Why do so many people hate Baras?

AJediKnight

Baras isn't an inquisitor. Ask anyone who did the fight. All warrior, baby.

No, hes not all warrior.

The very first thing he does at the start of the fight is throw lightning at you which you block with your lightsaber.

He's a mix between Inquisitor and Warrior, which is lame, since you should have a full Warrior as a Master.

That's actually one of the things that made me not like him from the start.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every class story in TOR = killing Sith. Spoilers!

They really did a good job of demonstrating how the Empire will be destroyed due to the Siths' insane internal contradictions.

Of all the class stories I've played, Darth Baras seems to embody this most. He's frightening, selfish and almost idiotic. He should be fat--his whole psychology is gluttonous.

But his voice actor is good and I kind of like him. I feel most like I'm part of some perverse Roman nightmare of power politics and Stalinesque purges.

I personally thought Baras worked very well as a character in the game. My character distrusted and disliked him even as she continued to do his work, but personally I loved the voice acting, the personality... it did not bother me at all that he was body type 4. He gave an impression of looming menace, rather like working downslope of a mountain that is overdue for having the rockslide of the century.

As to his plotting and intended takeover, they actually worked very well for me. Plan Zero in particular I liked as it appeared to be to serve his master's ambitions but was actually intended to further his own schemes instead. Best of all, what I especially loved was working for the Hand and seeing a bit of what the Emperor was shine through... Baras had gotten a trick through but in a few simple moves, the Hand broke down all Baras had built.

I kinda liked Baras too. He wasn't a Grand Moff Kilran (who is so freaking awesome it defies mere words), but Baras was still decent. A pudgy conniving Sith Lord. What's not to like? Only problem I had was no matter how much **** I talked back to him, he never did anything. Not even a force choke to keep my Sith in line or anything.

Yet, I remember getting choked by him in Beta. Thought that was awesome, not sure why that part was removed. Played light side, and always talked crap to him just like this last play through.

What? Darth Tubby? He's a push over. He's a carbon copy of Anakin in Episodes II & III (or given te timeline Anakin would be a carbon copy of him, but that's just semantics really). A petulant child who's more intent on his own personal aspirations and pays no mind to the consequences. I think he fits the very essence of the Sith. To that end he IS very well written and voice acted. And exactly why as an up and coming Sith Lord and eventual Darth why I would want to kill him. He stands between me and my personal aspirations of glory and power.

He's not smart, he's just a coward that gained power by using me, even to kill a barely important jedi that he couldn't face himself and was supposedly his "old enemy".

Darth Baras is one of the most coward characters in the game, he's an idiot (a sith betraying the emperor itself? And you call him smart? You've got to be kidding, thats HIGH TREASON).

Then he holds a whole fleet back, risking the empire position in Corellia just because of personal affaires. Its not bad that he wants power and is ambitious, but he's basically helping the Republic to take Corellia, and that is HIGH TREASON.

Basically, Baras is just an Emperor wannabe that cant back up his ambitions with power nor with brains.

Darth Marr is a great Sith, baras is just a weak idiot that had the luck to have me as apprentice.

1. Before you ever met him he was one of the most influential Sith Lords in the galaxy. The whole point of becoming his apprentice to begin with was because of the affluence that comes with it. "This guy is the apprentice of Darth Baras. He must be something special! Right this way, my lord."

2. Darth Baras is powerful. This is a solid fact, no sense in arguing it. Baras can intuit the future, kill from light years away just by seeing an image of the person in front of him, backhand a punk halfway across a room, and use lightning. You can't do any of this.

3. Baras paid his dues. The biggest and dumbest complaint coming from the haters is: "I did all the work!" Duuuh. A.) If you didn't do the work, you would have no class story. b.) You're a Sith Apprentice. The whole point of being an apprentice is to serve your master. c.) While you were off doing your job Baras was manipulating the Dark Council into re-starting the war, trapping the Emperor on Voss, inciting rebellions, and basically taking over the entire Empire. Sith Emperor: "Baras plays the old game."

Basically, for some people who enjoy characters with depth and ambition, Baras can be very enjoyable. He's a solid contribution to Bioware's catalog of great villains. For people who think being Sith is all about overt sneering, and being a graceless thug, Baras will grate. He talks to you like an intelligent person. A certain type of person hates taking orders from older, smarter, people, and will hate the character no matter what.

Edited by sanctified

Basically, for people who enjoy characters with depth and ambition, Baras is very enjoyable. He's a solid contribution to Bioware's catalog of great villains. For people who think being Sith is all about overt sneering, and being a graceless thug, Baras will grate. He talks to you like an intelligent person. A certain type of person hates taking orders from older, smarter, people, and will hate the character no matter what.

I enjoy characters with depth and ambition, and I don't like him at all.

I played my story in a very rebellious way towards Baras. Basically reminding him at every point I could how useless he was. It felt like any lesson he tried to teach me just made him look like a fool for underestimating me again, and threat he tried to warn me of made him look weak and cowardly. When it was an option I let people know that they were being killed by my power, not Baras and that I was the one to fear.

I think it entirely depends on your conversation choices with him as to how you perceive him. I don't like him and never saw him as any more than a bit of a has been riding his name and shady tactics.

Edited by Mordeguy

I played my story in a very rebellious way towards Baras. Basically reminding him at every point I could how useless he was. It felt like any lesson he tried to teach me just made him look like a fool for underestimating me again, and threat he tried to warn me of made him look weak and cowardly. When it was an option I let people know that they were being killed by my power, not Baras and that I was the one to fear.

I think it entirely depends on your conversation choices with him as to how you perceive him. I don't like him and never saw him as any more than a bit of a has been riding his name and shady tactics.

Darth Baras' name alone has more weight to it than some on the Dark Council.

I felt the way I hated Baras helped add to the storyline for me. All of these insanely dangerous missions he sent me on (namely Nomen Karr) where he knew I could likely get killed, made me understand more why my character started to dislike him, and it made me that much more satisfied when I found out

that he turns on me and I get to kill him.

From a story standpoint, Baras was done excellently. From an RP standpoint? I hate him so very much.

Also, the fact that he has a mask like he does adds to the cold nature of his character. He shows no emotion except when he raises his voice. And even then, the only emotion he can show is just pure anger.

Edited by sfthirteen

I have an level 33 assassin and I hated Zash's sugary sweetness when she talked to you, it just seemed like she was insincere and I needed to be on my guard around her. Things are totally different on my level 34 warrior. Baras seems more genuine in his praise and comments then Zash ever was and I think thats what I like about him. Granted I haven't seen the whole story yet, but to me so far Baras seems to be like a mentor/grandfather prepping you to take over his position either by you killing him, or because he's been promoted. I am interested now to see if how I feel about him changes as the story progresses.

I like Baras, but regarding Body Type 4... I Love It, it really has a Kingpin-esque feel about it, especially for Sith Warrior, I went for a three myself, but when I level an Inquisitor, most likely a Sorceror, I'll Supersize myself.

Thread contains spoilers:

I see a lot of commentary from other Sith Warriors about how they 'hated Baras' or 'couldn't wait to kill Baras,' but I never had anything but appreciation for the guy, even when he stabbed me in the back.

I mean, Baras is heavy in the brains department, but clearly not as strong in the force as my character. Therefore, I made an excellent tool or weapon that he could wield in his ascent to power, but once I became a liability, it is perfectly natural for a smart Sith to attempt to dispose of me, as Baras did. After all, I was ambitious, and he knew it, even if I was still loyal when he turned on me. He'd taken me as far as he possibly could -- it was a good run, and we both profited. But when the time came for someone to make a move, he was the one who made the play. How can I blame him for being aggressive?

Basically, I can't fault the guy for doing what is natural for a Sith to do.

What's more, Baras is/was:

1) Smart.

2) Actually makes the male fat body type work, and seem powerful.

3) Willing to heap praise on me when I deserved it.

4) Nearly always trusted in my ability to get the job done, and was properly appologetic (or as close as he could be) when he doubted, such as when Duke Kendo tried to rat me out.

5) Taught my character a lot about the darkside.

Ultimately, I couldn't bring myself to kill Baras, and instead exiled him. I suppose I am just a big softy at heart, but the guy was a brilliant strategist and his plan almost succeeded. Plus, it's really hard to fault anyone who openly opposes the Emperor, especially when his ultimate plans are to basically sap the galaxy of all life to sustain himself. If Baras had become Emperor eventually, I don't think that would have been all that bad -- he's certainly a crafty enough fellow. I bet we'd win the war quickly under his rule.

So, yeah, I just don't get all the Baras-bashing. As far as I am concerned, he's right up with with Palpatine in terms of sneaky, smart, astute badguys.

Why do you guys hate him so much?

For me it was because he looked more like Darth Cartman. I just couldn't take him seriously. Every time I saw him on the screen, in my head I would hear "Respect mah authoritah!"

I dislike Baras because he's fat. I frown at fat people in reality, so I obviously detest the fact that my powerful master is a dough boy. I'm not sorry that I'm not part of this new society where we have to accept everyone.

Self hate is never pretty.... fatty.

I was very conflicted with Baras, but when I look at it honestly, I hated him because of Body Type 4. I generally agreed with him and his plotting, and don't hold it against any Sith that tries to scheme to better himself. I wish he would have asked me to usurp the Emperor with him instead of just trying to kill me, I probably would have went along with it.

But instead his fatass tried to kill me, so he had to go.