Don't allow crit on ALL Orange slots. Hear me out.

ericdjobs

Please don't allow ALL orange armor slots to be crit.

Once you are able to remove armorings from raid/PVP gear, crit-crafted orange gear will become Best in Slot, hands down. It will cause a huge inflation of player stats (+28 on each piece, so 5-6 crit crafted oranges, +168 total ratings/stat)

There will be no point to wear the actual items anymore. Might as well forget designing a loot table and just have bosses drop armorings/mods/enhancements. There will be NO point in designing kick-*** looking raid sets etc.. because nobody will wear them. They will simply strip the mods.

I'd suggest allowing maybe 1 slot the ability to crit. Or only allow the player to wear one piece of crit crafted armor at a time.

If every slot is able to be crit, every single serious player will never deviate from orange gear; why bother designing any non-orange gear at all at that point? Sure, at first they will be rare and hard to come by.. but eventually everyone will have all slots with augmented oranges. Look at biochem right now.

Unless you plan on allowing drops to crit as well (crit dropped for an augment slot) this is a really bad idea... unless you plan on not tying armor styles/looks to raids/tiers... if that's the case you should simply have endgame PvE drops armorings/enhancements/mods instead of gear, because all the gear would be at that point is a lockbox full of armorings/mods/enhancements.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only hole I see in your argument is that raid gear looks kick ***. It doesnt. My juggy looks like a red tin can in his columi armor. Im looking for the first possible way to get him out of that armor and into something that actually makes him look like the sith he is without hitting stat decrease.

The only hole I see in your argument is that raid gear looks kick ***. It doesnt. My juggy looks like a red tin can in his columi armor. Im looking for the first possible way to get him out of that armor and into something that actually makes him look like the sith he is without hitting stat decrease.

Don't even get me started on how asinine the armor concept is for marauders.

Orange armor provides a solution to players disgruntled with BioWare's "kick-***" item modeling. I'm all for "crit'ing" as an additional reason to move away from what I view as bad design.

Edited by Sulrn

I say in addition to the current crafting-crit-gives-augment-slot mechanic, there needs to be something craftable that adds an augment slot to any item that does not yet have one, no matter where that item came from. That way we can have maximum diversity and freedom of choice, instead of always having a certain item type superior.

I say in addition to the current crafting-crit-gives-augment-slot mechanic, there needs to be something craftable that adds an augment slot to any item that does not yet have one, no matter where that item came from. That way we can have maximum diversity and freedom of choice, instead of always having a certain item type superior.

Just add the item to the Augment mission loot tables. Makes the most sense and might actually make slicers get over their QQ.

why bother designing any non-orange gear at all at that point?

1) Rewarding PvP Players with a distinctive look that cannot be copied by crafters

2) Rewarding PvE Players with a distinctive look that cannot be copied by crafters

And future content could easily adapt to such a system. I look forward to being able to use oranges again so I don't look like every other pvp/pve geared Sentinel.

I am a trooper and I hate parts of the Tionese / Columi / Rakata sets.

As someone suggested, maybe there should be an item to add an augment slot to any gear.

I wouldn't mind if it required a biometric crystal to make per piece, I just want too keep my good looking armor.

Augment crits on orange gets the job done, but feels a bit "easy". And thats coming from an armormech.

1) Rewarding PvP Players with a distinctive look that cannot be copied by crafters

2) Rewarding PvE Players with a distinctive look that cannot be copied by crafters

And future content could easily adapt to such a system. I look forward to being able to use oranges again so I don't look like every other pvp/pve geared Sentinel.

no real pve / pvp player will give up 168 of their main stat to look different

QFT!

I hate my new look.... can't wait to get back to my orange gear.

no real pve / pvp player will give up 168 of their main stat to look different

Oh my mistake, I was under the assumption the sky was not falling and that there were multiple ways to solve problems such as this.

I should have realized this was such a grandiose problem that there was no solution :(

Oh my mistake, I was under the assumption the sky was not falling and that there were multiple ways to solve problems such as this.

I should have realized this was such a grandiose problem that there was no solution :(

Oh I'm not too worried about it overall, everything will be slowly balanced out. Just saying that if an augment is implemented on every orange slot, at the same time you can jack armoring mods out of purple items (aka your rakata / columi gear) then most people will be using the orange gear.

The only incentive that currently exists to keep using "tier" pieces is the set bonuses, and a lot of them are god awful. They will need to be rebalanced to be compareable for everyone to the bonus to stats from augment slots to make the gear competitive.

Oh I'm not too worried about it overall, everything will be slowly balanced out. Just saying that if an augment is implemented on every orange slot, at the same time you can jack armoring mods out of purple items (aka your rakata / columi gear) then most people will be using the orange gear.

The only incentive that currently exists to keep using "tier" pieces is the set bonuses, and a lot of them are god awful. They will need to be rebalanced to be compareable for everyone to the bonus to stats from augment slots to make the gear competitive.

I don't get the problem though. You're saying "some people will use orange gear and not stick to the gear that everyone else gets" and I'm saying "yes, and that's okay. The desire to obtain PvP and Pve gear could easily be based around aesthetic choices that aren't available to crafters.

Anything concerning the math of the issue doesn't matter since it is easily worked out later.

I think much of the problem would come in with people needing on hard and nightmare drops just because they need the mods for their augmented orange set. Currently people have the sense to not need for their companions they never use, and don't need if they just need a mod.

I don't get the problem though. You're saying "some people will use orange gear and not stick to the gear that everyone else gets" and I'm saying "yes, and that's okay. The desire to obtain PvP and Pve gear could easily be based around aesthetic choices that aren't available to crafters.

Anything concerning the math of the issue doesn't matter since it is easily worked out later.

No, I'm saying IF the math is worked out beforehand, some people will use one and some the other. If the balancing isn't done beforehand, a large number of players (see everyone who rushed to pick up biochem for stat maxing) are going to kneejerk drop all their tier pieces and put their rakata / columi mods into orange gear to get the extra augment slots. Same with pvp.

No, I'm saying IF the math is worked out beforehand, some people will use one and some the other. If the balancing isn't done beforehand, a large number of players (see everyone who rushed to pick up biochem for stat maxing) are going to kneejerk drop all their tier pieces and put their rakata / columi mods into orange gear to get the extra augment slots. Same with pvp.

So you put augments in already existing pvp and pve gear, or allow some way to do this and allow for people to crit craft oranges.

Problem solved?

So you put augments in already existing pvp and pve gear, or allow some way to do this and allow for people to crit craft oranges.

Problem solved?

Yes and no. If you are going for full balance and do this, you still have to consider 4 piece set bonuses from pve / pvp gear. How do you make this transferable between the gear so that the choice to use orange gear over purples is purely cosmetic, and does Bioware want the choice to be cosmetic?

Bioware have already communicated that they are working on making set bonuses transferable too. They are running with the design idea of removing penalties for customising your look, and combining it with enhanced customisation of your stat mix.

Personally I think its a bold and exciting spin on the tired old mmo approach to gear;

- Players can pick and chose their appearance

Its apperance slots without the need to have a seperate window, its all consolidated into the one equiped gear window.

- Players can adjust the stat distribution of the gear they wear.

There is no one end game set you have to wear, you can mix the stats around on every single piece. How many players do you know that don't like choice?

Currently there are only schematics for orange head, chest and leg armor pieces. There are no orange gloves, boots, belts or bracers that are craftable.

So right now, you are only looking at a max of 3 augment slots on armor (5 if you are armormech/synth and make the rakata bet and bracers and crit on them).

I agree, no one in their right mind would wear anything but crafted Orange gear if this change goes through.

+168 boost in stats is like 2 whole extra pieces of gear.

It would be far more beneficial for there to be a rare crafting schematic for each of the professions that added a augment slot to ANY item so that ALL gear is viable.

Why they keep trying to further restrict our choices I have no idea.

I agree, no one in their right mind would wear anything but crafted Orange gear if this change goes through.

+168 boost in stats is like 2 whole extra pieces of gear.

It would be far more beneficial for there to be a rare crafting schematic for each of the professions that added a augment slot to ANY item so that ALL gear is viable.

Why they keep trying to further restrict our choices I have no idea.

Again, there are only 3 pieces of crafted orange gear.