Can't wait! Orange gear.

PutinDoesJudo

*I'm going to put the negatives aside for this thread, as there is enough threads for them.*

*I'm referring to the future change to purp/endgame gear, that will allow us to extract the base mods such as armouring from them, for those not in the know.*

Orange Gear - When I first read about the idea and plan for them, it was love at first sight.

Being able to look how you want, whether it be a sand peoples outfit, or an imperial space suit, it just sounded great. Once we got to retail however, it's like... look how you want till 50, and than don the end game gear, regardless of whether the design fits your tastes, simple because you it was the best open.

With the changes, it will be a lot less clone wars out there, with people having more freedom to look how they want, while remaining competitive at endgame. Social points will actually be worth grinding for as well.

So, yeah, you could say there are more urgent things that need fixing first, balance issues etc, but I think this is a very important change, and I'm pumped.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It still doesn't address the heart of the issue. Yes, in six months, we may be able to wear orange gear instead of tier purples. The problem is, there isn't any orange gear that's any different.

Take jedi knights for instance. Hoods for republic (they don't want hoods), and no hoods for the imperials (they want hoods). There is maybe ONE OR TWO tunics without hoods; they don't even look very good, they just happen to be a lesser of two evils.

Until they ADD ORANGE GEAR THAT LOOKS THE WAY WE WANT IT changing orange gear wearability means absolutely nothing.

Robes - need a hood toggle. Robes need to remove the excessive clip +posterior. Smugglers don't want to look like superman with a bonnet. PVPers don't want to look like garish space samurais (sentinels), etc, etc, etc. We're talking about a game with 50 levels of gear and 40 of them are AWFUL and have no connection to Star Wars at all.

Addendum: Medium armour says hi, they want you to introduce us to some bracers and belts that non-smugglers can wear.

Edited by Thessaly

I think he's talking about the change to purple gear that is coming. It is a step in the right direction, but I don't know that it's enough to save the once-decent idea of using modable gear for customization. Now, if they allowed gear to be RE'd for orange patterns, that would go a long way to fixing things. But the super random buried in more random that is orange schematics. . . whatever.

I'm referring to the opening of the base mod slots on purple/endgame gear, which we will be able to move into our orange gear. Not being able to remove the armouring and other base mods from endgame gear has prevented orange gear from being viable at endgame, set bonuses as well, which is also being worked on.

I also think the orange gear range is pretty decent, although most the ones I like are social level dependent.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

I'm referring to the opening of the base mod slots on purple/endgame gear, which we will be able to move into our orange gear, this is what has prevented orange gear from being viable.

I also think the orange gear range is pretty decent, although most the ones I like are social level dependent.

. . . which also means they are light armor only. Social gear works great for JC/SI, sucks for the other 6 classes.

I'm with the OP on this one.

Lack of orange gear making it irrelevant? I dunno, I like what oranges I have.

Plus adding in more oranges over time seems quite likely/easy in comparison to changing the base modification system.

Big change. Positive change. Looking forward to the future.

Lack of orange gear making it irrelevant? I dunno, I like what oranges I have.

I really don't understand that complaint either, there are so many orange gear sets that we can mix and match to find a look that we like. Don't like that battle master chest piece that has silly little wings? Find an orange piece of your liking... don't like your assassins tin foil looking hat? wear the skull looking orange head piece.

Also, there is no variety with endgame gear, there is tionese, columi, battlemaster etc, clone wars. Anything like this is a step in the right direction.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

I really don't understand that complaint either, there are so many orange gear sets that we can mix and match to find a look that we like. Don't like that battle master chest piece that has silly little wings? Find an orange piece of your liking... don't like your assassins tin foil looking hat? wear the skull looking orange head piece.

Also, there is no variety with endgame gear, there is tionese, columi, battlemaster etc, clone wars. Anything like this is a step in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong, I already agreed that it is a step in the right direction. I'm just saying that adding new paint to a Pacer doesn't make it a Mustang.

they are all light armor ...

Yeah they are all light armor.

Also I love the loadscreen that says "Earning social points grants you access to better equipment" (I know that's not exact)

What it should say is "Earning social points grants Inquisitors and Consulars access to unique looking moddable gear"

Don't get me wrong, I already agreed that it is a step in the right direction. I'm just saying that adding new paint to a Pacer doesn't make it a Mustang.

Except it's the other way around.

They're putting a Mustang engine on a chassis with this.

More orange pieces is adding more bodywork and metal paint options.

Game could have over 9000 oranges in atm and it would mean sith all cos you can't do anything with them.

Now if it has a dozen good looking oranges that's at-least a dozen viable and meaningful options. With take it to the bank future potential.

Also, it doesn't mess with OP's, FP's etc, you still have to grind those commendations, tokens, loot drops to get access to the endgame mods.

The only thing that could be an issue, is that orange gear could suddenly be superior to raid gear, because of augments(I'm assuming they've given orange gear the set bonuses in the patch), and it will suddenly become the must have requirement, even for those who couldn't care less about variety of look, simply because it performs better. The bigger negative would be the fact that it's probably only crafted orange gear that can get augments, so the whole idea of the orange gear is lost, because everyone wants the select few crafted orange gear with the augment slots, so we have clone wars all over again.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

Except it's the other way around.

They're putting a Mustang engine on a chassis with this.

More orange pieces is adding more bodywork and metal paint options.

Game could have over 9000 oranges in atm and it would mean sith all cos you can't do anything with them.

Now if it has a dozen good looking oranges that's at-least a dozen viable and meaningful options. With take it to the bank future potential.

I see where we had a disconnect on the analogy. I'm simply saying that the orange gear system is a lemon. Improving a lemon doesn't mean it's not a lemon any more.

But, I don't want to derail this thread further. This isn't the forum for this discussion, nor the point of the OP.

Back OT, yes, this change is a welcome step in the right general direction.

Edited by Vodalus

How many of the people you hope to reach will be playing at this future potential date?

I don't get it...

Are these forums now at a stage it's so hard to say "GJ BW" on anything, all moaning all the time?

Every one of us has an orange piece in the bank that we like but can't do anything with it.

Change in the pipes to basically make it full transmog? "Yea its ok I guess but needs more oranges".

y u so negative bros lol

I am really disliking the augment slot on crit gear. I am a 400/400 synthweaver but unless all outfits in the game are able to be RE'd to a pattern this will be more trouble than it's worth as it will totally under mine the entire concept of what is attempting to be achieved. By making only the crafted (note ugly) armor capable of having an augment slot means now the only viable end game gear shifts from looted goods, to crafted goods. This goes from a small pool of options to an almost as small pool of options only now it's RNG + RNG + RNG based.

I really wish BW would take a look in my suggestion relating to this.

Sigh

It still doesn't address the heart of the issue. Yes, in six months, we may be able to wear orange gear instead of tier purples. The problem is, there isn't any orange gear that's any different.

Take jedi knights for instance. Hoods for republic (they don't want hoods), and no hoods for the imperials (they want hoods). There is maybe ONE OR TWO tunics without hoods; they don't even look very good, they just happen to be a lesser of two evils.

Until they ADD ORANGE GEAR THAT LOOKS THE WAY WE WANT IT changing orange gear wearability means absolutely nothing.

Robes - need a hood toggle. Robes need to remove the excessive clip +posterior. Smugglers don't want to look like superman with a bonnet. PVPers don't want to look like garish space samurais (sentinels), etc, etc, etc. We're talking about a game with 50 levels of gear and 40 of them are AWFUL and have no connection to Star Wars at all.

Addendum: Medium armour says hi, they want you to introduce us to some bracers and belts that non-smugglers can wear.

Have people missed the Dev comment from months ago then ?!? ALL craftable gear has a craftable orange recipe to match it, IF you can get the drop.