1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

You can always enjoy this visual representation of the above score as well:

EDIT: Its up to 1,546 ratings now, still at 5.9

Edited by Proto

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, lets allow 1500 people, a large portion of which has prolly not even played the game rate something.

polls like this are stupid, its like when BBC says "The UK population hates cheese" - sample of 100 people asked.

or if you are american, when they say they have asked 100 americans whether or not they like obama and then saying americans hate him.

This size pool is so small its pointless.

Kind of interesting that more people rated it positive than negative.

Kind of interesting that it either gets a "10" or "1". So, people either love it or hate it. What esle is new?

The only rating that matters to me, is mine.

Otherwise, what is your point?

Edited by Force_Me

THEY WERE PAID TO SAY GOOD THINGS ABOUT BIOWARE STAR WARS GAME!!11!!

err Bad Things!!! Yeah! PAID I TELL YOU.

LOL. Tinfoil hat, angry QQ'rs because you can't one-shot out of ranged stealth... It's all there.

But but but...it won the Gamespy mmo of the year award, it must be good!:cool:

Everybody gets at least five "game of the year" awards if they spend enough money on advertising.

I'm giving the "Quip Great Damned Toy of the Year" award to LEGO, because I play with my kids and we have fun doing it.

Edited by Quip

I don't think Metacritic is right, or wrong for that matter.

I have seen a rating that was terrible on some amazing games.. from Metacritic.

I have also seen the ratings from there be pretty much spot on.

So as far as SWTOR goes.... yeah I'll pass on the metacritic score, mostly because people enjoying a game don't criticize it and those not enjoying it waste TOO much time criticizing, with nothing constructive.

Also: Why do I need to know what 1500 people think about something to judge my own experience?

Lol at all the people that gave it 1/10. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that an accurate score for the game.

But read some of the comments and it all makes sense. I mean really it isn't an MMO since it has instances in it and more then one server....

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

Wrong. That voting system is stuffed with a bunch of zeros.

That is not accurate either, that is only accurate if the percentage of users match the number of subscriptions. I don't think you are looking at a 10% of users subs so you are more than likely looking at a 1-3% of subs. Most stats allow a rate of error of 1% so that skews your numbers even more.

Kind of interesting that more people rated it positive than negative.

Kind of interesting that it either gets a "10" or "1". So, people either love it or hate it. What esle is new?

The only rating that matters to me, is mine.

Otherwise, what is your point?

^This, exactly...