1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

Have you ever seen a high user score for an MMO in Metacritic?

Warcraft has 6.9 and Cataclysm has 5.2 with millions of subscribers that like it , DAOC and Guild Wars has high user scores but low subcribers.

You know why? because in MMOs like WOW or TOR theres a lot of variations in terms of who plays them from the college students,young teens,adults , educated adults,unemployed adults,hardcore,casuals ,mmo veterans,mmo newbies etc etc. I wonder how many of the 1500 fit in the mmo veteran/open world mmo vs the themepark ones.

Everyone looks for something different in MMOs and its hard to make all those millions happy.A lot of people that are playing TOR , hates the themepark MMOS like WOW and expected something revolutionary in this one.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

look at your precious wow scores on metacritic, they are even lower.. obvious that it cant be trusted since wow is a great game and 5.2 is just all the bitterness spilling out

I love how these fanboys are SOOOO quick to defend against 1500 gamers rating this game a 5.9

But I GUARANTEE if 50 of them(fanboys) got together and reviewed this game and gave it a 9.5, they'd swear allegiance to their blind fanboyism like if it was a religion.

The hypocrisy of these fanboys is stunning.

Edited by gnetikjakhammer

I'm giving it a solid 7 right now. Several things are really great, several things are really not so great. Alot of stuff is solid.

What would bump it up?

1. UI Customization/Combat Log/Mods

This alone would probably bump it up a full point. Many of my complaints are centered around this.

2. More "Open" worlds

Its very linear. I really would have liked to be able to explore huge planets, but I guess the way the game is it would require tons more then was possible at launch.

3. Gear/Character Modification

There is like what, a half dozen Lightsaber colors and they depend on stats and or alignment? They need to be customizable and/or have the stats removed and/or make an additional slot that is for the color gem. Leave stat gems in there, but make color only gems in an additional slot.

4 GTN and crafting items being largely useless

Enough said.

Have you ever seen a high user score for an MMO in Metacritic?

Warcraft has 6.9 and Cataclysm has 5.2 with millions of subscribers that like it , DAOC and Guild Wars has high user scores but low subcribers.

You know why? because in MMOs like WOW or TOR theres a lot of variations in terms of who plays them from the college students,young teens,adults , educated adults,unemployed adults,hardcore,casuals ,mmo veterans,mmo newbies etc etc. I wonder how many of the 1500 fit in the mmo veteran/open world mmo vs the themepark ones.

Everyone looks for something different in MMOs and its hard to make all those millions happy.A lot of people that are playing TOR , hates the themepark MMOS like WOW and expected something revolutionary in this one.

Very well said....though your sarcastic quote of Drew Karpyshyn still greatly upsets me. :p

What does high scoring mmos like Guild Wars,LOTR and DAOC have in common? Their communities are usually people that share the same likes and dislikes, LOTR usually are the RPers or pure PVErs ,etc etc , Relative small communities that like specific things on those games and get a high user scores yet never seem to get high volume of subcribers. TOR is just a month and a few days old , is going to be a different game in the next 3 months and 6.

I gave this game a 6 out of ten only because the game is waaay too hard for some classes. Gonna take them awhile to make the game balanced for all classes. Right now range is totally out of whack with melee

Some zones you go to you can be five lvls above mobs and they still almost kill you,..amazing ineptitude. The mathematics in this game are completely and utterly fubar'd

Edited by Jetsunz

I love how these fanboys are SOOOO quick to defend against 1500 gamers rating this game a 5.9

But I GUARANTEE if 50 of them(fanboys) got together and reviewed this game and gave it a 9.5, they'd swear allegiance to their blind fanboyism like if it was a religion.

It has nothing to do with being a fan boy....only a idiot would take metacritc seriously....and fans of the game don't have to get together for a stellar reveiw every major Game site and mainstream news organization is doing it for us.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

yes, lets allow 1500 people, a large portion of which has prolly not even played the game rate something.

polls like this are stupid, its like when BBC says "The UK population hates cheese" - sample of 100 people asked.

or if you are american, when they say they have asked 100 americans whether or not they like obama and then saying americans hate him.

This size pool is so small its pointless.

If you go to Wimbledon during tennis and ask 'Do you like to play Tennis' you will get a different result if you go to the Pie Eating Championships and ask the same question.

For those on both side this score means nothing and as with all things it is a personal preference, I like the game. it has faults, and what anoys me most is when I am told I shouldnt like the game.

It's not hypocrisy if it only happened in your head.

You toss out a hypothetical and then use it as evidence... lol.

Wait... your argument is that the OP is right because other people who disagree might also be full of crap?

and over a month of seeing this community, you doubt there is an excessive amount of blind fanboyism? Wow......maybe this community isn't as smart as I thought.

edit

not worth it

Edited by Selaik

The main problem is everyone in this forum some way or another needs to convince eachother that tor is either ****** or grreat. All i can say is who gives a ****? If you don't like the game then don't play it and if you do then continue. We as humans are not suppose to like everything that comes to us. We have choices and thats the point. There is no need to justify in these forums about how you find some site that has opinions of others and rating etc... I personally enjoy the game and yes i want somethings fixed, but to sit her and say swtor sucks and this game is failing is not gonna help it in anyway.

My opinion is if you don't like the game then why the hell are ou even posting in here? Go do something else. I have played my set of mmos and if i didn't feel for it or like it i just canceled my sub and bailed out. I didn't need to convince the small precentage of people in the forums about why they should unsub. Get over yourself. Who cares what 1500 people think. I am not a fanboy and I am no way defending swtor. I am just stating that this **** should happen period in any game forum.

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

you do realize that there is no restriction on how many accounts you make to vote on metacritic and that there is no way to tell if you actually played/own the game.

All of this doesn't matter all that maters is the amount of subs after 6 months.

Until then you are just wasting everyones time

4CHAN among other sites have already admitted that they sent their lamer friends to ruin the games score of metacrytic. Have you looked at some of the reviews? Its people who have given EVERY Bioware game EVER 0/10 for reasons like "Wow is better".

I call shenanigans.

Bogus.

No way to tell whether the people rating the game have actually played it except from comments, and at least some of those appear very dubious.

It isn't enough if a reported stat supports or contradicts your preferred position.

Reminds me of a political appointee editing scientific papers because they disagreed with a president's preferred policies. Not a good thing.

Edited by Gleneagle