Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

27 Gigabyte... Of what?

KiaThas

The file size of the game is by far the biggest game i've seen so far.

Single player Rpg's and larger Mmo's together only make up about 10GB.

Wow is now at 23GB after 4 expansions, and the majority of that was thrown on in cataclysm.

My point being, when you first install/download the game you expect an endless amount of content. But to the surprise there isn't much...

For example, there is only 3 pvp matches, the explorable area's dont really amount to much, there really arn't many armours.

I was reasoning with myself that the game has cutscenes, but then hundreds of single player games a filled to the brink with these and yet they can go down to 2-3 GB.

After getting to 50 down one side (republic) I fail to see where all the space is going?

I dont particularly have a big hard-drive and the games just constantly getting bigger. With there being so much open space to improve on it will do it rapidly. This is why its a bit of a concern for me.

Edited by KiaThas

My point being, when you first install/download the game you expect an endless amount of content. But to the surprise there isn't much...

For example, there is only 3 pvp matches, the explorable area's dont really amount to much, there really arn't many armours.

The whole OP can be cut down to this instead of the veiled attempt at putting the game down.

Wow is now at 23GB after 4 expansions, and the majority of that was thrown on in cataclysm.

It's a mystery! Come on Scooby, let's look for clues. What could the difference be? Let's ask Darth Baras...

Wait, he's... talking. But in WoW...

[ weeks of investigation into advanced software design ]

Hmm... it seems that audio might actually take up more space than text.

Mind == Blown

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft - 17.9 GB

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic - 19.5 GB

Largest folder in SWTOR folder is the "Assets" folder. Containing 90 ".TOR" files that add up to 16.8 GB.

My wow directory is 33.7gb

C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft - 17.9 GB

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic - 19.5 GB

Largest folder in SWTOR folder is the "Assets" folder. Containing 90 ".TOR" files that add up to 16.8 GB.

/facepalm. Why do you keep all your stuff on the same partition as your OS?

/facepalm. Why do you keep all your stuff on the same partition as your OS?

I only have one hard drive and this is a gaming system only, I have nothing but games.

If you think multiple partitions provides and additional security or stability let's see what happens when your single hard drive crashes.

The file size of the game is by far the biggest game i've seen so far.

Single player Rpg's and larger Mmo's together only make up about 10GB.

I was reasoning with myself that the game has cutscenes, but then hundreds of single player games a filled to the brink with these and yet they can go down to 2-3 GB.

After getting to 50 down one side (republic) I fail to see where all the space is going?

I dont particularly have a big hard-drive and the games just constantly getting bigger. With there being so much open space to improve on it will do it rapidly. This is why its a bit of a concern for me.

Audio files. They take up a LOT more space than anything else. Similarly why Age of Conan is so large, they have a lot of audio.

Probably the same reason his wow directory is 17gigs smaller than everyone else.

I re-installed WoW from scratch recently and do not have an active subscription to the game (haven't for months). So no add-ons or screenshots for WoW and no account. Just wanted the client downloaded/installed and somewhat up-to-date just in case my addiction to it kicks back in or if I decided to take a break from swtor.

I just opened the WoW launcher and I noticed it has started downloading additional updates, however.

Was just picking this folder to compare to the swtor folder to provide the op some info.

Edited by EscVelocity

I only have one hard drive and this is a gaming system only, I have nothing but games.

If you think multiple partitions provides and additional security or stability let's see what happens when your single hard drive crashes.

It's not about stability or security. If you have a single hard drive and it decides to die, then its not going to matter what partitioning scheme you use.

The point is segmentation and performance.

If you have a 1TB drive, you'll get better performance with:

[C: 120GB][D: 200GB][E: 680GB]

(System on C:, Games on D:, Everything Else on E:)

Than with:

[C: 1000GB]

With the former you get:

• A marginal performance increase due to ensuring that system files are on the outermost sectors of the drive, with games still fairly far out as well
  • A hard barrier to prevent the churn from system file or game files affecting each other and fragmenting or spreading files far apart from other similar files.
  • A pair of safe partitions should you ever need to completely reinstall Windows. Only C: needs to be wiped, the other two can remain.

I'm not going to say you're dumb for not doing it this way, but it's also not correct to say there's no benefit.

I love how you guys hijacked his "lack of content" thread.

Well, that topic was pretty much dead, right?

I mean, seriously? Why is SWTOR, with hours of audio, bigger than (as big as, somewhat similar in bigness to) WoW?

Does it really take a team of MI6 agents to track that answer down?

So, what else are we supposed to talk about? The fact that he didn't pay any attention to the hundreds of beta reviews, or the earth-shattering revelation that game quality and amount of content is not directly linked to the number of bits written to your hard drive?

At least the hijacked discussion is informative.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.