How to Fix PVP: Create an ARENA

hategambit

Give us item loss on death, loot on death (Only for world PvP) and quit focusing on instanced PvP where the only incentive is getting new gear and not actually about the fight at all.
who the hell would want that? go play runescape or something

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But wait, what happens if you face an Operative as a Non-stealth spotter? (IE: No Stealth Scan). He throws his biggest ranged attack, then vanishes. Little bit of damage, wins according to your "Most damage wins after time runs out".

I didnt think of that one, it would be lame. doesnt mean arenas wont work. just gotta find a solution.

for starters, if the arena was small enough they could just run around and detect the stealther, you dont need stealth scan. i cant tell you how many times i have stopped someone from doing their awesome stealth attack because i saw them stealthed, targeted and attacked them breaking their stealth.

that wont completely fix it, but im sure a solution to this issue is out there.

At the end of the day, i would be fine with it starting at 2v2 or 4v4 or whatever... if 1v1 is simply too bad to implement.

i just want a dang fair fight. no where does this exist in this game, except in warzones (sometimes its fair, othertimes its 10 vs 8). but im getting sick of warzones, as most people are. i would like to play a game where all i gotta do is kill, not HOLD THIS or CAP THAT or OPEN THIS DOOR or RUN ACROSS THIS LINE. how about: KILL THEM!

is a fair fight too much to ask for?

That mentality comes from the fact that they have to balance the game in 1v1 fights for all classes against all other classes. This means that they will be walking on egg shells and each class will be similar to the others.

With space combat, they don't have to alter PvP or PvE stats to keep all classes in line with the content. This would not be the case with 1v1 duels.

WoW has arena. Not all the classes are the same. SWTOR does not have arena. Almost every class has a 4 second stun. 4 out of 8 classes has an aoe knockback. Explain this.

i know its TLDNR but as i mentioned duels are not a good method.

please explain to me how i am going to duel someone of the opposing faction.

its nearly impossible, unless, like i said, you know them IRL. <- not acceptable.

Well, call me old fashioned, but I played MMOs before everything was on rails and kids had to decide between being good or bad. So yes, with the way the game is now it is impossible. I'm just saying, adding an option for 1v1 fights wouldn't improve PvP.

More ideas to fix it:

Player cities you build, and defend from opposing faction. You have a stake in it and have a reason to defend it.

Let the factions be optional, making neutral an option. Allow guilds to war each other, again with player cities. You can base who you fight off of people you actually want to compete with not simply "Your tag is red so I am going to fight you".

These are ideas for a completely different game, and SWTOR could never go in that direction. Sure, they are basically SWG's PvP mechanics, but the idea between SWG was awesome. Implementation of the actual game was not great, but it was a lot better than saying one side is good, one side is bad, you will fight them in this warzone.

I love it when the forums become filled posts from people with ZERO experience in game design, implementation, programming, or testing...who don't even think fully through their suggestions before making them.

How in the world would an arena fix a pvp system in a game that is not designed for arena play? We would need to severely alter all of the classes to "balance" them specifically not to lose to all of the other classes. Once you start "class balancing" to cater to a very small populous, you absolutely RUIN the unique classes that have made this MMO more fun than many of it's predecessors.

One of the best things about SW:TOR are the unique classes, each with their weaknesses and strengths. I see a lot of whining about class imbalance, but honestly - in this Team Based PVP environment, there are only a few SMALL tweaks that need to be made. For the most part, I find balancing to be fine. Don't go ruining that by introducing a game element that would force the developers to redesign each class.

you make a good point about balancing classes.

however if my class was unbalanced, and i felt like i was too underpowered to join in on the arena, does that necessitate that i must quit the game? because they added something that i dont like?

that is just a cry baby mentality.

now i agree balancing needs to occur. and i personally think 1v1 fights is the BEST way to gather the data on what is unbalanced and needs to be fixed.

I have to disagree. If 1v1 arenas were implemented they would most likely give out gear, and then yes, it would be a good reason to quit or at least not play a certain class.

And with balance, I think the game does alright. No, not all classes can take on all others in 1v1, but they don't need to. They have their roles.

Rogue style classes: Good burst DPS, good 1v1 against squishies, good CC in 1v1, not good against tanks or in groups.

Healers: Good heals, low DPS, some CC

Ranged DPS classes: Good DPS and survivability, won't overpower a class 1v1 though. (Or I should say "shouldn't")

Tanks: Good damage taking, low DPS.

I know I simplified it, and I'm sure that the numbers could use some tweaking, but if you try to balance it for 1v1 duels it takes these roles away. That is why there is the emphasis on group PvP.

At the end of the day, i would be fine with it starting at 2v2 or 4v4 or whatever... if 1v1 is simply too bad to implement.

i just want a dang fair fight. no where does this exist in this game, except in warzones (sometimes its fair, othertimes its 10 vs 8). but im getting sick of warzones, as most people are. i would like to play a game where all i gotta do is kill, not HOLD THIS or CAP THAT or OPEN THIS DOOR or RUN ACROSS THIS LINE. how about: KILL THEM!

is a fair fight too much to ask for?

Sounds like you want Call Of Duty.

But seriously, how long would the timer be? If tiebreakers are broken by damage, what stops an operative from bursting, vanishing and mezzing you until the end of the fight?

1v1 is not balanced, as then all the classes would be the same with a single "difference", and it would be like playing an action-adventure TPS game, not an MMORPG (RPG RPG RPG RPG RPG RPG RPG, note those 3 letters).

Trying to rebalance the game for 1v1 would wreck havoc on warzones and world PvP (what little there is) and PvE. As it is now, the Devs would not commit to such a thing, and this idea would be a major waste of time. Add to the fact that most good DPS can stun and beat down another DPS before they can even react, or just kite a melee guy by just 7 or 8 meters. Try it, makes 2 AC classes nearly useless.

And if you want a "fair" fight, ask for a duel, or tell the opposite faction player (via an alt) where to meet you and fight you 1v1. It still isn't fair, due to gear, PvP experience, class balance, etc. Even Latency matters enough. Not going to mention ability delays, or biochem versus non-biochem.

lol RPG, theres no roleplaying in this game. no mmorpg has role playing. you want role playing go play D&D on paper. thats role playing. mmorpgs are just adventure games with leveling up, you have no real role playing.

yes i do like FPS games, although none that are made in the CoD line.

but i like mmos too. and i find the combat in swtor really fun.

i do not find the unfair fights fun.

like i said it doesnt HAVE to be 1v1. make it 2v2 to start.

in any case, i disagree with people who say things like some classes will trump all others, some classes are not made for 1v1 etc. ALL classes can 1v1, you just have to be smart and use your abilities to their fullest. I dont care what class you roll, and class can beat any other class 1v1 if you know what youre doing.

Edited by hategambit

I love it when the forums become filled posts from people with ZERO experience in game design, implementation, programming, or testing...who don't even think fully through their suggestions before making them.

How in the world would an arena fix a pvp system in a game that is not designed for arena play? We would need to severely alter all of the classes to "balance" them specifically not to lose to all of the other classes. Once you start "class balancing" to cater to a very small populous, you absolutely RUIN the unique classes that have made this MMO more fun than many of it's predecessors.

One of the best things about SW:TOR are the unique classes, each with their weaknesses and strengths. I see a lot of whining about class imbalance, but honestly - in this Team Based PVP environment, there are only a few SMALL tweaks that need to be made. For the most part, I find balancing to be fine. Don't go ruining that by introducing a game element that would force the developers to redesign each class.

actually i have experience in all four. and just dont cry about it and see how well you can do. NOT EVERYONE HAS TO WIN! THIS IS NOT THE SPECIAL OLYMPICS!!!!

i love it when the forums fill up with trolls that like to assume things about other people that they have never met irl or online but think they can call them stupid because they have different ideas or opinions. no seriously i love this. makes my day trolllllin

Edited by hategambit

edited my original post because ya'll make some good points about classes not being designed for 1v1, some are support etc.

start the fights at 2v2, see who can get a nice combo going.

if that doesnt work start at 4v4.

just make it possible to have an even fight that only involves killing the other team, not silly objectives that mean NOTHING.

Arena is for noobs who can't handle chaotic situations.

lmao.

world pvp is for noobs that need a 10 player advantage on one side in order to get their kills.

*edit: world pvp is for noobs who will just leave the area if they dont have a +10 player advantage for their faction

Edited by hategambit

As much as i love arena... HELL NO... not at least till the game is more balanced...

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

welcome to the ranking board.

Do you not think maybe arena should be the last thing put in to place so it gets off on good footing and people find it competitive ?

WOW has arenas... go there if you want arenas.

I dont get you guys.. you complain this game is too much like a WOW clone yet want it to be more like WOW?

what the...?

No to arenas... dont listen to this small amount of players BIOWARE... PLEASE... DO NOT ADD THIS....

ADD MORE WARZONES... LIKE WARHAMMER...

fix ILLUM to be more objective based that institutes PVP...

As much as i love arena... HELL NO... not at least till the game is more balanced...

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

Commando - Sage

welcome to the ranking board.

Do you not think maybe arena should be the last thing put in to place so it gets off on good footing and people find it competitive ?

i own sages with my jugg. gotta know when/what to interupt.

commandos are harder cause they got heavy armor. in general i think classes with heavy armor should not be the highest DPS/HEALS but thats just me

wow has arenas... Go there if you want arenas.

I dont get you guys.. You complain this game is too much like a wow clone yet want it to be more like wow?

What the...?

No to arenas... Dont listen to this small amount of players bioware... Please... Do not add this....

Add more warzones... Like warhammer...

Fix illum to be more objective based that institutes pvp...

if

you

dont

it

you

dont

have

to

participate

gg

No arena. The only game that I liked arena in is guild wars because there wasn't really an 'open world' in the game so to speak and therefore they could have a skill do one thing in PvE and another thing in PvP. Therefore they could tweak an ability for PvP without it negatively affecting PvE, and while I do enjoy PvP from time to time I like PvE more and I got sick of WoW caving to the QQ of the arena folks that their class didn't have enough burst dps to kill the healer in 2 hits or some other concern so I am opposed to providing another venue for people to nerf and buff skills just because of their effectiveness in arena settings. Edited by Rhata

No arena. The only game that I liked arena in is guild wars because there wasn't really an 'open world' in the game so to speak and therefore they could have a skill do one thing in PvE and another thing in PvP. Therefore they could tweak an ability for PvP without it negatively affecting PvE, and while I do enjoy PvP from time to time I like PvE more and I got sick of WoW caving to the QQ of the arena folks that their class didn't have enough burst dps to kill the healer in 2 hits or some other concern so I am opposed to providing another venue for people to nerf and buff skills just because of their effectiveness in arena settings.

this isnt wow.

this isnt a thread about pve.

if you like pve better than pvp, good for you. why are you here?

to ruin it for others that prefer pvp?

No.

No more instanced ****. Open world PVP (not Ilum or anything resembling it) needs to be the focus from now on.

Why? Why does everyone act like world pvp is so great? Give me 3 legitimate reasons why world pvp is good. There's no skill involved whatsoever.

all you wow nerds cry about how bad wow's arena was.

man i dont care about wow or how bad it is.

i care about having SOME method of a fair fight in >THIS< game.

be it 1v1 2v2 4v4 16v16... some way of fighting without stupid objectives

ARE YOU MAD I CALLED IT AN ARENA? too many wow flashbacks?

Edited by hategambit