Now its time to put the pink glasses down:

Oldgrimm

(sorry for the following grammatical faults, I'm not a native englisch speaker)

I think we all know, that this game has some really serious problems to keep us entertained in the endgame.

I will not talk about the leveling experience, because most of the player would agree, that the solo leveling phase is the strong part in SWTOR because BioWare has the best RPG expierience there is in the gaming market.

Neither will I talk about the little problems (such as no adjustable UI a.s.o.), with whom everyone with a little more patience , than a 3year old kid in a ToysRus shop, can cope.

No... I will talk about the real problems in the endgame and mostly I will talk about the problems in the endgame as a dedicated PvP player.

And please be patient with my ignorance, that I will make one or another comparison with WoW, but we can all agree to some point, that Blizzard has created a game, which can keep the player entertained for years.

Lets begin with the big one: ILUM ....*pause for drama*

Yes, Ilum is for me the galleon figure for the bad design in this game.

Because there are 2 factors in Ilum which dont work together.

First the gameplay for Ilum favors only the bland and naked ZERG. There are is no need for tactical thinking, or for some skill, who can control his character better and use the tools given.

ZERG does nothing and proves nothing. For a player like me, the Zerg-concept in PvP is outdated, boring and bland.

It is only the thing, that the fraction with more players available in the Zerg wins.

But not only this is a problem, but also the instancing mechanic in Ilum is a big problem too.

One instance will provide 100 players. So everyone, who will join the fight after the 100 will be sent in another Ilum instance.

Problem is, if there are 80 Empire and 20 Republic player in the first instance, the Reps will be steamrolled every time, because Rep reinforcements will be sent into the 2nd instance and therefore be of no help for their friends in the 1st instance.

At this moment I could say, hey BW/EA there is a good example which works in WoW. Is the copy paste button not working?

Example Tol'Barad where player from the stronger fraction will be only invited to the fight, when there are enough players from the other fraction to counterbalance it.

So there are even numbers and therefore a fair fight which requires tactics and better play to win the game.

But ok... back to the Zerg.

Does the engine in SWTOR even provide the setting for a clean and lagless Zerg?

It is possible , that there can clash 40vs40 people and play without serious performance issues?

But no, BW/EA bought the licence for a very very *beep* *beep* *beeeeeep* (yes keep your imagination alive) engine and smacked this thing onto the SWTOR project.

result: Diashow for people even with highend rigs.

Is this the result of the work, to make this game playable and therefore enjoyable for a wide variety of people?

What do the most think, why the WoW grafics are that outdated and slightly worked up in these 7 years? Yes, because of the fact, that everyone could play it and enjoy it without serious performance issues.

For me : older and WORKING engine >>> newer and not 100% working engine (and I clear statement about the Hero engine I cannot give, because of the curse filters)

So for me, as a dedicated PvP player, Ilum makes the impression on me, that BW/EA dont bother very much with the needs of a PvP player.

And I dont bother to read through the "sweet" promises from the devs, because they are only timefodders.

But ok... where were we? Yes, the Zerg.

Gladly there are the Warzones and for me ,as a normal thinking person, it is not too much demanded from the devs, to sit some time longer at the round table and design Warzones, which emphasize the need for tactics / avareness and better play.

But sadly this is not the case, because in all the Warzones we see the same zergpotential, but only with lesser players.

And I dont see the potential in the Warzones , that they will keep me entertained even the 1000th time I enter them.

Should I elaborate how many times I entered Warsong in WoW and I loved that every time?

Or AB? AV?

Because the design in the Battlegrounds emphasize tactics, quick reaction and teamwork, because there are much less zergpoints and therefore the player is more challenged to play better.

In SWTOR the player goes under in the zerg and it is sad, because I see no improvement of the SWTOR playerbase in PvP.

Empire favotirism:

1. CW in Alderaan, where the Imps are getting the 2 first tics of damage and therefore a slight advance in the ship health. (I had some very tight games, where even these 10 points decided the win of the game)

2. different abilities in the mirror classes are OK. But whats not OK is, that the Project of the Shadow / Sage takes 0.8sec to impact and damage and the Assassin / Sorc Shock is instant.

In PvE it makes little difference, but in PvP, where a half dead Marauder / Assassin / OP is able to vanish through my Project. That is not very funny, because in PvP a halfdead oponent can be back with full health some secs. on your throat, if he has an good healer in his back and / or is able to pick up a healthgoodie.

I think there is a similar problem with the trooper mortar volley and the BH DfA.

Nerfs where they werent needed, and not coming nerfs, where they are needed:

As a little reminder though, I dont play a Scoundrel or an OP, but the guys had a good frontal burst, but out of stealth they are naked and very kiteable.

If they dont kill something in the first seconds out of stealth, they wont even if the fight goes on.

I play a Shadow and they never , never ever were a real threat.

But if you see 4-5 Sorcs on the other side, wow, thats the time you realize that this game dont make fun.

In 1vs1 a Sorc / Sage is no problem, if you are quick and interrupt the skills. But if they group up, you can forget it to survive more than a few seconds, or even take one of the flock down, because the damage combined with the healing / shield are very much hard to cope with.

That is the same with the BH Mercs.

And the problem is, the Sorc / Sage on his own is not overpowered, nor is the BH Merc (OK a good skilled BH Powertech is), but the game design built around the all existent Zerg makes them hard to beat.

The game design in Ilum and in the Warzones favors the huddle and in this huddle these classes are hard.

So not the class is at fault, but the game design is.

And therefore my resume is, that BW/EA has to clean out the whole Zergproblem and change the system around it, to make this game more enjoyable.

But as a grownup, with no time for childish illusions, I know, that this isnt going to happen, and I know, that this will be SWTORs downfall.

Because Zerg, Zerg never keeps the player entertained on the long term.

(sorry for the following grammatical faults, I'm not a native englisch speaker)

I think we all know, that this game has some really serious problems to keep us entertained in the endgame.

Don't pretend you are talking for everyone, I am happy enough.

Shouldn't you fanboys be playing the game?

Shouldn't people who don't like a game just stop playing and move on? Shouldn't someone who likes a game be able to play it while at work?

Oh, and I don't wear glasses, never have.

Edited by Zgabu

Because Zerg, Zerg never keeps the player entertained on the long term.

Most of S Korea says hi, and kikikikiki, for about the last 15 years.

You don't like the game, go find one you do, and enjoy that. I enjoy TOR, PVP is fun when it's fun, not when it's not. Be selective, make friends, work together, accomplish stuff.

So many people can only see the bent blades of grass, and not the beautiful meadow laid out before them.

Shouldn't people who don't like a game just stop playing and move on? Shouldn't someone who likes a game be able to play it while at work?

Oh, and I don't wear glasses, never have.

People ask for constructive criticism instead of the doom and gloom threads. People do that and then you have these guys at the top shooting them down straight away.

The fanboys are just as bad as the haters/trolls. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

People ask for constructive criticism instead of the doom and gloom threads. People do that and then you have these guys at the top shooting them down straight away.

The fanboys are just as bad as the haters/trolls. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think the issue phrase like "we all know"

Edited by Selaik

Fans of the game love constructive criticism.

Problem here is this thread adds nothing new to the table. Maybe I missed something, but it's just a rehash of 100 other threads. Not saying there aren't good suggestions but the horse has been beat to death

The OP is upset he's republic and is on a server where the imps are organized for PVP. I'm an Imp on a server with well organized Rep PVP, it goes both ways, do some research, and roll a character on a server/faction more in tune with your interests, instead of slammin your face into a wall.

Being a "PVP focus'd player" in a clearly theme park MMO designed PRIMARILY around PVE, is not going to garner a rewarding experience, because the design was a bit poor and lead to exploiting the valor/daily/bag systems, for either side.

The "fanboys" you so wonderfully annointed made concise comments not directly attacking OP or screaming the BW can do no wrong. You sir, have just failed at trolling 101. THere are plenty of faults with the design/implementation of aspects of this game. Look at the bigger picture for once, try to have some fun, and don't get too miffed that people like to surf/comment on the forums during the afternoon at work.

This seems like a good critique on issues the OP has with the game. I won't pretend I have any idea what he is talking about as I have not been to Illum or played any PVP. I will never be into the game or possibly any game enough to know some of the things he is talking about. But, like another poster said bashing the OP for putting together a critique thread that is well written and lacking flames or trolling is just as bad as the haters that constantly create useless new threads simply to whine or get attention.

Of course I still believe that game critiques and suggestions shouldnt be in gen dis, but that seems to be the norm here.

i agree that pvp in this game is totally broke. I do not, though, agree with the more and more people posting saying that this wow clone is not enough like wow...

It doesnt have to be more like WoW, there has to be only a working system, with muss less zergcentered gameplay.

Less zerg, and that will be the day, there the nerf Sorc / Sage and Merc / Commando QQs will die out, because without the zerg, the classes are very much balanced.

But some classes are strongly favored by the zerg, and some are not.

I dont know, how many player are out there, who enjoy the limitless zerg in SWTOR, but I'm sorry, there are also many player, who despise the constant zerg and are hoping on better days in SWTOR.