1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

You can always enjoy this visual representation of the above score as well:

EDIT: Its up to 1,546 ratings now, still at 5.9

5.9 sounds about right. Good to see there is a way to get a somewhat accurate reading.

I could say the same about you if you feel this game is great, right? I guarantee you're not 50 yet, or you just hit it and haven't been 50 for more than a week. I've seen the trend on the forums where the fans turn into haters very quickly after hitting 50.

Level 50 for a couple of weeks and very much enjoying leveling my alt. The game is great and improving with every patch. It's far from perfect but no game is. Main thing is - it's worth my money. You really have to understand that there are a lot of people that honestly like the game. If you find it not worth your time because of lack of features you want - cancel your subscription and come back when/if they're implemented.

Your numbers are true.

600 People Rated the game anywhere between 0 and 4.

115 People Rated the game between 5 and 6.

831 People Rated the game anywhere between 7 and 10.

The Number of Mixed/Positive Ratings divided by the total comes out to... about 6.

Level 50 for a couple of weeks and very much enjoying leveling my alt. The game is great and improving with every patch. It's far from perfect but no game is. Main thing is - it's worth my money. You really have to understand that there are a lot of people that honestly like the game. If you find it not worth your time because of lack of features you want - cancel your subscription and come back when/if they're implemented.

Wait, what? Improving with every patch? You mean introducing new bugs and giving people seizures with flashing UIs? I'm glad it's worth your money, good for you. I do get it - some people really do like this game, it's just unfortunate that they don't yet realize how bad it is.

Wait, what? Improving with every patch? You mean introducing new bugs and giving people seizures with flashing UIs? I'm glad it's worth your money, good for you. I do get it - some people really do like this game, it's just unfortunate that they don't yet realize how bad it is.

Yes, it is improving. I'm sorry if you find more bugs but for me there's been nothing but improvement. It's just unfortunate that you don't realize that your opinion about the game does not make it good or bad.

The reason metacritic uses professional reviews in their metascore is that the pros are able to give objective opinions. This is something that many are not capable of (including youself). Using only user reviews would be catastrophically stupid, and would be littered with fanboys on either side of the fence.

5.9 seems about right to me.

Now if you asked me that first 2 weeks what score it was, I'd say a 9. So dam fun that launch week. Thought I would never stop playing this game

But after sifting through the sugar coating and after not drinking the kool-aid, the game is about as average as you can possibly get. So we're at a 7 or so. Couple that with the fact that this game had a bigger budget than any game in history, and the average feel of the game is simply unacceptable, unless of course you have NO standards.

5.9 is well deserved, I am sorry to say.

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Far more powerful and accurate? I think not sir. The fact is and always has been that aggregate sites like metacritic suffer from a phenomenon wherein mostly players with bad things to say show up in order to be overly critical. I would estimate upwards of 90% of the review scores gathered by users are in no way objective and they fail to consider the game as a whole. Usually the story goes that a player has a bad experience with a game and then finds everything in his/her power to destroy said game. This includes going to metacritic and reviewing the entire game based on their one complaint.

I'm not saying all of the user reviews are this way but I feel pretty confident in saying that very few of them are actually objective or even have a clue about how to really review something adequately.

Edited by Chevex

meh, public reviews are never reliable due to trolls.

i rely on my own experiences in game. my review after level capping my first toon:

1 being the lowest and 10 being the best

graphics: 8 (this would be higher if they had hi res character models)

sound: 6 (this would be higher if they added a loop music option and the ability to turn off my companions comments. i get tired of hearing mako during combat say "you alright?" and "im not just some pretty sidekick buster" so much that most of the time i turn the sound off)

control: 5 (because of the button shading screw up that they had right in the first place but now decide to screw it all to hell) ****change it back to the way it was to start with and this would be a 9 since ability delay has been fixed.

gameplay: 10 (its mixture of starfox (space missions) wow (mmo of course) and a basic platforming game ala mario brothers (datacrons) make this game one of the funnest gameplay experiences ive had in a while.

overall score: 7

the biggest issues i have with the game:

1. poor performance in highly populated zones (technical issues that they need to work out on ilum and the fleets)

2. faction imbalance (they need to do something to entice players to join the opposing faction on each server by maybe offering free server transfers from low populated servers to highly populated servers but only allow the transfer to the faction with low numbers.

3. ilum should have an instanced version that is cross server and allow battles against the same faction. basically raid vs raid/ empire vs empire/ republic vs republic/ empire vs republic.

4. on ilum make the kills between the gun turrets to the faction bases not count to prevent base camping, or just elevate each base like all the medcenters/speeder points are.

5. its still very easy to get stuck in environment.

6. fix the bug that allows more than 8 people to enter a warzone match on one team.

fix the above and it would be a 9 in my book

1500 RANDOM GAMERS?!

You do realize people spam accounts all the time on Metacritic and spam the games they don't like with random bad views.

Also, you're not taking into account the 3500 positive reviews, and that 1500/2,500,000 really doesn't mean anything.

The scores are all meaningless...

If you like it, then who cares if it got a 6/10 a 1/10 or a 10/10.... the only opinion you should care about is your own.. so go care, or not.. ... the choice is yours..

NO ONE FORCES YOU TO PLAY!

Besides I think a 5.9 is not that bad for a game still in BETA testing......... We are still in BETA testing right???? :p

1500 RANDOM GAMERS?!

You do realize people spam accounts all the time on Metacritic and spam the games they don't like with random bad views.

Also, you're not taking into account the 3500 positive reviews, and that 1500/2,500,000 really doesn't mean anything.

Oh sure it does.

(1500/2500000)=.0006 or .06%

Statistically insignificant, yes, but not nothing.

To be statistically significant a sample must at least equal 1%.

.06% just doesn't cut it.

Yea except for when you dont know whether those reviewers have even played the game or are just wow fanboys or if they just thought the tortanic meme was funny or people voted more than once from different accounts / computers.

To call it accurate is just ludicrous.

Out of all those reviews, how many are blind fanbois who rated it a 10, how many are haters who rated it below 5, how many are WoW players who never touched SWTOR that rated it a 0.

Fan reviews are garbage, so are paid reviews. If you need somebody else to tell you whether or not you should buy something, then I feel for you. I make my own decisions, if it's wrong and I wasted 60 bucks, then I guess it's peanut butter and jelly for a few weeks, big woop.

Oh look a critic site............

If I listened to critics i would have not seen half the moies that I have that I have enjoyed, same with random movie goers/fans.

My Enjoyment>Critics and other peoples opinion that I dont care about at all as I am enjoying the game.

I like the game and its fun for the wife and I, thats all that matters.

Edited by Darth_Grissom