDIT: Oh, I get it. These are complaints from Bads who can't figure out how to play a game with more than 6 buttons. Try playing a WHM from FFXI. Here's the ability list.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/White_Mage_Spell_List

Er, you're being just as dishonest as the guy you quoted. If you played FFXI, you know full well that a good chunk of that list is situational, if not flat out useless.

What class do you play that you have more than 48 abilities that need to be bound?

Maybe if they'd let me take one of those side quickbars and move it to the bottom, or let me break it up into 3 little quickbars and sprinkle them to bottom right and left, etc etc, I'd be cool with saying we have 48 useful quickslots.

Er, you're being just as dishonest as the guy you quoted. If you played FFXI, you know full well that a good chunk of that list is situational, if not flat out useless.

Not saying it's not. What I'm saying is that you had an absolute ton of abilities to manage. You figure 10 different status ailments, Pro/Shell, All the status buffs, Dia, Holy, Banish, 2-3 different Cure spells are relevant at a time, plus 1-2 different AoE cures. Then there are the JAs that you'll want to use, like benediction, divine seal, etc. I'm not saying it's a full 90 ability list, I'm just saying that you had a ton more than SWTOR.

Maybe if they'd let me take one of those side quickbars and move it to the bottom, or let me break it up into 3 little quickbars and sprinkle them to bottom right and left, etc etc, I'd be cool with saying we have 48 useful quickslots.

What difference does it make where the bars are? I mean, it's not like you have to move your mouse off to the edge of the screen to try to click on individual abilities every time you want to use them. That would just be dumb.

Implying that you get tons of abilities after level 30.

You can add a left and right action bar from the UI menu...

Put the ones you dont use during combat there.

You can then also add hotkeys to the bars.

Hope this helps a bit.

The left and right action bars take up too much screen real estate. The right one in particular is really bad because it shifts all of the quest text over by the width of the bar. And, if you want to control some of your companion's abilities by key bind, you have to expand it across one of the other bars.

The best solution is to allow key binds to work on bars when they aren't displayed. That way I can hide more UI elements, but still use some of the key binds.

And get rid of some abilities. Our characters have too many.

A lot of folks have gaming keyboards with G-Keys and such, plus mouses with 50 bindable buttons :p

The people using that hardware are a relatively small % of players.

I have something like 37 keybinds.

This is just ridiculous for a first release mmo. If they ever release an expansion....that's even more keybinds.

And look at the situational abilities like "Tumult". Which you can ONLY use when a target is incapacitated, and it can't even be used on an Elite.

Poorly thought out design.

What difference does it make where the bars are? I mean, it's not like you have to move your mouse off to the edge of the screen to try to click on individual abilities every time you want to use them. That would just be dumb.

Because the default placement is ugly and doesn't fit where I like to look for information. I would love for all of my bars to be smaller and centered in the bottom middle of my screen.

I can't wait for some UI customization. Unfortunately, BW is developing it, so it will be buggy as hell and poorly tested.

You are the first person I've seen on these forums to understand this fundamental principle of game design.

/bow

My problem isn't so much the number of abilities, but rather that some of them are so poorly conceived or so situational, their existence is hard to justify.

Opportunity strike and Pommel Strike are two such examples and there are a few more abilities that could easily be consolidated without affecting the "depth" of the class.

Ironically I think Guild Wars 2, with it's 15-20 abilities per build, will have a much deeper and involving combat than SWTORs copy-pasta.

Having ~5 abilities that do very similar things doesn't make combat interesting. It just makes key-binds a pain.

Imo the sweet-spot for an MMO should be somewhere between 25 and 30 abilities. More and things get convoluted, less and the skill-cap suffers.

I like having a diverse toolset. Options are good.

I've played MMOs with more abilities than this. 4 toolbars is not bad at all.

I think some ppl around here just want to be able to macro 1,2,3,1,2,3,1,2,3 and drool into their keyboards while talking about their genitals on ventrilo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.